Stevan Jovetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
All decent players, nothing more.
Balotelli, Tevez...are better

The two that left were head cases. Having more talent doesn't necessarily mean you are a better player.

I don't know much about Negredo but the other three will provide City more depth and stability. IMO, they have made some good moves in this years transfer market and have improved from last season. They should provide better challenge to us in the coming season then they did last season.

Shark

@NotShark
City have improved their squad with some talented players and if the likes of Aguero, Toure and Silva perform to their abilities next season, they will be a major problem.

Now lets see what we do in the market.

Oggmonster

The two that left were head cases. Having more talent doesn't necessarily mean you are a better player.

I don't know much about Negredo but the other three will provide City more depth and stability. IMO, they have made some good moves in this years transfer market and have improved from last season. They should provide better challenge to us in the coming season then they did last season.

Balotelli I can see the point but Tevez was class for City, regardless of him being a bellend he probably was their best player most the time he played (maybe with the exception of Toure. His off field problems never really affected him on the pitch like it did with Balotelli. I'd imagine if you really gave most realistic City fans a choice of Tevez, a proven premier league striker, or Jovetic or Negredo they'd take Tevez as it's a much safer bet and he really did improve as a player at City.

What I do find interesting about City is that they don't really go for the very top players and whenever they do they seem to lose out. Cavani was heavily linked with them, they bid for Van Persie and Kaka and lost out on all 3 of them. That's not to say they don't have a good team and they've definitely improved it but it seems the top drawer still don't have the desire to play for them.

vuc

First Team Serb
This is the one signing which I'm worried about, he's a very good player and could be their standout player next season. Very Rooney-esque player (Rooney on a good day). The other signings are not anything to write home about and I reckon they've overpaid for a fair few.
This.

There was a good article on him recently by Jonathan Wilson and he said tat he expects him to be a success. Determined player with the drive and skill to succeed.

My personal view is that he always had another level to get to as a player, and he will do that at City. He's a really good player already, but playing with better players will really let him hit that next level.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He'll be their best signing of the summer I reckon. Always reminded me a bit of Rooney

Shinjisan

Balotelli I can see the point but Tevez was class for City, regardless of him being a bellend he probably was their best player most the time he played (maybe with the exception of Toure. His off field problems never really affected him on the pitch like it did with Balotelli. I'd imagine if you really gave most realistic City fans a choice of Tevez, a proven premier league striker, or Jovetic or Negredo they'd take Tevez as it's a much safer bet and he really did improve as a player at City.

What I do find interesting about City is that they don't really go for the very top players and whenever they do they seem to lose out. Cavani was heavily linked with them, they bid for Van Persie and Kaka and lost out on all 3 of them. That's not to say they don't have a good team and they've definitely improved it but it seems the top drawer still don't have the desire to play for them.

His performances last season were nothing to write home about. He is an exceptional talent, whose head was never in the right place. I thought he was poor last season. City did well to get rid of wages and get a transfer fee out of his sale.

I don't think City's management is as crazy as the one at PSG. Over the past two seasons, they have looked to control the spending and not go completely overboard.

Oggmonster

His performances last season were nothing to write home about. He is an exceptional talent, whose head was never in the right place. I thought he was poor last season. City did well to get rid of wages and get a transfer fee out of his sale.

I don't think City's management is as crazy as the one at PSG. Over the past two seasons, they have looked to control the spending and not go completely overboard.

In fairness a lot of people under performed at City last season, Silva was pretty useless, Toure looked knackered by January, Aguero never seemed to recover from his injury at the start of the season and even the likes of Hart and Kompany dropped the ball a bit. Tevez struggled but I'd say he was one of the only players who tried every week to make something happen. He has always been a frustrating player because off form he is a bit of a headless chicken but at City, last season even when he wasn't at his best, he did seem the 1 player who would always at least look to make things happen.

I think City have some kind of structure in place but again I don't know if it's forced upon them by the fact they just can't attract top names. I'd say they are overpaying for all these players at the moment really. I think the business side away from transfers is good but they will always overpay because everyone knows they have the funds.

Shinjisan

In fairness a lot of people under performed at City last season, Silva was pretty useless, Toure looked knackered by January, Aguero never seemed to recover from his injury at the start of the season and even the likes of Hart and Kompany dropped the ball a bit. Tevez struggled but I'd say he was one of the only players who tried every week to make something happen. He has always been a frustrating player because off form he is a bit of a headless chicken but at City, last season even when he wasn't at his best, he did seem the 1 player who would always at least look to make things happen.

I think City have some kind of structure in place but again I don't know if it's forced upon them by the fact they just can't attract top names. I'd say they are overpaying for all these players at the moment really. I think the business side away from transfers is good but they will always overpay because everyone knows they have the funds.
You are right. A few did under perform, and I feel Tevez was part of that club. To me, it never felt like he gave a 100%. He is a, I'll perform when I want to, kind of a player.

