Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

el3mel

Wow Benfica actually managed to come from 2 goals down with ten men ? :lol:

poleglass red

He's doing a good job I have to say. He probably had a free hit for a while, but Rangers fans will now be expecting success, certainly in SPL, you seen it last season when results when off kilter at the end, fans calling for him to be let go. Had a bit of honeymoon period but now success will be demanded, he buckled badly last season, let's see how this one goes. If he progresses in Europe, that could be problematic in his quest to win the title.

UpWithRivers

He's doing a good job I have to say. He probably had a free hit for a while, but Rangers fans will now be expecting success, certainly in SPL, you seen it last season when results when off kilter at the end, fans calling for him to be let go. Had a bit of honeymoon period but now success will be demanded, he buckled badly last season, let's see how this one goes. If he progresses in Europe, that could be problematic in his quest to win the title.
What? Rangers havnt won the league for like 15 years or something. How can they demand success. Its like Blackburn sacking the manager if he does win the Prem.

poleglass red

What? Rangers havnt won the league for like 15 years or something. How can they demand success. Its like Blackburn sacking the manager if he does win the Prem.
Gerrard is their 4th manager since they returned to the SPL, so they are obvioulsy demanding success. The SPL was basically a 2 horse race until Rangers got put back in 12/13 season.They have 54 spl's, I think Blackburn have 1, and currently play in c'ship. When Rangers came back obviously their resources weren't comparable with Celtic's due to playing in lower leagues for 4 seasons. They've gradually closed the gap, last season many thought they would win it, but they lost ground at the end. Some fans were calling for Gerrard's head even then for that collapse. Now pressure is even more this season. Rangers have started well, Celtic haven't. Rangers fans have always kept there a big club mentality, and that has always been to win.Clubs like Blackburn don't expect to win titles, whereas Rangers fan do, that's the difference.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If he achieves the SPL title and gets Rangers to the last 32 in the Ropey League then I think he has pretty much done all he can at Rangers. If he achieves that, I see him replacing Klopp at the end of the 2022 season as I only expect Klopp to be at the Dippers until then.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Do you not know how it works with the Old Firm? Celtic are about to win their 12th domestic trophy in a row, yet the majority of their fans want their manager sacked because they haven't been great first couple of months of the season.

In Scotland, first is everything, 2nd is nothing with the Old Firm. Pressure will definitely be on Gerrard & the team to win the league this season. This season looks like it will be their best chance though.

If he achieves the SPL title and gets Rangers to the last 32 in the Ropey League then I think he has pretty much done all he can at Rangers. If he achieves that, I see him replacing Klopp at the end of the 2022 season as I only expect Klopp to be at the Dippers until then.
Is Klopp not 1 of these guys who likes to respect contracts? He has a contract until. 2024, ironically the same length of time Gerrard has a contract at Rangers.

UpWithRivers

Gerrard is their 4th manager since they returned to the SPL, so they are obvioulsy demanding success. The SPL was basically a 2 horse race until Rangers got put back in 12/13 season.They have 54 spl's, I think Blackburn have 1, and currently play in c'ship. When Rangers came back obviously their resources weren't comparable with Celtic's due to playing in lower leagues for 4 seasons. They've gradually closed the gap, last season many thought they would win it, but they lost ground at the end. Some fans were calling for Gerrard's head even then for that collapse. Now pressure is even more this season. Rangers have started well, Celtic haven't. Rangers fans have always kept there a big club mentality, and that has always been to win.Clubs like Blackburn don't expect to win titles, whereas Rangers fan do, that's the difference.
Do you not know how it works with the Old Firm? Celtic are about to win their 12th domestic trophy in a row, yet the majority of their fans want their manager sacked because they haven't been great first couple of months of the season.

