Stop-gap till end of season or Mourinho now?

Stop gap or Mourinho

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walters_19_MuFc

Wow. People are really desperate, judging by the votes. Having said that, Mourinho's track record doesn't lie. He has been a very successful manager. Still wouldn't want him, though.

Devil may care

Well what can I say, I've always been kind of a closet Mourinho admirer (from afar), and even wanted him to replace Fergie in 2013. He can be petulant yes, but a lot of it is physiological warfare (barring this season, the Tito eye gouging and the Eva episode - the details of which are still pretty murky). Do think his reputation for being the baron of shite football is a little undeserved too. His teams have never finished outside of the Top 3 in the league in terms of scoring (and that 3rd position was from his first season back at Chelsea in 2013, apart from that he has always finished in the Top 2). His first Chelsea team played some lovely football at times, as did Porto. Even Internazionale could be exciting - defeating Barcelona 3-1 at San Siro was no mean feat and they were pulsating vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge with Sneijder running riot. Real Madrid scored 326 league goals under him in 3 seasons. Barcelona scored 320 goals in comparison, and they had Pep at the helm for the first 2 seasons, including the 2011/ 2012 season when Real Madrid established a new Liga record for goals in a season that stands to this day - with 121 in 38 games. One might argue that anyone could get that level of production from a team boasting the talents of Ronaldo, Benzema, Di María and Özil, but Barcelona had an even better attack and Madrid still managed to outscore them. He does deserve some form of credit for that. Even the draw in Madrid vs United was quite open, and only a sensational performance from De Gea kept them at bay.

He is pragmatic first and foremost no doubt about it, but if he has the personnel to play attractive football, he won't necessarily shackle them unless the occasion demands it - big European matches, title deciders, against key rivals and the like. It's just that those kind of bigger matches are more highlighted, so he has gotten the label of a bus parking anti-football expert. Also, he is quite fluid when it comes to formations. Porto played a sort of diamond with Deco as the AM behind two strikers, Chelsea played a 4-3-3 with Lampard as the attacking box to box and Essien as the defensive box to box with Robben and Duff out wide, Internazionale alternated between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 with Sneijder tucking in and Milito, Eto'o, Pandev up front. So the hopes for a 4-3-3 wouldn't necessarily die with his appointment. With Madrid, he was almost forced into a 4-2-3-1 because of Özil too. He will play the formation which will get the best out of the available personnel, so nothing is set in stone from that perspective.

Also, a couple quick points:

1. He will be up for it. We know what happened when he was sacked at Chelsea for the first time - his Internazionale tenure was really special, and I think Mourinho will be super motivated to take the United job. Remember when he was at Porto and linked to the Liverpool job before joining Chelsea. He said something to the tune of - United and Liverpool are the two teams he would love to manage in England because of their history. And I think United might bring the best out of him, really do. It might just be a perfect storm situation with a club that needs guidance coupling with a decorated manager who's beleaguered right now, and at the nadir of his career.

2. Chelsea's performances this season were not all on Mourinho. The players had quite visibly given up for some reason, and I suspect there were a lot of background politics going on with multiple people trying to one up each other under Abramovich. Plus, a lot of Chelsea supporters I know said that they had overachieved last season, and were set to regress following a summer where they didn't make substantial improvements in terms of adding quality players to push on. Far too much of the blame is being leveled on Mourinho which I think is a bit unfair.

3. Despite his failings at Chelsea, IMO Mourinho is still a Top 3 manager. He has a fantastic body of work and it's a bit early to downgrade him. Some class Simeone alongside him and Pep, others Ancelotti; but IMO Mourinho has the best resume after (or at par with) Pep. Too many times people rely on emotion which stems from a dislike of José, his personality, or the notion of his dull brand of football; but rationally speaking, he is a winner (6 months doesn't change that), and might just be the best choice, especially now that Pep and Carlo look set to join other clubs. And what went on at Chelsea doesn't really affect that stance, because we know too little to form a concrete opinion.
I didn't see much of his Porto team but I found his Chelsea, Inter and Real teams mostly soulless machines, effective at scoring yes, but it was not the flair football I want to see from United, there's just something very mechanical about everything he touches, and I hate his trait of trying to see out games with a DM sub at 70 minutes instead of going for the jugular like Pep and Klopps teams do.

