Straylan and Kiwi politics

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It looks worse and worse (and the news corp need to show pictures of the victim smiling and happy is also very disturbing).

https://www.news.com.au/national/po...t/news-story/82af353f178c9f6a9b271910aafa35e4
Also, a bit more info on the rapist would be appropriate. I don't mean that he should be tried in public by the news outlet, but this person is remaining particularly anonymous throughout all this, while it's apparently someone with the kind of clout that can make security guards ignore a couple of very basic and strict rules. Almost as if he's being protected more than anyone else here.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Also, a bit more info on the rapist would be appropriate. I don't mean that he should be tried in public by the news outlet, but this person is remaining particularly anonymous throughout all this, while it's apparently someone with the kind of clout that can make security guards ignore a couple of very basic and strict rules. Almost as if he's being protected more than anyone else here.
He was pushed out for "a security breech" but other than that nothing seems public. Allegedly they are still employed by the Liberal Party and it sounds like it is an "up and coming" Liberal - earmarked for parliament.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He was pushed out for "a security breech" but other than that nothing seems public. Allegedly they are still employed by the Liberal Party and it sounds like it is an "up and coming" Liberal - earmarked for parliament.
So, someone who's being well protected here. Cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
feck it would be justice if this underhanded shit lead to Scomo's down fall. Poor girl got raped and he's more concerned with himself.

If we had a competent opposition party, scomo would be on his arse at the last election and should be at this next one.
I though Bill Shorten did a pretty good job but I think the News Corp propaganda machine was just enough to defeat him. I fear #scottyfrommarketing is going to get the credit for the state Premier's good work during covid at the next election :(

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
If they really are trying to now smear the husband, then that for me makes it very clear they are siding with the potential rapist, and the other over up stuff much more likely.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Malcolm Turnbull (a former Liberal PM) was just on the ABC and said he found it inconceivable that the PM'S office didn't know.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If they really are trying to now smear the husband, then that for me makes it very clear they are siding with the potential rapist, and the other over up stuff much more likely.
Wasn't that clear all along? If you read the last few paragraphs of that Guardian article, it's very clear that they're protecting this individual from any exposure. They won't even say whether he was sacked.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if your beloved PM is going to try to 'solve' this by shifting all the blame to this minister Reynolds and her office, and then kick her out. They seem to be good at providing people with soft landings, so if something's set up for her, she might even be willing to take this one for the team.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wasn't that clear all along? If you read the last few paragraphs of that Guardian article, it's very clear that they're protecting this individual from any exposure. They won't even say whether he was sacked.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if your beloved PM is going to try to 'solve' this by shifting all the blame to this minister Reynolds and her office, and then kick her out. They seem to be good at providing people with soft landings, so if something's set up for her, she might even be willing to take this one for the team.
They always have a bus running in case they need to throw someone under it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
With the Facebook and Google debacle (which has its own thread) this is a terrible week for the government.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Getting worse and worse

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02...ictim-comes-forward-brittany-higgins/13174994

And more Liberal Party sexual dodginess

Liberal MP keeps head of staff despite numerous complaint against him by interns as young as 16 and inone case where the Police have had an AVO taken out. https://www.theguardian.com/austral...aviour-young-women?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
This is some top-class bullshit:
"We at all times, the ministers who had knowledge of this matter and those who were in a senior position, the staff that had knowledge of those matters in those offices, at all times sought to have this matter fully investigated by the police," Mr Morrison said on Saturday. "Now, that is not something the government can force, we cannot do that."
So who was stopping them from bringing the case to the police, like any individual could? Also, wasn't he supposed to have only just found out? (Or what does that first 'we' mean?)

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is some top-class bullshit:

So who was stopping them from bringing the case to the police, like any individual could? Also, wasn't he suppose to have only just found out? (Or what does that first 'we' mean?)
Political bullshit to try to protect #scottyfrommarketing

The AFP had to keep asking for assistance for weeks before the Libs cooperated. The crime scene had been steam cleaned long ago by then.

WPMUFC

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well things just got a bit weird and awkward. Senator Jacqui Lambie receiving a painting with her as Princess Leia and Clive "Jabba" Palmer as himself. The background is that she first entered parliament as a member of Palmer's party (now gone) but quit almost as soon as she was elected. She is odd in that she lurches between right wing (hates greenies and isn't keen on muslims) and left wing (supports workers rights) opinions at the drop of a hat. You never know what you are going to get but I guess at least she isn't all bad I guess. Clive Plamer however is an utter cnut on all counts.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well things just got a bit weird and awkward. Senator Jacqui Lambie receiving a painting with her as Princess Leia and Clive "Jabba" Palmer as himself. The background is that she first entered parliament as a member of Palmer's party (now gone) but quit almost as soon as she was elected. She is odd in that she lurches between right wing (hates greenies and isn't keen on muslims) and left wing (supports workers rights) opinions at the drop of a hat. You never know what you are going to get but I guess at least she isn't all bad I guess. Clive Plamer however is an utter cnut on all counts.

