g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Hoof the ball

That's the opposite of disengenous.
Yeah, was probably the wrong synonym. He's a dishonest reviewer. He's heralded on here as some kind of reliable and trustworthy reviewer but he clearly speaks from both sides of the mouth. He's been caught out on this a number of times, offering contradictory points a matter of weeks apart. He knows his audience and is quite willing to bend his own opinion to the consensus for more clicks.

At least ACG is consistent.

AaronRedDevil

Don't know why people are surprised. It's Bethesda. They haven't made a 10/10 game since Skyrim. And even that feels meh to me. Never really could get into their games. Fallout 4 was decent.

Ainu

Yeah, was probably the wrong synonym. He's a dishonest reviewer. He's heralded on here as some kind of reliable and trustworthy reviewer but he clearly speaks from both sides of the mouth. He's been caught out on this a number of times, offering contradictory points a matter of weeks apart. He knows his audience and is quite willing to bend his own opinion to the consensus for more clicks.

Nah, I watch his content regularly and none of what you're saying is true at all. He's had a few games where he came away from a hands on preview session with optimism, but was disappointed in the final product. That's not being dishonest. In any case, he usually provides more than enough context to explain why he changed his opinion on something.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Guy who did the IGN review didn’t even know you had to get a perk for stealth play, or that you could upgrade perks. Safe to say his review is in the bin. Forbes also called him out on it describing a 7 as ‘wild’.

hobbers

Guy who did the IGN review didn’t even know you had to get a perk for stealth play, or that you could upgrade perks. Safe to say his review is in the bin. Forbes also called him out on it describing a 7 as ‘wild’.
Reviewer calling out other reviewer for "wild" 7 rating review?

What a cretin

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Nothing wrong with updating your view based on fresh information or new experiences. Specific examples? I like both of them (and a few others).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Glad to hear it’s meh.
It doesn’t seem to be meh. It’s basically got the same meta critic rating as of now as FF16 which was supposed to be a very good game albeit with only 51 reviews counter, so that’s subject to change. It doesn’t seem to be an absolute must play / one of the greats or anything but a strong game nonetheless based on most reviews. If you’re looking for a Bethesda experience it’s one you’ll definitely have a lot of fun with, if you’re not to keen on that, there’s nothing to be missed here.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Won’t spoiler owt as I’m only 4 hours in but I really like it so far.

Definitely Bethesdas most polished game on release. Even the 30fps seems ok, very steady and playable.

Skyrim in space is fine by me.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It doesn’t seem to be meh. It’s basically got the same meta critic rating as of now as FF16 which was supposed to be a very good game albeit with only 51 reviews counter, so that’s subject to change. It doesn’t seem to be an absolute must play / one of the greats or anything but a strong game nonetheless based on most reviews. If you’re looking for a Bethesda experience it’s one you’ll definitely have a lot of fun with, if you’re not to keen on that, there’s nothing to be missed here.
Considering how inflated reviews scores are and AAA games tend to get extra love from the reviewers 87 isnt very high. Diablo IV got 91 on Xbox one and that a incredibly mediore game.

b82REZ

I massively disagree. I'm happy to see reviewers switch stances if a game isn't representative of what they played in a curated session with the devs. I'd say the fact that he occasionally changes his mind on a product shows that he's a reliable reviewer who isn't scared to say a game is bad regardless of what he may have previously said.

Lemoor

Considering how inflated reviews scores are and AAA games tend to get extra love from the reviewers 87 isnt very high. Diablo IV got 91 on Xbox one and that a incredibly mediore game.
Unfortunately, the moment publishers started specifically targeting metacritic scores, they made them completely useless as a tool for consumers.
And its not like review scores were ever a good thing to base opinions on.

Castia

Weird one. The 2 gaming sites I use are IGN and Gamespot so seeing two 7/10’s I was expecting a flop but fair play other sites seem to be scoring it high

Ainu

Aggregate scores are fine to vaguely gauge where a game sits, but comparing the exact scores is pointless. Starfield currently sits on 88 on Opencritic, which is similar to other AAA titles like FF XVI, FF VII Remake, Spider-Man, Nier Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, etc. All good to great games depending on who you ask.

