Stevan Jovetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's a case of other teams catching up quickly rather than the Italian league going massively backwards? It seems like they've been coasting about by the sounds of it.
Its one way to see it. Italian clubs were traditionally built around their owner. The owner would buy the club, employ his men and pay the bills. Success usually reflected the person's ability to manage. For example when the rich Turinese family Agnelli wanted to launch Fiat they went on buying Turin's second club of the time and made it successful. Juventus success, became Agnelli's success and people bought Fiat because it was the Italian car owned by the same people who brought a relatively smallish club among Europe greats. Same trick was utilized few decades after by Berlusconi with AC Milan. He bought AC Milan, he made it successful and everyone associated Berlusconi to hardwork and success. Such model served Silvio well both in business and at political level. I mean who would you prefer as prime minister? The grumpy old beurocrat who had never worked anywhere else apart from within a political party or this ambitious and rich self made man who seem able to turn everything he touches into gold?

Under such condition, its evident that many owners couldn't care less in investing in infrastructure. Why would Berlusconi invest in a new stadium when he could buy Van Basten which in turn could guarantee him 2-3 league titles and therefore boost his and his companies image?

Things started getting messy when

1- the EPL clubs started tapping the TV rights. It meant that players had more options were to go

2- Clubs from smallish leagues (South American, French, German and Dutch etc) where starting to become wiser. Which meant the Italian league lost its cheap and quality source of talent (in 1995 Inter bought 3-5 SA players including Roberto Carlos and Javier Zanetti for a pittance).

3- The Parmalat and Cirio Scandal which dragged Parma and Lazio down shook Italian football to its core, forcing it to become more accountable. High level of Debt weren't tolerated anymore.

4- The calciopoli scandal tarnished the Serie A reputation even further

5- The recession hit the owners businesses which in turn hindered their spending power. These rich people started not affording their luxury toys anymore

The Serie A is the middle of a transition period. Where historical owners are either selling their clubs or at least they are changing their strategies (investing on the infrastructure and the youths). There's not much money in the Serie A these days (poor stadium attendence) which makes it difficult for the truly rich foreign owners to invest in them.

izec

He wasnt the same player after the cruciate ligament injury in 2010. His best performances were at the beginning of his career at Florenz, not in his last year. Then he had a mistery injury at City were he barely touched a ball, seems to be also enjoying life a bit too much outside the pitch. He was on a very good way, but since that injury he never really had that class and consistency he showed before.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Its one way to see it. Italian clubs were traditionally built around their owner. The owner would buy the club, employ his men and pay the bills. Success usually reflected the person's ability to manage. For example when the rich Turinese family Agnelli wanted to launch Fiat they went on buying Turin's second club of the time and made it successful. Juventus success, became Agnelli's success and people bought Fiat because it was the Italian car owned by the same people who brought a relatively smallish club among Europe greats. Same trick was utilized few decades after by Berlusconi with AC Milan. He bought AC Milan, he made it successful and everyone associated Berlusconi to hardwork and success. Such model served Silvio well both in business and at political level. I mean who would you prefer as prime minister? The grumpy old beurocrat who had never worked anywhere else apart from within a political party or this ambitious and rich self made man who seem able to turn everything he touches into gold?

Under such condition, its evident that many owners couldn't care less in investing in infrastructure. Why would Berlusconi invest in a new stadium when he could buy Van Basten which in turn could guarantee him 2-3 league titles and therefore boost his and his companies image?

1- the EPL clubs started tapping the TV rights. It meant that players had more options were to go

2- Clubs from smallish leagues (South American, French, German and Dutch etc) where starting to become wiser. Which meant the Italian league lost its cheap and quality source of talent (in 1995 Inter bought 3-5 SA players including Roberto Carlos and Javier Zanetti for a pittance).

3- The Parmalat and Cirio Scandal which dragged Parma and Lazio down shook Italian football to its core, forcing it to become more accountable. High level of Debt weren't tolerated anymore.

