g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The obsessive fans and detractors this has attracted are genuinely bizarre. There are 40% out there ready to love it no matter what, another 40% ready to destroy it no matter what and the rest of us like 'Well, let's see if this is any good'.
Bit bizarre any gamer wanting something to be shit, always has been. But this time it's obviously mostly the jealous Sony boys.

I'm waiting for the PSVR2 version, but in general, is it good?
Phas? Yeah it's excellent if it clicks with you. Fantastic if you have a group of players, and especially someone you like trying to get killed. I highly recommend @RedSky for that :lol: And is updated a lot. In VR it is probably one of the scariest games you can play, even to this day some of the jump scares still get me.

It is still great in non-VR too and it's not something you'll tire of if you like it, so there's nothing to ruin by waiting. In fact, even though originally the game was built for VR, you'll probably learn better at the start normally.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Sea of Stars coming to PS Plus
On the one hand I'm thinking about playing this on Game Pass and letting Starfield get a patch or two first, on the other hand I kind of want to see how broken Starfield is at launch

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bit bizarre any gamer wanting something to be shit, always has been. But this time it's obviously mostly the jealous Sony boys.

Phas? Yeah it's excellent if it clicks with you. And is updated a lot. In VR it is probably one of the scariest games you can play, even to this day some of the jump scares still get me.
I don't mind jump scares so much, well defo check it out

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems like it'll have crossplay, so hit me up if you want a game. A bunch of us on the caf discord play it too, though we are all back at noob status now so it's fun :lol:
Ok mate I'm down for sure

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Indeed. But as usual the xbots are missing the joke :lol:

Funny thing is, I'll undoubtedly visit more of these planets than most in here. And that isn't a joke, I'll be getting all OCD about it as I always do.
Not gamed much recently, but I’ll be getting this, and regarding the bolded this will be a nightmare for me. I just know I’ll waste a lot of time but I won’t be able to fight the urge and let things pas

Last edited:

Redlambs

Ok mate I'm down for sure
I've only just seen the console versions have been delayed. But definitely let me know when you want a game!

Not gamed much, but I’ll be getting this, and regarding the bolded this will be a nightmare for me. I just know I’ll waste a lot of time but I won’t be able to fight the urge and let things pas
I wasn't joking in here when I said I thought the Mako sections of the first Mass Effect were great fun for me. I could land on a planet and search the whole thing happily, and I won't be able to resist trying every single one I see in this. I'll likely never complete this game because of it :lol:

Although they have made big talk about NG+ being some new idea and the start of the actual game, so I'm intrigued by that too.

Dan

I wasn't joking in here when I said I thought the Mako sections of the first Mass Effect were great fun for me. I could land on a planet and search the whole thing happily, and I won't be able to resist trying every single one I see in this. I'll likely never complete this game because of it :lol:
I loved that shit too, I was so gutted when it wasn’t in the later games.

Fully Fledged

Not long now.

Reviews should be out this time tomorrow
Yeah hoping that the people I trust have good things to say about it. Still not paying the £31.50 for the EA though either way. I will keep out of the thread and watch what I look at on YouTube for 5 days. It's going to be tough.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Yeah hoping that the people I trust have good things to say about it. Still not paying the £31.50 for the EA though either way. I will keep out of the thread and watch what I look at on YouTube for 5 days. It's going to be tough.
I've paid it. The way I see it, I haven't paid for the actual game. So this small outlay is worth it. Plus you get the additional content (when available). I've told the missus she's on her own tomorrow night.

Nickosaur

No early access for me so I'll try and keep off the internet for the next week.

Still probably check in here daily :lol:

Siorac

I wasn't joking in here when I said I thought the Mako sections of the first Mass Effect were great fun for me. I could land on a planet and search the whole thing happily
Why though? :lol: They were literally empty, save for one copypasted building!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Interesting to see what comes out of todays reviews. How often do reviewers get a full 2 weeks with a game of this size? Hopefully means some depth is appreciated that might be missed in others, but I'm sure some warts will show too.

Redlambs

Why though? :lol: They were literally empty, save for one copypasted building!
A gaming OCD thing :lol:

It's up for preload on Steam now. Unfortunately I have to go into the dump that is London for work tomorrow, so hopefully I can get out of there as quickly as possible and dive in.

Another glorious Locky hedging bets post I see too!

Alock1

A gaming OCD thing :lol:

It's up for preload on Steam now. Unfortunately I have to go into the dump that is London for work tomorrow, so hopefully I can get out of there as quickly as possible and dive in.

Another glorious Locky hedging bets post I see too!
Not at all. I think its going to score great and be a big success. I use to think they were in a bit of a lose lose situation with half the audience wanting Fallout in space and the other half hating that idea. Big expectations on it and extra pressure as an Xbox exclusive but the direct a few months back gave me confidence it'll be great.

Its definitely going to have its blemishes though. What game doesn't? Nevermind one of this size/scope and dev history.

Redlambs

Not at all. I think its going to score great and be a big success. I use to think they were in a bit of a lose lose situation with half the audience wanting Fallout in space and the other half hating that idea. Big expectations on it and extra pressure as an Xbox exclusive but the direct a few months back gave me confidence it'll be great.

Its definitely going to have its blemishes though. What game doesn't? Nevermind one of this size/scope and dev history.
Let's be honest, it's probably going to be god awful when we get our hands on it and people start breaking it instantly.

