Straylan and Kiwi politics

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How did you feel when they changed the advice?
When they opened it up to O50s we were a bit surprised so we booked in ASAP in case we moved to allowing only O60's like elsewhere. As then happened. I know the risk so I'm happy to take it no matter what. We need to get out of this shit show and vaccination is the way out.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There are however a few factors in NSW that haven't worked well enough this time around.

1) Delta is more infectious so has spread faster than the Northern Beaches outbreak.
2) NSW acted as if it wasn't Delta and didn't lock down hard enough or early enough partly because they were ideologically against lockdowns and presumably were also getting pressure from #scottyfrommarketing
3) compulsory vaccination for front line and other esssential workers hasn't occurred. An unvaccinated limo driver started this outbreak when he caught Delta from a fight crew he transported and then spread it all over the place.
4) what constitutes an essential service means anything can open with masks, distancing and QR code check ins to allow tracing apart from the food and drink sector that is take away only. This has resulted in 14000 close contacts from only a few hundred cases. 2000 alone from a single case at IKEA. We may have the best contact tracing in the world but I'm sure 14,000 cases is more than they can cope with.
5) location has a huge effect. This outbreak has reached SW Sydney where there is a far larger concentration of lower socio-economic groups and migrant ethnic groups. There is more vaccine reluctance and far more densly populated housing there. Compounded by very poor messaging targeted at these areas. Typically government tends to think everyone watches their press briefings and TV news so don't engage with local groups to get their messaging out there.

And all enabled by #scottyfrommarketing's total feck up of vaccine procurement and refusal to set up, or take responsibility for, dedicated quarantine sites. Hotels allowed Alpha to escape but Delta spreads in standard hotels far more easily.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...approach-to-covid?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Otherq
Reluctant authorities are the worst. You'll never reach everyone through any comms and infectiousness is just a fact (of increasing menace with each variant). But all that can be contained if the government is up to the task - that's just been so obvious from how things unfolded in Ontario, Quebec, and the Netherlands (places where I follow the news closely enough). Hope yours wise up, cause otherwise it'll be a rough couple of weeks or months...

That point about hospitalization is becoming really clear btw. We'll get there eventually! (Although I read that countries that get their supply largely through COVAX might not reach sufficient supply until 2023... And Pfizer's wish that people get a third shot (booster) in the fall won't help that supply issue.)

WPMUFC

Reluctant authorities are the worst. You'll never reach everyone through any comms and infectiousness is just a fact (of increasing menace with each variant). But all that can be contained if the government is up to the task - that's just been so obvious from how things unfolded in Ontario, Quebec, and the Netherlands (places where I follow the news closely enough). Hope yours wise up, cause otherwise it'll be a rough couple of weeks or months...

That point about hospitalization is becoming really clear btw. We'll get there eventually! (Although I read that countries that get their supply largely through COVAX might not reach sufficient supply until 2023... And Pfizer's wish that people get a third shot (booster) in the fall won't help that supply issue.)
Reluctant authorities are bad, but reluctant authorities for the sole purpose of furthering the conservative culture war is where this really has come from. Conservatives, fulled by a conservative controlled media have essentially turned AUS COVID response into "Labor are the fear-mongering lockdown and control everyone party. Conservatives are the sensible, save the economy, test and trace, FREEDUMB party"

The continual framing of this as culture war that conservatives must win is at the root of our entire state/federal shambolic response.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Reluctant authorities are bad, but reluctant authorities for the sole purpose of furthering the conservative culture war is where this really has come from. Conservatives, fulled by a conservative controlled media have essentially turned AUS COVID response into "Labor are the fear-mongering lockdown and control everyone party. Conservatives are the sensible, save the economy, test and trace, FREEDUMB party"

The continual framing of this as culture war that conservatives must win is at the root of our entire state/federal shambolic response.
The whole save the economy thing is a strange one. The people are the economy, protect them first and the economy will come out of things just fine.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Yeah, that's horrible. I said in the thread about the crazies in the US that the politicization of health and medicine is mindboggling madness to me, and I've been sad to find out in this thread that you're experiencing this in Australia as well. I mean, the push and pull between the pros and cons of a lockdown is seen everywhere of course - but this full-on politicization of the issue is something else.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
77 cases today with about half not isolating. Now seems to be mainly spreading in big family and friend groups in SW Sydney. So numbers will go higher before they come down again.

A 90 year old unvaccinated woman died last night. The first covid related death in quite some time.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Damn that's low! Have doses really been that hard to acquire for the government or is this all incompetence?
Can't forget good old corruption as well.

