g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The console twats on twitter/reddit falling over themselves to either claim it can never beat BG3 or blaming BG3 for any less than perfect reviews is hilarious :lol:

Gotta hand it to the Xbots particularly, they really know how to oversell the occasional game they get for themselves!

Yes dude. Personally I can’t wait as it’s the game I bought one for but I can’t wait to get back to my ps5.

Don’t think I’ve been less interested in gaming since I booted this thing up. Just nowt worth playing that ain’t been played so Starfield best hit the spot!
It's going to be the first time in about 6months my boy is going to fire our X up. I really hope it's superb!

Macern

Pee pee pants
Oblivion is my favourite game of all time, and Skyrim isn’t far behind. Just preordered the digital premium edition, can’t wait

pacifictheme

Feel a bit sorry for starfield as it's probably going to be overshadowed by bg3, which seems like a once in a generation type game (not played it yet).

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's a good time for the xbots to finally lord something over us sonybros. At least for a month anyway until our next masterpiece HBO drama blows the gaming world in two (and your minds with it).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Oblivion is my favourite game of all time, and Skyrim isn’t far behind. Just preordered the digital premium edition, can’t wait
Kind of agree there mate even though I’ve put more hours into Skyrim than almost any game since Kick off 2!

I got made redundant from my then job the week before Christmas in 2007. I got Oblivion for my ps3 over that Christmas. Took me nearly 5 months to get a job, I was so content to be unemployed for a while :lol:

Ainu

Feel a bit sorry for starfield as it's probably going to be overshadowed by bg3, which seems like a once in a generation type game (not played it yet).
Nah, Starfield is easily big enough not to get overshadowed by any other game. BG3 will have an effect on the discourse surrounding the game, sure, and on end of year awards and stuff like that, but I don't think any of that will really harm the game or Bethesda.

It feels much bigger and more hotly anticipated than Fallout 4 back in 2015 for example, which I guess did make a weak impression considering The Witcher 3's impact on open-world gaming several months earlier.

Coxy

Nah, Starfield is easily big enough not to get overshadowed by any other game. BG3 will have an effect on the discourse surrounding the game, sure, and on end of year awards and stuff like that, but I don't think any of that will really harm the game or Bethesda.

It feels much bigger and more hotly anticipated than Fallout 4 back in 2015 for example, which I guess did make a weak impression considering The Witcher 3's impact on open-world gaming several months earlier.
I agree, but I'd say that's more because Xbox has so much riding on this than the actual game if you see what I mean.

Ainu

I agree, but I'd say that's more because Xbox has so much riding on this than the actual game if you see what I mean.
There is that, but also the huge time gap since their last big single-player title (8 years now) plus this being their first major original IP since... well basically since The Elder Scrolls Arena in 1994, if we ignore all the smaller titles developed by Bethesda Softworks back in the day.

Coxy

There is that, but also the huge time gap since their last big single-player title (8 years now) plus this being their first major original IP since... well basically since The Elder Scrolls Arena in 1994, if we ignore all the smaller titles developed by Bethesda Softworks back in the day.
Yeah fair point re new IP.

Shark

@NotShark
As critically acclaimed as BG3 is, is it still not kind of an acquired taste/niche? Turn based RPG's don't really appeal to myself anyway, and many of my friends, where as a proper open world RPG's like TW3, Skyrim and Fallout would always be more widely anticipated. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ainu

As critically acclaimed as BG3 is, is it still not kind of an acquired taste/niche? Turn based RPG's don't really appeal to myself anyway, and many of my friends, where as a proper open world RPG's like TW3, Skyrim and Fallout would always be more widely anticipated. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You would think so, but at least on PC, it seems to go way beyond niche, as it sits at the 9th highest concurrent players peak on Steam. Not of this month or anything, of all time. How that translates to consoles is anyone's guess, as this type of game is generally more at home on PC, but it's fair to expect it won't be anything less than an enormous commercial success there too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yes dude. Personally I can’t wait as it’s the game I bought one for but I can’t wait to get back to my ps5.