5- The recession hit the owners businesses which in turn hindered their spending power. These rich people started not affording their luxury toys anymore

The Serie A is the middle of a transition period. Where historical owners are either selling their clubs or at least they are changing their strategies (investing on the infrastructure and the youths). There's not much money in the Serie A these days (poor stadium attendence) which makes it difficult for the truly rich foreign owners to invest in them.
Good read. How long do you think it will take for them to get back up to speed? It doesn't seem like they are anywhere near at the moment.

devilish

Good read. How long do you think it will take for them to get back up to speed? It doesn't seem like they are anywhere near at the moment.
Some teams are already at the right direction. Juventus have their own stadium, they are generating their own money and have a solid youth academy. There again, Juventus were already well positioned to such change, having been the least shiny object to their owner's attention (the Agnelli-Elkanns happen to own Ferrari as well) long before the Serie A went bust. There's also an emergence of the so called smaller clubs whose working model (ie buying relatively unknown talent, develop them and sell them to bigger clubs) seem working better then that of the big boys. Why doesn't the big clubs (Inter, Milan etc) don't copy them? Well its hard for these clubs supporters who had been used to get the top players to revert to simply buying unknown talent and develop them. Such thing hasn't been their club main policy for many years which is a kind of a problem since their club rely on the fans membership fee (and a substantial number of fans wont pay that membership fee if they don't see some big names in the club). Hence why the Milanese clubs had often opted for washed up players (Torres, Vidic, Essien, Alex, Lopez etc) then go for the younger but unknown talent.

I consider today's Serie A at par with the EPL back in the early 90s. You've got one team whose clearly richer and dominant over the rest (Juventus) but who would struggle to compete financially with clubs from other leagues. If Spurs had to compete with Juventus on a purely financial level I fancy the former being able to beat the latter quite comfortably. Which reminds me a lot of what happened to us with Gabriel Batistuta only for him to pull the plug because we weren't able to pay him the same salary he had at Fiorentina. The only trouble is.....there's nothing suggesting that there will be a drastic cash influx flow in their coffers which would put them at par to the EPL and La Liga

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.

Some teams are already at the right direction. Juventus have their own stadium, they are generating their own money and have a solid youth academy. There again, Juventus were already well positioned to such change, having been the least shiny object to their owner's attention (the Agnelli-Elkanns happen to own Ferrari as well) long before the Serie A went bust. There's also an emergence of the so called smaller clubs whose working model (ie buying relatively unknown talent, develop them and sell them to bigger clubs) seem working better then that of the big boys. Why doesn't the big clubs (Inter, Milan etc) don't copy them? Well its hard for these clubs supporters who had been used to get the top players to revert to simply buying unknown talent and develop them. Such thing hasn't been their club main policy for many years which is a kind of a problem since their club rely on the fans membership fee (and a substantial number of fans wont pay that membership fee if they don't see some big names in the club). Hence why the Milanese clubs had often opted for washed up players (Torres, Vidic, Essien, Alex, Lopez etc) then go for the younger but unknown talent.

I consider today's Serie A at par with the EPL back in the early 90s. You've got one team whose clearly richer and dominant over the rest (Juventus) but who would struggle to compete financially with clubs from other leagues. If Spurs had to compete with Juventus on a purely financial level I fancy the former being able to beat the latter quite comfortably. Which reminds me a lot of what happened to us with Gabriel Batistuta only for him to pull the plug because we weren't able to pay him the same salary he had at Fiorentina. The only trouble is.....there's nothing suggesting that there will be a drastic cash influx flow in their coffers which would put them at par to the EPL and La Liga
So you think the Milan clubs will continue to buy these washed up players then? It's clearly not working...

And whilst we're in this thread, Jovetic again failed to make an impact.

devilish

So you think the Milan clubs will continue to buy these washed up players then? It's clearly not working...

And whilst we're in this thread, Jovetic again failed to make an impact.
Their fans are addicted to big names and that's the only way their clubs can provide them the names. I believe that we'll see a gradual reduction to this strategy. AC Milan Winter sales focused mostly on Italian players such as Bocchetti, Cerci and Destro. I don't know about Inter though. Mancini may end up using his EPL contacts to get 1-2 decent players. He already got Santon + may try and convince Toure to join them next season.

In my opinion they should go for youth talent (foreign and local) and only get the big names when its worth or they are absolutely needed. That's what Juventus had done with Pogba and look set to do the same with Januzaj (cheeky bid next summer seem imminent). There again, these clubs are renowned to lack patience. The likes of Viera, Henry, Davids (at AC Milan) and co know that very well. I wont be surprised if Kovacic will end up in that list too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

From what I see, Sassuolo's scouting department seems to be doing a great job and they've been doing a good job at producing youths. Serie A's Swansea.

devilish

From what I see, Sassuolo's scouting department seems to be doing a great job and they've been doing a good job at producing youths. Serie A's Swansea.
You know nothing Snow

You actually do but I always wanted to say that

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Champions League axe has killed me, says Jovetic

Stevan Jovetic has hit out at Manuel Pellegrini for axing him from Manchester City's Champions League squad, hinting he may now seek a move away from the club in the summer.

