Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

Rednotdead

Actually I just had a look at the code. Liverpool can't appeal the decision as they weren't a party to the original proceedings. Only the player and the Uruguayian FA were.

However the English FA may appeal the decision on behalf of Liverpool under statute 119.2.
I'd be very surprised indeed if the FA dipped their toes into this particular water. MInd you, it's the FA................:rolleyes:

Twentythreeeleven

I'd be very surprised indeed if the FA dipped their toes into this particular water. MInd you, it's the FA................:rolleyes:
Yeah, I doubt they'll want to go near it. The appeal will most likely come from the
Player assisted by his club.

It would be nice to actually see Liverpool make a big balls decision for once and accept FIFA's judgement and suspend the player without pay.

Winrar

This "saga" is starting to make Uruguayan FA look more like an idiot than the actual perpetrator. The collective lengths at their trying to defend Suarez despite plenty of evidence that contradicts their stance is simply staggering.

Twentythreeeleven

Which would seem unlikely given they just suspended him last year for an identical offense.
I wonder if there was any written notice to the player about further offending from the FA on that occasion?

This "saga" is starting to make Uruguayan FA look more like an idiot than the actual perpetrator. The collective lengths at their trying to defend Suarez despite plenty of evidence that contradicts their stance is simply staggering.
It's the win at all costs mentality that really turns people off supporting Uruguay. They genuinely achieve amazing results given their tiny size and population and could be everyone's "second team" due to their underdog status. But it's acts like these that may the whole country look morally corrupt.

I don't know one person who wants to see them win another game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
As long as Suarez's and Uruguay's line of defence is 'this happens and it's completely fine to bite players' and they keep blaming Chiellini they won't have this ban reduced even by a day. I reckon that to certain extent his ban has been dictated by the fact that he has shown absolutely no remorse and tried to imply it was Chiellini who hit him.

Rafateria

Because your view of right and wrong is framed by the actual act, your values are such that it is all about whether the act is right or wrong. What that post indicates is certain cultures have different priorities, their values focus on a different type of right and wrong. Not protecting your own is "wronger" than whether the act is right or not for us. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but it's not a logical formula, it's the nuances of cultures and how certain things take precedence.

I don't expect you to agree, just to open your mind a bit to the possibility that some people have a different way of going about things that is hardwired into them from the moment they are born. If that applies to South Americans, imagine how much more it applies to Uruguayans, stuck in between two much much larger countries they constantly had to engage in wars against to keep their independence.

It's one of the things that explains how a country with 3M people can have 2 WCs, 2 Olympic Golds, 15 Copa Americas (more than Argentina or Brasil) and its clubs have 8 continental tournos and 6 Intercontinental ones. Name me countries with comparable records, you will struggle to get to five and they all have at least 15 times our population.
Nice .. and very interesting post.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I find it hard to take that article seriously when it mentioned Cantona. United banned him for 4 months. No talks of lawyers or lawsuits, or even a mention of CAS. Then the FA further gave him an 8 month ban. He never did it again.

I'm sorry, but everytime people mention Cantona in relation to Suarez's situation, it smacks of them putting a football rivalry spin on the situation when the decent thing to do would be to look at your own club and your own player's actions.

Twentythreeeleven

I find it hard to take that article seriously when it mentioned Cantona. United banned him for 4 months. No talks of lawyers or lawsuits, or even a mention of CAS. Then the FA further gave him an 8 month ban. He never did it again.

I'm sorry, but everytime people mention Cantona in relation to Suarez's situation, it smacks of them putting a football rivalry spin on the situation when the decent thing to do would be to look at your own club and your own player's actions.
Plus it was twenty odd years ago.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Because your view of right and wrong is framed by the actual act, your values are such that it is all about whether the act is right or wrong. What that post indicates is certain cultures have different priorities, their values focus on a different type of right and wrong. Not protecting your own is "wronger" than whether the act is right or not for us. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but it's not a logical formula, it's the nuances of cultures and how certain things take precedence.

I don't expect you to agree, just to open your mind a bit to the possibility that some people have a different way of going about things that is hardwired into them from the moment they are born. If that applies to South Americans, imagine how much more it applies to Uruguayans, stuck in between two much much larger countries they constantly had to engage in wars against to keep their independence.

