g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Stop-gap till end of season or Mourinho now?

Stop gap or Mourinho

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

itso 7

No. Mourinho has a record of not staying at a club for more than 3 seasons, being successful for only 2. Pretty stop gap if you ask me.

Whether that's his fault or the clubs board is a different story all together.
I would take those 'two successful years' right now if offered. If we don't arrest this decline it could be a long time before we achieve any success and with Pep seemingly set for City it could be much worse. Mourinho is a natural winner who I think would thrive here where he will have total control of the football side which could also mean that the petulant side of his which seems to bring premature ends to his reigns won't rear it's ugly head. Another factor to consider is that in three years time the conditions in the market would have changed with several top managers being available then.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don't mind the two-season thing about Mourinho at all to be honest. Not many top managers in this day and age will be long term, and that's ok. I mean maybe Jose can come in and do a job and when he leaves we can try get Pep or Simeone or whoever? Long-term isn't the be all and end all for football management.

We were just lucky and slightly spoilt by SAF because he truly is a rare breed that was long-term and successful. If there were other managers that can do this, I'm sure the top teams would snap them up.

Theonas

Scout
If we can get Pep in the summer, I honestly would rather miss out on the top 4 than go for Mourinho. Only relegation or going something like 5 years without a trophy would be for me reason enough to stoop that low.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I read the third Option as "Simeone else" in the first place :lol:

However, like some others mentioned I am warming to the idea of Mourinho taking over. He is as good a Manager as Guardiola and Ancelotti. Never been a fan of his playing style to be fair but maybe that might be different when he joins us.

The only Thing I am not sure about is how much pulling power our new Manager Needs when it Comes to attract new Players. I somehow believe that more top Players would like to Play for Guardiola or Ancelotti than for Mourinho but maybe this is just a myth.

kps88

We can't afford to be fussy with Bayern, Chelsea and City all in the market for a new manager. Unless we're happy with Giggs as the fallback.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Why not go after Simeone instead? He's proven himself at the top level and his players are loyal to him. Why do you want all the poison that Mourinho brings with him?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Why not go after Simeone instead? He's proven himself at the top level and his players are loyal to him. Why do you want all the poison that Mourinho brings with him?
No way that we get Simeone now. Would take him in a heartbeat.
Klopp would have been the one available Option but this is also gone.

United - Mourinho just seems to be a good fit at that Point in time.

crossy1686

career ending
I was thinking about this, this morning.

If we're to believe the board and their stance on Mourinho (He's not a United manager in Bobby Charlton's words). Sacking Van Gaal would give the pro Mourinho people on our board the chance to convince the others that we bring him in on probation until the end of the season, caretaker manager style, then, if he impresses we hand him a 3 year contract.

There's no way he's going to get a 3 year deal right after we sack Van Gaal. We have to be sure there won't be a post Chelsea melt down that will make us look like a joke.

Bojan11

Because he can't speak a word of English. His style of management would be pointless if he can't speak the language.

He's also had falling out with players too. He's just turfed them before they got poisonous like Mandzukic. Ballbag said he's a bit psycho and might not be suited to another club.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Can't see Simeone moving from A.Madrid yet, he's in the process of building something good there is adored by the Athletic fans, there's really no need for him to move at all. Especially as moving from them to us would be a downgrade too.

saivet

I voted Mou. However if Pep to us is a done deal for the summer then I'd just have Giggs or some stop gap manager for the rest of the season.

SirAF

Ageist
I don't mind the two-season thing about Mourinho at all to be honest. Not many top managers in this day and age will be long term, and that's ok. I mean maybe Jose can come in and do a job and when he leaves we can try get Pep or Simeone or whoever? Long-term isn't the be all and end all for football management.

We were just lucky and slightly spoilt by SAF because he truly is a rare breed that was long-term and successful. If there were other managers that can do this, I'm sure the top teams would snap them up.
Completely agree. I think we need to start looking at managers as just ordinary employees of the club. We, United fans, have for a long time been used to look at (and rightfully so) our manager as a God but that time has sadly passed.