City can only register 21 senior players in their European squad after breaching UEFA Financial Fair Play regulations, and Jovetic, 25, was replaced by £28 million signing Wilfried Bony for the knockout stages.

Jovetic, who has endured 18 injury-hit months at City since signing from Fiorentina for £22 million, told the Sunday Mirror: "The manager has killed me with this decision. I deserve to play in the Champions League. I know that.

"I feel I deserve my place and people have told me the same. People have told me I am a great player, but it is clear the manager doesn't think the same way.

"I am very disappointed, even now. I don't it was a good decision - or the right decision. I know that I deserve to be on the list. I told the manager this, but he didn't want to listen to me. I came here to play in the Champions League."

Jovetic has been linked with a move back to Italy and refused to suggest he is willing to stay and fight for his place at City.

"I have not made any decision about my future," he added. "I will wait until the summer, then we will see. But the manager has put other players ahead of me, so maybe this is a message about what he wants to do."

Gopher Brown

Stevan Jovetic has hit out at Manuel Pellegrini for axing him from Manchester City's Champions League squad, hinting he may now seek a move away from the club in the summer.

City can only register 21 senior players in their European squad after breaching UEFA Financial Fair Play regulations, and Jovetic, 25, was replaced by £28 million signing Wilfried Bony for the knockout stages.

Jovetic, who has endured 18 injury-hit months at City since signing from Fiorentina for £22 million, told the Sunday Mirror: "The manager has killed me with this decision. I deserve to play in the Champions League. I know that.

"I feel I deserve my place and people have told me the same. People have told me I am a great player, but it is clear the manager doesn't think the same way.

"I am very disappointed, even now. I don't it was a good decision - or the right decision. I know that I deserve to be on the list. I told the manager this, but he didn't want to listen to me. I came here to play in the Champions League."

Jovetic has been linked with a move back to Italy and refused to suggest he is willing to stay and fight for his place at City.

"I have not made any decision about my future," he added. "I will wait until the summer, then we will see. But the manager has put other players ahead of me, so maybe this is a message about what he wants to do."
Talk about melodramatic.

Also, him saying he 'deserves' CL football is as much nonsense as Moyesy saying he had proven himself as a CL-level manager and deserves a CL team.

Bwuk

I remember all the hype about him before City signed him. He's done nothing.

coolredwine

lameredboots

We want handbags.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Looks pretty good when he plays, which is hardly ever, because he's always crocked. It really had to be him who was dropped from City's reduced squad. It's a rubbish punishment though.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Who the feck told him he's a great player?
He's not done particularly well for City but he is a hugely talented player. He's already been heavily linked with Juventus and Atletico in the summer and he is the star player in his national side. Of course he'll have plenty of people telling him he is a great player. I have no doubt he is, but unfortunately he won't get the chance to be one for City.

Zoo

He's talented but I find him quite brainless when watching him for City.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's talented but I find him quite brainless when watching him for City.
Yeah, I know what you mean. He's perfectly fine when he has the ball at his feet but he does not seem to occupy a consistent position. Basically, he likes to play behind the main striker but at City he's never going to realistically get a chance to play there regularly (Silva's role). And as a striker he doesn't offer what Aguero or Dzeko, and now Bony, do, while as a wide-left player Nasri is better, as is Milner. He's been unfortunate with injuries at City, but it seems his limited versatility has hindered his progress and will continue to do so when playing for a squad with the quality of City.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The Italian owners looked at their club's more like trophies rather than a business and Calciopoli sped up the decline in the league rapidly.

We're it not for Calciopoli Serie A would probably be in a better position and would have had more time to see the problems coming and not making the decline as bad as it got imo.

Italian clubs have copped on now but it's to little to late for them and the league spiralled out of control.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I hope he goes to Germany or Spain and stays fit and in form for a long period so people can be reminded of what quality he actually has.

Why on earth he went to City I'll never, ever know.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

RooneyLegend

Going to Juve or Atl madrid would be the perfect move for him. Both clubs prefer to play with 2 forwards and both have very good teams atm.

Varun

Staff
He's not done particularly well for City but he is a hugely talented player. He's already been heavily linked with Juventus and Atletico in the summer and he is the star player in his national side. Of course he'll have plenty of people telling him he is a great player. I have no doubt he is, but unfortunately he won't get the chance to be one for City.
I'm not doubting his talent, he always has been. But the term "great" doesnt really sit well with Jovetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.