Stop-gap till end of season or Mourinho now?

Stop gap or Mourinho

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

m1tch

Unless the unexpected happens (and Pep indicates he'll choose us over city) then we might as well have Mourinho now he's available to come straight in.
We can't have LVG in over Christmas, and whilst I'd be happy with a stop gap until the summer, I'm not sure what the point of that would be if there's no-one suitable likely to be available then.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Wait for peps announcement... Eg sabbatical for a year (he said he would announce next week I think)
Then re-assess the situation.
If Pep does not look like a viable option though then I'd say go for Jose or anchelotti whilst they are available.

Dominos

Depends who the potential stop gaps are... If we could sign Ancelotti now either til the summer or long term I'd go for it, but unfortunately it looks like he's off to Bayern.

For the first time ever I don't really want Mourinho here - he's in the middle of a mental breakdown, at his last 2 clubs he's created an even more negative dressing room than we already have and makes a circus of the club in the media. Having said that we need a change to turn our season around and it might be the best option.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Mourinho now, definitely. One thing that needs to be considered is that if you keep waiting for Pep and Ancelotti (who are joining City and Bayern according to ZDF which is generally quite reliable), José might get pissed off because that'll be a signal of him being our 3rd choice. Singling him out and making a move (if a managerial chance is forthcoming that is) will be a huge vote of confidence, and confidence is something Mourinho thrives on. Plus, what stop gaps could we realistically get? And if we do appoint a stop gap like Ryan (who has bare minimum experience), where does that leave our chances for the Top 4? Because honestly, it isn't the certainty it was looking just a month ago. If our form over the last 10-15 games is any indicator, then qualifying for the Champions League will be a tall order in itself. Signing Mourinho will atleast soothe the nerves somewhat, and maybe we can make a real push in the second half of the season with a couple of January additions to bolster the squad.

Devil may care

Mourinho now, definitely. One thing that needs to be considered is that if you keep waiting for Pep and Ancelotti (who are joining City and Bayern according to ZDF which is generally quite reliable), José might get pissed off because that'll be a signal of him being our 3rd choice. Singling him out and making a move (if a managerial chance is forthcoming that is) will be a huge vote of confidence, and confidence is something Mourinho thrives on. Plus, what stop gaps could we realistically get? And if we do appoint a stop gap like Ryan (who has bare minimum experience), where does that leave our chances for the Top 4? Because honestly, it isn't the certainty it was looking just a month ago. If our form over the last 10-15 games is any indicator, then qualifying for the Champions League will be a tall order in itself. Signing Mourinho will atleast soothe the nerves somewhat, and maybe we can make a real push in the second half of the season with a couple of January additions to bolster the squad.
I'm really surprised you'd want Mourinho mate, any of the hopes you had for us playing attractive football and a proper 4-3-3 would die with him in charge, not to mention he's a clown.

Cina

Good post for a rubbish poster

(hehe)

Moriarty

I'd fully understand why he'd be reluctant to step in, but we are in dire need IMO.
We're in a slump, not at the bottom of the table. I know it's relative but we've still got a long way to go this season. It isn't looking good but calling the Wizard out of retirement isn't really an option.

redshaw

Looks like soon as the hierarchy of the top clubs in question know if Pep is staying or going, the rest will fall into place.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I'm really surprised you'd want Mourinho mate, any of the hopes you had for us playing attractive football and a proper 4-3-3 would die with him in charge, not to mention he's a clown.
Mourinho's teams do play attacking football if he has players.
The bolded bit. wtf? Yes he is coming off a bad season, very bad in fact, but he is someone who has won 8 league titles in 4 different countries in last decade and has won on an average 2 trophies a year. He is a clown? I can understand people not liking him but give him some respect ffs.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I fear Pep will just string us along (like he's done with Bayern this season) then join City. It just feels like he's got a deal with City, and he wouldnt want to join us.

I'd bring in Jose. He's got his faults, but he's like us right now, a wounded giant with so much to prove.

Mani

If pep or Ancelotti ready to take it at the end of the season then go for Giggs as stop gap, if either of these two not happening then hire Jose immediately, this man love to coach us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I dare say we won't sack Van Gaal any time soon, so this is all very fanciful.

Not sure how anyone thinks there's the remotest chance of Mourinho though.
We didn't want him when we could have got him after Fergie. And his ticket was top notch then.

