Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I know there's a lot of discussion in the xbox thread about this. But I am so pumped for this now that I thought it deserved its own thread.

Who'll be getting on this. I fully expect to lose many hours to this. As many as I lost to Frontier: Elite II when I were a lad.

How will you be playing this? Trader? Explorer? Space Pirate? Bounty hunter?

Review embargo is due to be lifted soon. I hope its as well received as I want it to be.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
In games like this I normally go in, check a bit of everything out and then decide what will be the most fun path mechanics wise.

I just really hope the space dogfighting is decent more than anything else.

Nickosaur

Hadn't been paying much attention to this until there was that 45 min deepdive a few months ago. Since then I've been pretty hyped.

I remember the Fallout 4 launch - while it wasn't outstanding I still look back on it fondly and remember being addicted for the first month. These games are like crack.

I'll get this free on gamepass for the first playthrough but likely buy in on sale for steam in a year when the best mods/patches etc are available.

Simbo

Not going to be done with bg3 for when this comes out, but yeh I'd expect this one to not be quite ready at launch, so happy to wait for it.

Redlambs

Hadn't been paying much attention to this until there was that 45 min deepdive a few months ago. Since then I've been pretty hyped.

I remember the Fallout 4 launch - while it wasn't outstanding I still look back on it fondly and remember being addicted for the first month. These games are like crack.

I'll get this free on gamepass for the first playthrough but likely buy in on sale for steam in a year when the best mods/patches etc are available.
I'm 100% buying it on steam even though I have gamepass.

It's just so much better.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Won't come out this year

Coxy

Won't come out this year
Gone gold mate. It's coming. Review copies about to be sent out if not already too.

Anyway on topic - yeah can't wait for this. It's why I've not bought BG3 - saving myself for Starfield. Will be playing on my X - sadly I can't play till the 7th as I'm on holiday so I can't wait.

Skyrim is my GOAT - so I'm praying this turns out as good.

Coxy

In games like this I normally go in, check a bit of everything out and then decide what will be the most fun path mechanics wise.

I just really hope the space dogfighting is decent more than anything else.
I'm not confident about the space dogfighting - looks the weakest aspect for me.

Nickosaur

Review copies are out there and embargo lifts one day before early access.

Am I being blindly optimistic in hoping this will buck the bethesda trend and won't be a bug ridden mess at launch?

Redlambs

I'm not confident about the space dogfighting - looks the weakest aspect for me.
I'm not confident about most of the gameplay elements...it's Bethesda.

But I am confident that like Skyrim, most of the issues will be quickly smoothed out by modders.

Am I being blindly optimistic in hoping this will buck the bethesda trend and won't be a bug ridden mess at launch?
Yes.

But we can still hope nonetheless.

DavelinaJolie

I'll give it a go, but to be honest the setting doesn't really do a lot for me, neither does the NMS-ish ness of some of it.

If I don't get on with it I'll just fire up Super-Skyrim Anniversary Gold-plated Cock Zenith edition and play that.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I have played No Man Sky for what seems like a decade....until a year ago there was nothing really to accomplish except dying. I am looking forward to this but I was not really a fan of Fallout and I am a little anxious that it will be a blend of No Man Sky and Fallout. I suck at FPS games.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I have played No Man Sky for what seems like a decade....until a year ago there was nothing really to accomplish except dying. I am looking forward to this but I was not really a fan of Fallout and I am a little anxious that it will be a blend of No Man Sky and Fallout. I suck at FPS games.
Fallout isn't an FPS game

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, but the videos of Starfield show a lot of FPS. Fallout was just not for me. I should not have ran both thoughts about what it might be together like that.

hobbers

Whinging about trolls pretending to be gearing up for review bombing is worse than review bombing.

Siorac

Fallout 4 kind of is, what with the RPG elements being watered down to the extent that they're more 'flavour' than anything else. I'd say it's more of an FPS with RPG elements than the other way around.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Probably gonna buy an Xbox for this, because feck it, why not.

I hope Bethesda somehow managed to create decent combat and shooting mechanics though I'm sure they haven't.

Simbo

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Fallout 4 kind of is, what with the RPG elements being watered down to the extent that they're more 'flavour' than anything else. I'd say it's more of an FPS with RPG elements than the other way around.
It doesn't play like an fps though. You can shoot someone in the head twenty times without them dying if levels, perks etc. are mismatched.

You can also choose to just batter folk with melee or fists.

redcucumber

Oblivion, Fallout, and Skyrim were amazing. High hopes that this follows the trend

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Ive started to replay Fallout New Vegas to get used to the Bethesda jankiness in anticipation for this

It looks and plays awful but Im finding myself loving it all over again

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bethesda games are utter shite. On launch they are buggy as hell and after months of patching they just cause more problems. With every new game they provide less and less content, and what they do provide is an absolute mess.

I can't wait to play it for 500+ hours starting on Day One.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Bethesda games are utter shite. On launch they are buggy as hell and after months of patching they just cause more problems. With every new game they provide less and less content, and what they do provide is an absolute mess.

Ha, true. Same for me too. Just hope it’s more Skyrim than Fallout.

Nickosaur

:lol:
I think it's testament to the worlds they create that despite the (valid) problems you describe they are still utterly addictive and generally great fun.

Had some serious problems with Fallout 4 but overall must have racked up 150 hours on that across a couple of playthroughs.

Volumiza

Ive started to replay Fallout New Vegas to get used to the Bethesda jankiness in anticipation for this

It looks and plays awful but Im finding myself loving it all over again
I started Fallout 4 again a few weeks back. It was ok but I did get a bit bored of all the brown.

Loaded Skyrim back up for about the millionth hour.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ha, true. Same for me too. Just hope it’s more Skyrim than Fallout.
Skyrim in Space is what I'm hoping for too. In fact I hope modders very quickly add dragons to it.

:lol:
I think it's testament to the worlds they create that despite the (valid) problems you describe they are still utterly addictive and generally great fun.

Had some serious problems with Fallout 4 but overall must have racked up 150 hours on that across a couple of playthroughs.
I think you're right - the world building is always so damn good. That and when you die and your character is blasted into the sky spinning around like a ragdoll.

Volumiza

Skyrim in Space is what I'm hoping for too. In fact I hope modders very quickly add dragons to it.

I think you're right - the world building is always so damn good. That and when you die and your character is blasted into the sky spinning around like a ragdoll.
No man’s Skyrim looks about right to me dude.

Volumiza

Big moment for the Xboxers. They’ve put everything on this game.
Yes dude. Personally I can’t wait as it’s the game I bought one for but I can’t wait to get back to my ps5.

Don’t think I’ve been less interested in gaming since I booted this thing up. Just nowt worth playing that ain’t been played so Starfield best hit the spot!