Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

evil_geko

Let me be clear here, I don't care much about Starfield and neither was hyped for it, I will play it but will still go through few more runs of Baldur's Gate 3 before touching Starfield on GP probably. What actually triggered me was all this scoring system degeneracy and importance it is given and how twisted it is.

Coxy

Seems like it's par for the course action adventure in much like Skyrim. Which isn't necessarily bad.

Everyone seems to hate the inventory and weight system though. And building is no better than FO4 which is a big shame.

I'm still eager to jump in though!
Likewise - I love Bethesda games so I’m hoping I’ll love this too. I was hoping it would score 90+ though purely because I was hoping it would be a defining game.

BristolRuss

Well, I guess it doesn't 'need it' but Xbox have had a especially crap 1st party year. I know people liked high fi rush, but apart from that it's been rough.
Eh? Plenty of first party releases this year. Age of Empires 2 (console), Age of Empires 4 (console), Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Ghostwire Tokyo, Goldeneye 007, Quake 2 enhanced, Starfield and Forza still to come. Has Sony even released any first party games this year?

Herman Toothrot

You keep posting takes like this.

Why do you care so much what another player base thinks?
I don't give a shit, I've been completely agnostic since Sonic V Mario. I just can't believe what hate two brands inspire. At least religion offers you salvation, I'm not sure what the plus points are to customer loyalty.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Eh? Plenty of first party releases this year. Age of Empires 2 (console), Age of Empires 4 (console), Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Ghostwire Tokyo, Goldeneye 007, Quake 2 enhanced, Starfield and Forza still to come. Has Sony even released any first party games this year?
Redfall :lol:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Likewise - I love Bethesda games so I’m hoping I’ll love this too. I was hoping it would score 90+ though purely because I was hoping it would be a defining game.
It's seems like it is a classic Bethesda game, love that or loathe it.

Personally I'm bored of the cookie-cutter stuff that carried over from Skyrim to FO3/4 to FO76, I was hoping for changes and more depth. However, I can't deny that the setting and scope of the game appeals to me and probably will slant my view of it more positively.

The not being able to fly around space though, that is a huge bummer and will make having 1000 empty planets even more weird if you just fast travel everywhere with loading screens, because the universe won't feel that big no matter how big it actually is.

I don't give a shit, I've been completely agnostic since Sonic V Mario. I just can't believe what hate two brands inspire. At least religion offers you salvation, I'm not sure what the plus points are to customer loyalty.
You should go to the console wars thread then and tell them they are all morons.

Not because of this post though, just because they all are!

Ainu

A predictable shit storm because the game isn't sitting on a 95+ aggregate score. From the reviews it looks like a typical Bethesda game, and if anyone expected anything different, that's on them. It'll be great, with some glaring issues. You know, the usual.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Not had chance to read/watch any yet.

7/10 from IGN means no play for me though.

Sack Phil.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What is this list? :lol:

Anyway, 87/100 is an objectively good game. Just not a masterpiece, and that's ok

Herman Toothrot

It's seems like it is a classic Bethesda game, love that or loathe it.

Personally I'm bored of the cookie-cutter stuff that carried over from Skyrim to FO3/4 to FO76, I was hoping for changes and more depth. However, I can't deny that the setting and scope of the game appeals to me and probably will slant my view of it more positively.

The not being able to fly around space though, that is a huge bummer and will make having 1000 empty planets even more weird if you just fast travel everywhere with loading screens, because the universe won't feel that big no matter how big it actually is.

You should go to the console wars thread then and tell them they are all morons.

Not because of this post though, just because they all are!
I'm not going there!! I just want the Starfield fans to have a nice day. I do find it a bit weird how people were buying Starfield-branded consoles, controllers and such for a game they'd never played, but I hoped it was going to knock it out of the park.

Redlambs

A predictable shit storm because the game isn't sitting on a 95+ aggregate score. From the reviews it looks like a typical Bethesda game, and if anyone expected anything different, that's on them. It'll be great, with some glaring issues. You know, the usual.
Yep, absolutely right. It's Bethesda and it's space Skyrim. No more, no less.

