Sum up the season

PoTMS

I'd say 6/10. Some really good bits sandwiched in between some really bad bits.

Positives
+ Top 4/Champions League
+ Carabao Cup Winners
+ FA Cup Runners Up
+ Great home record

Negatives
- Boring football
- Poor tactics/game management from ETH
- Poor signings on the whole
- Poor away record
- Battered far too many times

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Looong

Very up and down. Some excellent football for two or three months. Then followed by some really bad performances.

AndySmith1990

It's such a post-Fergie United season.

Play brilliantly in occasional bursts
Get absolutely twatted and fall to pieces a few times
Struggle to control games and look lost in possession
Terrible decision making
Profligate in front of goal
Excessive injuries
Somehow still win a trophy despite all of this

We're a fecking conundrum

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
100% behind Ten Haag. Great first season. You can get behind him every time he is interviewed. He obviously knows what he is doing.

Salford_Red83

We’ve had a good year. If you told me at the start I’d the season we’d get 3rd and a trophy I’d have taken it.

It’s a real sickener though seeing City potentially pick up the treble. My summer is fecking ruined
Don't let it mate. Always remember it's not legitimate in spite of the creamfest by the media - the club cheated to get where it is today.

I'm more impressed with teams like Brighton and Villa. Even Brentford. Their achievements in the league are for more impressive, as well as they have operated as clubs.

Pickle85

7/10 for me. We've made clear progress, won a cup and our style of play, while a work in progress, is coming together. ETH's vision for the team and the way he wants them to play seems clear. We've stumbled a few times along the way which was to be expected, but if you'd offered me 3rd, a cup win and another final at the start of the season I'd have bitten your hand off. We just need to make sure that progress continues and sound recruitment is that the heart of that.

PoTMS

7/10 for me. We've made clear progress, won a cup and our style of play, while a work in progress, is coming together. ETH's vision for the team and the way he wants them to play seems clear. We've stumbled a few times along the way which was to be expected, but if you'd offered me 3rd, a cup win and another final at the start of the season I'd have bitten your hand off. We just need to make sure that progress continues and sound recruitment is that the heart of that.
Do you honestly believe that? I'm not so sure. I still don't know what style of football it is we are trying to play. Agreed with the rest.

humdinger

On paper it’s very good. Lots of work needed though, that away record was a disgrace and obviously getting twatted on bad days needs to stop.

The uncertainty of our new owners, potential renewal of DDG and apparently targeting a big money move for Mount worries me greatly though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd say 6/10. Some really good bits sandwiched in between some really bad bits.

Positives
+ Top 4/Champions League
+ Carabao Cup Winners
+ FA Cup Runners Up
+ Great home record

Negatives
- Boring football
- Poor tactics/game management from ETH
- Poor signings on the whole
- Poor away record
- Battered far too many times
Literally all our signings have significantly improved our starting 11 apart from Malacia, and he's also a significant improvement on Telles.

Unless you mean the January singings but then they were both free loan signings that we were forced into because we didn't have enough players and also couldn't spend any money.

90 + 5min

Sign of progress. Lot to work on. Both players and managment. Also club as whole. Our form went down during season but playing 60+ games is not easy.

I give this season 6/10 Cantonas.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bad start - Good middle - not so good end.

Hoping the end part was down to the actually genuinely ridiculous schedule and the middle section of the season where we easily outplayed nearly everyone is what we can expect more of.

PoTMS

Literally all our signings have significantly improved our starting 11 apart from Malacia, and he's also a significant improvement on Telles.

Unless you mean the January singings but then they were both free loan signings that we were forced into because we didn't have enough players and also couldn't spend any money.
I don't agree with that assessment.

Antony, Malacia and Eriksen all range from shite to meh. I'm not sure you can say they are significantly better than Sancho, Telles and Fred. As you said, the loan signings weren't great either. Especially Weghorst who should never play a top flight minute again.

We spent 250m + loan fees. For that money, only Martinez and Casemiro were good enough signings for the standard of Manchester United for me. I don't think you can argue our two transfer windows were good.

Eddy_JukeZ

Good season overall. Went about as well as I expected(I was very confident we'd get Top 4 without Ronaldo). Was expecting us to be a bit better in possession at the season's end, but certain injuries + schedule + De Gea being useless as a distributor probably made that unrealistic.

Expecting a good improvement next season provided our transfer window has 4-5 incomings.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't agree with that assessment. Antony, Malacia and Eriksen are all pretty meh. I'm not sure they are better than Sancho, Telles and Fred.
We spent 250m. For that money, only Martinez and Casemiro were good enough signings for the standard of Manchester United for me.
It might be a window we look back on that was a giant waste of money.