1. He'll be up for it because he's always wanted this job, but to me this is a job in dire need of someone that is ready for the struggle, he is a manager who likes seasoned pros and always has teams that are in good shape when he gets there. We are a team filled with average senior players and kids, to me this is far from the perfect storm as regards to what his skillet is, the perfect move for him would have been Bayern.

2. They didn't invest well I agree there, as Fergie said when he didn't do it after we won the treble, it's a mistake not to strengthen from a winning position, it prevents those who had won getting too comfortable in their spot. However losing the players is his own fault IMO, I have never seen a manager so crudely dispatch of his own men publicly the way Jose did with Matic, Terry and Hazard.

3. his resume is strong no doubt, and I am not even downgrading him, I think he could go to Bayern or even back to Real and have more success, the teams are in the shape he needs them to be in order to do his work well. However we are not ideal for him in terms of where this squad is at and from the fact we really need to appoint a flair manager as LvG lost the fans not through results, but through pragmatic, dull, uninspired football.

vidic blood & sand

Mourinho?

You mean the guy who makes himself more important than the club he manages?
And just shipwrecked Chelseas's season?

64 people want him?

ROFLOL!

the hea

Not a big fan of Mourinho but I can't see anyone better becoming available in the summer so might as well hire him now. I'm asuming Pep to City is a done deal.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Well?

If Van Gaal goes that is, which seems likely.

If we go for stop gap, there is huge risk of missing out on top 4 and in summer if Pep chooses City and Mourinho goes to PSG or Real Madrid or somewhere else, we risk not having a big name manager available while missing out on CL next year. Basically, that risk is worth only if Pep commits to us.

If we get Mourinho right away, we at least have a proven winner as manager and though it might stifle youngster development and he will create controversies sometimes, he will keep United among top clubs.

Basically, if Pep is not committing to us for sure AND that too in next summer (no sabbatical), then it is huge risk going for stop gap now.
That's how I see it. If we can sign him up for the beginning of next season, I'd be willing to risk a stop-gap. Otherwise, it's going to have to be Jose.

C'est Moi Cantona

If it were 5-6 weeks further into the season I'd say a stop gap & give Jose the summer to assess & sort things out, but given he can genuinely change things now, both with the current squad & crucially in the transfer market then if he wants it he should start now.

To amble through the rest of the season would be stupid especially as we could easily miss out on the top 4, then where would that leave us?... That's right Giggs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do everything to get pep in. So ideally a stop gap. But I'm beginning to come around to the idea of mourinho.

Either way, lvg's time is probably up. It's gone completely tits up after a dull but solid start to the season. We're absolutely woeful right now.

The Law of Denis

Unless we can get Fergie or Simeone, we should go for Mourinho.

There is no need to overthink this. There is no option but Jose.

vidic blood & sand

The problem is, who else is there?
Mourinho's not going to accept an interim position. He'd demand at least three years.
His style of play is defensive and boring.

Ancelotti would be a better choice. Or hand the reigns over to Giggs. Let him have a shot, with possibly Rene Meulensteen
brought on board.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Mourinho now, we can all pretend the last 30 months never existed and live happily ever after.

Sam

Mourinho's not going to accept an interim position. He'd demand at least three years.
His style of play is defensive and boring.

Ancelotti would be a better choice. Or hand the reigns over to Giggs. Let him have a shot, with possibly Rene Meulensteen
brought on board.
Giggs >> Jose? :lol:

You're living in a bubble.

Varun

Staff
Ask Pep for a commitment. If he says yes, appoint Giggsy to see out the season or try for a good interim manager. If he says No, contact Ancelotti and ask him to join immediately. If he isn't available either, approach Pochettino.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mourinho?

You mean the guy who makes himself more important than the club he manages?
And just shipwrecked Chelseas's season?

64 people want him?

ROFLOL!
The guy that won the league last season? The guy that has won the league in 4 different countries. Yeah, wonder why anybody would want him. Lets just give it to Giggs, he once managed a team for 3 games or something. Much better.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is a twat, but ffs anything is better than this fecking rubbish we are being served every week.

Riz

It really depends on Guardiola's decsion. I'd be very surprised if Ancelotti isn't taking over at Bayern in the summer so that leaves us Guardiola or Mourinho, I dont really want anyone else.

If we can convince Guardiola to take over in the summer then I think that's the best option, but it would mean an interim manager for the rest of the season, hopefully not Giggs.