That’s quite an unattractive trio right there.

As an American who is tacitly following the sexual assault story, has the accused been named? He appears to be just a staffer, why hasn’t he been cut loose & left to fend for himself? Is he someone’s son or nephew? How does a staffer have such cover?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That’s quite an unattractive trio right there.

As an American who is tacitly following the sexual assault story, has the accused been named? He appears to be just a staffer, why hasn’t he been cut loose & left to fend for himself? Is he someone’s son or nephew? How does a staffer have such cover?
I was wondering about this so far. He has not been named in anything @Wibble linked so far. He said this about it a bit above:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was wondering about this so far. He has not been named in anything @Wibble linked so far. He said this about it a bit above:
One can be ‘up & coming,’ but politics is also about the here & now. I would assume that the LD hierarchy would be totally fine with culling an obvious malignancy in order to start amassing the news cycles needed to make this sordid affair become below the fold news &, ultimately, a distant memory. I could see Republicans here throwing their own blood under buses in order to move past such a story, a staffer with potential would be immediately crucified, especially if it was a staffer affiliated with a House Repub who has a primary or a general in a year’s time from any date on the calendar. This has piqued my interest about this story to no end.

When is the next nationwide election in Oz?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The next election could be brought forward to August at the earliest as the last one was in 2019.

The conventional wisdom is that the Libs will go early as #scottyfrommarketing has somehow got a popularity boost largely by abdicating all responsibility to covid to the states. His response to the sexual scandle and his contempt for PM's question time alone (turns his back on the opposition and in 200 cases refused to answer and thrown the question to a minister to prevaricate for him) should have him in a spiral but .....

That said the Libs and Labor are 50/50 at the polls but then again Labor were well ahead in the polls at the last election but still lost.

It looks like, with the possible exception of the chaotic South Australian (now minority) Liberal government, state governments have all been boosted by their general good handling of the pandemic. WA is having an election very soon and the Libs look like being utterly decimated. Their campaign to open the borders was about as attractive to the voters as a steaming turd sandwich on offer for $300 each. They may have so few seats that they won't even be the official opposition and the leader of the party will be gone as he has a very small margin.

There are now 4 accusations against the former staffer ranging from serious sexual assault/rape to inappropriate touching. At least one of the victims was just out of school. But don't worry as #scottyfrommarketing has scolded his staff for not telling him about it earlier. My prediction is that if things get bad enough he will sack someone in his office and throw a (usually female) minister under the bus as per usual.

Details of the accused are impossible to find which makes me think there must be an injunction out. He now seems to be working for a lobbying firm and the suspicion is that he was a Lib high flier of some sort and they have arranged a cushy job for him but there is no evidence for that at the moment. The government seem to be in full cover up mode with an inquiry occurring but they are refusing to say if they will release the findings.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wow. This could be betting very close to #scorryfrommarketing and Senator Michaela Cash were holding a press conference. Apparently the defense minister Linda Reynolds alerted Senator Michaela Cash of the attack in her office via her Chief of Staff. The Senator then met the victim, hugged her and told her she would look after her. She has since denied that she knew it was a sexual assault. When a journo asked what was meant by that, if not referring to the sexual assault, Scomo turned tail and departed the press conference claiming that he had to make a phone call. Bizarre even for him.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...08614ccf103b0f#block-60345f608f08614ccf103b0f

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What’s the Joe & Mary Q. Public view on this? What do the common folk think?
Hard to say. Outrage in general but I doubt much of this will stick to #scottyfrommarketing unless there is a smoking gun that he has lied about when he knew and if he was involved in a coverup.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Things getting worse for #scottyfrommarketing with it being revealed that a serving cabinet minister was accused of raping a 16 year old girl in the late 80's. The victim went to the police at the beginning of last year but killed herself in mid 2020.

We don't know who is being accused but I think I can guess from what info is out there and it won't help the governments attempts to make this go away if I'm right.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Things getting worse for #scottyfrommarketing with it being revealed that a serving cabinet minister was accused of raping a 16 year old girl in the late 80's. The victim went to the police at the beginning of last year but killed herself in mid 2020.

