Television Succession

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I mean what could be more Succession than them deciding the future of the country based on their own little interpersonal issues.

Kendell trying to pretend he had any morality until he decided it was more important to feck Shiv over than stop the country descending into chaos was a particular highlight.

cyberman

At least we have a race to the finish now. Anybody think Mattsen gets the president on his side after the siblings gets him elected? Trump did fall out with Fox after all

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Suppose I don't know enough about the US election system, but why does it matter who calls the election first? Surely it's the votes that matter?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Suppose I don't know enough about the US election system, but why does it matter who calls the election first? Surely it's the votes that matter?
I guess the whole Wisconsin thing would go legal and them calling it for him gives him a sense of legitimacy that may help in that fight.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also Greg’s little smile in the window after he fecked over Shiv :lol:

baskinginthesun

Good episode. I used to have a small soft spot for Roman but, that kind of went away after this episode.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's kind of like in real life, where Trump will win the republican primary and then Fox will report how he's going to be next president (rather than his legal worries) and the rest of the system is going to fall in line of that narrative, because his side has the guns and police on their side.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don't see how they finish this in only two more episodes
The show has never had big payoffs to storyline plots. Mostly character arcs drive it. Especially all the business arcs are just for context and are never closed off for a big pay off. Same will be true for this season. There is a chance there might not even be a definite resolution to Gojo deal going through or not. Political stuff will definitely not be resolved. I do expect there to be some kind of resolution for characters, with perhaps the show adding an exclamation point of sorts to the siblings' relationship. I guess what will be the most contentious ending is if the show refuses to show who "won" the game of succession, something Twitter/Reddit stans want. In general they have had definite answers to these arcs in S2 & S3 so most likely we should see the some conclusion but there is always a chance, they play it off as this being an on-going thing between siblings as part of some love-hate relationship, similar to one they had with their dad.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I guess there are two worlds to think of. Pre-Trump stolen election non sense and post the same. For the prior era also there was a very very small intersection of events that allowed media to play a pivotal role. This is only somewhat true for 2000 election wrt Florida where Bush & Gore were in dead heat in terms of electoral college points. If I read things correctly, Fox was the first to call Florida for Bush. Though that was not the only reason, but other factors led Gore to concede the election somewhat early to Bush, which he had to reverse when the margin & other issues in Flroida became more clearer. But Bush definitely got some advantage of claiming legitimacy for his case due to the pre-mature calls for his win in some media sections. Ultimately the SC make up was more appointment as was the fortuitous circumstance of Bush's brother in position to make critical decisions in Florida. But argument can be made that media including Fox allowed cover for these decisions.
Post Trump 2020 stolen election non sense, game has totally changed. If Media under garb of first amendment becomes a willing arm of a candidate wanting to bring an election into disrepute then they can definitely rile up a vast majority of people to breakdown the whole system. Fox themselves did not go that far enough during the results process but did post election when business impact was on the line. Worth noting that their defamation loss was also because of the damage to a private company's reputation rather than lies about the election.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Unless I missed it somewhere along the way, I don't think they did anywhere near enough to drive home to us why Mencken becoming President would be such a disaster.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Unless I missed it somewhere along the way, I don't think they did anywhere near enough to drive home to us why Mencken becoming President would be such a disaster.
He’s a Republican, really don’t need to say anything more than that.

cyberman

Let’s be honest, they’ve rushed from crucial story point to crucial story point all season and haven’t really fleshed all that much out. Great acting but it feels like they had another season in mind after this but are combining the two

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
To be fair only Shiv thinks that
Have a few of them not called him a fascist? If even in passing

He’s a Republican, really don’t need to say anything more than that.
Well I agree but as above, they've definitely made comments to suggest he's particularly diabolical even by right wing standards.

From the sounds of it, he sounds like a proper right wing nut job.
Only the sounds of it though, could have done with more substance I think.

Let’s be honest, they’ve rushed from crucial story point to crucial story point all season and haven’t really fleshed all that much out. Great acting but it feels like they had another season in mind after this but are combining the two
I was loving it when they were in the weeds with Matsson, I'm not so sure on this new turn i.e. the election. It has come when it didn't feel like the Matsson stuff was even at maturity yet.

cyberman

Have a few of them not called him a fascist? If even in passing

Well I agree but as above, they've definitely made comments to suggest he's particularly diabolical even by right wing standards.

