Stop-gap till end of season or Mourinho now?

Stop gap or Mourinho

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Well?

If Van Gaal goes that is, which seems likely.

If we go for stop gap, there is huge risk of missing out on top 4 and in summer if Pep chooses City and Mourinho goes to PSG or Real Madrid or somewhere else, we risk not having a big name manager available while missing out on CL next year. Basically, that risk is worth only if Pep commits to us.

If we get Mourinho right away, we at least have a proven winner as manager and though it might stifle youngster development and he will create controversies sometimes, he will keep United among top clubs.

Basically, if Pep is not committing to us for sure AND that too in next summer (no sabbatical), then it is huge risk going for stop gap now.

Cina

How do we know we couldn't get Mourinho until the end of the season with an option to extend unless we try?

He has a point to prove. Bet he'd love to come here and win the league short term.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mourinho as a short fix until the summer to win the league. Pep in the summer.

hobbers

Depends entirely on Guardiola and Ancelotti situations.l

If they're both gone, Mourinho in now is the only choice.

LARulz

Stop gap only if Guardiola is definitely coming, otherwise no point at all.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
bring in mourinho now for sure, we can't really afford to miss out on the champions league this season and we WILL if Lvg remains here.

Get him in, give him some cash for January to make some additions then I'm sure we will make top 4. Stock with LVG and it'll put us back for 2 seasons.

The Man Himself

How do we know we couldn't get Mourinho until the end of the season with an option to extend unless we try?

He has a point to prove. Bet he'd love to come here and win the league short term.
Mourinho as a short fix until the summer to win the league. Pep in the summer.
That's an option in theory but I think his ego is too big to accept that. He won't accept the 'interim' label like Benitez did. Plus if he does well on being appointed (top 4 and maybe good cup runs), sacking him in summer will be controversial.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
bring in mourinho now for sure, we can't really afford to miss out on the champions league this season and we WILL if Lvg remains here.

Get him in, give him some cash for January to make some additions then I'm sure we will make top 4.
It would have to be now so he could make a couple of buys in the winter window for a proper league challenge. Hopefully the Ed and Co see this and don't feck about too long.

Ixion

If Pep and Ancelloti are definitely going elsewhere then I wouldn't be against Mourinho. I don't see him as a long term solution but he'd be better than Giggs.

Cina

Depends on what the Pep situation is.
I'm not even sure it does. Even if we could get Pep, what the hell are we going to do for the rest of the season? It'd be a complete write off.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If Pep and Ancelloti are definitely going elsewhere then I wouldn't be against Mourinho. I don't see him as a long term solution but he'd be better than Giggs.
He doesn't do long term

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Guardiola says he's coming then I will accept a stop gap. If no, then Mou now.

mattsville

Get Jose now, no question about it, Guardiola has been fed with a silver spoon as a manager, with a mega team at barca and bayern, jose is proven in the prem and defo has the personality to manage us, he was always the natural successor to SAF IMO, just get it done, this is the biggest sporting brand on the planet and we are becoming irrelevant by the week.

The Man Himself

It would have to be now so he could make a couple of buys in the winter window for a proper league challenge. Hopefully the Ed and Co see this and don't feck about too long.
Possible to put a poll for this?

izec

The club knows best who is and isnt available. Like some said, if Pep and Ancelotti arent gettable, Mou should be hired as soon as possible. Otherwise go for a stop gap manager and get one of Pep (ideally) or Carlo in. But i have a feeling we will give it to Giggsy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not even sure it does. Even if we could get Pep, what the hell are we going to do for the rest of the season? It'd be a complete write off.
Well if we can get Pep in the summer I'd go with a stop gap, if we can't I'd get Mourinho in. If that's an option.

Mourinho isn't going to come on an interim basis, so bringing him in means no chance of getting Pep.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if we can't get pep then jose tomorrow.

Devil may care

See if Fergie will take over until the end of the season and then do everything to get Pep, if not then try for Blanc or Simeone in the summer.

Cina

Well if we can get Pep in the summer I'd go with a stop gap, if we can't I'd get Mourinho in. If that's an option.

Mourinho isn't going to come on an interim basis, so bringing him in means no chance of getting Pep.
I can't really think of a stop gap who would come in and get these players confident again though. Certainly enough to get top four.

A stop gap and then Pep would be great but if we can't get a stop gap who would get us into the CL next season we could be fecked.

bri2013

Give Mourinho the job now, with a clause in his contract that allows us to get rid of him in the summer if targets are not met. If he wants the Utd gig so badly, he should jump at the chance to prove himself capable after what happened at Chelsea.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Depends on Pep. We are not heavily dependent on sponsors for revenue, Maureen has a track record of offending people so f*ck knows who he might upset. One thing is clear, LVG must go now.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
We surely must have an idea if pep wants to manage us or not. If its true pep does want to manage us then we appoint giggs til the end of the season.

MarkC

No point sacking LVG if our only option would be Giggs. The scenario could happen if we are aiming for Guardiola or Ancelotti at the end of the season but then what happens if come the end of the season Giggs is showing potential? Could end up keeping him on missing out on the 3 big managers possibly available and then what happens if his first full season turns into a disaster?

If we are sacking LVG it's got to be for Mourinho imo. If we think we are getting Guardiola or want Ancelotti best keeping LVG on as I believe he would get us CL football which would be important for a new manager. Giggs might get this or could be a disaster and I don't think we are in a position just now after the last two appointments to risk another disaster.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can't really think of a stop gap who would come in and get these players confident again though. Certainly enough to get top four.

A stop gap and then Pep would be great but if we can't get a stop gap who would get us into the CL next season we could be fecked.
You're just making me even more depressed now.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I'd fancy Mourinho to win it from here on, honestly. It's the most Mourinho scenario imaginable.

Moriarty

if we can't get pep then jose tomorrow.
The received wisdom is that Pep is going to City. Roman might try and derail that but I think the odds are long on him coming here. We'd be silly not to hire Jose come the summer. For me though, Van Gaal is here until season's end.