We don't know who is being accused but I think I can guess from what info is out there and it won't help the governments attempts to make this go away if I'm right.
Wonder if this is the Liberal Party of Australia's "Me Too" movement.

Not surprising, the Liberal Party in itself, especially those who attended prestigious Universities and GPS Schools is full of self entitled, womanizing pieces of shit. It is toxic to the bone.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wonder if this is the Liberal Party of Australia's "Me Too" movement.
If it is who I think it is which I'm only really basing on location - so a guess - although it could be especially as that particular minister seems to be being asked lots of questions about it. Wouldn't surprise me if it gets suppressed now that the victim is dead.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't think #scottyfrommarketing is going to be able to avoid doing something about this. I think you can guess who it is if you are concentrating but if he gets named in parliament it will get interesting. Hopefully the government will for once do the right thing and stand the minister down while this is investigated. If he is cleared then he can resume but as it stands the whole cabinet is tainted by the rape accusation so i'd bet many of them are less than happy about the inaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...esnt-rule-out-naming-accused-mp-in-parliament

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think #scottyfrommarketing is going to be able to avoid doing something about this. I think you can guess who it is if you are concentrating but if he gets named in parliament it will get interesting. Hopefully the government will for once do the right thing and stand the minister down while this is investigated. If he is cleared then he can resume but as it stands the whole cabinet is tainted by the rape accusation so i'd bet many of them are less than happy about the inaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...esnt-rule-out-naming-accused-mp-in-parliament
How many people do you think will end up under the bus? Not just for this individual case, I mean for the entire cluster of similar affairs going on now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How many people do you think will end up under the bus? Not just for this individual case, I mean for the entire cluster of similar affairs going on now.
Really hard to tell. Might be a few. #scottyfrommarketing won't go down for this or accept any responsibility so I think I can hear multiple buses revving.

The minister who has been accused of a 1988 rape where his accusor is now dead is relying on the "its a matter for the police" full well knowing that the criminal case died with the suicide of his accusor. They are trying to completely avoid the fact that this is a very serious integrity issue that is currently a cloud hanging over all male members of the cabinet as we don't know who it is (even though I think I can guess). The correct course of action is to stand the minister down, hold an independent inquiry, let that inquiry dictate his fate either way and clear the rest of the cabinet.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tigation-of-historical-claim-against-minister

A number of other Ministers must have real questions about their future die to the handling and de facto cover up of the Brittany Higgins rape case. At the very very least their conduct shows such seriously flawed judgement that they really should resign. A few others including Peter Dutton (who dismissed the rape as a "he said, she said" as you would epoect from him) and didn't inform the PM until the press were involved should quit for this reason and many others including rorting grants for political gain (pork barreling) but won't as he has no conscience. If things get bad the PM will sack a few of his office staff for not telling him.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
#scottyfrommarketing special. Call a press conference only 20 mins after releasing a huge and damming Royal Commission report so that journalists wouldn't have time to read exactly how bad it was (widespread sexual and physical abuse including drugging residents combines with crap regulation and massive under-funding). When questioned he said it was too hard to fix quickly (how many more terms does he need?) and then got pouty, said he and the cabinet would decide what to do when reminded that his own department of health had advised the commission what to do and then stropped out (again).

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ed-care-royal-commissions-key-recommendations

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
#scottyfrommarketing special. Call a press conference only 20 mins after releasing a huge and damming Royal Commission report so that journalists wouldn't have time to read exactly how bad it was (widespread sexual and physical abuse including drugging residents combines with crap regulation and massive under-funding). When questioned he said it was too hard to fix quickly (how many more terms does he need?) and then got pouty, said he and the cabinet would decide what to do when reminded that his own department of health had advised the commission what to do and then stropped out (again).

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ed-care-royal-commissions-key-recommendations
What a total shitshow. In total, it sounds to me like the kind of government that has been in power too long and feels it's above anything - although it hasn't actually been that long for Scotty. I hope the electorate is taking notice at least. When are you having elections again?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What a total shitshow. In total, it sounds to me like the kind of government that has been in power too long and feels it's above anything - although it hasn't actually been that long for Scotty. I hope the electorate is taking notice at least. When are you having elections again?
Any time from August onwards. I'd have bet he would go early until this arose but now there is serious public dissatisfaction with the government's response (2/3rds disapprove) but we will have to see how #scottyfrommarketing's personal popularity goes. If he takes a hit in the polls I guess he will delay.