g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

Rudie

Mentary
But that notion is surely countered by the fact that there are plenty of Uruguayans playing in leagues all around the world and no others display this trait.
How many play in leagues where the country condone biting or don't see it as being that big of a deal, it seems that there are more countries than just Uruguay where this view is held by some of the posts in this thread. How many other incidents would we hear of? to be honest I hadn't even heard of Suarez's first biting incident at Ajax.

Just look at the post below...

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Really, you should stop this nonsense of this bite incident being laughed off at other places. Look at the twitter reaction over the globe, you start peddling this myth that it's the English media and it becomes true.
The article is correct though, that photo of Fred munching on a hand posted earlier is straight out of a very popular Brazilian show which dedicated quite a bit of time this morning completely taking the piss out of it all.

I doubt Brazilian twitter friends you may have are representative or at the same scale as a famour Brazilian show and presenter from O Globo, can't blame the reporter for assessing things based on the latter.

antohan

how bout just "yes, I was wrong. I accept the blame"

Going to claim that other did it is worse and petty, and again... he did all those himself : Racist, playacting (more than once), horror tackle, handball, cheating, bringing things into disrespute

So even if he says that horror tackle is much worse than biting, he still did that. So he should have no complain.

And retrospective punishment is nothing new, it has been done before and will be done so again to deal with non football issue (nazi salute, slogan, spiting, racism, etc)

If Suarez launch a horror tackle, no one will claim he's a less of a human being, simply a dirty player, and that's all.

The world is not out against Suarez, he's just that crazy inside
It's a World Cup, there isn't another for four years, that's not really an option. I understand where you are coming from, as soon as the Evra thing happened I was hoping he would come out apologising for doing that in the heat of the moment, should have known better, etc. That's the one thing I always blamed Liverpool for, they should have known better themselves.

I'm afraid the honesty approach is long gone as an option for him, the media will feast on him whichever way he goes about it. What he CAN do about it is not having something to apologise for.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The article is correct though, that photo of Fred munching on a hand posted earlier is straight out of a very popular Brazilian show which dedicated quite a bit of time this morning completely taking the piss out of it all.

I doubt Brazilian twitter friends you may have are representative or at the same scale as a famour Brazilian show and presenter from O Globo, can't blame the reporter for assessing things based on the latter.
They are laughing at Suarez and Uruguay out of sheer delight that he wont be playing against them. Not because they think its hilarious.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Suarez is a joke to the football, no matter how talented he is, he is a joke. I hate it when fanaticism and patriotism make people go blind to the point where they brainwash themselves into thinking he did nothing wrong.

antohan

Well.. I was hit and punched regularly on a boxing match, but i just got on with it and never complains. Why should a footballer complains when he got punched once in a match
Biting isn't legal in rugby, and I'm not saying Chiellini has to get on with it, what I'm saying is it does indeed have more shock value but ultimately it isn't any worse than elbowing or nutting someone. It really isn't and certainly isn't as dangerous. If I had to choose between the three I would take being bitten on the shoulder 10 times out of 10.

Rudie

Mentary
Biting isn't legal in rugby, and I'm not saying Chiellini has to get on with it, what I'm saying is it does indeed have more shock value but ultimately it isn't any worse than elbowing or nutting someone. It really isn't and certainly isn't as dangerous. If I had to choose between the three I would take being bitten on the shoulder 10 times out of 10.
I don't think you comprehend that it's the third time, I doubt many would care as much if it just happened to be the first incident - a one off, but if someone does those things you've mentioned 3 times then they're a serial offender. If Zidane had head butted 3 different people on 3 separate occasions then I'd expect him to get a couple of years time out.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think you comprehend that it's the third time, I doubt many would care as much if it just happened to be the first incident - a one off, but if someone does those things you've mentioned 3 times then they're a serial offender.
Indeed, errare humanum est, but he just cannot keep doing those things.. I genuinely believe that he is a nice person off the field and has the best interests of his teammates/club/country at heart (call me naive) but what the feck happens to him in those moments on the pitch? I'm utterly disappointed with him, he brings shame to himself and to Liverpool. Maybe it is some kind of disease that he could be treated for, or could he really be so stupid as to bite someone after all the shite he's been through (rightfully so) with stuff like that, knowing all the cameras in the world are pointed at him? Can't believe he doesn't know better than this. He deserves a lengthy ban and HOPEFULLY he learns from this but that was what I hoped for after the Ivanovic incident and look, here we are again. Sigh.

antohan

You are like a mildly saner version of Uruguay FA. Only a shade though. This isn't Werewolf games Anto.
I agree he did it and is an idiot for doing it, let the team and country down. No question.

