Sudden burst of ACL injuries

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think that's the conclusion most of us would have come to.

In other news, FIFA are planning to expand the club world cup.
The CL is going to 8 midweeks next season. Then they'll be a play off round before start of last 16 so schedule going to be even more saturated with midweeks and winners might have to play four more matches than the current schedule.

Club world championship going to 32 teams is truly moronic. When are they even going to play that given internationals go into mid June now? Unless it's just going to replace those world club friendly tournaments you get at end of July/start of August most years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
New research out suggesting that increased schedule combined with intensity of modern game is causing this.
While the study is probably correct from an individual standpoint, I don't think that it's actually correct simply because the way managers use their squads is totally flawed, there is too much game time differences between starters and the end of squad players. Clubs voluntarily run some players to the ground and are then surprised when they are tired or injured. And for big clubs it's a disgraceful habit because in the past decade we have seen a concentration of talent in the clubs that play the most but many of these talents don't actually play.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The CL is going to 8 midweeks next season. Then they'll be a play off round before start of last 16 so schedule going to be even more saturated with midweeks and winners might have to play four more matches than the current schedule.

Club world championship going to 32 teams is truly moronic. When are they even going to play that given internationals go into mid June now? Unless it's just going to replace those world club friendly tournaments you get at end of July/start of August most years.
The schedule for PL teams in Europe from next season onwards will be brutal. Between 2 domestic cups, no winter break, boxing day fixtures, and 2 more added CL games will really put a strain on squads.

While the study is probably correct from an individual standpoint, I don't think that it's actually correct simply because the way managers use their squads is totally flawed, there is too much game time differences between starters and the end of squad players. Clubs voluntarily run some players to the ground and are then surprised when they are tired or injured. And for big clubs it's a disgraceful habit because in the past decade we have seen a concentration of talent in the clubs that play the most but many of these talents don't actually play.
I've said this before but with the added matches and 5 sub rule I think squads are going to have to rethink how they build squads. I wouldn't be surprised if teams opt for depth rather than quality in many situations. Would buying two £50M players or one £100M player be better? It's an interesting thought experiment.

JPRouve

Scout
I've said this before but with the added matches and 5 sub rule I think squads are going to have to rethink how they build squads. I wouldn't be surprised if teams opt for depth rather than quality in many situations. Would buying two £50M players or one £100M player be better? It's an interesting thought experiment.
Teams have depth, they don't want to use it but they have it. Outside of a few clubs that are in huge financial troubles across Europe the vast majority of teams easily have 30 to 40 players between the first and reserve team, they are also generally free to use u18/u19 without restriction.

The reality is that managers shorten their squad selection because they put their own job security over players' health and that attitude has generally been supported by fans who are perfectly happy to claim that players should play through injuries, fatigue or pain. And when a player or media brings that issue up, people turn against them, they don't turn against managers and club's executives. Keep in mind that athletes are routinely given painkillers in order to play, their employees know that they should not be playing but don't really care.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Teams have depth, they don't want to use it but they have it. Outside of a few clubs that are in huge financial troubles across Europe the vast majority of teams easily have 30 to 40 players between the first and reserve team, they are also generally free to use u18/u19 without restriction.

The reality is that managers shorten their squad selection because they put their own job security over players' health and that attitude has generally been supported by fans who are perfectly happy to claim that players should play through injuries, fatigue or pain. And when a player or media brings that issue up, people turn against them, they don't turn against managers and club's executives. Keep in mind that athletes are routinely given painkillers in order to play, their employees know that they should not be playing but don't really care.
I agree they have depth but it looks like they believe the gap between their starters and reserves and the desire for consistency causes them to take that risk. Seems like an incredibly short-sighted gamble that will lead to disaster. Eventually, you will be forced into playing reserves without enough game time, especially next season.

In baseball, all teams impose pitch count limits to reduce the risk of injury to pitchers. I'm amazed you don't see the same thing in football in terms of distance covered. For example, Newcastle playing the same 10 for 5 straight matches while playing two midweek games seems absurd.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree they have depth but it looks like they believe the gap between their starters and reserves and the desire for consistency causes them to take that risk. Seems like an incredibly short-sighted gamble that will lead to disaster. Eventually, you will be forced into playing reserves without enough game time, especially next season.

In baseball, all teams impose pitch count limits to reduce the risk of injury to pitchers. I'm amazed you don't see the same thing in football in terms of distance covered. For example, Newcastle playing the same 10 for 5 straight matches while playing two midweek games seems absurd.
It is shortsighted and people shouldn't make excuses for it, Football fans tend to make way too much excuses for clubs and managers. That issue has existed in Rugby for more than two decades but in the past decade some measures have been tested or applied. In Top 14 there is a limit of consecutive minutes that a player can play before getting a full week of rest, which includes light training instead of full training. Members of national teams can have mandatory games off, at least it's the case for the All Blacks and France. And teams are now more likely to several times per season field a backup and youth players XV in order to rest the starters. All of that most motivated by the increase in injuries.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
This can't be a coincidence at Madrid. There needs to be an investigation into what they're doing. Is it a new pitch? New training ground? Are they all wearing a new type of clear?
Well Courtois injured in training, Militao away from home and now Alaba at Bernabeu. So maybe just bad luck?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If they want to keep increasing the number of games then FIFA need to impose minutes limitations on players

Alternatively players can go on strike to stop this from happening

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well Courtois injured in training, Militao away from home and now Alaba at Bernabeu. So maybe just bad luck?
Plus mileage. I'd also have another look at what Pintus did in the last 2 seasons, and of course we recently sacked the head of medical so that's another one

JogaBonitoRooney

Club World cup in the new format will only be held every 4 years.

I agree still, too many games for both players and fans to keep up. Fans don't need this much football.

Skills

Snitch
I’m absolutely convinced there’s something going on with pitches. More and more artificial turf weaved through the grass. Less give. Studs more likely to catch. That has to be a big factor.
Yeah grippier turfs with high traction boots are huge problem. Plus the way they're being asked to go into challenges (studs down), probably doesn't help too.

GuyfromAustria

Add Neymar to the list. And I'm fairly sure that's not just because of his sister's birthday.

Oranges038

I’m absolutely convinced there’s something going on with pitches. More and more artificial turf weaved through the grass. Less give. Studs more likely to catch. That has to be a big factor.
Could be right, if you add in that the pitches tend to have a bit of give, then you're more likely to get a stud stuck when turning.

I've played on a 3g pitch for over 10 years and early on I made a decision to wear boots with a sole plate designed for artificial surfaces. Even when I was a bit lighter and fitter than I am now I found the boots could get caught just moving around the goals, feet would get stuck and I randomly just fell over quite a few times.

These surfaces can weirdly sticky in certain weather conditions. Have seen a lot of lads wearing the moulded studs for grass get caught just making a change of direction and end up with a minor ligament tear or in a few cases totally mess up their knee. Something that wouldn't have happened on grass.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sam Kerr now with an ACL injury during warm weather training camp.