Sum up the season

JagUTD

So there it is, we end on a disappointment but overall, how would you sum it up?

Are you optimistic about the future or have you seen little to convince you that things have progressed? Have the highs counteracted the lows?

What were your expectations back in Summer 2022? Did we meet them, exceed them or fall short?

For me, I'm cautiously happy. Obviously I am gutted today but I think overall we have had a good season. I'll go into more detail as the thread goes on, if it doesn't bomb, which it might as it's my first thread but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

ExoduS

A disappointment. Some bright spots here and there but overall a disappointment.

foolsgold

If you’d offered me 3rd place in league, a domestic cup and another final, European qtr final knocking out Barca over two legs at the start of the season I’d have been utterly delighted.

It’s been a year of progress, we just need to back it up in the transfer market.

JagUTD

A disappointment. Some bright spots here and there but overall a disappointment.
Oddly I don't think it's a bad thing to be disappointed in this instance. Past seasons have left me feeling empty so to be disappointed with 3rd, a trophy and good cup runs in the other cups is a relief.

JagUTD

If you’d offered me 3rd place in league, a domestic cup and another final, European qtr final knocking out Barca over two legs at the start of the season I’d have been utterly delighted.

It’s been a year of progress, we just need to back it up in the transfer market.
The summer will ultimately define the season. We've had seasons of progress before only to fail to build upon it. We can't do that again.

AshRK

Decent season. But if we are to challenge for the title we need to add some quality. Sancho De gea martial fred Mctominay are not the answer for that

wolvored

B Third a cup and a final runners up against the best team in the world is a brilliant start for TH. If hes backed we can be challenging for the title next season

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It was a little more than ok. However, it wasn't that much more than ok.

Great to win a trophy and get back into the Champions League. That won't count for much unless the people running the club are willing to push on though.

No point in qualifying for the Champions League only to end up back in the Europa League by Christmas.

This season has given us a platform to build from. If we do not do anything with it then it was all much of a muchness.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think you’re being a reet drama queen personally, especially considering your posts last season and your expectations and suddenly your expectations have changed …

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Given the state of the team at the end of last season I gave us 5th. I was expecting a big rebuild. Lots of players have regained their form and/or even improved so that's a positive. Might still be a long way until we truly belong at the top again though. My biggest disappointment this season has been how slow the sale of the club has been going. Also the lack of investment in the winter.

I am optimistic about the future, but I think it's unrealistic to talk about titles yet. Get rid of the players who won't take us further and build upon the quality that we have. Hopefully they'll target talented youngsters as well since we need a succession plan for our older players. I'm confident in ETH to eventually transform this club into what it once was, but it's going to take some time. I hope they give him that.

JagUTD

Decent season. But if we are to challenge for the title we need to add some quality. Sancho De gea martial fred Mctominay are not the answer for that
There was a point, albeit brief, where we were just about in the race. Even the media started talking about is as a real contender which was probably the first time since Sir Alex we've even been mentioned as such.

fergosaurus

He's squeezed the maximum potential out of this squad winning a trophy and finishing 3rd. So overall a very good season given the context.

Lost bear

I’d say my verdict, as I sit here enthroned on my judge’s mercy seat, is the diametric opposite of yours.

A good season, with some deep shadows here and there— but overall a good season. We have achieved much, well beyond my expectations of last year. More confident about the future than at any time since SAF left, though I sprinkle a bouquet of caution into the dish.

AshRK

There was a point, albeit brief, where we were just about in the race. Even the media started talking about is as a real contender which was probably the first time since Sir Alex we've even been mentioned as such.
And that is the most we can reach. The players we have are too unreliable for us to mount a proper title challenge. Like it won't be a surprise if rashford goes back to 10 goals per season next season.

RopersReturn

Did well to clinch 3rd spot, but felt we ran out of options after losing some key players through injury.

Highlights included winning the Carabau cup, beating Barca and reaching the FA cup final. Lows, being eliminated from the Europa after doing very well (see injuries). DDG’s loss of form and that 7-0 drubbing at Anfield.

