g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

PedroMendez

Acolyte
As I said, the poll came back 60-40, which isn't an overwhelming nationwide view. I doubt in England it is even an inverted 60-40. Exclude Liverpool, do you think no ban gets to even 10%?

That to me is a distinct cultural difference right there.
lets not get overboard now.
There is a cultural difference between Europe/England and south-america regarding certain actions (e.g. diving), still most people agree that biting should be punished. A TV-poll says nothing. Furthermore many Brazilians dont/didnt know his history of unsportsmanlike behavior. The (english) reactions would be completely different if he would have done it the first time. You can easily excuse one feck-up......doing the same shit three times is a complete different story.
At least the people I know, that know the context, all agree that he should be punished.

I understand that the Uruguayan FA denies everything, but you really dont have to do that. How many players in the history of the game were punished for unsporting behavior for at least 4 times (3x bite; 1x racial abuse)? Thats an exceptional record.

Sad Chris

Liverpool shouldn't have to suffer, Uruguay didn't suffer when he was issued a 10 man ban for Liverpool
Liverpool has formed this man to believe he can get away with anything. They've redrawn the line again and again. Liverpool could and would profit financially if he were to present himself in top form at the world-cup. He is first and foremost an employee of Liverpool and I'm sure if he was only to show his great football skills it would all be about what a great Liverpool player he is. But go ahead, opt-out on the negatives...it's probably just a cultural thing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Regardless of what some Liverpool fans are saying about this, my broader point about being able to discuss and judge this with perspective still stands.

By constantly clouding the discourse with blinkered tribalism (from both sides) you are left with hysteria, exaggeration and anger.
Yes, exactly. However, the ultimate perspective is founded on the available evidence: what was seen, by millions, to occur...and this is why practically any kind of defence can be interpreted as 'please don't ban him'; small wonder if Suarez's critics react unreasonably in the face of, at worst, outright lies - we're being asked to deny or dismiss the reality of what was witnessed globally.

The Purley King

"South American countries ranked the lowest to this question, saying they wouldn't help police and would 100% back their own."
"It's not right or wrong….it's just different."

Its wrong :)

Interesting wiki page - thanks for that.

Thisistheone

Either way I think Liverpool are losing out here. He either gets hammered by FIFA with a global ban or he only gets the international ban and moves to Barca.

wwwwww

And what's more, those defending Suarez are quick to blame the Italian, the England media, the FA, the FIFA, and all for what really happens. I would be very angry if I'm Italian, Suarez is the one who bite Chiellini, and the Italian were the one made to be "snitching and crying wolf". What a perspective that is.
[offtopicbuttrue]The root of racism[/offtopicbuttrue].

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if you're gonna have a cnut you have to put up with the periods.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
oooh Sky Sports are going to be there live. This is exciting.

Don't let us down FIFA! :nervous:

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
Fecking hell, I know he's an awesome player but imagine having Suarez at your club? It would cause too much stress for me!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes, exactly. However, the ultimate perspective is founded on the available evidence: what was seen, by millions, to occur...and this is why practically any kind of defence can be interpreted as 'please don't ban him'; small wonder if Suarez's critics react unreasonably in the face of, at worst, outright lies - we're being asked to deny or dismiss the reality of what was witnessed globally.
Yes, I agree. But the sheer denial - which looks baffling to most - of the very incident is limited to a very small number of people, namely those more or less directly affiliated with the national team. Or so it seems to me anyway.

In a broader context, however, I think the point would be that many seem both too outraged and too full of glee (let's admit it, many of us find it pretty delightful that this fecker has proven himself a cannibal yet again) to take any kind of attempt to put things into perspective as something other than excuses and/or a defence for Suarez. Which is wrong. Because the case does have interesting aspects beyond the pantomime villain (he has made himself into one - there's nobody else to blame - but a pantomime villain he has certainly become) that is Suarez.

What is a reasonable punishment in his case - and what precedent could it possibly set? And so forth. It's hard to debate these things if it becomes yet another case of "apologists" versus "lynch mob". I take it that's what PickleRed is on about.

Raulduke

Liverpool do, of course, have the right to sue him if they can show financial loss.
Surely they would've put in pretty stringent disciplinary related clauses into his latest contract. If not they really are mugs.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Confirmed from conference, Suarez is suspended 9 matches and banned 4 months from any football.