Striker options?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Im sure they can find a way around that, maybe City could buy him then loan him back for a year.
They would need to convince the player to agree to that. If he wants to go somewhere else there is nothing they could do about it.

Teja

My instinct is we'll make a Weghorst / Arnautovic type signing and not spend much money here.

Priority positions are 2 CBs, 1 LB and 1 DM and that's just replacing players that are going to leave (Varane, Evans, Casemiro) without significant new additions.

If Sancho / Eriksen leave that's two more to replace.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
My instinct is we'll make a Weghorst / Arnautovic type signing and not spend much money here.

Priority positions are 2 CBs, 1 LB and 1 DM and that's just replacing players that are going to leave (Varane, Evans, Casemiro) without significant new additions.

If Sancho / Eriksen leave that's two more to replace.
Yup I think for once, finally this stupid policy of free transfer / loan lotto would be the way to go. Rasmus is potentially very good but he needs loads of games, to make mistakes and to be rotated when it’s not going so well. Someone over 30 who can get 10 goals and is cheapish for one season or two tops. Wheatley as 3rd choice next year. If Rasmus or Wheatley isn’t banging them in by then you buy another top young striker and have them fight it out. These late 20s signings on big money are a waste of time. It’s like football scouting for dummies

sideshowbob

Ivan Toney is the obvious one for me. Good hold up play, strength, knows the league and in his peak years, ready for that next step up i believe.

Looks like he has that confidence borderline arrogance that you need to be a United number 9 and could rotate well with Hojlund.

How much would Brentford want? I’m sure 40/50m could do it.

BorisManUtd

Looking at Fergie's last 11 seasons (02/03-12/13), in 8 of those 11 seasons we had a player scoring 20+ goals in a PL season (RVN 3 times, Ronaldo once, Rooney twice, Berbatov once and RvP once). Last 11 seasons (13/14-23/24) not even in one of those any of our players managed to score 20+ goals. Bruno (20/21) and Ronaldo (21/22) came closest with 18.

Would be refreshing to have player (presumably striker) scoring 20+ goals in a league season. With Martial leaving we'll be in for a striker no doubt so interesting to see who comes in.

aeh1991

We need 2 strikers now never mind 1. We needed one anyway but now with Martial leaving (he was barely fit anyway) we need 2.
I think one CF signing would be enough. I'd rather give Wheatley or Biancheri some playing time.

UTD_Since_1978

That geezer that knocked out Villa in Europe is 30 & the current flavour of the month.

UTD not having CL football or even European football at all next season is a big barrier to signing a top class striker this summer.

croadyman

Ivan Toney is the obvious one for me. Good hold up play, strength, knows the league and in his peak years, ready for that next step up i believe.

Looks like he has that confidence borderline arrogance that you need to be a United number 9 and could rotate well with Hojlund.

How much would Brentford want? I’m sure 40/50m could do it.
Can't see them ever selling him for that

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Tough position to search the market, isn't it? There's really no obvious talent at the moment. And those with already discovered potential will cost an arm and a leg without offering guarantees.
We should aim for a bit of market gamble in players that have been performing well for the last 2 or 3 seasons, like Dovbyk, Denkey or Amoura. They won't cost much and will provide good cover for Hojlund, because with all the money spent with him, we really can't afford to let him rot in the bench.

The White Pele

I think ideally we need someone that’s a proven goalscorer and is just passing through for a year or two while Hojlund is maturing.

Outside shout but Mauro Icardi? Scored 30 goals this season, 2 years left on his contract.

I know people are against those type of signings and may have questions over his character but I do feel like we need some experience in the attack, especially if Olise is the favoured choice for RW target.

croadyman

I think ideally we need someone that’s a proven goalscorer and is just passing through for a year or two while Hojlund is maturing.

Outside shout but Mauro Icardi? Scored 30 goals this season, 2 years left on his contract.

I know people are against those type of signings and may have questions over his character but I do feel like we need some experience in the attack, especially if Olise is the favoured choice for RW target.
Not against Icardi,however my top target would definitely be Toney but depends on the price

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not against Icardi,however my top target would definitely be Toney but depends on the price
IMO, Brentford will talk big all summer then relent and sell him for 40-50m if necessary. This is basically what happened with Raya. If United want Toney and Toney wants United, it will be just a waiting game. They aren't a club that can afford to lose big players for free and they almost certainly already have a plan to replace Toney in the works.

croadyman

IMO, Brentford will talk big all summer then relent and sell him for 40-50m if necessary. This is basically what happened with Raya. If United want Toney and Toney wants United, it will be just a waiting game. They aren't a club that can afford to lose big players for free and they almost certainly already have a plan to replace Toney in the works.
He also only has a year left on his contract

BorisManUtd

Same for me. Toney is 28, Hojlund 21 so ideally over next few years Toney should be on top of his game while Hojlund develops more. Though looking at this season Toney scored 4 goals in 16 games. Obviously coming back after suspension but that's like 1 goal every 4 games. Should be better next season?

SAF is the GOAT

In any case, we need a striker who can share the load with Hojlund, and also be able to let him enter more smoothly and take the pressure off him to learn and develop

It would not make sense to bring in another young striker, we need a more stable striker for the next year, two years so that hopefully during this time Hojlund will be better and we will find a younger replacement for him or we will again bring in an established and better striker to replace Tony.

croadyman

Same for me. Toney is 28, Hojlund 21 so ideally over next few years Toney should be on top of his game while Hojlund develops more. Though looking at this season Toney scored 4 goals in 16 games. Obviously coming back after suspension but that's like 1 goal every 4 games. Should be better next season?
Yeah confident he will back scoring regularly next season but where that's gonna be is anyone's guess. Arsenal probably front runners as could stay in London and can offer Champions League football.

Andersons Dietician

Wasn’t it just before January there were reports of 100mil and him wanting to be a top earner so 300k a week? Year left on his contract does sound good but we did just pay Chelsea 60 mil for someone in the same contract situation, so who knows what the market value is for a top striker with a year left on his contract.

I do like Toney however just feels like long term it would be better to get Sesko now and just let he and Rasmus compete. We won’t be in any position to challenge next year and even top 4 will probably be a struggle Toney or not.

Just think we should recruit with the idea that we aren’t going to fix United in one window and better to plan age profile so that the players brought in now are peaking when the other areas within the squad are also fixed.

Probably be better to Buy Sesko then bring in someone on a free or loan who is a more experienced striker.

pagar

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah confident he will back scoring regularly next season but where that's gonna be is anyone's guess. Arsenal probably front runners as could stay in London and can offer Champions League football.
Because Havertz came good in the second half I think Toney dropped pretty low on Arsenal's wishlist since we don't need somebody to come in and star right away.

I'd say Isak is #1 on our wishlist, but is probably unobtainable. It seems Sesko and Zirkzee are the top realistic targets, probably in that order, with Gyokeres maybe next. Toney would presumably be after that.

aeh1991

Sesko has scored 11 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 games. I'd personally get him over Toney.

JE-365

If Brentford could get £40m for David Raya a goalkeeper, I think Brentford will at least demands minimum £50m or £55m for their best player / striker. It’s likely that they will not accept a deal that less than £50m for Toney.

I will be careful to pay £50m or plus for 28 years old striker who only had 1 season scoring 15+ league goals in the top tier league. If INEOS thinks £50m is worthy to spend on 28 years old striker then go for it. But the most important thing in my opinion is the wages. We need to stop giving players high wages. Will Toney accept £120k per week max?

Ignoring the price fees, wages and his age, Toney is a quality striker who can hold the ball, bring others into play, win headers, and physically always give trouble to defenders whether it’s through his strength going toe to toe with defenders or through his aggression or high intensity.

croadyman

Sesko has scored 11 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 games. I'd personally get him over Toney.
Just feel Toney is made to play for Utd, still think there is a chance that Sesko could too but feel Rasmus needs to learn from someone more experienced right now.

thefrenchy

Ok Toney is Pl proven but the price will be high and we don’t know if Ineos are going to put money on him.
In my opinion Serhou Guirassy is the best choise for the price and I think it would be a good partnership with Hojlund.
But the problem is that Stuttgart is going to play Champions league next year…
For me what is missing in MU attack is a good duo with 2 striker who don’t have the same type of playing.

gajender

Just feel Toney is made to play for Utd, still think there is a chance that Sesko could too but feel Rasmus needs to learn from someone more experienced right now.
What makes you think so , take away penalties from his record his numbers in PL don't scream elite goalscorer either unless he is available on cut price deal on reasonable wages we should steer clear .

croadyman

If Brentford could get £40m for David Raya a goalkeeper, I think Brentford will at least demands minimum £50m or £55m for their best player / striker. It’s likely that they will not accept a deal that less than £50m for Toney.

I will be careful to pay £50m or plus for 28 years old striker who only had 1 season scoring 15+ league goals in the top tier league. If INEOS thinks £50m is worthy to spend on 28 years old striker then go for it. But the most important thing in my opinion is the wages. We need to stop giving players high wages. Will Toney accept £120k per week max?

Ignoring the price fees, wages and his age, Toney is a quality striker who can hold the ball, bring others into play, win headers, and physically always give trouble to defenders whether it’s through his strength going toe to toe with defenders or through his aggression or high intensity.
Yeah the wage demands is the key thing

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
I don’t want us spending any significant fee on any player over the age of 27.

We through £50m for Toney for example and while a good player it then means a significant wage and transfer fee limits our ability to improve across several positions.

I think you can spend a similar fee on Šeško but significantly less wages and have a pacey, strong forward used to transition football.

We need to be a lot more clever with our money going forward.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In my opinion Serhou Guirassy is the best choise for the price and I think it would be a good partnership with Hojlund.
But the problem is that Stuttgart is going to play Champions league next year…
Agree with you, but the problem is that even last summer when they barely stayed in the league he talked about how happy he was to be a key part of that team and that he declined financially better offers to stay there. It would likely need a huge package to convince him leaving the chance behind to lead the line for Stuttgart in the CL.

Von Mistelroum

Naming all these strikers won't really matter when they get one chance per game due to our complete lack of intelligence on the wings.

An idea might be to sign a player who can play at left wing as well as up front. That way, when he's not deputising for Hojlund, he can replace the players who can't seem to put in a cross or pass to save their lives.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Isak is the one who got away. Summer when we spent 100 mil on right winger instead going for him.

croadyman

I don’t want us spending any significant fee on any player over the age of 27.

We through £50m for Toney for example and while a good player it then means a significant wage and transfer fee limits our ability to improve across several positions.

I think you can spend a similar fee on Šeško but significantly less wages and have a pacey, strong forward used to transition football.

We need to be a lot more clever with our money going forward.
I just feel we need someone experienced for Rasmus to learn from which is why I would prefer to sign Toney over Sesko. Different situation if we didn't already have a young prospect.

aeh1991

I just feel we need someone experienced for Rasmus to learn from which is why I would prefer to sign Toney over Sesko. Different situation if we didn't already have a young prospect.
Toney doesn't give off the vibes of a wise, reflected, experienced striker from which young strikers could learn so much from (and CV-wise he ain't a Ibra or RVP either). Also a gambling addict, so not really suited to become a role model for younger players imo. Hojlund is not 18. He needs to learn it by himself with the attacking coach. The only reason I'd sign Toney was his goal threat but since his return he seems to have lost it and depending on the asking fee he could become a risk. That's why I'd prefer a young CF like Sesko, who could motivate and push Hojlund and vice versa. They could learn from each other too.

Edit: Toney has scored 25 non-penalty goals in 3 seasons btw.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Alexander Sørloth has a release clause just below £40 million apparently - not my first choice but he offers something we lack, and he is a lot better than Ivan Toney (and cheaper). 1 goal pr 2 games in his last 2 seasons in La Liga is really good.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Alexander Sørloth has a release clause just below £40 million apparently - not my first choice but he offers something we lack, and he is a lot better than Ivan Toney (and cheaper). 1 goal pr 2 games in his last 2 seasons in La Liga is really good.
That's a very good shout. I think he'd feel like there is unfinished business in the prem too.

Infra-red

Guirassy is reportedly available for a £15m release clause. 2nd highest goal scorer in Europe this season, with 28 Bundesliga goals. We'd be mad not to try for him. Save a little budget for the new midfield we need to purchase.