Interestingly, and some are making more out of it than others, but it seems like the PC version is the one with the least issues. Now we all knew it would run better, but seems like there's less bugs overall. This pleases me!

caid

Withholding review code from a bunch of publications looks pretty shady now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oooof, it seems you can't fly around space between planets. That's a huge yikes when so much has been made about the ships you can build.

Also the inventory system sounds exactly as shite as Skyrim's when it launched (and still is vanilla).

Thank feck for PC and mods!
You can't? That's what I was looking forward to :(

Redlambs

I do find it a bit weird how people were buying Starfield-branded consoles, controllers and such for a game they'd never played, but I hoped it was going to knock it out of the park.
Agreed.

I'm still excited to play it, I never expected it to be what we all hoped it would be though. The second they were making excuses for the 30fps restrictions on the Xbox and hyping up those features they claim are the reason, it was never going to actually be what Alock Howard told us to expect. But then it's never been any different on that front, Cyberpunk and Bioshock:Infinite before that taught us not to lose our minds.

Though one thing I do find amusing, is a couple of reviews I've read so far have said along the lines of "the combat, whilst functional, is better than Cyberpunk" :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
So basically you just enter a solar system and remain dormont until you choose a planet? Nearly sure in the reveals there was some space flying/battles.

Irwin99

Not got an Xbox or a gaming PC but 87/88 is a very good score but i can see why people might be a little skeptical maybe because of the immense hype and an expectation that this is a 'generational' game. I enjoyed FF XVI which got the same score but that game had some serious flaws and would be nowhere near my favourite games.

Redlambs

Me too. You can't land on planets too. It's all fast travel and pre-canned.

In fact, it seems every gameplay element is a collection of things done better in other games. Expected maybe, but disappointing that there's no showpiece element to make up for the downsides :(

So basically you just enter a solar system and remain dormont until you choose a planet? Nearly sure in the reveals there was some space flying/battles.
I haven't read an explanation that deep, but you basically pick a planet to fast travel to and get a loading screen. I think you must be able to fly around that planet though and find things in orbit to do. Taking off/landing is all pre-canned too which is disappointing, although not a massive deal as much.

Redlambs

Not got an Xbox or a gaming PC but 87/88 is a very good score but i can see why people might be a little skeptical maybe because of the immense hype and an expectation that this is a 'generational' game. I enjoyed FF XVI which got the same score but that game had some serious flaws and would be nowhere near my favourite games.
I think you are right, the hype around this and what we all want to be the most amazing game ever was always going to make anything less than 9s and 10s all round a bit deflating.

Reading the reviews is even worse though, because as usual there are those giving 10s whilst blatantly breezing over the bad stuff.

Basically, same old same old. I'm still eager to play it, and that's all that matters to me.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
How does it not have maps though?

Ainu

I'm not going there!! I just want the Starfield fans to have a nice day. I do find it a bit weird how people were buying Starfield-branded consoles, controllers and such for a game they'd never played, but I hoped it was going to knock it out of the park.
That's always a bit weird, but I have to admit those Starfield themed controllers look fantastic.

Yep, absolutely right. It's Bethesda and it's space Skyrim. No more, no less.

Interestingly, and some are making more out of it than others, but it seems like the PC version is the one with the least issues. Now we all knew it would run better, but seems like there's less bugs overall. This pleases me!
Considering the state of PC releases in the last 12 months, that's indeed welcome news. Bethesda games are always better on PC, but it's still reassuring to hear. I'm excited to see what the modding community will come up with.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Missing a tonne of 9/10s, 10/10s, 4 and 5/5s etc from the title :rolleyes:

IGN Brazil gave it a 9.5
IGN Japan a 10.
IGN Spain 10.

Redlambs

The only review I listen to is the one @Redlambs gives.
At least I'm unbiased and fair! If very picky :lol:

But you'll get the truth from me at least. I still think I'll like this one more than dislike it, unless the space combat is terrible in which case there's going to be issues and I might have to trick Alock into going to Hull or Epping forest...