These sugar daddy clubs have inflated the market at the top end. Otherwise, no way should Falcao, Cavani or James Rodriguez go at their crazy release clauses. Surely, like everyone, City have been affected by a monster of their own creation.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
All decent players, nothing more.
Balotelli, Tevez...are better

You underestimate Jovetic. Very complete player.

Toure Fernandinho
Navas Jovetic Silva
Aguero
Not a bad lineup but I just feel as if there's not a natural position there for David Silva. Perhaps 4-3-3 with Jovetic out on the left but that kills both his game and Silva's. Interesting to see how Pellegrini picks his preferred lineup.​
I still feel if we make the transfers we're believed to be targeting, we're still in pole position but with Chelsea and City fighting all the way. With our squad as it stands currently I'd put City and Chelsea as joint favourites (if they get Rooney), so this transfer window is important.​

Ekeke

You are right. A few did under perform, and I feel Tevez was part of that club. To me, it never felt like he gave a 100%. He is a, I'll perform when I want to, kind of a player.

These sugar daddy clubs have inflated the market at the top end. Otherwise, no way should Falcao, Cavani or James Rodriguez go at their crazy release clauses. Surely, like everyone, City have been affected by a monster of their own creation.
He wasnt amazing thats for sure but with 8 assists he set up as many goals as Silva and with 6 man of the matches thats the most of any City player. So still one of their top performers

thepolice123

He's like Tevez and Aguero but he will be the superior player than the former...provided that he stays fit of course.

Varun

Staff
You underestimate Jovetic. Very complete player.

Toure Fernandinho
Navas Jovetic Silva
Aguero
Not a bad lineup but I just feel as if there's not a natural position there for David Silva. Perhaps 4-3-3 with Jovetic out on the left but that kills both his game and Silva's. Interesting to see how Pellegrini picks his preferred lineup.

I still feel if we make the transfers we're believed to be targeting, we're still in pole position but with Chelsea and City fighting all the way. With our squad as it stands currently I'd put City and Chelsea as joint favourites (if they get Rooney), so this transfer window is important.

Think it'l be Silva through the middle and Jovetic coming in from the left.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Chelsea still seem overly reliant on Mata for me. You would think, and hope, he doesn't improve on his exceptional one last year. If they buy a quality striker such as Higuain definite title contenders imo. With their current strikers no.

They haven't played a match yet???

JaffyJoe

I see Jovetic playing in the middle, Silva might have to watch himself. City will be able to cope with Silva's inevitable drop in form which happens every season. They are building a very strong and solid side. Some are underrating Dzeko he is a 20 goal a season striker, Negredo will be interesting a couple levels below the best but he has had a few prolific years in Spain. I can see him scoring goals as well, he and Navas will have each other to ease their transition.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Think it'l be Silva through the middle and Jovetic coming in from the left.
I see Jovetic playing in the middle, Silva might have to watch himself. City will be able to cope with Silva's inevitable drop in form which happens every season. They are building a very strong and solid side. Some are underrating Dzeko he is a 20 goal a season striker, Negredo will be interesting a couple levels below the best but he has had a few prolific years in Spain. I can see him scoring goals as well, he and Navas will have each other to ease their transition.

I agree with Jaffy here, think Jovetic will usurp Silva and become the key playmaker. He's alot more direct and less likely to go missing in my opinion.

Varun

Staff
I agree with Jaffy here, think Jovetic will usurp Silva and become the key playmaker. He's alot more direct and less likely to go missing in my opinion.

Silva would have to be on the left then, bad way to use him. I think quality competition is what Silva needs. Seemed complacent last season.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It's interesting the kind of players City have bought. They seem to have quickly ruled themselves out of trying for the top tier, and gone after the better players at second tier clubs with some zeal, and deep pockets - makes sense for them I suppose, though a little surprised at the age profile of Navas and Fernandinho.

The players all look at least decent and they have at least bought in the positions they needed to. Navas and Silva should work well together, and Fernandinho seems to be at least very solid, maybe very good indeed. Not quite so sure about the strikers - Jovetic looks a good player but not one with tons of goals in him. Dzeko, Negredo and Aguero are no mugs I guess.

A little surprised they haven't looked for more squad depth in defence as yet though. They look thin there. There's also a concern over squad togetherness & what will really make them a team.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If City go 4-3-3 next season where do Silva and Nasri fit in? Genuine question as I imagine the front 3 will be Aguero+Jovetic+Another and the middle 3 you'd expect to be central midfielders.
I suspect something like this: Fernaninho/Rodwell/Garcia as the holder, Toure/Milner and Silva/Nasri as the attacking midfielders Aguero/Navas, Dzeko/Negredo, Jovetic up front

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Silva would have to be on the left then, bad way to use him. I think quality competition is what Silva needs. Seemed complacent last season.

He might start on the right and Navas comes on if they're struggling to break down a defence. Either way they've got more options tactically than last year and there's not many ego's being signed which is a plus point to be fair. They're signing very stable personalities.

