Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

Sylar

Season 4 was like watching United this season: terrible shite but you keep watching only because you're in denial and except it to somehow magically get better.

Come on, how can anyone say this was a good season? Every episode has like 10 "this so fecking stupid" moments and the plot armour is too thick.
So far the stupidest thing must be the scenes at Suzie's house. Or Vecna turning into a narrative.

I can spoil you season five: the new baddie is a monster that kills citizens of Hawkings which grows him more heads and Dustin smokes weed and yells accidentally "code purple" in the walkie talkie and everybody laughs because it's so funny.
Does this mean you won't watch?or will ya watch and still complain?

Bosws87

Season 4 was like watching United this season: terrible shite but you keep watching only because you're in denial and except it to somehow magically get better.

Come on, how can anyone say this was a good season? Every episode has like 10 "this so fecking stupid" moments and the plot armour is too thick.
So far the stupidest thing must be the scenes at Suzie's house. Or Vecna turning into a narrative.

I can spoil you season five: the new baddie is a monster that kills citizens of Hawkings which grows him more heads and Dustin smokes weed and yells accidentally "code purple" in the walkie talkie and everybody laughs because it's so funny.
It's been great similar to how top gun depth wise is non existent but it's an enjoyable ride.

You are looking for far too much.

AaronRedDevil

This season was the best.

Roosney

Does this mean you won't watch?or will ya watch and still complain?
Just like United games, I wish I could not watch.

It's been great similar to how top gun depth wise is non existent but it's an enjoyable ride.

You are looking for far too much.
Yeah I see your point but the early seasons were great, not this dumbed down haha funny shite.

This season was the best.
United or Stranger Things?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What an utterly shite season.

Starts off well with the first two episodes, with the season really going into the horror genre much unlike the previous seasons, but then moved into other storylines that I could not give a damn about.

The horror element of the season actually decreased as the season went on and we were forced to watch two side stories.

I'm sure a lot of people will praise the ending and how it ties the El storyline with the main Hawkins one, but that just creates some stupid plotlines that don't make sense. As soon as the guy said to El there was a 001 I immediately thought this is going to be Vecna, and when he asked El to take out that chip it was obvious he was going to be him, but then it creates the question just why the holy feck would you keep someone as dangerous and powerful as him as a freaking nurse in your facility, with the only thing stopping him being a stupid chip?!

Then, they commit the lazy cliche of making El, a kid with barely any training, somehow become powerful enough to not only defeat someone who killed people with ease but also transport him to another dimension. Did we forget El was having nosebleeds and getting tired after flipping a car in season 1? Yet we're supposed to believe just before that she was able to send a powerful phsycic to another dimension?! This was the same crap Star Wars pulled with Rey having superpowers to do everything required by the plot without any training.

Oh and this doesn't even mention the travesty that was the whole Russian prison side story. They should've just killed off Hooper in season 3 than make us go through those scenes.

Blekh, started off really promising but by the end I was begging it to finish just to atleast complete the season. Thankfully it was only 7 episodes.

Last edited:

Withnail

What an utterly shite season.

Starts off well with the first two episodes, with the season really going into the horror genre much unlike the previous seasons, but then moved into other storylines that I could not give a damn about.

The horror element of the season actually decreased as the season went on and we were forced to watch two side stories.

I'm sure a lot of people will praise the ending and how it ties the El storyline with the main Hawkins one, but that just creates some stupid plotlines that don't make sense. As soon as the guy said to El there was a 001 I immediately thought this is going to be Vecna, and when he asked El to take out that chip it was obvious he was going to be him, but then it creates the question just why the holy feck would you keep someone as dangerous and powerful as him as a freaking nurse in your facility, with the only thing stopping him being a stupid chip?!

Then, they commit the lazy cliche of making El, a kid with barely any training, somehow become powerful enough to not only defeat someone who killed people with ease but also transport him to another dimension. Did we forget El was having nosebleeds and getting tired after flipping a car in season 1? Yet we're supposed to believe just before that she was able to send a powerful phsycic to another dimension?! This was the same crap Star Wars pulled with Rey having superpowers to do everything required by the plot without any training.

Oh and this doesn't even mention the travesty that was the whole Russian prison side story. They should've just killed off Hooper in season 3 than make us go through those scenes.

Blekh, started off really promising but by the end I was begging it to finish just to atleast complete the season. Thankfully it was only 7 episodes.
Thankfully for me, but not for you, the season isn't finished. There are two more episodes... longer ones.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Thankfully for me, but not for you, the season isn't finished. There are two more episodes... longer ones.
Yea I'm not watching them, though my wife wants to :( She didn't like the season uptil now as well but the ending drew her back in.

Unam333

Can't wait!
How long will the last two episodes be? Three hours in total?
Hasanejaz88 is pulling his hair out. :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can't wait!
How long will the last two episodes be? Three hours in total?
Hasanejaz88 is pulling his hair out. :lol:
I'm not going to pay attention while it's played in the background, had to do same when she watched the first two seasons of Money Heist.