It's one of the things that explains how a country with 3M people can have 2 WCs, 2 Olympic Golds, 15 Copa Americas (more than Argentina or Brasil) and its clubs have 8 continental tournos and 6 Intercontinental ones. Name me countries with comparable records, you will struggle to get to five and they all have at least 15 times our population.
What worries me is that how a simple fact of "Suarez Bite" can turn one whole nation consisting of 3 million people, and a bunch of educated heads at their government and football associations to simply acting in a very ignorant ways of pretending that nothing happens.

It really worries me to the state of principles of life.

It's just a football club, but if the same incident happens on a hot border zone in iraq, I bet blood could have been shed (tbf blood have been shed for much less around the globe)

Luckily they're just throwing books, replace Suarez with missiles and Chiellini with an island and they'll be throwing soldiers and jet fighter.

Chivalry and gentleman value is dead.

That is what worries me, there will always be lunatics around the world, but a looney nation who despite a very factual evidence and I don't think Suarez even deny it (he just say it happens) and still manages to think that they're the wrong party.

No wonder the history of mankind are filled with wars

Twentythreeeleven

Nobody with half a brain cheats like that, there's 101 smarter ways to cheat on a football game
Its got to be one of the best ways to get someone to make an instinctual violent reaction.

It's not like he doesn't try the other 101 ways either. ;)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Was Pepe's history considered when he was sent off again for headbutt?
You clearly have a different concept of football.

The nature and dynamics of football will always make sure that tackles, elbows and all happens. Pepe got his ban for a headbutt, and rightly so because a headbutt is not part of football. And let's put some perspective, there's no proof to proof that a late tackle is "intentional" and as such they go with the only route they have : ie banning because of offence. If they can (or in a case the players admits), the FIFA can bring it under bringing game under disrespute.

Suarez, mind you... have escaped horror tackles, play acting, for the same reason, that nobody in this world can judge "contempt" not yet executed, they can only punish someone if they executed their evil contempt, and in this case, Suarez stupidly executed his bite. Hence he got the ban.

I don't see any injustice. First offence < second < third. And the incremental increase in the lenght of the ban is proportionate.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Its got to be one of the best ways to get someone to make an instinctual violent reaction.

It's not like he doesn't try the other 101 ways either. ;)
Probably he's actually a lazy bastard, and doing it to get extended holidays. Smart ways eh, keep your paycheck, endearing himself to fans, raising his profile, getting his move easier, while enjoying an extended holidays from football

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Nobody serious would attempt to justify what he did. I don't think even the taliban says he's not biting.

You can argue about the lenght of the ban, or whether Liverpool deserves to pay for what he did while he's on his NT, but on the biting itself, it's like arguing that the sun doesn't exist

Twentythreeeleven

Suarez, mind you... have escaped horror tackles, play acting, for the same reason, that nobody in this world can judge "contempt" not yet executed, they can only punish someone if they executed their evil contempt, and in this case, Suarez stupidly executed his bite. Hence he got the ban.
Yep, he's gets away with more dirty tricks than a Patpong bar dancer.

nick2004

If you mean that they cannot play without biting people, then ... ban them forever!!!

There are simple rules. If you can't follow them, don't play the sport. Everything else is irrelevant.

Rafateria

Yes. I want to talk about moral values. In sport.
How about in football ?

Gordon Strachan hit the nail on the head earlier: there are no morals in football, its all about winning and doing whatever you can to win, wife beaters, home wrecking cheats, thugs, thieves and plain old nasty fecking bastards get cheered up and down the country and all over the world every week, we're all hypocrites, the lot of us, some more than others mind.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
On the side note, I've been reading quite a few pages, but this hasn't been clarified:

"No football administration"

Does it means that he can't be registered in the Premiership and thus out till January window?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How about in football ?

Gordon Strachan hit the nail on the head earlier: there are no morals in football, its all about winning and doing whatever you can to win, wife beaters, home wrecking cheats, thugs, thieves and plain old nasty fecking bastards get cheered up and down the country and all over the world every week, we're all hypocrites, the lot of us, some more than others mind.
The world is not fair, nobody says the world is fair.

You just have to be smart enough to play by the rules.

And please... the Liverpool are one of the most hypocrites fans. Everything is ok if it's their genius, and everything else is corrupt as feck.

Rio and Cantona got 8 months ban and they say it's corrupt, they got an 8 match ban and still it's corrupt.

The irony.

EDIT: You must have been a Scouse I presume? Rafateria? Rafa Benitez? Personally I would welcome you here to post and banter, but please have some perspective, Suarez bites and this is his third time. You can argue about the lenght of the ban, but coming here and telling us it's corrupt and hipocrisy when it's actually a simple act of stupidity got caught and got deservedly punished.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You clearly have a different concept of football.

The nature and dynamics of football will always make sure that tackles, elbows and all happens. Pepe got his ban for a headbutt, and rightly so because a headbutt is not part of football. And let's put some perspective, there's no proof to proof that a late tackle is "intentional" and as such they go with the only route they have : ie banning because of offence. If they can (or in a case the players admits), the FIFA can bring it under bringing game under disrespute.

I don't see any injustice. First offence < second < third. And the incremental increase in the lenght of the ban is proportionate.
There's a good point in there, you can't accidentally bite someone in football unless it's a truly bizarre set of yet unrealised circumstances, so it can only ever be intentional.

sh4d

I can't understand how people casually compare biting to a tackle, elbow or other similar fouls on a football pitch. Yes, the "injury" factor is the same and there have even been worse things done then biting, damage wise.

But is biting really that common on pitches around the globe that they can be looked in the same way as doing a harsh tackle ? Even if we ignore the fact it's his third time doing it.

Twentythreeeleven

How about in football ?

What a load of nonsense. Just because flawed individuals play football doesn't mean that there are no morals in the sport. There are flawed individuals in every walk of life across every profession and class of society. There are wife beaters in the Police Force and Judiciary doesn't mean there are no morals in those professions.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
How about in football ?

So there's no Liverpool way then? Just a bunch of hypocrites?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Personally, I think this decision to ban him is flawed. There is no hard proof that he bit Chiellini - all these photos are likely photoshopped according to an article I read in the Guardian and the TV footage clearly does not show his teeth sinking into Chiellini's shoulder - the camera is behind Suarez for one. One of the photos shows 3 marks close to one another and 2 further apart below the 3. The 3 certainly are too close together to be front teeth, besides which I guess Suarez has 4 teeth prominent at the front like most other humans.

He has been judged based on his previous which I think is only acceptable if there is hard evidence. Was an imprint of his teeth taken and matched up with whatever marks might be on Chiellini? Where is the HARD evidence?

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Personally, I think this decision to ban him is flawed. There is no hard proof that he bit Chiellini - all these photos are likely photoshopped according to an article I read in the Guardian and the TV footage clearly does not show his teeth sinking into Chiellini's shoulder - the camera is behind Suarez for one. One of the photos shows 3 marks close to one another and 2 further apart below the 3. The 3 certainly are too close together to be front teeth, besides which I guess Suarez has 4 teeth prominent at the front like most other humans.

He has been judged based on his previous which I think is only acceptable if there is hard evidence. Was an imprint of his teeth taken and matched up with whatever marks might be on Chiellini? Where is the HARD evidence?
Stop it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Nobody serious would attempt to justify what he did. I don't think even the taliban says he's not biting.

You can argue about the lenght of the ban, or whether Liverpool deserves to pay for what he did while he's on his NT, but on the biting itself, it's like arguing that the sun doesn't exist
About the length of the ban....Suarez is banned for 9 competitive international games. That's a damn sight longer than his Liverpool ban, when you consider how few competitive internationals there are.

He'll miss out on this WC, plus a huge chunk, if not all, of the Copa America and probably a couple qualifiers. So anyone arguing Liverpool are being punished more than Uruguay have not thought things through.

Rednotdead

You deserve a ban from this forum just for the lack of effort in this attempt. Four months should do it.

Charlie10Utd

HAHA stop please! Really?

This is the whole reason when he was voted Player of the year i really thought it was a mistake. Although you cannot deny his football ability and that he probably deserved it based on that we all knew what a moron this bloke was. Could he be trusted to be a role model for the youngsters which IMO is part and parcel of being player of the year. Well obviously not, which a lot of us knew it was only a matter of time before he let himself and everyone else down. I have said numerous times that he hadnt changed, it was just because everything was rosey in the garden and everything was going for him. As soon as it came down to the nitty gritty he would soon return to type. Its his attidute that gripes me more, even atfer play acting at the time of doing these things in order to try and turn the tables away from him he then lie's and denies it all and goes the victim route. He doesnt even realise or believe that he has done anything wrong. Liverpool have played a huge part in this and they deserve it IMO, he should have been banned for longer.

Rafateria

The world is not fair, nobody says the world is fair.

You just have to be smart enough to play by the rules.

And please... the Liverpool are one of the most hypocrites fans. Everything is ok if it's their genius, and everything else is corrupt as feck.

Rio and Cantona got 8 months ban and they say it's corrupt, they got an 8 match ban and still it's corrupt.

The irony.

EDIT: You must have been a Scouse I presume? Rafateria? Rafa Benitez? Personally I would welcome you here to post and banter, but please have some perspective, Suarez bites and this is his third time. You can argue about the lenght of the ban, but coming here and telling us it's corrupt and hipocrisy when it's actually a simple act of stupidity got caught and got deservedly punished.
Yes, a scouser living in China.

Actually I think you will have seen from my previous posts that perspective is all I'm asking for. I have never condoned his actions (from Ajax to Brazil) and have not argued the length of the ban, for the most part it is fair (though I would have preferred 2 year International ban, which is relevant to the competition Uruguay are playing in, without a domestic ban, which impacts on a club which is then unable to appeal, or the unfathomable ban on training - but then I would wouldn't I) ;)

Aren't all fans hypocrites ? Of course they all are to some extent. They are tribal, they protect their own. Would people on fan forums around the world react the same if it was one of their own ? Calling for extreme bans and jail time ? I remember the Cantona, Keane and Rio incidents well .... the reaction of the club's fans is similar to those of 'Pool fans now (despite the posting of RAWK comments in this thread that people find amusing - those are most definitely in the minority and are often from knuckle-dragging fans, of which every club has bus-loads, as can be evidenced on every club forum).
They can not condone the player's actions and generally agree with the punishment, but have no option but to continue to seek the best solution for their club (in this case I'd be very happy with €80m - the reputed buyout clause - from Barca). Nobody wants to see their club suffer because of the actions of one idiot and trying to obtain a reasonable outcome for the club should not be take as support for the player.

No player is greater than their club and both United and Liverpool have overcome the lose of great players but continued to thrive. This is no different, everybody finds this latest bite incredible and bizarre .. and on the world stage too. Clearly there is an emotional level he reaches that triggers a mental disconnect when under extreme stress and the man needs help .... I do feel that Liverpool addressed this last season with Suarez, along with all the players, having psychological assistance in-house, at least it seemed that way since he behaved himself. Probably though Uruguay have no team psychologist and without that help he mentally caved in again.

However the level of hypocrisy in the UK seems to have reached unprecedented levels. Suitable punishment is one thing, but some of the emotional outbursts are akin to those of lynchings. Maybe for some people it is simply deflection, a way of unburdening their own sins !

Rafateria

It really worries me to the state of principles of life.

It's just a football club, but if the same incident happens on a hot border zone in iraq, I bet blood could have been shed (tbf blood have been shed for much less around the globe)

Luckily they're just throwing books, replace Suarez with missiles and Chiellini with an island and they'll be throwing soldiers and jet fighter.

Chivalry and gentleman value is dead.

That is what worries me, there will always be lunatics around the world ....
No wonder the history of mankind are filled with wars
Have you just noticed how morally corrupt this world is ? The 'win at all cost' actions of footballers is nothing compared to that of corrupt governments, politicians and multi-national companies. There is no redemption (Jeez - I think I need to find a soap box and a 'The End of the World is Nigh' placard) !

Charlie10Utd

Actually I think you will have seen from my previous posts that perspective is all I'm asking for. I have never condoned his actions (from Ajax to Brazil) and have not argued the length of the ban, for the most part it is fair (though I would have preferred 2 year International ban, which is relevant to the competition Uruguay are playing in, without a domestic ban, which impacts on a club which is then unable to appeal, or the unfathomable ban on training - but then I would wouldn't I) ;)

Aren't all fans hypocrites ? Of course they all are to some extent. They are tribal, they protect their own. Would people on fan forums around the world react the same if it was one of their own ? Calling for extreme bans and jail time ? I remember the Cantona, Keane and Rio incidents well .... the reaction of the club's fans is similar to those of 'Pool fans now (despite the posting of RAWK comments in this thread that people find amusing - those are most definitely in the minority and are often from knuckle-dragging fans, of which every club has bus-loads, as can be evidenced on every club forum).
They can not condone the player's actions and generally agree with the punishment, but have no option but to continue to seek the best solution for their club (in this case I'd be very happy with €80m - the reputed buyout clause - from Barca). Nobody wants to see their club suffer because of the actions of one idiot and trying to obtain a reasonable outcome for the club should not be take as support for the player.