My issue is with

1. biting someone being made to sound akin to one of the very worst possible offences, it's shocking, "what the feck?", and all that, but nothing likely to have much of an impact on the rival, which in my eyes is always the priority.

2. everyone laughing at the idiocy of denying it. It's simple: it's a WC, we've only been to four since 1974, the priority has to be not losing him, let alone throwing him under the bus. It follows you have to plead not guilty, and it follows that to not be guilty you have to put the blinkers on and say it didn't happen. I agree most of the comments have been pretty ridiculous, but you don't have anything particularly clever or sane to say if you are denying it, do you?

3. everyone expecting something even remotely professional from an FA. Get a clue, most tiny country FAs are a complete and utter shambles. I've gone at length on this before. I'll give you another example: one reason we probably missed on WC 2006 was the FA tried to lowball the charter company providing the only available charter for the second play-off leg in Australia, so the Australians hired it and we flew commercial via Los Angeles and arrived the day before the game. One of the players even missed the flight because he forgot to take his passport, a more regular occurrence than is remotely possible.

I know Suarez has brought this upon himself and only has himself to blame, but you all add up his previous actions, go mental and start raging about anything and everything associated with him or putting forward an alternative way.

Perspective, that's all I ask for.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've just read what Suarez's lawyer has said and I'm dumbfounded. I've given up thinking things couldn't get any more ridiculous.

So part of his defence is that he took a worse injury because Cheilini fought him off while he was biting him. I... Just.... What?

And this incident happened "because it is Luis Suarez". Correct but not because there is a conspiracy but because he has a mental disposition that needs psychiatric help.

If his defense has come out fighting like this and is completely unremorseful, I hope fifa take this into account and give him the full two year ban.

antohan

What discipline procedures Rugby use has nothing to do with football. Its irrelevant.

I can't go to country A and commit and offense and claim I deserve the same sentence as I would get in Country B.
Clearly not, but the point put forward by the article was biting wasn't an offence that warranted the longest possible ban. It should be a 4-6 game thing, reincidence then starts extending that, but based on the progression 6 months sounds more than enough. That said, having completely ruined Uruguay's WC will prove harder punishment than whether he gets 3, 6 or 9 months on the sidelines. That I'm very clear about.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
Throw the fecking book at him, FIFA. I am fed up of seeing his racist, rat face on my tv at weekends.

Ban him from football for life and make him work in the Uruguayan sewers.

The Purley King

antohan - "2. everyone laughing at the idiocy of denying it. It's simple: it's a WC, we've only been to four since 1974, the priority has to be not losing him, let alone throwing him under the bus."

I don't agree with this. Doesn't the integrity of the competition mean anything? You would rather play with a player you know full well should be banned by mounting an increasingly ridiculous defence rather than do the right thing and say something like "We will cooperate with the enquiry fully and accept any punishment he receives" ?

If there was any shred of doubt that it might be an accident then yes, I can understand denying it, but doing so at this point is just embarrassing.

antohan

They are laughing at Suarez and Uruguay out of sheer delight that he wont be playing against them. Not because they think its hilarious.
Did you watch the show? They said it was a shame to lose a player like him and the poll they ran had 60% of viewers not wanting him banned.

Brazilians love a flawed genius.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Look at all those awful English people in that video, getting all worked up. No one else is. It was also the front page of AS & Gazetto Dello Sport and The Brazilian Sports Minister has condemned him. How can anyone still pretending it's only the English media?

Granted we're certainly not making fun of it like O Globo. All these memes and jokes are just our way of venting our pure, seething anger.