Unam333

I think it is around 4 hours. Last episode is 2h30 which I think is the longest TV episode I've ever watched. Should be epic.
Even better! The longer, the better. God knows when season 5 will be released. :mad:

Sylar

This show making Kate Bush number one in UK is just something.

I think this is a show that would have benefited from being one ep a week (though I love the binge aspect of course)

Moby

Dick

I think this is a show that would have benefited from being one ep a week (though I love the binge aspect of course)
Yeah especially given one episode has so much content. Weird that we had to watch Succession one episode a week when that's far better when watched together.

AFC NimbleThumb

The Ringer Podcast, The Town had a good episode about how Netflix’s binge strategy is both positive & negative. I think when you’re producing episodes that are pretty much feature length you should pace your audience. Similar to Top Boy I couldn’t binge this & actually take it in properly so only got round to finishing it today. There’s so much content it’s good to sit with it for a while.

Netflix have a problem on their hands i. the fact they produce good content but then give it out in one go so the buzz can die down quickly, I think something like how Peacock have staged their shows 3/4 to start then 1 weekly is the best way forward as it gets you hooked then you keep coming back. Stranfer Things hype is in a league of its own but other decent shows they’ve had tend to bubble then fall off quickly which is in large part due to their room out strategy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Some of you are really weird. When I don't like a show I stop watching it, you guys go all the way to the end and then go on rants about how you didn't like it. Odd.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Stranger Things is balls out entertainment. Aside from MI Fallout I don't remember a big blockbuster entertainer in recent years doing its job as well as this show consistently does. Season 4 is the second best one so far for me.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I always prefer all episodes being released at once so I can pace how I watch. One a week is nowhere near enough for good shows. Poorer shows and I forget/can't be bothered going back.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Some of you are really weird. When I don't like a show I stop watching it, you guys go all the way to the end and then go on rants about how you didn't like it. Odd.
I liked the start of the season and started to hate it around episode 5. I only wanted to finish the season because I've seen all previous seasons and there were only two episodes left. Another poster said it best, it's like watching United. I like the show so I was hoping it would get better as the season went by.

I don't finish seasons if I think it's crap after a few episodes. Did it with Money Heist, the currently running Ms Marvel, House of Cards in season 2 after that utterly stupid subway scene in episode 1.

GoT was another one where I liked the show so much I had to finish it in the hope that it would get better. It never did :(

Roosney

Am I missing something? This season has had far less number of humorous scenes as compared to previous seasons.
It's the quality not quantity.

One good example is Argyle as a whole.

And the scene with him falling in love with Suzie's sister and then end up smoking in the back of the pizza van. Like, what is that scene, who writes stuff like that? This cool scifi fantasy series have turned into cheap pointless high school drama.

Moby

Dick
It's the quality not quantity.

One good example is Argyle as a whole.

And the scene with him falling in love with Suzie's sister and then end up smoking in the back of the pizza van. Like, what is that scene, who writes stuff like that? This cool scifi fantasy series have turned into cheap pointless high school drama.
Not sure I still get it. You've mentioned like 2-3 scenes from a few hours of content, as if that's all that was happening throughout. I barely remember those scenes as they were so far and few in between the rest of the stuff which was in general far less humorous as compared to previous seasons where you pretty much had everything mixed in with kids having a laugh. They clearly added a tone of the kids growing up and maturing in majority of their conversations, whether it was Will and Mike reflecting on their friendship, or Mike and Eleven, or Max remembering Billy, etc. The whole season started with PTSD as the main theme.

Roosney

Not sure I still get it. You've mentioned like 2-3 scenes from a few hours of content, as if that's all that was happening throughout. I barely remember those scenes as they were so far and few in between the rest of the stuff which was in general far less humorous as compared to previous seasons where you pretty much had everything mixed in with kids having a laugh. They clearly added a tone of the kids growing up and maturing in majority of their conversations, whether it was Will and Mike reflecting on their friendship, or Mike and Eleven, or Max remembering Billy, etc. The whole season started with PTSD as the main theme.
Ok, let's say you like pizza. But this pizza has a wrong topping on it, like something you really really hate. It does make the whole pizza a bit shit, don't it?

phelans shorts

Ok, let's say you like pizza. But this pizza has a wrong topping on it, like something you really really hate. It does make the whole pizza a bit shit, don't it?
In this analogy there’s what, 2 anchovies (an example) on a very large pizza. You can eat plenty of excellent pizza without even going near the anchovies.

Only because of the actual scale of those scenes in the show, it’s more like two leaves of coriander, which you’d probably eat without noticing they were there tbh.

Roosney

In this analogy there’s what, 2 anchovies (an example) on a very large pizza. You can eat plenty of excellent pizza without even going near the anchovies.