Don’t think I’ve been less interested in gaming since I booted this thing up. Just nowt worth playing that ain’t been played so Starfield best hit the spot!
Scenes when it's pants

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hope not chap, I’m quite optimistic about it. You?
For sure. I'm hoping the worlds aren't entirely barren rock and there's enough going on to keep it interesting. If that's the case, I think it'll be wonderful.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For sure. I'm hoping the worlds aren't entirely barren rock and there's enough going on to keep it interesting. If that's the case, I think it'll be wonderful.
Cool, I don’t think I’ve seen anything in all the footage that I’m concerned about. Can’t deny I was a bit disappointed regarding the frame rate but I’m just gonna say a few ohms and deal with that. Everything else looks brill. Owt sci fi and I’m already invested, Chuck Bethesda rpg on top and it’s potentially happy days and goodbye life, family and friends for a while :)

It’s been a while since I looked forward to a game as much. Here’s hoping / praying!

Nickosaur

Anyone read the developer Q&A from a few days ago?
(title says major spoilers but I didn't encounter anything I'd class as spoilery)

The stuff about the three new religions intrigued me. Never took much notice of religion in the Elder Scrolls games but these sound cool.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Aha just found out that it will be available on the PC Game pass - £1 for 14 days trial so I'll try that and see if my ageing system can handle it.

pacifictheme

You would think so, but at least on PC, it seems to go way beyond niche, as it sits at the 9th highest concurrent players peak on Steam. Not of this month or anything, of all time. How that translates to consoles is anyone's guess, as this type of game is generally more at home on PC, but it's fair to expect it won't be anything less than an enormous commercial success there too.
Yeah everybody who has used a controller on pc says it works really well, many are choosing to use it over keyboard and mouse, so that barrier to playing is gone.

Shark

@NotShark
Fair enough. Still though, I can't see any overshadowing happening here personally.

Simbo

Yeh but its turning people. Seen a lot of comments like "I don't like this kind of game normally, BUT..."

BristolRuss

My PC should be fine but I'm hearing now there's going to be little to no image rendering tech like DLSS :nervous:
It's an AMD sponsored game, so no DLSS which is a real shame. But the rumours are that FSR3 is going to be launching with Starfield, so maybe that ends up being good?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
My PC should be fine but I'm hearing now there's going to be little to no image rendering tech like DLSS :nervous:
It's an AMD sponsored game, so no DLSS which is a real shame. But the rumours are that FSR3 is going to be launching with Starfield, so maybe that ends up being good?
Nah it's trash AMD FSR.

But DLSS will be modded in very quickly.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s tempting to get the early access but seems a bit daft when it’s one of the best reasons to have Game Pass. Will let the more money than sense crowd iron out the early bugs :wenger:

I’m preloaded and ready to roll though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
“16 times the detail”

Please don’t screw this one up Todd.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'll give it a go and then go back to Baldurs Gate 3 when the hype hasn't lived up to expectations again. I'll be surprised if it's good, I'm expecting mediocre as most of these sci-fi open world types end up being.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'll give it a go and then go back to Baldurs Gate 3 when the hype hasn't lived up to expectations again. I'll be surprised if it's good, I'm expecting mediocre as most of these sci-fi open world types end up being.
you will almost certainly be disappointed

the Rest of us will probably have a great ol time

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Everything looks a bit too clean and flat from what I've seen so far, probably explaining it shite but don't know how else to say it.

I'm interested in it though and may have to grab an Xbox or borrow one to play it

hobbers

Nothing impressive about putting loads of irrelevant boring samey shit in a game.

All hinges on whether these worlds and quest lines/side missions feel unique and are actually interesting.

Dan

Hmm £479 for a Series X or £299 for the new black 1TB Series S, not sure what to do.