Striker options?

Toney seems to be the only option that fits our reported criteria of being English, PL proven and in the last year of contract.
They’ll probably quote us 100m for him.

Think it’s been mentioned in here before but dovbyk or Sorloth would be smart signings to compete with Rasmus. Both in their late 20s so plenty of experience and came in the top 2 goalscorers in La liga for teams that aren’t challenging for the league.

Thought it was close to a done deal?

I don't think that's the case at all. He has been linked to Arsenal, a few journalists have claimed that he is our top striker target, but nobody truly reliable has confirmed that level of interest much less that we are close to a deal.

I think its pretty likely that we're interested but that we see him as a player we want but don't absolutely need. This isn't Declan Rice or Gabriel Jesus, who were players viewed as so crucial to the project that we needed to get them over the line no matter what. So if we lost him to another club willing to go much further on wages/agents fees it would be disappointing but not a huge surprise.

I don't think that's the case at all. He has been linked to Arsenal, a few journalists have claimed that he is our top striker target, but nobody truly reliable has confirmed that level of interest much less that we are close to a deal.

I think its pretty likely that we're interested but that we see him as a player we want but don't absolutely need. This isn't Declan Rice or Gabriel Jesus, who were players viewed as so crucial to the project that we needed to get them over the line no matter what. So if we lost him to another club willing to go much further on wages/agents fees it would be disappointing but not a huge surprise.

Think it’s been mentioned in here before but dovbyk or Sorloth would be smart signings to compete with Rasmus. Both in their late 20s so plenty of experience and came in the top 2 goalscorers in La liga for teams that aren’t challenging for the league.
Isn't Dovbyk like 24 or something? He'd definitely be a good option.

Also Sorloth wasn't good in EPL and Bundesliga, I'm a bit sceptical about him despite having a great season.

Isn't Dovbyk like 24 or something? He'd definitely be a good option.

Also Sorloth wasn't good in EPL and Bundesliga, I'm a bit sceptical about him despite having a great season.
Dovbyk 26 I think. Ye I forgot he had a spell in the prem. maybe he’s matured more though and become a better player

Normally I would think that fierce competition is good for the squad and that professional sports is a tough business so if Rasmus loses his place to someone experienced, then so be it. Its up to him to fight and earn it back. But..... I really like Rasmus for some reason and really want him to succeed here, so I worry about stunting his development!

Basically after some reflection my thoughts are determined by how much I like the player. If its Rasmus, then lets please be careful about his development and not signing someone that will hijack that. If its someone I don't necessarily like or think is very good, then I believe in cut-throat competition and no mercy given if someone loses their spot to a new signing.

To that striker end, I think Sesko is brilliant and could be a monster for Arsenal, but I also think he would ensure that Rasmus gets relegated to a backup role. Same thing for Rodrigo Muniz at Fulham. I think he is excellent and could certainly step in here and claim the starting spot as a number 9.

So maybe the swap deal of Greenwood for Joao Felix is the way to go. Joao Felix can play a Rashford-ish role of attacking wide player, with the ability to be a number 9 or false 9 if needed.

You don't not sign players in fear that they are better than what you have, competition is key.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip, but Ornstein is usually a good source.

I do believe Arsenal's interest is genuine, just like Mudryk last time, but I just won't say it is a done deal. Sesko has a release clause so any club that is willing to meet it can discuss terms with the player.

You don't not sign players in fear that they are better than what you have, competition is key.
I know that you're correct and that is the proper way to do things. I just worry about some of the players that I like and really want to succeed!

But it would be a terrible way to run a club, I agree.

Seems Guirassy for 15M release clause is a no brainer?
If he fails, we can just sell him for half the price
If he succeeds, he is easily a 50M player

Seems Guirassy for 15M release clause is a no brainer?
If he fails, we can just sell him for half the price
If he succeeds, he is easily a 50M player

Come on now, you're being too sensible.

You can tell that's not Ornstein. Everyone knows that Sesko has a buyout clause so of around 50m euro and so a club doesn't need to negotiate a deal with RBL unless they want to pay less than the buyout or in stages maybe!

Clause increased to 65m (£55m) because of incentives met. Unfortunately it seems Arsenal are being cheap and trying to get him cheaper, leaving the door open for others (Chelsea?).

Guirassy? Just had a great season and has a cheap release clause so surely worth the risk. He’s also 28 so the right age profile that can come straight into the team and can provide support for Højlund without stifling his development long term like a Sesko or Osimhen may do.

Morata is available on the cheap, and would be a good profile if we indeed believe in Hojlund longer term.

Guirassy? Just had a great season and has a cheap release clause so surely worth the risk. He’s also 28 so the right age profile that can come straight into the team and can provide support for Højlund without stifling his development long term like a Sesko or Osimhen may do.
Most likely going to Dortmund.

Lukaku loan?

scores goals and carries a threat

allowing us to use our budget on other areas this window
He can be a bit toxic in the dressing room to put it mildly, is it worth the risk?

Also he's simply incapable of playing neat possession based football.

Who is the striker out there that resembles RvN the most? I miss that guy, would kill for a striker half as good as him.

When do we play neat possession based football?
We're trying to build towards it though, do we not?

Lukaku us at best a 1 in 3 striker as of now that offers very little otherwise, can't see how there are no better options.

We're trying to build towards it though, do we not?

Lukaku us at best a 1 in 3 striker as of now that offers very little otherwise, can't see how there are no better options.
Well the better options loan wise last season was weghorst. If we are to buy then it’s going to cost 40m at least. Im suggesting loaning an experienced striker for a year whilst we focus on rebuilding midfield and defence. We aren’t going to rebuild in one summer so it’s about seeing where we can channel to the money towards best. We can then buy a top striker next summer

ps he played for Belgium so he’s capable of leading the line for United

pps don’t forget that ETH has tried to buy Brobbey from Ajax, an inferior forward and papers keep linking him to us.

also if we get Olise, lukaku could do what the lad at palace has done this year.

Last edited:
Morata is available on the cheap, and would be a good profile if we indeed believe in Hojlund longer term.

Might not be a popular pick, but I'd take Morata all day long. He's a good facilitator for wide forwards and he's very good at near post runs - which is where a lot of our failed crosses go.

Might not be a popular pick, but I'd take Morata all day long. He's a good facilitator for wide forwards and he's very good at near post runs - which is where a lot of our failed crosses go.
Always liked his arial ability

Lukaku loan?

scores goals and carries a threat

allowing us to use our budget on other areas this window
Definitely not. I'd sooner take Welbeck back as he's far less likely to fall out with the manager (and he's get a better first touch and close control).

Chiesa maybe I've always been impressed with his workrate and his finishing. Always think he looks older in appearance but he's only 26.

I quite like the idea of having the flexibility to switch between a proper number 9 (Højlund) and a false 9 type. For games where we may wish to pack the midfield, we could use Bruno as a false 9 (FA Cup final). Alternatively, we could try to sign a false 9. I've seen nothing of him other than YouTube videos, but Thalys, who we have been linked with, looks like that type of player.

In addition, a cheap experienced traditional striker who can back up Højlund would be very useful.

Definitely not. I'd sooner take Welbeck back as he's far less likely to fall out with the manager (and he's get a better first touch and close control).

Wellbeck is looking good and a lot healthier lately, but you don’t get all the finger pointing and pouting.