Only because of the actual scale of those scenes in the show, it’s more like two leaves of coriander, which you’d probably eat without noticing they were there tbh.
Actually it would be really nice to have Season 4 with every Argyle scene, stoner hahaha scene and Robin scene cut out. And the Crash Bandcoot bat scenes, aaand the pointless floating Vecna scenes. And his narrative scenes.

Moby

Dick
Actually it would be really nice to have Season 4 with every Argyle scene, stoner hahaha scene and Robin scene cut out. And the Crash Bandcoot bat scenes, aaand the pointless floating Vecna scenes. And his narrative scenes.
So not just "dumbed down haha shit" that you were on about in your earlier posts and something that's barely there in the entire season.

Withnail

It's funny how some can gloss over the minor annoyances which are really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things whereas for others these become insurmountable obstacles to their enjoyment of the show. I'm glad I'm in the former camp. My brother is in the latter and can't watch a lot of stuff I enjoy for that reason.

Dan_F

I liked the start of the season and started to hate it around episode 5. I only wanted to finish the season because I've seen all previous seasons and there were only two episodes left. Another poster said it best, it's like watching United. I like the show so I was hoping it would get better as the season went by.

I don't finish seasons if I think it's crap after a few episodes. Did it with Money Heist, the currently running Ms Marvel, House of Cards in season 2 after that utterly stupid subway scene in episode 1.

GoT was another one where I liked the show so much I had to finish it in the hope that it would get better. It never did :(
I was the complete opposite. I thought the first episodes were awful. The dialogue was so cheesy and unfunny, cringeworthy even.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Not if it's like in just one corner that I can cut away and still eat the rest of the pizza.
Considering how much time the Russia and California crew storyline took during the season I'd say I would have to cut out over half the pizza.

Plus the parts I did enjoy at first, the Hawkins storyline, got worse by the third slice.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I like it, it's like the old 80's, 90's family films like The Flight The Navigator, The Goonies and The Labyrinth. A 'bit of everything' series, almost wholesome.

Dante

Average bang
Generally, I'd agree with you.

But Stranger Things is a little bit different because it's a cultural touchstone.

You can't really consider yourself to be 'taking part' in 2022 unless you watch the show and have an opinion on it. So in that respect, it's open for criticism from the people who feel like they need to be involved, even though they don't actually like it.

Sylar

It's funny how some can gloss over the minor annoyances which are really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things whereas for others these become insurmountable obstacles to their enjoyment of the show. I'm glad I'm in the former camp. My brother is in the latter and can't watch a lot of stuff I enjoy for that reason.
Yeah for sure
In the former too, and it certainly helps enjoyment

phelans shorts

Generally, I'd agree with you.

But Stranger Things is a little bit different because it's a cultural touchstone.

You can't really consider yourself to be 'taking part' in 2022 unless you watch the show and have an opinion on it. So in that respect, it's open for criticism from the people who feel like they need to be involved, even though they don't actually like it.
Wait, do people actually feel that way about shows? That’s absolutely mental to me

Withnail

Wait, do people actually feel that way about shows? That’s absolutely mental to me
I really don't see things that way at all but then I don't get into massive discussions about shows. I'll take recommendations from people like it's worth a watch or not but I don't want to hear their criticisms or theories as it colours my interpretation and enjoyment. The obvious example is if something is super hyped I'll probably be disappointed. It's most likely why I couldn't get into Breaking Bad. Two lads in work wouldn't shut up about how amazing it was for a few years before I eventually gave it a look.

Dante

Average bang
Running Up That Hill is #1 in the music charts in 8 countries around the world. And it's #1 in the worldwide music charts as well. That didn't happen by accident.

Stranger Things has been getting mentioned in casual conversations everywhere from Facebook to Instagram to Twitter to the office. Even Redcafe has random references to it in completely unrelated threads.

As much as it's possible to defined a year by its media, Stranger Things is a big piece of that for 2022. It'll be all over Halloween as well.

That's not to say that being oblivious to it will kill you. But a lot of things are going to go over your head if you're not in the know.

Every year or era has its own example. The Beatles, Michael Jackson, The Simpsons, Friends, The Avengers movie, etc. Some are bigger than others, of course. Other will be forgotten almost straight away (eg. Tiger King).

I think Netflix has been pretty good at it recent years. Squid Game was another one. Last year, we had even local restaurants selling those honey biscuit things and everything.

Roosney

I wouldn't call main characters turning goofy and useless or constant plot armour minor annoyances. You can gloss over anything but it doesn't take away the fact that it's shit. And that it can be called that.

lsd

The Oracle
It is clearly the worst season so far. There are still some great bits in it but overall there is too much time being spent on absolutely nothing of interest.

Fast forward all the stuff with Will, Jonathan and co and you will lose nothing for example.

You can also do the same for the whole Russian storyline as the only thing that matters and you know is going to happen is them coming back to Hawkins