State of the refs in this country

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And then some... from his angle it clearly looks like VVD takes a good whack at the back of Lamela so frankly the bad officiating would have been not to flag.

Honestly, the ref's were excellent yesterday, and the fact that VAR would not have overturned either decisions pretty much confirms that.
Yeah, to call that decision when ref said no penalty and in front of Kop. Linesman did really well.

Also looking at other game highlights, apart from the obvious McTominay one, don't think refs did any major blunders.

NoLogo

There was nothing in the Liverpool/Spurs game as remotely blatant as the Kongolo incident. That has been said by pretty much everyone that it should have been a penalty... where as yesterday a lot of people think the first one should of been (within the laws of the game) and a whole lot more still think the second one was.
It's not only the big decisions though. I felt that especially in our game against Huddersfield nearly every second foul was either wrongly not called or even called the wrong way around. That was somehow a pattern in the Liverpool v Tottenham game as well even though there wasn't a specific side that got the short end of the stick as much as us or more specifically Sanchez vs Huddersfield it makes me question what these refs actually see on the field. It's also not only that they don't call a lot of blatant fouls they are inconsistent as hell and sometimes all of a sudden the smallest touch is enough to call a foul while a couple of minutes before a player gets completely clattered and no foul is called.

red_devil83

yeah but Lovren touched it so he wasn't, I think it's a bonkers law myself, he's interfering with play so should be offside but the laws of the game say's he isn't
But according to that diagram linked earlier he is making a movement to distract the defender and thus is active and offside? Surely, whenever you're offside, you're distracting the defender and therefore active and offside. That would be my interpretation as a ref.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
But according to that diagram linked earlier he is making a movement to distract the defender and thus is active and offside? Surely, whenever you're offside, you're distracting the defender and therefore active and offside. That would be my interpretation as a ref.
yeah but being offside isn't an offence in itself, the thing is

if the ball had deflected of Lovren, Kane would have been offside

but, as Lovren played (questionable :D) the ball, then Kane wasn't offside

clear as mud innit :confused:

Nick7

the only blatantly wrong decision that I saw made was the Kane dive. will be interesting to see if he snags a ban for that.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The second was offside, even if you consider VVD's challenge a penalty.
who was offside, I never saw it, but the thing is, didn't a Liverpool player play the ball so the forward wouldn't have been offside, same as the first pen?

RedMane

Supports
Liverpool
I think football should learn from field hockey as both games are very similar at least the general concept is. Also they have been using videos for many years now. Every team gets one referral per half. Either can use their referral if they think referee has given the wrong decision. If a team was right they keep their referral if not they without one in that half.

Also one you ask for referral you can only question one decision. For example yesterday Kane was offside and then he dived. Let's say Liverpool uses the referral, then they have to mention that they are using their referral because (let's say Kane is offside), so referee will contact video referee who is sitting up stairs and have host video analysis tools at his disposal. Referee will explain his stand on the situation and why the team is challenging the decision. Video referee will only look at the incident which is challenged and nothing else, video referee don't have the power to say whether it was dive or not. This system is better than currently used in football due to following reasons :

1. Because match will only be stopped only if their is foul and their is clear conscience among players that referee had missed it. If they are wrong they used their referral and won't be able to use it next time. Which puts responsibility on them to use it only when they truly need it.

2. Video referee will have more video analysis tools than a small tablet on the side of the ground can provide. Also referee will always have a bias towards the decision he has taken already.

3. Less time will be wasted as referee have to run to find the tablet and then watch the replay of the video on small screen whereas in the system above , all he has to do is contact the video ref through his ear piece and tell him why the players think this decision shouldn't stand.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Chris Foy was on TV a few minutes ago.
Lovren touching the ball in a deliberate attempt to play it kept Kane on.
Standing in an offside position isn't an offence in itself.

James Peril

The offside-rule is controversial to say the least, I bet most people on here believed Kane were offside (regardless) - only to learn a new rule after the game. It's controversial because Lovren only tries to kick the ball in desperation due to Kane standing behind him in a scoring position, I highly doubt Lovren knew about this rule at all + instinct. And being a defender, you never stop playing until the ref blows his whistle. Am I right that if Lovren does not touch the ball (deliberately let it go, even though he can reach it) - it's not offside? Again, stupid rule based on the fact that he can't know Kane is in offside.