It's not up there with generation defining games like The Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild, but it doesn't have to be. There seems to be this idea that it had to be either that or a failure. No, "just" being a very good game is more than good enough.

It's worth noting that something like Bloodborne is "only" sitting on a 91 OC rating, which puts it a whopping 3 points ahead of Starfield at the moment. Yet Bloodborne is routinely regarded among the greatest games of all time.

Short summary: aggregate ratings are useful but not definitive.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Definitely Bethesdas most polished game on release. Even the 30fps seems ok, very steady and playable.

Managed to drag your old arse out of bed after your Horlicks session eh? ;)

I've had a right touch. Made it all the way into that shithole London, right in the center (driving btw, pain!) only to pull up and have the client cancel. So now although I have to make it home in the miserable rain with the twunts on the road, I can charge a fat fee which more than pays for Starfield and the next few days off and I get to sit on my arse playing this all weekend.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does:

Volumiza

Managed to drag your old arse out of bed after your Horlicks session eh? ;)

I've had a right touch. Made it all the way into that shithole London, right in the center (driving btw, pain!) only to pull up and have the client cancel. So now although I have to make it home in the miserable rain with the twunts on the road, I can charge a fat fee which more than pays for Starfield and the next few days off and I get to sit on my arse playing this all weekend.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does:

Happy days! Congrats.

So far it’s good at 6 - 7 hours in. Really the only thing that has been a slight negative so far is the transition between space and surface. That is something that I wish was possible but I’ve already decided it ain’t a game breaker for me, it’s just like going through any door in a Bethesda game IMO so I’m cool with it. Ultimately dude, it’s almost precisely what I expected and hoped for so far. Anyone expecting any more from it were bound to be a bit disappointed.

From what I’ve played of the rest of it, it more than tickles my sci fi / Skyrim nerve and it runs and looks great on series X … I am still early on mind you. Like you, I’ve got pretty much the whole weekend at it.

Fans of Oblivion / Skyrim / Fallout / Bethesda will find enjoyment I reckon.

Gehrman

Unfortunately, the moment publishers started specifically targeting metacritic scores, they made them completely useless as a tool for consumers.
And its not like review scores were ever a good thing to base opinions on.
Nah i always found them somewhat reliable untill triple A games got inflated scores for production values. And the reviewers probably got paid off. But we are all different. Some thing Horizen zero dawn is incredible and has a brilliant story. I thought it was god awful robot dinosaur hunting with a terrible story.

Gehrman

Im 10 minutes in and I find it incredibly buggy. Playing on PC.

Edit: Mine is so buggy its borderline unplayable and I have a strong enough rig. Freezing animations, people talking with a freezed face. Massive lag every time a new area is being rendered.

Last edited:

Volumiza

Im 10 minutes in and I find it incredibly buggy. Playing on PC.

Edit: Mine is so buggy its borderline unplayable and I have a strong enough rig. Freezing animations, people talking with a freezed face. Massive lag every time a new area is being rendered.
I ain’t had none of that dude. Barely a dropped frame so far.

quadrant

Aggregate scores are fine to vaguely gauge where a game sits, but comparing the exact scores is pointless. Starfield currently sits on 88 on Opencritic, which is similar to other AAA titles like FF XVI, FF VII Remake, Spider-Man, Nier Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, etc. All good to great games depending on who you ask.

It's not up there with generation defining games like The Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild, but it doesn't have to be. There seems to be this idea that it had to be either that or a failure. No, "just" being a very good game is more than good enough.

It's worth noting that something like Bloodborne is "only" sitting on a 91 OC rating, which puts it a whopping 3 points ahead of Starfield at the moment. Yet Bloodborne is routinely regarded among the greatest games of all time.

Short summary: aggregate ratings are useful but not definitive.
I don't think that for gamers it needs to be a GOTY contender, if you have an XBox then its just another fun game you can play this year.

However I think Microsoft needed this to be a 10 out of 10. The lack of Xbox exclusives (among the consoles) is something they really need to address, and the acquisition of Bethesda was clearly done with this in mind. They spoke at the time about becoming an industry-leading first-party dev and their struggles with Sony exclusivity. Quite simply, MS need this game to drive people to Xbox and Gamepass. If its just another solid game, no better or worse than half a dozen other games that will be out this year, then I think its failed in that objective.

DavelinaJolie

Meh. I used to write music reviews for websites and stuff. The worst part of the process is you spend hours trying to craft a well written review that accurately portrays your views and feelings about something, then you have to spend time trying to differentiate between it being a 7 or an 8. Then reading it back to yourself and fecking around with the number some more because you can't quite capture what fits with the text you've written. Even choosing to give something a 10 is a ballache because it's a rather definitive statement.

I can be understand the value of quick glance numbers to people, but the obsession with metacritic scores is absolutely perverse. The extreme end is mental, sending abuse because someone gave a game a 7, which pulled the metacritic score down. But the obsession over a few points here and there is, ultimately, dumb. Especially when the people overreacting haven't even played the game when the initial score hits.

Hands-on experience on a good rig from someone who paid for early access

Gehrman

For me its more broken than Cyberpunk on my pc and I have a good rig. Audio sync issues, stuttering constantly, bugs all over the place. I literally have never played a game more broken on launch and I paid extra 20 quid for early acess. I dont know why its running fine for others and completely broken for people like me. My other games are running fine.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
For me its more broken than Cyberpunk on my pc and I have a good rig. Audio sync issues, stuttering constantly, bugs all over the place. I literally have never played a game more broken on launch and I paid extra 20 quid for early acess. I dont know why its running fine for others and completely broken for people like me. My other games are running fine.
I’m surprised by this as even some of the review scores on the lower end have generally praised how few bugs there are, I think ACG mentioned he had a few companions who glitched and that was about it. Is there anything in particular that triggers it or is it just random constant bugs you’re experiencing?

Gehrman

I’m surprised by this as even some of the review scores on the lower end have generally praised how few bugs there are, I think ACG mentioned he had a few companions who glitched and that was about it. Is there anything in particular that triggers it or is it just random constant bugs you’re experiencing?
Constant lag within every encounter, missing audio lypsync and audio. Just bugs and bugs. Recommend graphic settings low despite having a good rig i got last autumn. Having everything on low didnt help. Tried installing a nvidia drls mod that didnt help and maybe made things worse. So redownloading and reinstalling the game on steam on the other harddrive to see if it somehow works.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Constant lag within every encounter, missing audio lypsync and audio. Just bugs and bugs. Recommend graphic settings low despite having a good rig i got last autumn. Having everything on low didnt help. Tried installing a nvidia drls mod that didnt help and maybe made things worse. So redownloading and reinstalling the game on steam on the other harddrive to see if it somehow works.
That’s so shit, especially when you’ve paid for early access

Volumiza

Hopefully that works for you dude.

Gehrman

Hopefully that works for you dude.
I cant see why it would work though. Im reading tons of people having the same issues on the steam forums with even higher end computers. Waiting months for a patch that hopefully might work really sucks ass.

Volumiza

I cant see why it would work though. Im reading tons of people having the same issues on the steam forums with even higher end computers. Waiting months for a patch that hopefully might work really sucks ass.
Yes dude.

The closest I’ve got to a bug is getting stuck on some stairs behind my companion.

Gehrman

Yes dude.

The closest I’ve got to a bug is getting stuck on some stairs behind my companion.
Well thats the beauty of consoles. No troubleshooting because everyone is playing on the same.

avgp_1

Yeah reading the reviews on Reddit dont think I'll be getting 60fps on my 3070. Might have to drop down to low/medium settings

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'm sure on their podcast he said he didn't even experience Factions til 75 hours in with his review tied up already. Theres obviously some fair frustrations with the game, but he was always going to score it lower after all the shit he got for giving Fallout 4 a 10. And we know IGNs traffic is mostly PS focussed :smirk:

If Ryan M had reviewed it (not cherry picking him, he's their 2nd reviewer), you're looking at a 9-10. Then Gamespot becomes an outlier and Metacritics weighted score becomes 90+. Shows how silly it is to let these scores rule the narrative really.

Macern

Pee pee pants
4 hours left of work today and then I’m going to spend the entire weekend gaming this. Oblivion is my favourite game ever with Skyrim not too far behind, and Interstellar is my favourite movie ever so this should be right up my alley.

I still play and finish Oblivion once every other year, hopefully this can keep me occupied until TES VI in 5 years.