Striker options?

Woziak

Although amortised on the books I’m pretty sure release clause need to be paid in full. Therefore it messes up our cash at the bank for transfers (I might be wrong I’m not an accountant).

If we have £100m to play with before selling and buying after June. We might go in a different direction. Olise still requires the full release clause and a CB won’t be cheap. But the free market might free up some cash and hopefully an academy sale like Rashford.. I believe we will price Greenwood out of a move (conspiracy thinking).

My preference is the Sporting striker or Zirkzee.
Release clauses are now paid in 2 or 3 instalments but your right not 5 payments and a 50% chunk would be required up front plus agent fees.

DownRiver

Sesko’s comps are so underwhelming. This says a lot as normally player coms catfish how well the player actually is.

He scuffs shots, he is has a lanky/awkward playing style, is not powerful, and his decision making is very frustrating.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's interesting, had a quick look and that agent is working for no notable players except Sesko (all his other players have a market value below 1 million €, except two who are rated at 4 and 4.5m). So Sesko is the only player United could be interested in of that lot.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That's interesting, had a quick look and that agent is working for no notable players except Sesko (all his other players have a market value below 1 million €, except two who are rated at 4 and 4.5m). So Sesko is the only player United could be interested in of that lot.
And Arsenal to be fair. We held an interest with him at Domzale I believe (offered a fair chunk for him as a 16 year old if you believe the rumours), supposedly were trying for him when he left Salzburg but just got priced out, so I would imagine we're on good terms with him.

Von Mistelroum

Focus should be on at least one new winger if we're looking at attacking players. After that, we should be trying to find another striker who can compliment Hojlund. Ideally someone who can also play other forward positions so that we have options.

We can't just buy another striker and think we've sorted out our attack. Rashford, Garnacho, Antony are not currently good enough to be starters. Rashford is done, Antony is rubbish and Garnacho has a long way to go before he's good enough to be a top level winger, so could do with being rotated.

Our current striker rarely gets a shot because the wingers we have cannot find him due to a combination of their propensity for cutting in and shooting (badly), running directly into defenders, giving up and turning back, or failing to put in a decent cross more than once every few games.

BorisManUtd

Goals scored in league since Fergie retired:

13/14: 64
14:15: 62
15/16: 49
16/17: 54
17/18: 68
18/19: 65
19/20: 66
20/21: 73
21/22: 57
22/23: 58
23:24: 52 (with 2 games to go)

Not counting this season as it hasn't finished yet, we've averaged 61.6 goals in 10 season from 2013 to 2023. 2020/21 only season where we scored 70+ goals (9-0 win vs Southampton contributed significantly). We haven't scored 60+ goals in either of last 3 seasons.

A lot has been made of our defensive troubles and they are present but we've had some good defensive seasons over this last decade. Attack has been underwhelming and not good enough whole decade.

So a striker that'll score 20 goals a season is very much needed. I like Hojlund and he's shown us he can go on a goalscoring run (like he did in February) but he's probably still few seasons away from fulfilling his potential.

croadyman

Sesko’s comps are so underwhelming. This says a lot as normally player coms catfish how well the player actually is.

He scuffs shots, he is has a lanky/awkward playing style, is not powerful, and his decision making is very frustrating.
Yeah feel we need to bring in experienced ST,know many won't agree but still feel a Toney/Martinez would definitely help Hojlund

NoPace

Could be there because Arsenal are also interested, maybe plan B after Gyokeres.

Woziak

Not counting this season as it hasn't finished yet, we've averaged 61.6 goals in 10 season from 2013 to 2023. 2020/21 only season where we scored 70+ goals (9-0 win vs Southampton contributed significantly). We haven't scored 60+ goals in either of last 3 seasons.

A lot has been made of our defensive troubles and they are present but we've had some good defensive seasons over this last decade. Attack has been underwhelming and not good enough whole decade.