How does it not have maps though?
That is indeed extremely weird.

One of the reviews suggests it's because the universe feels so small thanks to the fast travelling that they wanted to make sure the player at least looked around more...but not since the lack of journal in Morrowind has there been such a backwards odd decision like this.

It'll likely be added by them when they realise it's a dumb as decision, definitely some kind of mod will come out.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My mate at IGN Benelux gave it an 8.5/10. He was quite disappointed though.

Irwin99

Did he say why? As i said in this thread, I gave FF XVI an 8 out of 10 but the more i move away from it the more i feel bit sour towards it for a few reasons.

Simbo

Listened to this on the way home.

Fairly positive on the whole. Not been that hyped for this game myself, but now feel like I'm gunna have to play it.

Also, least buggy game they've ever released this guy reckons.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Did he say why? As i said in this thread, I gave FF XVI an 8 out of 10 but the more i move away from it the more i feel bit sour towards it for a few reasons.
I feel exactly the same about FF16. It's actually a rather bad game in retrospect.

He said it's the general Bethesda bugginess and emptyness that's very prevalent here. Also that the constant fast travel is annoying.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
So it’s decent but not groundbreaking. It’s nice the Xbox folk got something reasonable after just 3 years of their console being out.

I’m just busting your balls folks before anyone tries to get me cancelled

Redlambs

Yeah, they always have to bump up the final score. It's nothing new. There was a guy on here once who posted one of his reviews for an online mag and it was full of disappointment and then at the end it was something like 9/10. It was a good laugh for a while!

I'm reading through a number of reviews and you can literally feel the disappointment at some of the gameplay elements through the screen. All fall back to "but it's so big and set in space!". Which, tbf, is my justification for being hyped before even playing it too :lol:

Also, least buggy game they've ever released this guy reckons.
To be fair, that's not any kind of decent claim :lol:

Though in seriousness, it seems that on the PC at least it's fine for a launch. On Xbox the performance and bugs are off, but not game breaking or anything. I'll be testing both this weekend.

He said it's the general Bethesda bugginess and emptyness that's very prevalent here. Also that the constant fast travel is annoying.
That falls in line with what all the reviews (even the stupid 10/10 ones) are saying. Less about the bugginess, but more about the emptyness (which makes you miss a lot of the best content apparently) and the fast travel system.

Leg-End

I’ve read a few reviews and to be honest it sounds like good fun, albeit with some weird decisions on basic things ie navigation. So it’s not the all mighty generation defining game it perhaps was hyped as but for a Bethesda game on release it sounds very good and will likely get better with some patch polish.

I do find myself Xboxless again once more, this may be the game to pull me back in but I’m definitely going to let the dust settle on it first rather than rush out for it.

To the BG3 thread I run.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Considering Diablo IV got 88 on metacritic i find the reviews from the biggest publications worrisome.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
From a review that was quickly removed from YouTube because of NDA.

On gameplay and animations: simply very enjoyable, everything has weight, the animation of the doors opening is very fluid and he described it as one of the strongest parts of the game.
:lol: Great stuff.

Redlambs

I’ve read a few reviews and to be honest it sounds like good fun, albeit with some weird decisions on basic things ie navigation. So it’s not the all mighty generation defining game it perhaps was hyped as but for a Bethesda game on release it sounds very good and will likely get better with some patch polish.

I do find myself Xboxless again once more, this may be the game to pull me back in but I’m definitely going to let the dust settle on it first rather than rush out for it.

To the BG3 thread I run.
With all the reviews I've read, I don't think I'll like the vanilla console version at all. Same as with Skyrim/Fallout. This is another that is going to thrive with the mods.

But I'll be testing both out, so we shall see.

:lol: Great stuff.
Our very own Alock Howard told you it would be awesome because there's some surprises! Who knew it was the amazing door gameplay...

:lol: