Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

phelans shorts

The 90's fashion has been going for years. It lasted a lot longer than the 80's thing really. Apparently were on the 00's now. I've heard Limp Bizkit mentioned way too many times recently. I've had the joy of listening to conversations about how crap low rise jeans are, how much everyone hates them and how the 00's suck. I'm pretty sure im a fashion guru via osmosis now.
Limp Bizkit released a new album last year. Genuinely pretty enjoyable (well apart from the skits), Dirty Rotten Bizkit and Dad Vibes in particular.

I think fashion finds itself as something of a pilot fish riding in ahead of other parts of culture. Although yes low rise is absolutely not good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think this is a bizarrely subjective thing for anyone to say with such objective certainty. Also the 80s was considered quite a naff era for a good while until it came back in vogue. This seems more like your opinion than anything else. Sounds like my dad talking about the Dave Clark Five.

I think there’d be plenty of people who would chose the 60s, 70s or 90s over the 80s, and the 00s are too young to have had a proper nostalgic appraisal yet.
Of course that part is mostly subjective, but I highly suspect it to be the case. Even Nimic’s graphic that we know very little about shows Gen Z prefers 80s to 90s.

00s being too young doesn’t fly considering the 80s have been celebrated or taken the rip out of on a grand scale for the last 20 years.
I really dont think 80's is seen as a particularly strong era of music by most. There was way, way too much cringy, terrible shit amongst the good. Who the hell thinks the 80's was cool? :lol:
I’ve already detailed why it’s absolutely a very important era for music, and that’s not subjective. That there was a lot cringey shit is irrelevant to the importance of the stuff that wasn’t. Cringe is also a huge factor in the nostalgia of the 80s - see Stranger Things.

Then prepare to be very surprised, because it’s absolutely going to happen. Just as the 00’s will have their day, just as the 10’s and just as right now will.
I highly doubt the 10s will. A very unremarkable decade. The 60s, 70s, and 80s we’re iconic for various standout reasons, with huge new movements that have come to represent each era. You don’t have that for the last two decades. You do for the 90s to an extent, to be fair.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Think its a very simple answer, those in their teens and early 20s probably haven't heard it unless they have a keen interest in music from that era. So if anything its not that surprising. Pretty sure before the episode if you played the song to a 15yo or 20yo they'd probably have no clue about it or who Kate Bush is. Could probably do the same to an average 30yo and I'd be surprised if they knew the song.
Yeah. And all I did was say I was mildly surprised at how few people do know it :lol:

But this if the caf.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The fact that the 80s was when music became truly ubiquitous thanks to digital audio and CDs must play a part as well.
Yes definitely. People downplaying how big the 80s was for music, both in terms of how it was made and how it was consumed is baffling at best. The Sony Walkman came out in 1979 ffs. With the first portable CD player not that long after.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Of course that part is mostly subjective, but I highly suspect it to be the case. Even Nimic’s graphic that we know very little about shows Gen Z prefers 80s to 90s.
Gen Z don’t remember the 90s and have been bombarded by 80s nostalgia for the past entire decade.

00s being too young doesn’t fly considering the 80s have been celebrated or taken the rip out of on a grand scale for the last 20 years.
… because the 80s is 20 years older than the 00s?

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Sure thing. It’ll come. We’ve got to do the 90s first though.

You don’t have that for the last two decades.
You don’t know that, because you weren’t/aren’t either culturally embedded in them, or benefitting from the selective hagiography of future nostalgia.

This is fecking basic old man shouts at cloud stuff.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sure thing. It’ll come.

You don’t know that, because you weren’t/aren’t either culturally embedded in them, or benefitting from the selective hagiography of future nostalgia.

This is fecking basic old man shouts at cloud stuff.
You’ve thrown some theories around but they are very much just that. You said something I said was subjective but have essentially made up reasons for things happening based on nothing, as if it’s gospel.

I’ve outlined fact after fact about why the 80s were so important for music and how that very likely resonates with people because it’s more familiar than eras prior. We’ve had Nimic kindly help back things up a little with his graphic.

This is basic modern day internet - where people who don’t know what they’re talking about keep trying to find an edge in an argument. Baring in mind one of the now many arguments here was that the 80s were nothing special in terms of music, which is what both you and nimic decided to argue against. I've proved that wrong and there's been no proper counter to it.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
The whole thing is peak caf. Literally has just been theories with nothing to back them up vs a theory with loads to back it up that someone decided to make a meal out of.
Peak.

Caf.

I think the majority of people would like to listen to some 80s pop classics over 90s and early 00s pop, largely because the music was better and more timeless in a sense (even if it is very obviously 80s).
Maybe? I used the Billboard Year-End number one single in the "Pop" category (because it's about as objective as any other conceivable method). Here are all 30 songs from 1980 to 2009, in order of Spotify plays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Year-End_number-one_singles_and_albums

I colour coded them by decade. Million plays in parentheses.