So a striker that'll score 20 goals a season is very much needed. I like Hojlund and he's shown us he can go on a goalscoring run (like he did in February) but he's probably still few seasons away from fulfilling his potential.
Excellent post and this is the truth.
Currently none of the United front three on form should be starting. If Rashford regains form he could be included. United front three should be three players at the top of their game that can win you the game in their own.

I’d like to see a complete overhaul in team set up with two full back options on either side, I’ll explain we buy Frimpong for the Right as an attacking overlapping full back plus Dalot can play both roles but suits the inverted full back role, We keep Shaw and go buy Miguel Gutierrez from Girona whose. More of a creator and we rotate these four not to burn them out, Full back or Wing Back are now the most important players in the squad they can create as much now as wingers and attacking midfield players and without Shaw this season we’ve had zero creativity.

I would like to see Us start the season with a fit and last chance Rashford, B Sesco or D Solanki and M Olise

The back up options would be Garnaucho whose proven his worth but still has a huge amount to learn plus his numbers with more games are not better than a totally out of form Rashford, Put Shaw with him and they’ll be good to go next season, the season after I’m not sure. The sight of Olise/Frimpong or Olise/Dalot will terrorise clubs next year in PL.

I see Ivan Toney at 28/29 whose been average at best since his return causing far too many issues, he’ll want £250k per week, want to be the main man and he’s played for Peterborough and Brentford, cone on. Solanki has the all round gane to be brilliant at United, he’ll be £55m which is probably now the same price as B Sesco, I genuinely think Sesco is light years ahead of Rasmus, his touch is similar to a player like Zlatan, I’m slightly biased as my wife is slovenian and I had the privilege of seeing him live last year a few times in Slovenia qualifying games, we go back 5 or 6 times a year and this kid is reverted throughout the Balkans, Serbia and Croatia wish they had him?

Why is he better than Rasmus, he’s technically miles better, touch, movement, hold up play and he’s a goal scorer, this kid development will be meteoric in the next 3 years, he has it all. His only weakness compared to Rasmus and that’s debatable is whether Rasmus is quicker.

I’d like to see our Front Three be Rashford, Solanke or Hojlund, M Olise
And backed with Garnaucho, Hojlund, Amad (who is far similar to Olise than any other player we have)

We need to sell Greenwod, Pellistri, Antony and make a decision on Sancho, Manager depending. Antony must be sold, he’s simply not good enough and the most annoying recruit we’ve had in last 7 or 8 years since Angel Di Maria.

If we lose Martial wages 250k per week, Lose Sancho (35m/300k), Greenwood (30m/75k) and Antony (25m/200k) F Pellistri (10m/25k)

The Club receives £100m and reduced wages by £600k per week or £30m per year saving on wages means Olise and Solanki/Sesco £110m. Plus wages of (£12-15m). Saves the club at least £10m per year in wages for a huge upgrade.

I’m sure with 6 options that I’ve mentioned and more balanced options scores 70-75 PL goals next season as the team improves overall as an attacking unit.

If we by some miracle achieved European football I’d add for £15m Guirassy as an elder statesman at 29 who play across the front three positions. We need at least two CF’s but I’d argue a team like ours needs 3.

Lu Tze

Perhaps we should go for Vitor Roque, now Barca have apparently decided to dump him. Seems a great prospect.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bro... Elanga this season have somewhat better stats than Arnautović.

We are really heading into absolute football nihilsm with these players.
He’s a scumbag so I get not wanting him, but he’s a far better player than given credit for and would have been better than some made out.

dedek_mraz

I wouldnt read too much in that picture, the agent was also present at our FA Cup win vs 'pool, then at our 4:3 loss at Stamford Bridge and he was also at the Arsenal:Chelsea game, so most likely scenario is that he is putting out feelers between interested parties.. but if you wanna read a bit into it, from all the insta posts of mentioned matches, the agent pinned the one from The Emirates .. it would also make most sense for Šeško to go to Arsenal, most stable team out of those and their manager will definetly be there next year. But my bet is he ends up at Chelsea

AndyMUFC

I'm on the Toney/Welbeck bandwagon. An experienced striker that can hold the ball up is exactly what we need as an alternative to Rasmus.