These situations rarely happen, but when a player tries to pick out another player and it bounces through to said player 0,1 seconds later, it should be offside. Then again, I guess you can't differentiate between a slight touch like this one and a complete deliberate (and misplaced) pass. Would be pissed if this went against United, but again, a rule is a rule - now we know how it works.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
who was offside, I never saw it, but the thing is, didn't a Liverpool player play the ball so the forward wouldn't have been offside, same as the first pen?
Lamela obviously.

And no, the header is won by a Spurs player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Anybody know why Ndidi's goal vs swansea was disallowed?

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
Both decisions were right to the law. I dont agree with the offside one being not offside, but correct by the law nonetheless. Loved the discussion and Eriksen arguing with Can for the whole passage.
The discussion caught on TV was golden.
They are mighty furious over on Rawk. They want ban on Alli, Kane and Lamela for diving.
(Alli: OK if that was the rule (I don`t think the rule says it is, since the ref spotted it and gave a yellow)
On the other hand: Can clearly lied several times over on the issue of Lovren touching the ball or not. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. A dive is lying IMO. Lying is lying too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Anybody know why Ndidi's goal vs swansea was disallowed?
There was an offside in the build-up, linesman flagged straight away but ref didn't seem to notice it until after the goal. It was the correct call as well.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
More shitty refereeing tonight. Never a penalty in the Chelsea game. VAR is well overdue.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
More shitty refereeing tonight. Never a penalty in the Chelsea game. VAR is well overdue.
Definitely penalty. The behind angle showed it. Much more of a penalty than Kane who left his leg in to get a touch.

Just seen Gallagher on sky sports. Was he such a blind ref as he is a ref commentator? He is truly woeful. I'm expecting every unchallenged slash from a defender that falls to an offside striker to be a goal now. Because, you know, rules innit.

Josep Dowling

Soft penalty but it is a penalty, you can’t dive into a player like that.

However the second booking was poor refereeing. It’s a foul at worse, surely any good referee has a word with him with a final warning.

marktan

Is it true England won't have a single referee at the WC?
Wonder who decides that? Fifa? Despite having some poor referees (Mike Dean), English refs in general do have some pretty solid ones at any given time. Anthony Taylor atm is pretty good, did the FA Cup Final last year. Clattenburg and Howard Webb obviously did the big events previously.

Rossa

I’m saying that it should be offside because imo Lovren only goes for the ball because Kane is behind him and it’s not really Lovren’s responsibility to decide in that split second whether Kane is on or off. However, according to the rules of the game Kane was not involved in the first phase and therefore not off. So the officials made the correct call, I think it’s the rules that need changing

I play CB myself sometimes and it’s impossible now you have to go for everything
It matters little what you think. The fact is that the ref played by the book and made the correct call. If you think the rules need changing, then fine, but the ref is not to blame here at all. Lovren made a pathetic attempt to clear the ball, and that was the mistake made.

Lentwood

It matters little what you think. The fact is that the ref played by the book and made the correct call. If you think the rules need changing, then fine, but the ref is not to blame here at all. Lovren made a pathetic attempt to clear the ball, and that was the mistake made.
That's what I just said - apart from the bit about it mattering little what I think :-(

Roons111

Supports
spurs
Both correct decisions but it still doesn't take away from the fact Moss was overheard by the TV microphones guessing the first one.

Getting it right doesn't make it a good decision if it's based on a guess.

He didn't have it as offside in the first place, the Linesman called him over and couldn't tell him if he was offside or not. Surely the default position there is "not offside" he can only give the foul (offside) if either him or the lino has seen it - which they didn't.

Hitchez

But we don't need VAR. Oh no. It disrupts the flow and destroys the emotion of the game. What bollocks.

worldinmotion66

I'd be interested to see the percentage of correct decisions he had today, got so much wrong for both teams.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think the standard of refs is the worst it's ever been, but the ref today wasn't even that bad. Was just a crap performance from us. Can't blame the refs today.

Acole9

Outstanding
Although they won Newcastle have every right to be seething with Pawson's decision making, United fans on the other don't. Nobody to blame except for the players not performing.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Although they won Newcastle have every right to be seething with Pawson's decision making, United fans on the other don't. Nobody to blame except for the players not performing.
Yeah I can see why Newcastle fans would be unhappy with his performance, but I don't remember him making any poor calls against United today. Though United have had it tough refereeing wise this season.

PoTMS

Thank the Lord. From an England perspective, it's actually a shame as their incompetence can't shine through and negatively affect other teams.

Good its what they deserve, hopefully the FA take a good look at themselves as well, they seem to think they're above criticism.

AlwaysRed66

At least we wont be blamed for any shocking decisions then, which I expect will be many. Particularly, with the great VAR leading the way.

Last edited: