Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That would be a joke if true.
I think it would be too mild myself - But it does reflect that Britain seem to be making a lot more of this than other nations. Apparently, it was only British media asking about it at his PC.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
A danish ref estimates it will be around six international games.
It will all depend on if FIFA can and will take his other incidents in domestic football into account.

In isolation that ban would be alright. But if FIFA take into account that this is his third time then I'd expect him to get something more severe.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He will miss the entire World Cup even if Uruguay fluke it past Colombia then. Good.

Rudie

Mentary
Some semblance of reality. Well spoken.

As I mentioned before, a Red Card and a 3 match ban for breaking someone's leg or otherwise injuring them so that they are either out of action for an extended period or it ends their careers and most people tend to mildly condemn it and then move quickly on.
People arguing that a bite isn't as bad as a leg break and that you get lesser for breaking legs are missing the point, if we switch it and Suarez had broken the legs of 3 different players then I think we'd all still agree that he was dangerous and shouldn't be allowed on the pitch ever again - likewise with the biting or if he decided to punch 3 different players in their faces. It's not the fact that he's bitten a player but that he's now done it 3 times...

Revan

Assumptionman
I think it would be too mild myself - But it does reflect that Britain seem to be making a lot more of this than other nations. Apparently, it was only British media asking about it at his PC.
Not sure about this. Bild has it in their front page (the entire front page, not only the sporting section). In fact in their cover they have 3 news for Suarez incident. Italians are mentioning it but the biggest news here are that they got eleminated and Abate + Prandelli resigned.

Revan

Assumptionman
How is six games nearly a year?
It is on international stage. I don't know if friendly games count or not, but if they don't then it is a year. National teams play around 8-10 games for year if I am not mistaken with some of those games being friendly games.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nonsense. I'm in Brazil and it's everywhere. There was a 20 minute feature on it on TV last night. How exactly have you concluded this anyway?

LoiusVanGaal

It is on international stage. I don't know if friendly games count or not, but if they don't then it is a year. National teams play around 8-10 games for year if I am not mistaken with some of those games being friendly games.
he should be banned form playing for his club for a year as well then, he shouldn't be on the pitch.

steeeb

This is in an international football tournament, not the leagues. A 2 heck make it 3-4 for international matches only if you want, ban would seem like fifa going lenient on him but it would also rule out the idea of the media witch hunt as well as placing the blame solely on Suarez, removing the victim mentality of it and effectively making it that his country get knocked out of the tournament by losing their best player. Banning someone so it affects the competition they're in is the priority, not some chance for a life lesson that would enable him to pander this victim mentality bullshit, stop the national outcry and firmly place the blame on his shoulders.
But if a player clearly retaliates by going two footed on a player nowhere near the ball clearly to break his legs and end his career. Should something like that carry over into the leagues?

I'm not comparing a bite to ending someones career by the way, but both pretty mental acts that shouldn't be allowed and punishment should apply globally regardless.

Harold_Giles

Fifa’s disciplinary code has the scope to suspend a player for a maximum of 24 matches – which, technically, can include club games but in practice tends to be only internationals.
Hopefully this will be the case, club games included.

Cina

Obviously I am but that has little relevance to the post. I have simply, and accurately, stated what the FA said in their concluding statement.

As far as this incident goes I have clearly condemned his actions (post #1054 or 1065 or something above) - I suggest you take a look.
Didn't say it had any relevance.

He is a racist though.

Djemba-Djemba

The reactions of his team-mates and manager to the bite might in some way explain why Suarez keeps doing shit like this. Everyone is rallying around him and calling him the victim. Even the press from his home-country have gone easy on him, and are instead trying to apportion blame on the English press. I think it says a lot about their society and the role football plays that they won't condemn such behaviour, and the reason? To keep their World Cup chances alive.

If you read the ESPN article about the Suarez head-butt in a youth game, the lengths his coaches etc.. went to to try and cover it up were incredible, just to avoid a suspension for Suarez in a crucial game the following week. There was no inquest as to why a 16 year-old kid might head-butt a referee or possible punishment to try to prevent Luis repeating this at a later, more important, moment in his career.

It appears as though he's had this cushion his whole life, with people around him trying to convince him that his actions are not bad, or even worthy or reproach. In that respect Liverpool was the perfect fit for him, as their fans have continued this life-long crusade to convince the world that Luis isn't a bad guy, but a mis-understood genius. It's absolute bollocks. He's just a cnut.
Great post.

Sarni

I don't see Suarez being banned in UEFA or domestic or COMNEBOL competition. They'll probably give him a 6 game suspended sentence and call it a day.
Suspended so he will be deemed free to play against Colombia?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Nonsense. I'm in Brazil and it's everywhere. There was a 20 minute feature on it on TV last night. How exactly have you concluded this anyway?
secondhand reports from last night and stuff like that Mirror report reporting how the Uruguayan media are attacking British media over this. Maybe I am wrong.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I wonder if they are going to complete their investigation before last 16 game. I'd be pissed if he ended up playing, scoring, having an opposition player sent off and knocking Colombia out
He will probably face Colombia and get banned just in time for Brazil. That would be the "perfect move" by FIFA.

antohan

O Globo (media empire in Brazil) ran a poll and 57% thought he shouldn't be suspended.

They hate Fred, they really hate his guts. I think it has something to do with the adoration Luis gets here in Brazil. And the fact he is the classic tale of poor kid becoming football star which they all hope for themselves/their kids.

That said, we do absolutely frown upon not trying more than the excesses of being far too competitive.

Cereal Killer

If banning him isn't working it makes no sense to hit him with another ban. He's been made an example of multiple times.
A more severe punishment usually gets the message through. I'd suggest a different kind of punishment, but I honestly can't think of a way that would hurt him more than not being able to play for a lengthy period of time.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
But if a player clearly retaliates by going two footed on a player nowhere near the ball clearly to break his legs and end his career. Should something like that carry over into the leagues?

I'm not comparing a bite to ending someones career by the way, but both pretty mental acts that shouldn't be allowed and punishment should apply globally regardless.
Yes I believe it should but thats a different case. When Suarez did exactly that he should have had the biggest ban of his career.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
secondhand reports from last night and stuff like that Mirror report reporting how the Uruguayan media are attacking British media over this. Maybe I am wrong.
Uruguay are probably only defensive towards English media because Suarez plays in England and has most of his criticism coming from there, but the issue itself is widely discussed everywhere. Portugal has no relation to Uruguay, Suarez or Liverpool, yet it is a big story in every newspaper's sport section, as well as widely discussed in social media.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
WTF! Caller to the BBC admits to biting four people, empathises with Luis Suarez! [audio]
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/w...our-people-empathises-with-luis-suarez-audio/
If he's actually genuine (I don't think he is), it still doesn't even explain Suarez actions. This guy alleges he bites when he's being attacked, all 3 times Suarez has bitten he's done it out the blue when the other person isn't doing anything to him. Yesterday he actually snuck up to Chiellini to bite him.

What we have with Suarez is a situation where an extraordinarily talented player is with fairly average teams who don't want to upset him as they rely on him almost entirely, so instead defend him rather than getting him the help he needs, they enable it and cover up his many transgressions and try and excuse them. He's like a spoilt kid who's parents never tell him off. If Gaston Ramirez had bitten somebody yesterday I doubt he'd be getting the captain coming out defending him for example.

Last edited:

devil in me

The worrying thing for me is that if the ban is only on the International stage then that actually benefits Suarez. Say he is banned for a year, all that means is that he misses a few pointless friendlies and a couple of qualifiers. A year off travelling around the world and having to piss about with friendlies, and then be available for the next major tournament for Uruguay? That would suit him down to the ground. And as for the Urugauyan media blaming the English media for Suarez biting a player during a game V Italy...they're just embarrassing themselves.

A1X

There was a post on the RAWK meltdown Twitter feed last week that Mrs Suarez said Liverpool reminded her of Uruguay. And having seen the reactions of Uruguay and Liverpool to this it's not hard to see why that connection could be made.

Sarni

He will probably face Colombia and get banned just in time for Brazil. That would be the "perfect move" by FIFA.
You won't make it to Brazil mate. Colombia will absolutely wipe the floor with you no questions asked if you play at the level you've played so far, Suarez or not.

Zak Smith

If FIFA only ban him from internationals, I fully expect that the FA or Liverpool will also take action. He should not be playing in the premier League in two months time after missing [potentially] just one game of football.

antohan

Brazilian media were giving it for granted he may be suspended. They are not making a massive meal of it though.

20 mins should be judged relative to the fact all channels are doing fotball non-stop around the clock. If the caf is anything to go by, Britain is on Suarez round-the-clock with a smattering of what else happened at the World Cup.

Very convenient for Hodgson and his shower of shite display against CR. That's what I find funny. The last thing the Uruguayan media would give two shits about is something from another team, they would be busy with the post mortem, that's all Uruguayans would really care about/consume.

Ever since the handball thing they have been at odds, not surprised.

Thisistheone

Why? That's like a year?

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Because what he did was extraordinary. It will go down as one of the most shocking moments in WC history. It's now the biggest talking point of the whole tournament, over shadowed the football, which has been excellent from an entertainment point of view. FIFA will not be happy with his actions, the reaction from his coach, captain and his comments after.

On top of that, it's his 3rd biting offence. It really is amazing. Three times he has bit another player.

Like I said earlier, I think FIFA will hammer him. I might be wrong but I have a feeling it will be severe.