He's had a colossal failure, looks an absolute busted flush. Charlton and his allies will not take him.

if he goesl, Giggs will get caretaker til the end of the season. I can't even see any different scenario

Devil may care

We're in a slump, not at the bottom of the table. I know it's relative but we've still got a long way to go this season. It isn't looking good but calling the Wizard out of retirement isn't really an option.
It's not about bottom of the table, it's about the very real possibility of not making top 4, if Fergie came in he'd assure that IMO and then the ship would be steadied for the next manager.

Mourinho's teams do play attacking football if he has players.
The bolded bit. wtf? Yes he is coming off a bad season, very bad in fact, but he is someone who has won 8 league titles in 4 different countries in last decade and has won on an average 2 trophies a year. He is a clown? I can understand people not liking him but give him some respect ffs.
I'm talking about his disgraceful conduct this season, he's a clown of a person.

hubbuh

Surely they'd feel all three out, assess their viability and go from there? Otherwise every appointment made that isn't a club's first choice is tainted by being the back up option.

Dobba

I'll take the lethal injection, please.

Oh for a time machine to give the linesman in the United vs Porto game some feckin' glasses. Maureen would be just another manager.

Last edited:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I'm talking about his disgraceful conduct this season, he's a clown of a person.
Well yeah, he is a weirdo, but this season what he did was awful even by his usual antics. I can only hope he would not be doing same again.

Enigma_87

You know who
I dare say we won't sack Van Gaal any time soon, so this is all very fanciful.

Not sure how anyone thinks there's the remotest chance of Mourinho though.
We didn't want him when we could have got him after Fergie. And his ticket was top notch then.

It was up to Fergie and he chose another manager. Fergie is not calling it now.
He's had a colossal failure, looks an absolute busted flush. Charlton and his allies will not take him.
One bad half a season in like 15 years?

They took LvG whose resume is not half as good as Jose's...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was up to Fergie and he chose another manager. Fergie is not calling it now.

One bad half a season in like 15 years?

They took LvG whose resume is not half as good as Jose's...
Fergie didn't make the decision alone. And did you miss his book where he suggested Moyes was as low as 6th in the picks!

It's the last half season though. It's not about years ago.

Otherwise Rooney would still be one of the league's top players.

Devil may care

Well yeah, he is a weirdo, but this season what he did was awful even by his usual antics. I can only hope he would not be doing same again.
I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, his first course of action when things went bad was to throw his players under the bus and claim it was his brilliance that got them the PL title last season. He's a self server.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Depends on Pep. We are not heavily dependent on sponsors for revenue, Maureen has a track record of offending people so f*ck knows who he might upset. One thing is clear, LVG must go now.
I actually think if Mourinho ever came here then he'd reel a lot of the pantomime stuff in and we'd see a much more mature guy.

Enigma_87

You know who
Fergie didn't make the decision alone. And did you miss his book where he suggested Moyes was as low as 6th in the picks!
I read his book excerpt but he also implied that the other choices were unattainable at that time, which makes it a moot point.
It's the last half season though. It's not about years ago.

Otherwise Rooney would still be one of the league's top players.
Managers and players age kinda differently tho. Fergie had crap seasons when there were even calls for his head. LvG had a terrible second spell in Barca again. There's no manager with a perfect resume. Besides Mou is still 52. He has at least 15 years at top level if he wants it.

Red Stone

I assume the club have been keeping tabs on Pep. If we end up getting Mourinho I take that as a sign that Pep is going elsewhere.

My first choice would be Ancelotti as interim (and possibly permanent manager if he impresses) with a view to hire Pep, Simeone or Blanc in the summer. I feel like they're better long term investments than Mourinho, even if my view of him is strongly coloured by Chelsea's current situation. Either way, if we bring on Mourinho we'd be idiots to give him a longer contract than until the end of 2017/18 because of that.

I'd love Pep. I want to see how he does with less talented squad than the Barca and Bayern teams he's managed. Less caustic than Mourinho too, which is a huge bonus.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I read his book excerpt but he also implied that the other choices were unattainable at that time, which makes it a moot point.

Managers and players age kinda differently tho. Fergie had crap seasons when there were even calls for his head. LvG had a terrible second spell in Barca again. There's no manager with a perfect resume. Besides Mou is still 52. He has at least 15 years at top level if he wants it.

If Mourino ever becomes our manager, I will meet you at a game and proclaim you a visionary

Adebesi

If Mourinho comes in, in any capacity, I don't think there's any chance we'll get Guardiola. I don't think we'll get Guardiola anyway.

I can see the argument for Mourinho, I really can. But I can't get behind it.

So caretaker, despite that probably meaning Giggs and having no confidence in that at all. At least it only need be a contract till the end of the season, which would be an opportunity to get a look at what that would be like.

Enigma_87

You know who
So caretaker, despite that probably meaning Giggs and having no confidence in that at all. At least it only need be a contract till the end of the season, which would be an opportunity to get a look at what that would be like.
Ok so let's have this hypothetical scenario. We appoint Giggs, which hardly will change stuff and would mean missing top 4.We enter the summer, Pep goes to City(seems all but arranged), Ancelotti to Bayern, Mourinho say is not appropriate option. So who else can we get?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Well what can I say, I've always been kind of a closet Mourinho admirer (from afar), and even wanted him to replace Fergie in 2013. He can be petulant yes, but a lot of it is physiological warfare (barring this season, the Tito eye gouging and the Eva episode - the details of which are still pretty murky). Do think his reputation for being the baron of shite football is a little undeserved too. His teams have never finished outside of the Top 3 in the league in terms of scoring (and that 3rd position was from his first season back at Chelsea in 2013, apart from that he has always finished in the Top 2). His first Chelsea team played some lovely football at times, as did Porto. Even Internazionale could be exciting - defeating Barcelona 3-1 at San Siro was no mean feat and they were pulsating vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge with Sneijder running riot. Real Madrid scored 326 league goals under him in 3 seasons. Barcelona scored 320 goals in comparison, and they had Pep at the helm for the first 2 seasons, including the 2011/ 2012 season when Real Madrid established a new Liga record for goals in a season that stands to this day - with 121 in 38 games. One might argue that anyone could get that level of production from a team boasting the talents of Ronaldo, Benzema, Di María and Özil, but Barcelona had an even better attack and Madrid still managed to outscore them. He does deserve some form of credit for that. Even the draw in Madrid vs United was quite open, and only a sensational performance from De Gea kept them at bay.

He is pragmatic first and foremost no doubt about it, but if he has the personnel to play attractive football, he won't necessarily shackle them unless the occasion demands it - big European matches, title deciders, against key rivals and the like. It's just that those kind of bigger matches are more highlighted, so he has gotten the label of a bus parking anti-football expert. Also, he is quite fluid when it comes to formations. Porto played a sort of diamond with Deco as the AM behind two strikers, Chelsea played a 4-3-3 with Lampard as the attacking box to box and Essien as the defensive box to box with Robben and Duff out wide, Internazionale alternated between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 with Sneijder tucking in and Milito, Eto'o, Pandev up front. So the hopes for a 4-3-3 wouldn't necessarily die with his appointment. With Madrid, he was almost forced into a 4-2-3-1 because of Özil too. He will play the formation which will get the best out of the available personnel, so nothing is set in stone from that perspective.

Also, a couple quick points:

1. He will be up for it. We know what happened when he was sacked at Chelsea for the first time - his Internazionale tenure was really special, and I think Mourinho will be super motivated to take the United job. Remember when he was at Porto and linked to the Liverpool job before joining Chelsea. He said something to the tune of - United and Liverpool are the two teams he would love to manage in England because of their history. And I think United might bring the best out of him, really do. It might just be a perfect storm situation with a club that needs guidance coupling with a decorated manager who's beleaguered right now, and at the nadir of his career.

2. Chelsea's performances this season were not all on Mourinho. The players had quite visibly given up for some reason, and I suspect there were a lot of background politics going on with multiple people trying to one up each other under Abramovich. Plus, a lot of Chelsea supporters I know said that they had overachieved last season, and were set to regress following a summer where they didn't make substantial improvements in terms of adding quality players to push on. Far too much of the blame is being leveled on Mourinho which I think is a bit unfair.

3. Despite his failings at Chelsea, IMO Mourinho is still a Top 3 manager. He has a fantastic body of work and it's a bit early to downgrade him. Some class Simeone alongside him and Pep, others Ancelotti; but IMO Mourinho has the best resume after (or at par with) Pep. Too many times people rely on emotion which stems from a dislike of José, his personality, or the notion of his dull brand of football; but rationally speaking, he is a winner (6 months doesn't change that), and might just be the best choice, especially now that Pep and Carlo look set to join other clubs. And what went on at Chelsea doesn't really affect that stance, because we know too little to form a concrete opinion.

JackXX

I think bring in Mourinho straight away. I'm getting a bit fed up with this revolving door bollocks though & we no doubt will need another manager in a couple of years. Perhaps this is the way it is now.