CSL (who are under licence to produce AZ vaccine) has a LIberal MP as a shareholder, ex Liberal Staffers on their board and ex Liberal Treasuer Peter Costllo made sure our future fund is heavily invested into it

https://www.futurefund.gov.au/-/med...hash=AA01CDFBEAA52A0D939137EDC9FA55B1969BA317

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Sydney are in the same position and made the same mistakes as Dan Andrews and Victoria made last year.

But Dan made the call to lockdown and was one of the longest and harshest in the world but it worked.

WPMUFC

77 cases today with about half not isolating. Now seems to be mainly spreading in big family and friend groups in SW Sydney. So numbers will go higher before they come down again.

A 90 year old unvaccinated woman died last night. The first covid related death in quite some time.
Gold-standard Gladys already confirming tomorrows numbers will be well over 100.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Gold-standard Gladys already confirming tomorrows numbers will be well over 100.
But hopefully mainly in know clusters or family groups.

I just moved my 2nd AZ shot up by 3 weeks. Would have gone today but first appointment was a week on Tuesday.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I hope #scottyfrommarketing et al. get what they deserve at the next election.

Last edited:

RK

But hopefully mainly in know clusters or family groups.

I just moved my 2nd AZ shot up by 3 weeks. Would have gone today but first appointment was a week on Tuesday.
So 9 weeks in total? I'd be happy with that.
I'm not so sure about the new 6-week recommendation but it seems to be coming from the experts. I'll take it on board and see where we're at in a month.
Reassures me that it was the right idea to get AZ asap.
Definitely wiped me out between hours 12-36 though. Didn't feel bad just exhausted. Fine after 48.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So 9 weeks in total? I'd be happy with that.
I'm not so sure about the new 6-week recommendation but it seems to be coming from the experts. I'll take it on board and see where we're at in a month.
Reassures me that it was the right idea to get AZ asap.
Definitely wiped me out between hours 12-36 though. Didn't feel bad just exhausted. Fine after 48.
Yes - about 9 weeks between. While it does seem that you get better protection with a longer gap between shots you still get a huge improvement after your second shot no matter what and now that I'm far more likely to get covid I think it is a good choice to go early. Especially as I think we are likely to get a Modetna booster next year that has been tweaked for the variants of concern.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@Wibble I see your mate Scotty is trending again. Sounds like you had difficulty getting more Pfizer and Kevin Rudd took it upon himself to call the head of Pfizer directly and bring forward the delivery of a load of doses.

SFM was asked why he hadn’t made that call himself and responded that he had. Pfizer then disputed that claim and said they hadn’t heard from him. Cue Twitter posting all the things that SFM had done in the last few months while he’s not been making that call.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Wibble I see your mate Scotty is trending again. Sounds like you had difficulty getting more Pfizer and Kevin Rudd took it upon himself to call the head of Pfizer directly and bring forward the delivery of a load of doses.

SFM was asked why he hadn’t made that call himself and responded that he had. Pfizer then disputed that claim and said they hadn’t heard from him. Cue Twitter posting all the things that SFM had done in the last few months while he’s not been making that call.
I believe Pfizer didn't deny the call but just said he didn't have any role in contractual obligations. Which is true no matter what. It doesn't mean his call did or didn't speed up delivery as the contract remains unchanged. Rudd's letter to the PM.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20987041/sm_bourla.pdf

What #scottyfrommarkleting has mainly done is hide as he usually does when his incompetence is noticed or something needs doing. Bushfires burn most of a whole state? Go on holiday to Hawaii. Lockdowns at hope? go to the ub for a nice lunch mask free when in the UK. Quarantine and vaccine rollout fecked due to your inaction. Solution? Become virtually invisible.

I'd say that #scottyfrommarketing didn't call them and they are doing the half bullshit approach that they use all the time. What they are saying is the he has had lost of conversations with them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07...-pfizer-vaccine-supply-senior-execs/100284902

Apparently we also pissed them off from day 1 with a "rude, dismissive and penny pinching" approach. Which sounds about right for this government. our PM once was asked if anything could have been done to prevent the death by suicide of someone held in immigration detention for overstaying their visa. His response was "Yes. They could have not overstayed their visa". Of course this involve a brown person and not a white au-pair on a tourist visa trying to work illegally but still being allowed in after the personal intervention of Peter Dutton allegedly after a request from a former police colleague.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09...peter-dutton-played-in-au-pair-visas/10282822

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Apparently we and possibly #scottyfrommarketing himself were only talking to Pfizer Australia and Rudd when to the global president of Pfizer.