RedRover

It's interesting the kind of players City have bought. They seem to have quickly ruled themselves out of trying for the top tier, and gone after the better players at second tier clubs with some zeal, and deep pockets - makes sense for them I suppose, though a little surprised at the age profile of Navas and Fernandinho.

The players all look at least decent and they have at least bought in the positions they needed to. Navas and Silva should work well together, and Fernandinho seems to be at least very solid, maybe very good indeed. Not quite so sure about the strikers - Jovetic looks a good player but not one with tons of goals in him. Dzeko, Negredo and Aguero are no mugs I guess.

A little surprised they haven't looked for more squad depth in defence as yet though. They look thin there. There's also a concern over squad togetherness & what will really make them a team.
They've bought quality players to address the problem areas in my opinion. Those two are not young up and coming players and have a fair amount of experience to step straight in and do a job.

Aguerro will wbe the main man for me with Jovetic out wide?

Varun

Staff
He might start on the right and Navas comes on if they're struggling to break down a defence. Either way they've got more options tactically than last year and there's not many ego's being signed which is a plus point to be fair. They're signing very stable personalities.

Yeah, going after the 2nd level of players this season which will reduce the egos at the club. They'l have more options too.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
They've bought quality players to address the problem areas in my opinion. Those two are not young up and coming players and have a fair amount of experience to step straight in and do a job.

Aguerro will wbe the main man for me with Jovetic out wide?
Not sure. I think Jovetic would be best through the middle. Some similarities with Rooney.

Aguero, Kompany, Yaya and Silva are still their classiest players I think.

Would expect their first choice to line up something like this, with Jovetic and Silva possibly switching a bit:

-----------------------Hart------------------
Zabaleta-------Kompany----Nastasic----Clichy
-------------Fernandinho----Toure------------
Navas---------------Jovetic------------Silva
---------------------Aguero-----------------

A team that will play some nice stuff - but maybe could be got at a bit?

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
As long as Jovetic can keep fit, he'll be a cracking player in the Premier League. His only problem when I see him play in Serie A is that he lacks a bit of self confidence.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I really do think that as of right now they've got the best squad in the league.
In terms of overall talent, City had the best team in the league last season and they still couldn't replicate the consistency of the season before that. Buying a bunch of players doesn't mean shit until you can develop a proper system and they play together so you can find a proper starting 11. At the end of the day, Utd are Champions are I would never underestimate the willingness of the Utd players to go all out and retain their title again. The old saying of "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" holds true here. And always remember that it's always an advantage to be playing AS the champions...it's a mental one-up on the opponents.

JaffyJoe

They have made good signings that complement the team. An out and out striker who is mobile like Lewandowski would have been best, but i'll give Negredo the benefit of the doubt. Navas' pace was needed they where too slow last season and struggled to stretch teams and open them up when Silva was off, which was quite often last year. Fernandinho a solid player will provide a solid base which allows Yaya Toure to go forward and do what he does best and then Silva/Jovetic taking the last two spots behind the striker. Milner, Nasri etc. will be the bench players. They have a few different options and formations they can use they will be better this year.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
In terms of overall talent, City had the best team in the league last season and they still couldn't replicate the consistency of the season before that. Buying a bunch of players doesn't mean shit until you can develop a proper system and they play together so you can find a proper starting 11. At the end of the day, Utd are Champions are I would never underestimate the willingness of the Utd players to go all out and retain their title again. The old saying of "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" holds true here. And always remember that it's always an advantage to be playing AS the champions...it's a mental one-up on the opponents.
A top post.

Yes, you have to have talent, but to become a champion you have to have chemistry. You have to have that belief to pull you through after a bad or undeserved loss that sets you on a path of 15-18 straight points.

We're in a new era and we really have no idea what we're going to see under Moyes, so I'm not going to suggest we'll obviously continue what we did under Ferguson. But whatever roster of talent City has just won't be enough to get them to where they want to be. They have to pull it all together. So do we. Jose has done it before in England so he gets the benefit of the doubt, but he faces the same challenges the two of the Big Three (you can forget about Arsenal for this season) face, which is how do you manage all these talented and massively egoistic personalities to get them buy into a system that produces long win streaks and the occasional draw when all goes to shit?

Siorac

And yet the last time the reigning champions successfully defended their title was in 2009. So be careful with sweeping general statements. I'd say that playing as the champions is an advantage if your opponent's squad mainly consists of players with little or no experience of a title fight/title win. Then it's an advantage.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If anything city's champion tag weighted them down last year - I think they preferred being the hunter rather than the hunted.

I don't see us as thinking of ourselves as champions, this year is a fresh start especially with moyes. It's back to square 1.

Bojan11

Strange bump.

He hasn't even played. So don't see the point of being sarcastic, when we can hardly judge him yet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very strange bump. Did you only just find out about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.