No player is greater than their club and both United and Liverpool have overcome the lose of great players but continued to thrive. This is no different, everybody finds this latest bite incredible and bizarre .. and on the world stage too. Clearly there is an emotional level he reaches that triggers a mental disconnect when under extreme stress and the man needs help .... I do feel that Liverpool addressed this last season with Suarez, along with all the players, having psychological assistance in-house, at least it seemed that way since he behaved himself. Probably though Uruguay have no team psychologist and without that help he mentally caved in again.

However the level of hypocrisy in the UK seems to have reached unprecedented levels. Suitable punishment is one thing, but some of the emotional outbursts are akin to those of lynchings. Maybe for some people it is simply deflection, a way of unburdening their own sins !

Sorry but it is his third time doing this, twice at club level and then at international level in the biggest arena you can get. It is not really over the top that a lot of people now think that he should be punished severely. FIFA control the game and if he hasnt learnt from his bans by the retrospective FA's then what would you expect the governing body to do when he does the same thing at the World Cup?

I have said before i dont think he changed or was controlled by Liverpool, things were just going well for him and he had no reason to do silly stuff, we all knew that once the going got tough or he started to feel hard done by then he would return to type. He bit someone again, for the third time. He has been given his chance and threw it in everyones face.

I do agree that all fans are hypocrites to a degree, you will always get your over the top nutters with every club but Rio, Cantona are and were completely different things to this. Suarez is on another planet and the fact he is surrounded by numpties defending him and denying everything just makes him worse.

Rednotdead

Therein lies the problem though, he can't be helped because he doesn't see anything wrong in what he did. Enforced intervention would only exacerbate his sense of injustice at (in his eyes) being unfairly punished. As for any assistance he may or may not have had at Liverpool, we simply don't know whether that had any effect or not. It could simply be that he didn't misbehave last season because the mental trigger wasn't activated by someone or something.

Sad Chris

Suarez' psychiatrist has stated that he can't exterminate Suarez' animal-instinct. He said: "It's a cultural thing. You must understand." So now they're working on Suarez switching from biting to dry-humping. The maximum ban for dry-humping according to FIFA officials is 3 months.

Rafateria

Sorry but it is his third time doing this, twice at club level and then at international level in the biggest arena you can get. It is not really over the top that a lot of people now think that he should be punished severely. FIFA control the game and if he hasnt learnt from his bans by the retrospective FA's then what would you expect the governing body to do when he does the same thing at the World Cup?

I have said before i dont think he changed or was controlled by Liverpool, things were just going well for him and he had no reason to do silly stuff, we all knew that once the going got tough or he started to feel hard done by then he would return to type. He bit someone again, for the third time. He has been given his chance and threw it in everyones face.

I do agree that all fans are hypocrites to a degree, you will always get your over the top nutters with every club but Rio, Cantona are and were completely different things to this. Suarez is on another planet and the fact he is surrounded by numpties defending him and denying everything just makes him worse.
I wasn't comparing the actions of those players but the reactions of the fans. Support the club not the player.

With regard to the bolded section above : there actually is no basis for your theory. Fact is he did not offend despite the incredible stress on all the players towards the end of the season. Was that just coincidence ? Not the influence of our psychologist ? Impossible to say for certain but the evidence says it's impossible to discount.

Rafateria

Therein lies the problem though, he can't be helped because he doesn't see anything wrong in what he did. Enforced intervention would only exacerbate his sense of injustice at (in his eyes) being unfairly punished. As for any assistance he may or may not have had at Liverpool, we simply don't know whether that had any effect or not. It could simply be that he didn't misbehave last season because the mental trigger wasn't activated by someone or something.
Please also refer to post #3039 above so I don't post repetitions. Of course he knows what he did is wrong, it's like a child stealing a toy from a shop and then denying he did it. He knows he did it, he knows it was wrong but he doesn't want to face up to the consequences. In that scenario then it is possible to help him in that particular regard ... the greater issue is stopping the biting when under extreme emotional stress. I believe we demonstrated last season that it can be done.