Laura Tingle who authored the Rudd-Pfizer story said:
Greg Hunt said that they chuckled and that they were taking bets about how long it would be before Kevin Rudd leaked that he’d been involved in these conversations as a way of making himself look like the hero in all of this and that in fact ... all these bring forwards of the vaccine were in train before Kevin Rudd had even spoken to the global chairman of Pfizer. And they are relying on a statement from Pfizer which says no third parties were involved in the contractual agreements on the vaccine which, of course, would be fairly extraordinary to have a private citizen involved in their multibillion-dollar contract.

Frankly, the question that comes out of it is, why was it sort of OK for the former prime minister to ring up Pfizer globally but apparently our prime minister and health minister thought it was fine to just deal with the Australian branch at a time when we know some of the world leaders including the former Israeli prime minister Netanyahu personally negotiated with Pfizer and a number of other companies to make sure that his country had enough vaccines.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Former Liberal PM Malcom Turnbull just absolutely gave it to #scottyfrommarketing and that useless excuse for a health minister, Greg Hunt, on this evening's The Project. Brutal but hilarious.

WPMUFC

explanation from the author
It's a trendline. It's only predictive if conditions remain the same, and hopefully we'll see the growth rate slow as the tightened lockdown kicks in, such that actual cases grow more slowly.

If things remain the same though, yes, exponential growth at a rate comparable to what you see already is what you expect epidemics to do in their early stages. And once lockdown does kick in, I'm pretty concerned the trend will still be in exponential growth.
The trendline has 10,000 cases per day just as August hits.

WPMUFC

I’d be surprised if it gets that bad, but western Sydney needs to lock down big time.

Gold Standard has fecked it. This lockdown came a week too late and now we’re paying the price.
Yeah this is probably the 'let it rip" scenario as trend lines are not predictive. However I've watched to ABC reports last night and this morning and whilst not 10,000 per day, it's looking like the potential for 1000 per day and a lockdown till Xmas is not outside the realm of possibility

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah this is probably the 'let it rip" scenario as trend lines are not predictive. However I've watched to ABC reports last night and this morning and whilst not 10,000 per day, it's looking like the potential for 1000 per day and a lockdown till Xmas is not outside the realm of possibility

Hopefully the cases will peak/flatten very soon. If the outbreak is restricted to NSW I wonder if most vaccine supply will be directed here? Obvioulsy a risk as outbreaks can occur elsewhere but it might help reduce the severity of the outbreak. Of course those useless cnuts don't have enough Pfizer.

And the AZ advice has changed yet again. While for a good reason it still looks chaotic to most. Anyone who qualifies, then over 50's, then over 60's and now over 40's plus anyone who wants to take the small risk after talking to their doctor.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’d be surprised if it gets that bad, but western Sydney needs to lock down big time.

Gold Standard has fecked it. This lockdown came a week too late and now we’re paying the price.
Gold Standard tracking is only gold standard until it is overwhelmed, as it is now to some degree.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
89 new cases in NSW today with 21 in the community at least partially. Better than expected/feared.

Sadly a second covid death for 2021.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
97 new cases mainly in SW Sydney, mainly family transmission but still some community transmission so I can see a more severe lockdown coming soon at least in some areas. Greater Sydney lockdown has been extended by anther 2 weeks anyway.

And Delta does seem to affect the young more often than Alpha. NSW currently has 71 Covid patients admitted to hospital and there are 20 people in ICU, four of whom are ventilated. Of the 21 people in ICU, one is in their 20s, two are in their 30s, two in their 40s, five in their 50s, five in the 60s, three in 70s and two in 80s.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Cases back in Melbourne due to the Removalists lying and not being able to wear a bloody mask and a person who is meant to be in isolation being selfish

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Cases back in Melbourne due to the Removalists lying and not being able to wear a bloody mask and a person who is meant to be in isolation being selfish
Fingers crossed we can prevent an outbreak in Melbourne yet again.

WPMUFC

Who is Craig Kelly? Apparently he wants the help of Uttar Pradesh chief minster Yogi Adityanath's help in fighting covid. Yogi is the man who tried to cover up the 1000s of dead bodies on the river ganges and still says there's no community transmission of covid taking place.
https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavir...yogi-adityanath-help-covid-1827785-2021-07-14
Craig Kelly is a fecking dumb arsehole politician that essentially got kicked out of the conservative Australian political party for vaccination misinformation and promoting Trump's hydroxychloroquine bullshit. Kelly is now an independent member of parliament and basically exists to try and gather USA Facebook followers with his conspiracy theories.

feck Craig Kelly.