NoPace

top 2 in FBRef are Solanke and Morata which is pretty good for a 20 year old!

I actually can see the Morata thing a bit where you’re not sure he’ll finish enough but the size is impressive (Sesko even bigger) and you hope he’ll become a bit of a bully by his mid 20s.

Have to see more to really have a take, but I when I see him I do see a lot of potential.

AndyMUFC

How much would it take to get Toney?
He’s out of contract in a year, 50m maybe?

That’s the only thing really and is probably why we’d end up going for someone like Welbeck instead, which is another signing we’d get laughed at for making but we could do worse!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I would 100% for Serhou Guirassy as he is proven in a top league, won't cost ridiculous wages, will rotate with Hojlund and has more experience at multiple levels - Feels like an obvious choice

26 goals and 2 assists in 27 games for a team in Germany outside of Leverkusen & Munich

tomaldinho1

The sad part of this, in particular, is it's easier to score now as well. There are more goals, very few teams don't play out from the back to some degree and most teams will press high.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

I see the exact opposite. He is remarkably two footed for a striker, knows how to make a half yard in the box, and can also score with his head. This guy has a really impressive repertoire of striker skills to go along with the physical attributes.

Look at the first three goals scored with feet in this video:

-Left footed strike from outside the box to the near post.
-Left footed smash into the top far corner after making himself space in the box.
-Cool left footed finish to the far post in a breakaway situation.

And he's a right footed player!

Uncle Mainoo

McKenna & Southgate at Villa this week and we’ve been linked to Watkins. Our new potential managers have spoken.

Marvin look out

Kolo Muani may leave PSG. At least he should. He had one excellent season in Bundesliga but has been awful with PSG this season.

I personnally don't think he's good enough for United, I'm just throwing his name out there because he's a name and he might be available this summer.

Dortmund are reportedly very interested in him.

demetre

He’s la liga top scorer. Does he pass the eye test or is this most likely a purple patch?
He's very athletic and direct, but I don't think he is (or ever will be) good enough for a top team. But I also never thought he will be scoring so many goals in a top European league, so maybe I'm underrating the guy.

UTD_Since_1978

Strikers watching UTD this season & wondering where the service will come from if they joined UTD.

aeh1991

Between Dovbyk and Sesko I'd get the latter but the idea of getting the La Liga topscorer for 40m euros is really tempting (since reports say that Sesko's clause has risen).

Jeffthered

I was thinking about this recently. Who can we get, that top, if not, very, very good forward. And I have no idea. No CL, maybe not even Europa League.

I don't know. I just don't know. :confused:

JE-365

He's very athletic and direct, but I don't think he is (or ever will be) good enough for a top team. But I also never thought he will be scoring so many goals in a top European league, so maybe I'm underrating the guy.
He looks like a target man striker and the opposite of Hojlund. Hojlund relies more on his pace and would rather run to spaces plus not a good header but can score from long range shooting. While Dovbyk relies more on his physical attribute to hold the ball, likes to laying off passes, prefer to score goals in the box, plus very good in attacking header.

It’s hard to say whether €40m is a good short term investment on striker to compete with Hojlund. But Dovbyk offers something different. Ten hag used to had two options in his striker options at Ajax 18/19 whether using Huntelaar as a target man or using Tadic as false 9. If he fancies target man for different tactical option, then Dovbyk might be the guy.

In addition, we had Weghorst who has similar profile but far worse in attacking header and far worse in finishing, Weghorst hold up play and physical attribute seems to benefit Rashford. I don’t want making excuses about Rashford performance but may be having a target man who can hold the ball and strong physically will benefit our wingers especially Rashford to run into spaces.

Reactions: Jippy

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I very much doubt that any CFG club would sell a player us, more than likely he'll move to City once Haaland moves to Real Madrid.
A release clause means that they don't have a choice if United comes and pays that (and can convince the player of course).