In Scotland, first is everything, 2nd is nothing with the Old Firm. Pressure will definitely be on Gerrard & the team to win the league this season. This season looks like it will be their best chance though.
Doesnt deter from the fact that they are delusional. Celtic I get. They are serial winners and cannot have Rangers above them. Rangers though havnt won for 15 years!(I cant be bothered to look it up so might be wrong). They are not outspending Celtic by vast amounts and most would say Celtic have the much better team. Anyone who isnt bat sht crazy would see that 2nd and putting up a fight when they play Celtic is the realistic target. Winning after 15 years is pie in the sky dreamland. Not impossible but up there with Leciester winning the Prem. As much as I hate the scouse muppet Gerrard is doing about as much as is possible and winning it would be above expectations not meeting expectations - well by anyone with a brain.

Web of Bissaka

Rangers fans have that kind of high expectations?
Impressive high standard.

They are doing very well so far this season, definitely clear good progresses year by year so it's actually realistic them expecting to win it this season.

Damn it, don't want to admit it but manager Slippy G is doing a good job with Rangers.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Doesnt deter from the fact that they are delusional. Celtic I get. They are serial winners and cannot have Rangers above them. Rangers though havnt won for 15 years!(I cant be bothered to look it up so might be wrong). They are not outspending Celtic by vast amounts and most would say Celtic have the much better team. Anyone who isnt bat sht crazy would see that 2nd and putting up a fight when they play Celtic is the realistic target. Winning after 15 years is pie in the sky dreamland. Not impossible but up there with Leciester winning the Prem. As much as I hate the scouse muppet Gerrard is doing about as much as is possible and winning it would be above expectations not meeting expectations - well by anyone with a brain.
And none of that matters a single jot in the like of an Old Firm fan. I know mate, I live & breath it up here, there isn't a rivalry like it. Fans demand they win, regardless of anything else going on in background, regardless of budget etc.

They last won the league in 2011, the season before they were liquidated. Celtic have been dominant, but without Rangers because of the gap in resources it basically became a 1 team league. Even a rebuilding Rangers has more resources than the rest of the league outwith Celtic put together, so that brought its own pressures when they made it back to the top flight. So it certainly isn't comparable with Leicester in any way shape or form.

There's no doubt Celtic will kick themselves they've let Rangers back in. With Rangers liquidation, they had basically a free got at the league, & with it the chance of Champions League qualification each year, & the £25M windfall that came with it. Lennon done ok with that regard first time round, but they stuttered in the domestic cups. Deila stuttered in in the league but couldnt qualify for the Champions League.

Rodgers was different, genuine quality & he qualified twice, but then the board reverted back to type & rehire Lennon. Think they've not qualified in 3 years now. That's £75M in potential revenue they've missed out on. Imagine that in Scottish football. Instead they've had to sell a top player most years to break even (Dembele, Tierney, Edouard next summer), & more importantly they've not replaced them with the same quality. As much as Rangers have improved greatly, Celtic not strengthening sufficiently has helped let Rangers back in

poleglass red

Somebody hasn't a clue about Scottish football. Rangers are 1/2 to win the title in the bookies. They are expected to win the title, that's how it works up there. Same with celtic.Leicester are 50/1, they aren't expected to win.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Morelos not even playing too. I know it's only Hamilton but not bad scoring 8 and having him sit it out.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
Rangers died in 2012, this will be this club's first title.

They closed the gap on Celtic, because Celtic thought they could do things on the cheap by replacing Brentan with a former fans favourite, ''Lenny at the Wheel''

MileStolar

So I heard Rangers won the old firm derby and have now gone clear 19 points on top, with the games in hand mind you but none the less it's impressive as they've come from the lower leagues and were at a disadvantage when compared to Celtic's long lasting domination.

So what does it mean for Slippy, is he a great manager in the making, is he going to make Liverpool even better after Klopp? Should we be worried?

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
So I heard Rangers won the old firm derby and have now gone clear 19 points on top, with the games in hand mind you but none the less it's impressive as they've come from the lower leagues and were at a disadvantage when compared to Celtic's long lasting domination.