Flanders Devil

Solid B. The progress is clear from the first 2 games; yet the gap is also clear from the last few games of the season. But all things considered I'm more optimistic than not for the next few years. We have to make the right signings (which everyone knows which the priority positions are) and let go of a few of the squad, although I don't think there is as much there as people thing because you can't turn over 8-10 players in one go.

I think ETH can also improve the existing players 5-10% through tactical and mental aspects of the game. I get the sense we just didn't have the training time in the schedule in the late half of the season to do anymore than just play, rest, tweak.

JagUTD

One thing about this season for me is that for the first time in a very long time, I enjoyed watching our games and looked forward to them. I also found myself enjoying things like the player celebrating little things like a good tackle, a good save or small things like that. Showed a spirit we have missed.

Its all gone Shane Long

A solid B+ for me, just the 7-0 hanging over us forever, go beat them 8-0 next season to take the bad memories away.

Lyng

Given our squad and what last season looked like Id have to say it was overall a very good season. I do wish we could have stopped City from getting the treble but they simply have too good a team.

Cathy Ferguson

• Won a first title since 2017.
  • Finished 3rd in the league.
  • Reached a FA cup final.
  • Improved play and structure.
Overall 8/10 but there were some awful performances such as Sevilla away. Absolutely vital to get a top class striker and CM in the summer and 2 useful squad players (striker and midfield).

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Not that great to be honest 6/10. We were hammered by Liverpool and Manchester city, had a good number of poor displays, and our position in the table didn't reflex how good we were, but how bad other top teams were.

On the bright side, we won a Mickey mouse trophies, got to the finals of the fa cup, had a good home record, Rashford look reborn, casemiro and Martinez surprised how good they were and we got champion league football.

Next season, I would like us to play more progressive football, not be the whipping boys for any top team, show more consistentcy in terms of performance, blood in garnacho and some of our younger players more ibto the 1st team challenge for the title, and be more competitive in the cups that are important.

lsd

The Oracle
Would give it 8/10 but taking a point of for the 7.0. There's just no excuse for that

Korwas

It feels disappointing because of the loss of form. I think there was a total whiplash effect from the Liverpool game because it came just after knocking out Barca, winning the carabao and advancing in the Fa Cup while Liverpool looked weak coming in to the game. I'm concerned that the team seemed to lose all momentum with so much time left of the season. Maybe it was because they felt like the job was done after the title or maybe the were destroyed by the loss? Either way that part really concern me. If we are just going by the results the season is clearly a success. We got rid of Ronaldo, got 3rd, won a title+another final and won against a big European side.

Wilt

Signs of progress.

Desperately need a STRIKER.

Last edited:

The Purley King

Agreed with that despite today’s disappointment.
If I am to keep my positive feeling then we need a clear out of dross over the summer.
We all know the names we just need to get that done.

Chief123

After the Brentford defeat, if you were told we’d finish 3rd, win the league cup and get to the fa cup final you would have thought, no chance!

In that aspect, I think it’s been a brilliant season. Let’s not forget there were Utd fans genuinely thinking we could be near relegation after the Brentford defeat. Even Gary Neville was suggesting we could be down there if Ronaldo left us at that point in the window!

Von Mistelroum

Building season. The manager deserves backing to replace the players who are clearly very much out of their depth here, and to add to the bare bones squad he has.

Next season we have the chance to really build on this if Ten Hag is backed.

JagUTD

After the Brentford defeat, if you were told we’d finish 3rd, win the league cup and get to the fa cup final you would have thought, no chance!

In that aspect, I think it’s been a brilliant season. Let’s not forget there were Utd fans genuinely thinking we could be near relegation after the Brentford defeat. Even Gary Neville was suggesting we could be down there if Ronaldo left us at that point in the window!
Is there not a relegation thread?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
3rd place and a trophy under a new manager, who seems like he knows what he's doing, would've taken your arm off if offered that at the start of the season.

Plenty to build on.

AND - the Glazers are finally fecking off....... maybe.