If Guardiola can't be persuaded then there's no point waiting till the summer when we can replace Van Gaal with Mourinho right now.

Our problem lies in the fact that it's unlikely Pep will commit right now so we could risk bringing in an interim manager/giving the gig to Giggs only for Guardiola to choose City/Chelsea/Arsenal in the summer, Mourinho will have gone elsewhere by that point and we have no clear candidate heading into 2016/17.

I am now of the opinion that van Gaal needs to go immediately, but our next move is pretty unclear so I think he'll remain in charge until we've put feelers out.

Riz

Depends on Pep. We are not heavily dependent on sponsors for revenue, Maureen has a track record of offending people so f*ck knows who he might upset. One thing is clear, LVG must go now.
Do you mean not or now?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
The stop gap that would give us the best chance of qualifying for champions leagu is Louis van gaal. Not very exciting but the truth unfortunately...

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
The stop gap that would give us the best chance of qualifying for champions leagu is Louis van gaal. Not very exciting but the truth unfortunately...
You're not wrong.

Has to be either Mourinho now or Pep in the summer if he can make the commitment.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Mourinho so he can get things going, identify weaknesses and fix them in the summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The Mourinho thing isn't as easy a decision as is often made out to be. It's not just about how proven you are. LVG was very proven but most people think he's been mediocre. It's also about the fit, and where that person is in his career.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Voted Mourinho, however, if Pep/Carlo were up for it in the summer, I'd actually wait til then with van Gaal (not Giggs) in charge.

Sam

The guy that has managed 4 wins in the last 15 games?

We might as well give up on the CL this season if he's our best hope.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mourinho immediately.

With Pep at City, Ancelotti at Bayern, Klopp at Liverpool and Simeone not looking to change clubs, there is no better option than Mourinho (even if this was the end of the season).

There is absolutely no reason to go with a stopgap when one of the best managers of all time is available.

Also, even if we can get Pep in the summer (unlikely), I don't think it is a great idea to completely write off this season because of that. Despite that I like Pep more, if the question is 'Mourinho now or Pep in the summer' I think that I would have gone with Mourinho now.

stubie

In regards to people saying Giggs until May, how about Warren Joyce? Done a great job with the U21s.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'd wait for Pep but it could be ANOTHER season not challenging for the league, unless we get a good interim. feck sticking with Van Gaal, we wouldn't even finish top 4.

I'm not too keen on Mouriniho but he would sort us out, maybe even win something with us. But in the long term the traditions would not be kept and you have to think about how he would leave..he never lasts long and there is always dispute.

The real dream is Fergie until May then Pep in Summer but that is about as likely as Moyes coming back.

Amir

Voted Mourinho, however, if Pep/Carlo were up for it in the summer, I'd actually wait til then with van Gaal (not Giggs) in charge.
I can understand Guardiola, but I don't see why Ancelotti would be superior to Mourinho. He's not one for long term roles either and he can blow hot and cold. He's done well in the Champions League but his league career hasn't been anything special. Other than the fact he's been sitting at home and Mourinho's had his first real crap season, I don't see the advantages (unless it's the character issues that you're worried about).

CM

Unless things go completely tits up for van Gaal, I'd stick with him until the summer and then go all out for Pep.

If he's not available then we should look elsewhere. I want us to avoid Mourinho at all costs.

Get In Scholesy

Except that they aren't the same at all. Ironically, they are completely different.
No. Mourinho has a record of not staying at a club for more than 3 seasons, being successful for only 2. Pretty stop gap if you ask me.

Whether that's his fault or the clubs board is a different story all together.

Smores

I'd hope the club would only consider Fergie if he offered, otherwise i think he should be left to enjoy his retirement.

Revan

Assumptionman
No. Mourinho has a record of not staying at a club for more than 3 seasons, being successful for only 2. Pretty stop gap if you ask me.

Whether that's his fault or the clubs board is a different story all together.
Not if you're living in 2015. If you're stucked in eighties, then yes.

Todd

A new manager isn't going to fix this mess. Anyone who believes that bringing in Mou right now would set the ship right is just queuing up further disappointment in the coming months. We need a fit squad and attacking players that can score on a consistent basis, and these are things that are beyond a manager's ability to engineer.

MAME DIOUF 32

How many times will Giggs be willing to do it on an interim basis? There are already whispers that he wants long term assurances. We can't take him stepping in as a given.