Still, I can't help but be a sucker and get absolutely hyped. I'm even trying to get out of work tomorrow because I'd actually all nighter this if I can :lol:

Herman Toothrot

I hope this game is good, because who doesn't like good games? But I am enjoying the deep breath before the plunge. Never felt like so many people and one massive company had so much riding on the reviews of one game.

Siorac

I hope this game is good, because who doesn't like good games? But I am enjoying the deep breath before the plunge. Never felt like so many people and one massive company had so much riding on the reviews of one game.
The reviews are pretty much guaranteed to be glowing, I think. Which doesn't mean all that much: Fallout 4 was universally praised by critics, too...

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
If id actually finish every one of these large games like I did with the Witcher 3, then between the GTA, RDR, AC, BG3, ES, and this Id never be able to leave the house.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I bought the premium just to get early acess. Feel like such a mug. It's a great scheme to extort extra money from the consumers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Shhhh! You guys know she'll feck us all up if she reads this!

Btw, anyone played Phas of late? I've just seen there's a big update and they've finally redone the progression system...
I played it a couple of nights ago and the update is decent.

The reviews are in...

evil_geko

From a review that was quickly removed from YouTube because of NDA.

He praised the graphics and the ships, saying they were incredible.

He also praised the performance, he played it on the xbox series x and according to him, the performance was way above average compared to other recently released games.

Although the game is running at 30 fps, he pointed out that the game camouflages this very well and even at 30 fps, it is an extremely fluid experience with a few drops that are not occasional.

The npcs are interesting, in the Bethesda standard, but the facial expressions are really disappointing and although they have improved compared to previous titles, they are not revolutionary and are somewhere between average and below average.

Another very relevant thing was the AI, he played in normal mode and according to him, the AI is very dumb. he pointed out that there were many other difficulties above normal but he didn't test to see if the AI improved on higher difficulties. He judged the game to be easy.

On gameplay and animations: simply very enjoyable, everything has weight, the animation of the doors opening is very fluid and he described it as one of the strongest parts of the game. Combat is walking forward and shooting, mainly because of the AI, but he said it's still very enjoyable and that despite being relatively linear, it's still very enjoyable combat.

Now, the quests. in his words, they have a similar basic structure, but even so, they are very captivating and hold the player. he claims to have spent many late nights trying to finish specific quests because they hold him so much and excite him so much. He didn't say much about the main campaign so as not to give away spoilers, but according to him, it's extremely good and certainly Bethesda's best campaign.

One of his criticisms of exploration was the lack of a mini-map and a guidebook. It's extremely difficult to find your way around and the player often finds himself lost in a gigantic city and has no idea what to do. According to him, the game will get much better when the guidebooks start coming out, since the game itself doesn't present most of its mechanics to the player, leaving him lost and forcing him to figure it out on the fly.

Another criticism was the inventory management, which he says is very limiting, his ship only carries 400 kilos and he said that the inventory is always full and he is always too heavy to run, making it very difficult to focus on looting something because his character carries so little weight and so does the ship. A problem that could easily be fixed with mods and future balancing.

I'm too lazy to write more, so I'll summarize the other points; the ship combat isn't a high point of the game, something that improves a lot when you get a better ship, but it still wasn't something to get too excited about.

Its overall score was 8.5 points, a very good game, with incredible graphics and atmosphere, huge cities with lots to explore, captivating missions, interesting characters and enjoyable gameplay.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
From a review that was quickly removed from YouTube because of NDA.
Thanks for posting that. Shitty character models and animations seems to be par for the course with these Bethesda games but the rest sounds promising in possibly addressing some other weaknesses their open world games tend to have.

Alock1

What open world has good AI? Elden Ring? Any others?

Obviously it's harder than a linear game but I still think it should get more focus than it does.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't really see the point of adding loads of planets with no content on them, especially as it's a single player game. I see the benefit in MP games where you could setup a base or go explore a planet with a mate. But to do that on single player? Seems pretty worthless to me.

Feel like I won't like this game. But will remain optimistic for now. I'm only really going to try it for the ship building and I feel like I'm going to end up being disappointed by that. We'll see.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
You shouldn't play bethesda games on normal, I'd say at minimum you start on hard. I'd try "very hard" or whatever it is before the max difficulty.

Siorac

I don't really see the point of adding loads of planets with no content on them, especially as it's a single player game. I see the benefit in MP games where you could setup a base or go explore a planet with a mate. But to do that on single player? Seems pretty worthless to me.
Presumably, they'll serve the same purpose as the endless number of procedurally generated dungeons in Skyrim. Kill stuff, get loot, get crafting material, come away highly unsatisfied and questioning the direction your life is headed.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
What open world has good AI? Elden Ring? Any others?

Obviously it's harder than a linear game but I still think it should get more focus than it does.
RDR2 and I think the Horizon games has pretty good AI. In the case of Horizon the robtos are good not so much humans

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Presumably, they'll serve the same purpose as the endless number of procedurally generated dungeons in Skyrim. Kill stuff, get loot, get crafting material, come away highly unsatisfied and questioning the direction your life is headed.
:lol: sounds like me playing Destiny 2 in the last couple of years

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
reviews....not as positive as I had hoped :nervous:

evil_geko

It is incredibly sad that power of the review scores became so high that it literally decides how good and fun the game is for many people before they even try it themselves. I miss old school gaming times...