I worry greatly that Casemiro might decline next season, but I hope I'm wrong.

To be fair, I thought Eriksen was playing well prior to his injury(we hadn't lost with him + Case + Bruno in midfield), but since returning, he's looked leggy from the start of every game. He's not good enough to be a main XI option, so hopefully we rectify that. I think Malacia is good as cover(his poor end to the season masks his better form from the start).

Jury's still out on Antony overall, but we do play better with him in the side.

I do think Martinez is a big success and we miss him greatly when he doesn't play.

eire-red

The loss is still a bit fresh to have any positive sentiment. Positive signs, but the areas for improvement are obvious.

If a tactically clueless PE teacher can finish 2nd with Harry/Lindelöf, Fred/McT in the central channel, then surely a top class manager as ETH should do better than 3rd with Varane/Martinez, Casemiro/Fred(Eriksen) operating the central channel.

Nah, ETH did pretty good, 7/10. (Just giving Ole som cred. Never deserved the ridicules.)

tidraKS

8/10

Competitions - overachieved
Tactics - improved
Team spirit - improved
Siginings - Cas, Martinez - super signings, Eriksen - great until injured, Antony - inconsitent, potential, Malacia - overall good
Consistency - Not good

With the players Erik had in disposal, I think he overachieved.

stw2022

7.5/10

Trophy, good FA Cup run. CL qualification. I think if we had better strength in depth and a cohesive attacking line up we'd have stood chance at giving City a closer run in he league.

simplyared

Negatives:
Sancho and Antony - bad development, both big signings and not what we thought they would be.
Crashing out, not going the distance in too many games and unecessarily dropping points. Weak characteristics!
Too dependant on too few players. Without Bruno we're fecked!
Getting thrashed by them scousers.

Poitives: Casemiro and Martinez
The making of Garnacho
ETH

Last edited:

redshaw

Very good overall, a decent points haul in the league and high win ratio across all comps and dealt calmly with a lot of issues. I think he's shown what a good manager he is.

Abusian

Pretty good, but still a lot to do.

I think the manager has been outstanding. He has improved many individual players and developed a strong team ethic. He has dealt with hard problems well and without drama, and has represented the club with dignity. He has more than earned the board’s strongest possible backing in the window.

Fully Fledged

I'd give it an Exceeds Expectations. Third with the league Cup. We have brought back the dominance at OT. We now need to find a way to transfer that dominance on to the road.

bringbackbebe

If at the end of last season, someone gave me a top 4 finish, a trophy (however small that may be), an improved culture and clearing out a good deal of garbage from our squad, I'd have taken it hands down. I'd rate it a 8/10. We lost the finals to the best team in the world managed by the best manager in the world. It's not something I'd hold against our team.

Fr. Todd Unctious

To quote a election campaign slogan in Ireland from 20 years ago.

A Lot Done More to Do

Top 4 and back in the CL was my expectation and we acheived that and more by finishing third along with a cup, European QF, a FA Cup final appearace and finishing ahead of the Scouse Cnuts.

AshRK

Next season will again be hard. 70 to 75 points may not be enough for top 4. Chelsea will defenitely be better than this season. Liverpool would again be back. Newcastle arsenal will be there and there about. If we don't act fast we may be in trouble again.

We have bunch of passengers in our squad who must be binned. Can't rely on them

edgecutter

Don't let yesterday put this season on a downer. The fact we finished top 4 with the absolute mess we were in when the season started, nevermind last year's fiasco with Ole in charge shows it has been a good season.

Tell anyone here after the two defeats in August that we will finish top 4, win a trophy and be in an FA cup final, all of us would have laughed at that prospect and called posters deluded.

Still, there is a lot of work to do. A lot of players to get rid of and new recruits badly needed if we are to continue. Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs won't be this poor again.

Havak

Pokemon master
I have to say it is a 'good' season.

My expectation was that since I felt we hadn't done enough in recruitment, we would finish 5th in a pretty par for the course season playing like we have for a few years (with the odd highlight and still the drop off every few games).

Largely, this was a correct assessment as we have had the big performances but also a few too many collapses. However, I would argue that our usual performance in the games in-between has been largely of a higher standard. We got 75 points, which is always top 4. We can't be listening to anyone, including some United fans, that think we are lucky because Liverpool, Spurs, and Chelsea were all off it at the same time. We got the points and earned our position on merit.

Two finals, winning one of them, is decent enough and gets the monkey off our back of being bottlers. The Sevilla one hurt since we threw it away, but I still believe we've done exceptionally well with this squad, so I have to credit EtH. Who knows what we might have managed with a top striker and goalkeeper this season?

So, I'd say it's at least a 7/10 when I pit it against expectations vs reality. But I think if this was for example, three years into Ten Hag's reign and he had fixed the holes in this squad, then it would be a 5 or 6. We aren't going to be at the level to be disappointed with a season like this for another year or two IMO.

We need the takeover to happen, we need to replace De Gea, sign a striker, add a few other players etc and go again. Again, my expectations are probably lower than most United fans admittedly, but I'd be targeting 80+ points and another trophy next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I honestly did not think we would come top four. Better than expected.

L1nk

A or 8 out of 10

I think the only negative points are of course the somewhat poor away form, the big losses and style of play kind of fluctuating

However… a third place finish, a cup, a cup final, beating Barca in the Europa league are all extremely impressive when you consider it was ETH’s first season, a season disrupted by a winter WC, where we basically went half a season with a match every few days and no time to actually develop much of a playing style on the training ground, where we lost important players like Eriksen, Casemiro, Garnacho, Antony, Martial, Licha etc for large parts of the season due to injury or suspension

Quite frankly I think its a miracle we had the season we did all things considered, that’s why i give it such a high score… I mean the guys having to rely on Weghorst and a kid to help him best the current best team in the world in a cup final, what more do you want from the guy in our circumstances

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Considering our starting position, it has been a season where we see improvement. ETH had a terrible squad to manage and we are doing so much better. A good transfer window and we will see us improve further

Von Mistelroum

Sum up the season as an analogy:

De Gea throws the ball directly to the opposition keeper, Garnacho chases the keeper down, passing to Rashford who rolls it into the net. The whole team run to celebrate but Maguire falls on his face causing a few minutes of embarrassment for all. Ultimately though, we win the match 1-0.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It might be a window we look back on that was a giant waste of money.

I worry greatly that Casemiro might decline next season, but I hope I'm wrong.

To be fair, I thought Eriksen was playing well prior to his injury(we hadn't lost with him + Case + Bruno in midfield), but since returning, he's looked leggy from the start of every game. He's not good enough to be a main XI option, so hopefully we rectify that. I think Malacia is good as cover(his poor end to the season masks his better form from the start).

Jury's still out on Antony overall, but we do play better with him in the side.

I do think Martinez is a big success and we miss him greatly when he doesn't play.
I don't think this is likely as we don't get top four and a cup this year without Casemiro and Eriksen. It's well and good saying we could have used the money we paid for Case to unearth a gem or two but we were utterly fecked without an injection of quality to our midfield there and then. Getting Casemiro for £60m+ and Eriksen for free was as good a surefire boost of quality for less than £100+ as I can think of.

There's no denying we overpaid for Antony, but again I can't blame the manager for taking one look at our Frankenstein's monster of a squad and sending for a little cnut of a competitor who he has worked with before and trusts (same goes for Martinez).

This window should surely be judged on its merits; both in terms of how it sets the squad up for the future (jury's out for sure on that as you suggest) but also how it got us going in the short-term and gave EtH a platform to move us forward (without these signings we were fecked, even with a weak Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs). I get that not signing these players would have meant we'd have allocated the resources on different players, but I doubt there were many better combinations of players open to us for the money we paid.

On topic the season has been good, above expectations for me and many others.

siw2007

Good season overall.

Reached our minimum target of top 4 and got 3rd place.

Two cup finals with 1 victory in the league cup.

Transfers have been decent and along with getting more from the current crop have improved the team.

Need a good transfer window to continue the progress. We have a habit of breaking into the top 4 then falling back down to 6th so we need to make sure we keep improving.

Pickle85

Do you honestly believe that? I'm not so sure. I still don't know what style of football it is we are trying to play. Agreed with the rest.
I guess what I mean is that the players seem surer of their roles and of where each other are on the pitch, so we look more confident at playing in tight spaces and more fluid in passing patterns. Again, not perfect by any stretch, but a decent work in progress.

Hughie77

Did anyone expect 3rd ? Did they expect a cup ? Two finals last 8 in Europa ? No would be my guess after the first 2 games.

I listened to everyone under the sun after Brentford that ETH isn't good enough, called a Small man In a cheap suit or words to that effect by know it all on Radio stations etc..

41 games won !!! City 43 in all Competitions. Give this guy the tools to do the job and see where it goes.. this season is satisfactory with the tools he had , next season he needs more tools to knock down some more walls.. we're Manchester United and need to be on top , roll next season..

nickm

The season wasn't over right til the end which was great, as it showed we were in the mix.

Do we want more from United? Yes. Was it, given recent history, about as good as we could have hoped for? For sure. Has our new manager proven he's the one we've been looking for, for so long? 100%.

Of course it's been a good season.