So what does it mean for Slippy, is he a great manager in the making, is he going to make Liverpool even better after Klopp? Should we be worried?
He's got Rangers playing very similar football to Liverpool. Their full backs play high up the pitch creating things and their midfield drop deep to protect the defence. They constantly switch between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition as Liverpool do and with they have only conceeded 5 goals in 22 games this season.
Gerrard is looking good so far and the results are showing that.
Will he replace Klopp? I don't know but if he carries on this way then right now, I don't see why not. Football evolves though and the football Liverpool play now is different to when Klopp first came in so it'll be interesting to see how Gerrard adapts in the next few years to match the (likely) fight back from Celtic

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Fantastic achievement to overcome Celtic from the advantage they had when he first took the job.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Credit where it’s due, he has done a remarkable job up there so far, particularly in Europe where Rangers are looking comfortable in their Europa League sphere.

It must be noted, however, that Celtic have regressed dramatically under Lennon and a shadow of the team that Rodgers built. If Rodgers had stayed, it would have been a great fight for the title up there this year.

MileStolar

He's got Rangers playing very similar football to Liverpool. Their full backs play high up the pitch creating things and their midfield drop deep to protect the defence. They constantly switch between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition as Liverpool do and with they have only conceeded 5 goals in 22 games this season.
Will he replace Klopp? I don't know but if he carries on this way then right now, I don't see why not. Football evolves though and the football Liverpool play now is different to when Klopp first came in so it'll be interesting to see how Gerrard adapts in the next few years to match the (likely) fight back from Celtic
Tell me as a Scouser, do you guys fancy Stevie as a person or just acknowledge that he's a legend. I always disliked him and I heard he was always quite egoistic and always prioritised his own success rather than team's.

We have Ryan Giggs who was loved by fans but ruined his status a bit with his private life, which shouldn't really be people's concern but such is life. Anyway people don't seem to love Giggs now even though they loved Giggsy the player. Is it similar with Stevie or am I imagining things?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Tell me as a Scouser, do you guys fancy Stevie as a person or just acknowledge that he's a legend. I always disliked him and I heard he was always quite egoistic and always prioritised his own success rather than team's.

We have Ryan Giggs who was loved by fans but ruined his status a bit with his private life, which shouldn't really be people's concern but such is life. Anyway people don't seem to love Giggs now even though they loved Giggsy the player. Is it similar with Stevie or am I imagining things?
Probably imagining it! He’s adored and revered pretty much by all Liverpool fans. If he wanted to serve his own ambitions he could have forced through moves several times in his career, he declined apart from the Chelsea one. In terms of his managerial career I like that he’s said the right things in terms of the Liverpool job and I just hope we’re not tempted to give him it. He’s doing extremely well with rangers but if he wins this year id like to see how he does next year. Would also much prefer he also manages another club preferably a team challenging for Europe in the top leagues and see how he gets on. That might be unlikely because of the language barrier though.

DeGea

As a United fan, I think he has done extremely well out of all the former players who have gone into management. Considering how dominant Celtic were, he has built a steely Rangers team, and his next challenge will be to absolutely dominate SPL for a few years and do well in Europe. Dare I say, he has impressed me on the managerial front, I did not expect out of him, Lampard, Neville, and Giggs etc that he has probably done the best if Rangers were to win this year. Rangers were in a mess when he took over and now they look a completely different team - that takes serious management skills. Of course if we win the league this year Ole will surpass his achievements amongst the newer managers to have come through.

After Rangers, he will have to test his abilities in the Premier League for sure to be considered seriously for any of the big jobs. He would be good for a team like Villa, Leicester, Wolves etc to start off with and see how he goes. Not sure about going abroad, that is a completely different challenge.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
What has impressed me most about Gerrard at Rangers is his ability to go away in Europe and get results without parking the bus. I remember Old Firms teams of the past sitting deep and countering but Gerrard seems ambitious enough to know his system and he has got some massive results. Away to Benfica, Porto, Braga, Standard Liege and Feyenoord packing up points. These are places notoriously difficult for our bigger teams. I also read that he has managed Rangers 41 times in Europe, losing 5. That is an incredible record for any team let alone one from a smaller league.