Only the sounds of it though, could have done with more substance I think.

I was loving it when they were in the weeds with Matsson, I'm not so sure on this new turn i.e. the election. It has come when it didn't feel like the Matsson stuff was even at maturity yet.
Their nerfed Matsson right away and the big secret about tanking the deal isn’t that big of a deal because the so called old people are now in on it who were competing with the kids not two episodes prior!
Now they’re attacking democracy with 2 episodes left but the next episode is all about Logan’s funeral so that’ll be crammed into the finale.
Still a great show but it’s fallen on top of itself a bit

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't get why the writers would think we'd give a damn who wins the presidency? We barely know any of the candidates outside of superficial descriptions, it's been a peripheral plot point at the most and the whole show exists in a privileged bubble unaffected by whoever's in the Oval Office.
It’s literally a whole episode on how the media controls the news nowadays.

We know that there’s a Democrat (who appears to be flawed but at least has a spine) and a Facist. It need go no deeper.

An entire media family, among the richest people on earth, are choosing the next president. Not reporting on it, but deciding. And not for some greater good. But to secure more money, power, and influence.

It’s a microcosm of the entire show.

I think it was appropriately disjointed and messy and tense. The kids are just playing at being adults. Logan was a piece of shit so this kind of scenario was second nature. He would have been fielding calls. Not making them. The three little invertebrates begging for attention was telling.

Roman just wants to win. Shiv (for once) didn’t want to cross a principled line. Kendal, as always, say on the fence and ended up with an arsehole full of splinters.

It’s an illustration of power and its ability to corrupt. The election was the lens, not the subject matter.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The show isn't even trying to prove to you how bad Mencken is. It's sufficient that every character is in agreement hat he'd be terrible for the country. The point is that none of the give a shit about it and are willing to sell out their country for the pettiest of reasons and that they actually have the ability to do so.

Like: "hey look, these guys would actually deliberately feck up their country, because they got steak instead of chicken ... and guess what - they actually have the power to do so!".

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Interesting that so many people on here seem to want resolution of "plot points".

This is not the point of the show. It's a character study of the Roy family and all other characters and plots only exist to drive the characters' stories forward.

So it's doesn't matter why Mencken is a fascist or bad for the country, he exists to hammer home the ideological wedge between the siblings and how they all want to use him for their own ends. Same for Mattson.

That's why this show is different from others. It's not a plot driven drama where characters exist to drive the plot forward, it's a character study where plot exists to flesh out the characters.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yes characters have been fleshed out well, but development has been non-existent. Did think it was going to be some kind of Kendall redemption, but that died in Season 3.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yes characters have been fleshed out well, but development has been non-existent. Did think it was going to be some kind of Kendall redemption, but that died in Season 3.
I think this is what keeps the show out of the top TV shows list for me. Moment to moment it's fantastic, but it hasn't really gone anywhere in four seasons until they killed off Brian Cox. They did kill off Brian Cox though, and not in the finale or anything, which makes this the best season.

)_(

That's literally the point.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think this is what keeps the show out of the top TV shows list for me. Moment to moment it's fantastic, but it hasn't really gone anywhere in four seasons until they killed off Brian Cox. They did kill off Brian Cox though, and not in the finale or anything, which makes this the best season.
Agreed

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm assuming the mention of Alaska being the last state to call will be relevant if the WI result is overturned? As will Connor saying he was getting votes there a few episodes ago?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think this season is easily the most boring one yet, except the Connor's wedding episode.

There's literally nothing important happening except the potential takeover, and they dragged the takeover during entire season without anything actually happening regarding the takeover except Shiv talking random stuff with that basketball player from Europe(he isn't that interesting either). Shiv and Tom's fight from the episode before last one was the only thing that was remotely interesting in these past few episdoes.

I couldn't really care less who wins in USA in terms of the Roy family, why are people surprised they will support the idiot candidate if it fits their narrative? Did we really need another proof that they are all bad people?

The best thing they could do was choosing the 4 instead of 5 season way, because it's obvious they have nothing to write about anymore.

Now, don't get me wring, I still find it one of the greatest shows I've seen, but mostly for the first 3 seasons, that's why I am little annoyed that they've become uncreative in terms of writing, because the standards have been so high, and I don't think we are anywhere near these standards set.