Last edited:

JUPITER

Throw the fecking book at him, FIFA. I am fed up of seeing his racist, rat face on my tv at weekends.

Ban him from football for life and make him work in the Uruguayan sewers.
They don't have sewers in Uruguay, and they don't do poos.

Yes, they sometimes visit the toilet, sit on the toilet, and then stand up leaving what looks like a poo in the toilet - but this is really just an approximation. A coming together, if you will.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
They don't have sewers in Uruguay, and they don't do poos.

Yes, they sometimes visit the toilet, sit on the toilet, and then stand up leaving what looks like a poo in the toilet - but this is really just an approximation. A coming together, if you will.
:lol: :nervous:

antohan

antohan - "2. everyone laughing at the idiocy of denying it. It's simple: it's a WC, we've only been to four since 1974, the priority has to be not losing him, let alone throwing him under the bus."

I don't agree with this. Doesn't the integrity of the competition mean anything? You would rather play with a player you know full well should be banned by mounting an increasingly ridiculous defence rather than do the right thing and say something like "We will cooperate with the enquiry fully and accept any punishment he receives" ?

If there was any shred of doubt that it might be an accident then yes, I can understand denying it, but doing so at this point is just embarrassing.
We would never win it anyway, no chance. We would just like to carry on playing at full strength and see where that takes us, make justice to all the effort put into getting here and produce better games.

I'm under no illusion that it will happen. He is out, and we will just stumble along to the exit. I'm also clear the post-mortem will be very clear on "you just can't fecking do that you tit".

In the meantime, owning up is a no-go.It would be like admitting you were offside after scoring the winner in a CL Final, nice story for your grandchildren on how come the family moved to Greenland.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The English media/witch hunt angle is clearly just bollocks, I think we can all agree on that. Any bad press Suarez has gotten in England has been down to his own stupidity - and his reluctance/refusal to come out and apologize properly for his transgressions.

But having said that I do think there is a genuine - call it what you will - cultural difference playing its part here too. Not everyone regards biting someone as being the most outrageous act a footballer can commit on the pitch - and there is undoubtedly a tendency to regard all manner of gamesmanship and whathaveya differently: these things aren't seen as the utter deal breakers many Europeans are wont to regard them as by, say, many South Americans. This has been true for a long time - and is, again, a cultural difference (or at least a difference in the way sportsmen are perceived).

antohan

Look at all those awful English people in that video, getting all worked up. No one else is. It was also the front page of AS & Gazetto Dello Sport. How can anyone still pretending it's only the English media?

Granted we're certainly not making fun of it like O Globo. All these memes and jokes are just our way of venting our pure, seething anger.
I'm not arguing it is just English people, just correcting those saying everyine around the world to a man is outraged and has the exact same "logical" stance. There's cultural twists, of course there are.

StressedEric

Is it a culture thing? Does Suarez only get caught because he's high profile? Uruguay can't compare their own leagues to the World Cup. The only other player in recent times I can remember biting someone is an English player, Jermaine Defoe.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is it a culture thing? Does Suarez only get caught because he's high profile? Uruguay can't compare their own leagues to the World Cup. The only other player in recent times I can remember biting someone is an English player, Jermaine Defoe.
Biting isn't a cultural thing - it's just a thing, which Luis Suarez bizarrely enough seems to have a...thing for. But the perception of it - to what extent one is utterly outraged by it - may certainly be a cultural thing.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm not arguing it is just English people, just correcting those saying everyine around the world to a man is outraged and has the exact same "logical" stance. There's cultural twists, of course there are.
And not everyone in Brazil is hilariously dismissive.

The Brazilian Sports Minister has condemned him.

Some other Brazilian paper opinion:

"Against Italy, his head ruined everything. He could have been one of the heroes of their qualification for the last 16, but instead he finished the game as a villain" - Lance

"We almost saw the first incident of cannibalism at the World Cup. As he has the face of a rodent, maybe Suarez succumbed to some atavistic impulse – but that doesn’t excuse him.” - O Globo

"The Uruguayan pitbull could be thrown out of the World Cup”. - O Dia

If you're looking for opinion that chimes with your own, you'll more than likely find it, on both sides of the fence. I saw some heated debates on Brazilian TV about it. Though granted I couldn't understand what they're were saying, it didn't seem like the dismissive hilarity you're trying to paint as a country wide attitude.

23rd

I really dont know whats the right punishment for Suarez..

Match ban - i dont think this is the right punishment
World ban - i dont think its right too, cause well, basically, he`s still human right?and of course, he still have his human right (although its arguable)

The most effective thing in my mind are putting some mouth piece into him..some sort of glasses that Davids use perhaps?

Anyway, for people who consistently backed him up..try to play football against people who can come to bite you..im pretty sure your first reaction is to punch him straight in his face

antohan

Anyhow, the overall point is these discussions would be far richer if we tried to look at it in a more open-minded way and not acting like rabid dogs with a bone.

Getting on a plane now, have fun being outraged at whatever decision FIFA comes up with. Likely 6 games from what the morning news reports say here in Natal (unless it was whoever posted that on the caf starting a global bullshit rumour).

The Purley King

antohan - you can admit you were offside when you scored the winner in a game - thats fine, nobody is expecting you to tell the referee you thought you were offside after you scored.
Surely you can see the difference here though?
Just feel that the Uruguayan team would come out of this situation much better if they admitted what happened - or at the very least say something like "The video footage looks bad and we will accept the decision of FIFA". As you say, its inevitable what will happen anyway, so its hard to understand the stance that has been taken.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Anyhow, the overall point is these discussions would be far richer if we tried to look at it in a more open-minded way and not acting like rabid dogs with a bone.

Getting on a plane now, have fun being outraged at whatever decision FIFA comes up with. Likely 6 games from what the morning news reports say here in Natal (unless it was whoever posted that on the caf starting a global bullshit rumour).
:lol: Ironic much?

antohan

And not everyone in Brazil is hilariously dismissive.

The Brazilian Sports Minister has condemned him.

Some other Brazilian paper opinion:

"Against Italy, his head ruined everything. He could have been one of the heroes of their qualification for the last 16, but instead he finished the game as a villain" - Lance

"We almost saw the first incident of cannibalism at the World Cup. As he has the face of a rodent, maybe Suarez succumbed to some atavistic impulse – but that doesn’t excuse him.” - O Globo

"The Uruguayan pitbull could be thrown out of the World Cup”. - O Dia

If you're looking for opinion that chimes with your own, you'll more than likely find it, on both sides of the fence. I saw some heated debates on Brazilian TV about it. Though granted I couldn't understand what they're were saying, it didn't seem like the dismissive hilarity you're trying to paint as a country wide attitude.
As I said, the poll came back 60-40, which isn't an overwhelming nationwide view. I doubt in England it is even an inverted 60-40. Exclude Liverpool, do you think no ban gets to even 10%?

That to me is a distinct cultural difference right there.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
:lol: Feckin' hell, they actually said that?

Well, I doubt any English paper would've printed that - so perhaps poor Luis is better off being persecuted in the Old World after all.

quackattack

It dosn't matter if it was "only a bit" or whatever. If he'd pee or take a dump on a player, sure he wouldn't have caught rabies, but it is still not legal to do it on, off, below, above, outside, or especially on the pitch. It kicking someone is also a very, very serious offence, but it COULD be more difficult to judge it you kick a player accidentially or by intent since you quite often use your feet to kick the ball as a vital aspect of the game. Your teeth on the other hand is rarely anything you should, or want to use when playing football.

That said, I despise players who kick others for the heck of it, but the issue here is that we all assumed LS would not repeat this, the same stupidity yet again. Not to mention that he didn't exactly promote fair play in his last WC either... Something which I believe is an important aspect, not only towards LS, but hellofa lot of players these days. To be completely honest, players these days play so unfair and rotten that they should have their whole body covered with something covering, and fingers constricted so that it would be impossible to hold others as well, then perhaps we would see some proper fair play, right?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I haven't seen such desperate defending since JT 'slipped' while chasing Arsenal's RVP.