I’m afraid he will become a fantastic manager at Liverpool.

Reactions: Cheimoon

90 + 5min

Done very well with making Rangers look tough team once again. Could see him try his luck in Premier League soon. But it wouldn't be as easy as in Scotland. Afterall, no disrespect to other clubs, but it is (was) 1-team league.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye, tactically the teams are very similar and we probably have the only pair of full-backs who are out-assisting and out-scoring your own.

Irrespective of Celtic's collapse, this is his European record with Rangers which is seriously impressive IMO:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We all love Stevie as a player legend and as a person. A player of his stature would have had some ego in his younger days but probably all gone by now. Some things you can fix, some you can't like with Giggs.

Castia

Fair play to him, Celtic we’re so far ahead when he took over he’s done an incredible job.

Neil Lennon though..fancy being the manager who let Rangers retake the title, he may as well just retire after this season.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

He's obviously a legend but he's also thought of highly outside of football.
I get that some people don't like him, especially Utd fans but he always put the club before himself. He could have left as so many did in the years after 2009 when we stopped competing for anything but he stuck with the club and fought hard on the pitch every time.
I'm made up that he's doing so well as Rangers manager. He's not afraid to play attacking football and that's paying dividends for them so far this season

TheReligion

Abusive
Aye, tactically the teams are very similar and we probably have the only pair of full-backs who are out-assisting and out-scoring your own.

Irrespective of Celtic's collapse, this is his European record with Rangers which is seriously impressive IMO:

Is it THAT impressive when you consider the majority of those stats will be impacted by the minnows encountered during qualifications?

I think he's doing a great job by the way, don't get me wrong. Just reluctant to heap too much praise based on the above figures given the volume of qualifiers Scottish teams ultimately play.

Oldyella

Is it THAT impressive when you consider the majority of those stats will be impacted by the minnows encountered during qualifications?

I think he's doing a great job by the way, don't get me wrong. Just reluctant to heap too much praise based on the above figures given the volume of qualifiers Scottish teams ultimately play.
Still a good record imo. They play so many qualifiers yes, but they arent a European giant themselves.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
As soon as Gerrard join Rangers the writing was on the wall for Rogers at Celtic. Rogers knew that if there was any one player who would cost him a league title it was captain fantastic...

We all love Stevie as a player legend and as a person. A player of his stature would have had some ego in his younger days but probably all gone by now. Some things you can fix, some you can't like with Giggs.
What was the point in the dig at Giggs?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
The Gerard slip is one of my favourite moments in football. The resulting gif with the dog lead is my all time favourite. That being said, there is something admirable about what he has done for my home team RANGERS. He didn't just walk into a top job like Lampard or Arteta. He is earning his stripes all be it in a 2 team league. Congrats to him. I like the squad he has assembled. I quite like Lampard and hope he has moderate 3rd/4th place success with Chelsea. I find Arteta smug and, although he was a Rangers player, I would like to see him fail.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The Gerard slip is one of my favourite moments in football. The resulting gif with the dog lead is my all time favourite. That being said, there is something admirable about what he has done for my home team RANGERS. He didn't just walk into a top job like Lampard or Arteta. He is earning his stripes all be it in a 2 team league. Congrats to him. I like the squad he has assembled. I quite like Lampard and hope he has moderate 3rd/4th place success with Chelsea. I find Arteta smug and, although he was a Rangers player, I would like to see him fail.
What about Ole?

Classical Mechanic

He's got a lot of good results against sides that you would've expected to beat Rangers.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
What about Ole?
I want him to succeed because I love an underdog. I used to hate watching him in pressers because he seemed so non but I am happy with his improved self-confidence. I am all fingers and toes crossed that Ole dispatches Klopp and Guardiola into a swamp of failure.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

True. But given we went out to Progres of Luxembourg the year before he came, to then get the better of Porto, Benfica, Braga, Galatasaray, Feyenoord, Willem II, Standard Liege, Villarreal, Lech Poznan, Young Boys, etc basically without a blip is real 'progress'.