1. 1983: Every Breath You Take (1185)
  2. 1995: Gangsta's Paradise (936)
  3. 2003: In Da Club (856)
  4. 2004: Yeah! (826)
  5. 2008: Low (676)
  6. 2002: How You Remind Me (634)
  7. 1985: Careless Whisper (596)
  8. 1993: I Will Always Love You (483)
  9. 2007: Irreplaceable (442)
  10. 2006: Bad Day (434)
  11. 1991: (Everything I Do) I Do It for You (409)
  12. 1999: Believe (385)
  13. 2005: We Belong Together (381)
  14. 1988: Faith (350)
  15. 1980: Call Me (276)
  16. 2009: Boom Boom Pow (270)
  17. 1981: Bette Davis Eyes (234)
  18. 1992: End of the Road (223)
  19. 1994: The Sign (186)
  20. 1987: Walk Like An Egyptian (177)
  21. 1984: When Doves Cry (171)
  22. 2001: Hanging by a Moment (154)
  23. 1998: Too Close (144)
  24. 1990: Hold On (129)
  25. 1997: Candle in the Wind (120)
  26. 1986: That's What Friends Are For (107)
  27. 2000: Breathe (90)
  28. 1982: Physical (49)
  29. 1996: Macarena (46)
  30. 1989: Look Away (19)
What does this tell us? First of all it tells us that it's been way too long since I did a Football Manager Experiment, if I've resorted to spending tine on making lists like this and colour coding them. But I don't think there's a lot else to take away from this if the thesis is "the 80s were objectively better and people would rather listen to it".

For the record, Running Up That Hill has 233 million plays, which would put it in a solid 17th spot on this list. Barbie Girl by Aqua (1997), has 279 million. Boom Boom Boom Boom!! by Vengaboys (1998) has 307 million. That's a bit unfair, though, as that last one is an undeniable classic.

Withnail

I was in my teens in the 90s. Everything 80s was despised as old hat and naff as feck and a lot of the mainstream stuff was just that. One of my mates loved 80s pop music and got slagged unmercilessly for it. Now everyone's listening to at least some of that stuff. It goes in nostalgia cycles and yes the 2000/10s etc will get the same treatment as there was a lot of good music made which will be rediscovered by the younger generation.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think this is a bizarrely subjective thing for anyone to say with such objective certainty. Also the 80s was considered quite a naff era for a good while until it came back in vogue. This seems more like your opinion than anything else. Sounds like my dad talking about the Dave Clark Five.

I think there’d be plenty of people who would chose the 60s, 70s or 90s over the 80s, and the 00s are too young to have had a proper nostalgic appraisal yet.
The 80's had lots of cheesy stuff. Some entertaining, some cringeworthy and some both. But it was also a decade of lots of very very good music indeed. The 90's had its moments but on average I think things have been trending downhill since then. Subjective of course (despite me being right ;) )

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I for one look forward to the Backstreet Boys being rightfully venerated by the Z's.

Dan_F

I was in my teens in the 90s. Everything 80s was despised as old hat and naff as feck and a lot of the mainstream stuff was just that. One of my mates loved 80s pop music and got slagged unmercilessly for it. Now everyone's listening to at least some of that stuff. It goes in nostalgia cycles and yes the 90s/2000s etc will get the same treatment as there was a lot of good music made which will be rediscovered by the younger generation.
Surely the 90s has already been in that cycle for years? Both in fashion and music, at least in the UK, which is something that hasn’t been mentioned yet. Potentially, 90s nostalgia is stronger in the UK than some other areas?

Either way, fashion has been leaning towards the 90s so long now that we’re pushing on to 2000s in some stuff. It won’t be long till that filters down and goes more mainstream. I just can’t see how anyone thinks 80s fashion has been more popular recently.

Withnail

Surely the 90s has already been in that cycle for years? Both in fashion and music, at least in the UK, which is something that hasn’t been mentioned yet. Potentially, 90s nostalgia is stronger in the UK than some other areas?

Either way, fashion has been leaning towards the 90s so long now that we’re pushing on to 2000s in some stuff. It won’t be long till that filters down and goes more mainstream. I just can’t see how anyone thinks 80s fashion has been more popular recently.
Yeah sorry I was more speaking to the contention that the 2000/10s music wouldn't get the same treatment in the future. I was also unable to sleep and lazily mentioned 90s. Fashion is a different thing I feel and seems to be moving quicker but we're yet to see a return of bootcut jeans or has that already started happening?

Although this is now way off thread. On topic I've enjoyed the season so far and didn't read much of the thread before or during. Its in my nature to tend to gloss over most inconsistencies apart from really obvious ones and never think of trying to figure out who's who or what the plot twist will be but if I start reading about them and paying attention to them it takes away from my enjoyment so I just don't bother. I really love the vibe though. I've actually only started listening to Kate Bush, and a lot of stuff that passed me by when I was younger, during lockdown and I'm kicking myself a little bit so it's nice to see her getting more popular as a result.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Yeah sorry I was more speaking to the contention that the 2000/10s music wouldn't get the same treatment in the future. I was also unable to sleep and lazily mentioned 90s. Fashion is a different thing I feel and seems to be moving quicker but we're yet to see a return of bootcut jeans or has that already started happening?

Although this is now way off thread. On topic I've enjoyed the season so far and didn't read much of the thread before or during. Its in my nature to tend to gloss over most inconsistencies apart from really obvious ones and never think of trying to figure out who's who or what the plot twist will be but if I start reading about them and paying attention to them it takes away from my enjoyment so I just don't bother. I really love the vibe though. I've actually only started listening to Kate Bush, and a lot of stuff that passed me by when I was younger, during lockdown and I'm kicking myself a little bit so it's nice to see her getting more popular as a result.
Have you ever been to a rugby match or watched an episode of Top Gear? They never went away there.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Think its a very simple answer, those in their teens and early 20s probably haven't heard it unless they have a keen interest in music from that era. So if anything its not that surprising. Pretty sure before the episode if you played the song to a 15yo or 20yo they'd probably have no clue about it or who Kate Bush is. Could probably do the same to an average 30yo and I'd be surprised if they knew the song.
Absolutely. The whole discussion is pretty odd to me, because I'd be hardly surprised if many people in their 30s did not know the song. I was born in the 80s. There were plenty of 80s songs that were still popular enough in the 90s and 00s to be played at parties, in commercials or that were for other reasons widely familiar to people of my generation ("pop culture"). This wasn't one of them. My first reaction to the song during the "Max scene" was "This sounds like this one Placebo song" and there was no way I could have named the singer. From what I have gathered lots of people my age felt the same. So it's hardly surprising that kids half my age didn't know it.

Tarrou

There is so long between seasons, I can't even remember what this fecking thing is about anymore. I need to rewatch the whole thing tbh, but I just can't be bothered. I don't remember it being that great in the first place to warrant a complete re-watch. I can't even remember the names of the characters. Picking up season 4, I feel like I'd just be lost.
I couldn’t remember anything either and it didn’t seem to matter

it’s a bunch of kids versus some baddies, it’s easy to follow

Fingeredmouse

This thread has gone west
Ironically, Go West is the sort of shit that dominated the airwaves in the 80s, along with hair metal, Stock Aitken and Waterman, Madonna and fecking Phil Collins.

Kate Bush, who I love, is, also ironically, a direct scion of the 70s prog rock scene.

This 80s exceptionalism is just as ridiculous as the 60s exceptionalism that was ubiquitous in the 90s. There's great (and influential) music in every decade and no objective best time period. It's retrospective mythologising.

Last edited:

Sylar

'Upside, inside out' as a lyric would be apt for stranger things

Fingeredmouse

In the open air?

Nailed on in about ten years we’ll be seeing the same conversations about Livin’ La Vida Loca being the pinnacle.
We won't because we ignore the crap and focus on the good stuff. Just like the 80s mainstream wasn't really all New Order and The Smiths and the Pixies and Prince (although they were part of the mix) the late 90s and early 00s revivals will be the White Stripes and the Strokes and Radiohead and Daft Punk or some such even though the radio was all Ricky Martin, Effiel 65, Britney, Louis Bega and Cher (all of which still gets played where shit music proliferates to this day).

phelans shorts

We won't because we ignore the crap and focus on the good stuff. Just like the 80s mainstream wasn't really all New Order and The Smiths and the Pixies and Prince (although they were part of the mix) the late 90s and early 00s revivals will be the White Stripes and the Strokes and Radiohead and Daft Punk or some such even though the radio was all Ricky Martin, Effiel 65, Britney, Louis Bega and Cher (all of which still gets played where shit music proliferates to this day).
Hey, I’m not going to take slander of Britney and Cher. Believe by Cher is a great song, as is for instance Toxic or Everytime by Britney.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about that precise song but yeah, you’re right that is exactly how it does and will always work. Kate Bush herself only has one number one to her name for instance, so it’s not like she was the dominant musical force of her day.

Withnail

Hey, I’m not going to take slander of Britney and Cher. Believe by Cher is a great song, as is for instance Toxic or Everytime by Britney.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about that precise song but yeah, you’re right that is exactly how it does and will always work. Kate Bush herself only has one number one to her name for instance, so it’s not like she was the dominant musical force of her day.
To me those are just disposable manufactured pop ditties. Although I happily can't for the life of me remember everytime.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Yeah you have a point. Football and hipster fashion especially.

Roosney

Season 4 was like watching United this season: terrible shite but you keep watching only because you're in denial and except it to somehow magically get better.

Come on, how can anyone say this was a good season? Every episode has like 10 "this so fecking stupid" moments and the plot armour is too thick.
So far the stupidest thing must be the scenes at Suzie's house. Or Vecna turning into a narrative.

I can spoil you season five: the new baddie is a monster that kills citizens of Hawkings which grows him more heads and Dustin smokes weed and yells accidentally "code purple" in the walkie talkie and everybody laughs because it's so funny.