Striker options?

Infra-red

Alexander Sørloth has a release clause just below £40 million apparently - not my first choice but he offers something we lack, and he is a lot better than Ivan Toney (and cheaper). 1 goal pr 2 games in his last 2 seasons in La Liga is really good.
Also not a bad option. If nothing else, he is able to head the ball, which would be a welcome change from the entire United squad (Maguire aside).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Guirassy is reportedly available for a £15m release clause. 2nd highest goal scorer in Europe this season, with 28 Bundesliga goals. We'd be mad not to try for him. Save a little budget for the new midfield we need to purchase.
Rumours suggest that Dortmund is sniffing around him. As traditional between these two clubs United can then just buy him in a year for 80m or something like that.

Infra-red

Rumours suggest that Dortmund is sniffing around him. As traditional between these two clubs United can then just buy him in a year for 80m or something like that.
Indeed. I'm already excited about United paying £105m for Maatsen in 2026.

lysglimt

Scout
Also not a bad option. If nothing else, he is able to head the ball, which would be a welcome change from the entire United squad (Maguire aside).
He is actually an under-rated player. He is quicker on the ground than he appears because of his size

aeh1991

I remember Sorloth from his Leipzig days and he was one of the worst strikers I have seen playing. But interesting to see that he did well in Spain. Still a risky move for me considering my memories.

tomaldinho1

Hojlund 1st choice.
Guirassy is worth the gamble for £15m to be 2nd choice/compete with Hojlund.
Get Adams on a free as 3rd choice. Grafter, presses all day, can play wide if needed and all round decent, not elite, player on lower salary.
Aslo bear in mind we will never sell Rashford so he'll be in this group as well.

Priorities are CB, LB and DM/CM

croadyman

Hojlund 1st choice.
Guirassy is worth the gamble for £15m to be 2nd choice/compete with Hojlund.
Get Adams on a free as 3rd choice. Grafter, presses all day, can play wide if needed and all round decent, not elite, player on lower salary.
Aslo bear in mind we will never sell Rashford so he'll be in this group as well.

Priorities are CB, LB and DM/CM
He is an interesting choice

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Che Adams at Soton. Looks like he imminently about to sign Wolves but for depth/3rd choice he’d be a no brainier given work rate and versatility.
He's shit though?

Proven he's not good enough for Southampton at Premier League level.

tomaldinho1

He's shit though?

Proven he's not good enough for Southampton at Premier League level.
Solid and thoughtful analysis...

I quite clearly said depth/3rd choice but who do you suggest? Give me another option that is cheaper, a good age, versatile and at least somewhat proven in the PL.

aeh1991

I quite clearly said depth/3rd choice but who do you suggest? Give me another option that is cheaper, a good age, versatile and at least somewhat proven in the PL.
Do we really need 3 CFs? We have Hojlund and the 2nd CF (Guirassy/Sesko/Toney..), with Rashford, as well as Wheatley or another youth CF like Biancheri as emergency backups. That should be enough, no?

The-Mezzala

How much would Eddie Nketiah cost? Could be a good option to help Hojlund. Ex Arsenal strikers do well here. RVP, Cole…

tomaldinho1

Do we really need 3 CFs? We have Hojlund and the 2nd CF (Guirassy/Sesko/Toney..), with Rashford, as well as Wheatley or another youth CF like Biancheri as emergency backups. That should be enough, no?
I guess these days with the workload/calendar it's very hard to get by with only 2. We had Hojlund/Rashford/Martial with the latter obviously being unfit for business. If we had Hojlund/a good 2nd choice who was happy being backup/ Adams I think it would give us a lot of tactical options and a huge amount of workrate. The latter part can't be understated with how bad our team currently is.

It's not an important signing that will make or break a season but, like Tosin, maybe Ndidi is you risk the injuries as well, if you can pick up a free of good quality and who isn't going to be one of the big earners, it seems very sensible given how many outgoings we are likely to have. And look, the reality is, they might never play in meaningful games but you have that safety net as a backup. Ideally it would be an academy kid but we don't seem to have one for CF.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Whoever we end up going with, I hope they aren’t injury prone. Surely the curse must end?
I don't believe in curses, there has to be a reason and that has to be fixed.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Yeah I’m all for depth and I’ve no idea who to suggest but Che Adams is not the one. He’s not at all proven in the PL.

He’s an average Championship striker, not PL level and certainly not what we should be looking at to improve us.

tomaldinho1

Yeah I’m all for depth and I’ve no idea who to suggest but Che Adams is not the one. He’s not at all proven in the PL.

He’s an average Championship striker, not PL level and certainly not what we should be looking at to improve us.
I await your suggestion…

davidmichael

I await your suggestion…
If we’re going to get a third choice I’d rather Welbeck who has played the last few years in the PL, knows the club inside out, is an all round forward, experienced and shown at Brighton this season he can be very effective and is on a free in a few weeks.

tomaldinho1

If we’re going to get a third choice I’d rather Welbeck who has played the last few years in the PL, knows the club inside out, is an all round forward, experienced and shown at Brighton this season he can be very effective and is on a free in a few weeks.
33 year old, injury prone striker who has somehow underperformed Adams in a better team. ‘Knowing the club’ isn’t a reason to buy someone and he doesn’t have the work rate/fitness.

croadyman

Toney doesn't give off the vibes of a wise, reflected, experienced striker from which young strikers could learn so much from (and CV-wise he ain't a Ibra or RVP either). Also a gambling addict, so not really suited to become a role model for younger players imo. Hojlund is not 18. He needs to learn it by himself with the attacking coach. The only reason I'd sign Toney was his goal threat but since his return he seems to have lost it and depending on the asking fee he could become a risk. That's why I'd prefer a young CF like Sesko, who could motivate and push Hojlund and vice versa. They could learn from each other too.

Edit: Toney has scored 25 non-penalty goals in 3 seasons btw.
I just worry about two inexperienced ST, however you do make valid points about Toney. My counter is that just maybe he is ready for a new challenge, still think that guy who was MOTM at Etihad pre last world cup is in there.

aeh1991

I just worry about two inexperienced ST, however you do make valid points about Toney. My counter is that just maybe he is ready for a new challenge, still think that guy who was MOTM at Etihad pre last world cup is in there.
If we want a more experienced CF, I'd rather us going after Guirassy who is a proven goalgetter, has a much better form and is available for less than 15m.

Rojofiam

Him or Guirassy could be the perfect bench option behind Hojlund, both would cost peanuts as well, however Morata would have to give up a lot of his wages, as he's on around £220k/week at Atletico. We shouldn't offer him more than 120k/week if we want him

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

Him or Guirassy could be the perfect bench option behind Hojlund, both would cost peanuts as well, however Morata would have to give up a lot of his wages, as he's on around £220k/week at Atletico. We shouldn't offer him more than 120k/week if we want him

He won't.

This would be a terrible signing. This team lacks goals, it lacks players with killer instinct. The last thing we need is a striker that is known throughout his career for having those characteristics.

Rojofiam

He won't.

This would be a terrible signing. This team lacks goals, it lacks players with killer instinct. The last thing we need is a striker that is known throughout his career for having those characteristics.
It's not that deep. He would be the 2nd choice striker for a top 4 competing team. He's good enough to provide a real goal threat if Hojlund is injured / being rested. 1-3 year contract. Wouldn't be brought in to make a huge impact.

But I admit that Guirassy would be the better option as he's 4 years younger, and only makes around 35k/week at Stuttgart

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He won't.

Feels like, with his skill n style, he’d be a perfect foil for rashford and garnacho. And compliment hojlund also.

Big question is how motivated he’d be playing for us.

aeh1991

Dovbyk is the leading goalscorer of La Liga and has a low release clause. Should be on our list.

bosskeano

It's not that deep. He would be the 2nd choice striker for a top 4 competing team. He's good enough to provide a real goal threat if Hojlund is injured / being rested. 1-3 year contract. Wouldn't be brought in to make a huge impact.

But I admit that Guirassy would be the better option as he's 4 years younger, and only makes around 35k/week at Stuttgart
with only a £15m release clause, this is a no brainer as he also wouldn't expect to be first choice striker but would provide a solid back up that has shown he can score goals

Rojofiam

with only a £15m release clause, this is a no brainer as he also wouldn't expect to be first choice striker but would provide a solid back up that has shown he can score goals
I'm definitely taking him for £15m as it really is a no brainer like you said, but fans have to temper expectations if the deal happens. He outperformed his league xG by 7 goals and never had a season like the current one before in his career. If he has Cavani 20/21 seasons with us that will already be a great signing value-wise, and we have Hojlund already anyways to be the 30 goal per season striker in the squad.

NoPace

It makes little sense to spend 80M on a striker with Hojlund doing well in his debut season and massive gaps in defence and midfield, but Gyokeres' strength is really something. He's finding a way to impact the game while his team is down to 10 men here. I think someone is paying the big bucks for him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It makes little sense to spend 80M on a striker with Hojlund doing well in his debut season and massive gaps in defence and midfield, but Gyokeres' strength is really something. He's finding a way to impact the game while his team is down to 10 men here. I think someone is paying the big bucks for him.
€100m release clause … maybe he doesn’t go for that but I doubt it’s far off. Not many clubs have that cash

sourdough satellite

It's been awhile since he played for Juventus, hasn't it? Feels like he's overdue to go back there again.

Overhaul FC

I'm onboard for Morata to rotate with Hojlund. Wanted Morata that year when we signed Lukaku instead.

Morata suits our tactics well enough. Counter attacking and he's good in the air.