• Wilfred Zaha

• Douglas Costa

• David Neres

• Suso

• Hirving Lozano

• Steven Bergwijn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fosu-Mens

Those Pogba/Martial/Shaw links are baked into our lopsided system and would be frittered away if the right side didn't function the way it does now.

We're a tiki taka team up our left flank and a counter-attacking team up our right flank. The drifting 'right winger' is a big part of that. Lingard and Mata have great movement and excellent ball retention stats. That's the reason they're there. They free up space on the right side the pitch where we're deliberately trying to create space. On the left, we're deliberatly trying to make things congested because of how technical Pogba/Martial/Shaw are. It's about forcing the other team to play to our strengths on each flank.

As a result of the above, our build-up is skewed up towards the left. But our attacks in the final third are actually split about even between the left/right, thanks to the right sided drifting of the CF and the overlapping of the RB (notice that, by contrast, the LB is not asked to do as much overlapping).

Being unbablanced is not a bad thing. We won both our last two CLs playing that way.

If you took Lingard/Mata out, it would have the knock-on effect of weakening the left... unless we replaced Lingard/Mata with a 'right sided AM' who was at similarly good at recycling the ball and finding pockets of space between opposition CB and DM. Incidentally, that's not Sanchez/Rashford/Martial's game, which is why none of those three have been played on the right.
Agree, but this right sided AM should be better on the ball than Lingard, and able to hold his own on defense unlike Mata.

The expensive options for this type of players are; Dybala and to some degree Sancho and Zaniolo.
The medium prized option: Fekir.
The cheap options are: Suso and Sarabia.

neilv93

If we have the money then Sancho.

If we don't because we are spending on other positions then Suso represents incredible value due to his release clause.
Agreed. Suso is also homegrown which will end up counting for a lot post-Brexit when work permits are harder to obtain and PL squads require more for the HG quota.

Sancho and Dybala 100% my top two targets (in that order) if the money is there but Suso if not. Cheap alternative gap-filler that would allow us to prioritise other areas.

Macedonian Red

What about Ziyech? Good dribler and he has a good stats this season, 17 goals and 13 assists. He remainds me of Mahrez but also of Di Maria.

Not my first choice but his prize is much lower than Sancho's.

Last edited by a moderator:

onemanarmy

What about Ziyech? Good dribler and he has a good stats this season, 17 goals and 13 assists. He remainds me of Mahrez but also of Di Maria.

Not good enough and he's not a right winger.

Hawks2008

Sancho is the ideal option, not sure he wants to leave though. I like Pepe too.

Fracture90

Lille coach going around whoring Pepe recently, linking him with red jersey club that has got ageing wingers...from the sound of it, it's ought to be Bayern.

deadrevelz

My problem with buying those kind of players is that you're gambling on a player that has stagnated or on a downward trajectory. Plus you're helping out the big club who are your rivals in the marketplace for the best talents. It's why I don't like the buying of Di Maria, the rumor of Suarez, and the suggestion of Malcom.

Don't let those rival clubs off by giving them an escape route for their failed transfers. Nobody does the same for us.
Totally agree. Those types of players almost never work out either. They lose their hunger, they feel like it's a step down or sideways at best and they may have issues which their current club are only aware of like fitness, mentality, personal problems. They also cost a massive amount and potentially give a now cash rich rival club the means to go out and fill the gap with a talented young hungry player.

NoPace

If we could pull it off, I feel like the move is to sell off Sanchez and Fred, let Mata go and sign Ziyech, a young hardworking mobile CM to backup Herrera and a proper right winger like Sancho. We'd have options and not be completely screwed in terms of central creativity if Pogna misses a game.

Rashford/Martial/Lukaku for the LW and 9 positions, Sancho on the right with Ziyech backing up both him and Pogba and at times joining Pogba in central midfield when we want to go full attacking. Lingard gets the other minutes in attack:

Martial/(Lingard)--Rashford(Lukaku)-Sancho(Ziyech)
--------------Pogba(Ziyech)------Herrera(CM)--------------------
---------------------------Matic(Mctominay)---------------------------

Add a CB and an RB and we're talking 5 players in but only Sancho and maybe the CB break the bank. Ziyech won't be cheap but nothing insane either. I think it's reasonable to expect the club to be able to sign a starting RB in his mid-20s who can hold the fort until Dalot can be first choice and a promising cheap young CM like Arsenal got with Guendouzi or even a tackler from Ligue 1 since they seem to go for reasonable fees (Kante, Gueye, even Mendy ain't terrible)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Not sure they could turn down 50-60 especially if they go down.

There was always talk of a buy back clause but not sure if that was true.

All Spurs money is in the new stadium so I think they might have briefed the press that it was a ridiculous amount to save face for not having the money available at the time.
60 million and throw around 250k in wages.

Sanchez - Lukaku - Zaha... Just frightening. And not in a good way.

Patrick08

Use the money to get Erikseyn, Play him on the right for a season, or after that try a loan for a winger while investing in other more urgent areas. Even if Lukaku can partly fill the right side then it could work, but midfield needs more creativity and threat from other areas other than pogba.

stevoc

We have to sign a top winger this summer, we can't go into 6th season in a row without a proper right winger.

Right back as well, we've basically been operating with little or no attack from our right side for years now until Ole came.

Scholsey2004

I like pepe and neres but Sancho by a country mile. He could be this generations Rooney for us. You just know he'd hit it off like a house on fire with the likes of pogba, lingard, rashford et al as well.

Silas

Use the money to get Erikseyn, Play him on the right for a season, or after that try a loan for a winger while investing in other more urgent areas. Even if Lukaku can partly fill the right side then it could work, but midfield needs more creativity and threat from other areas other than pogba.
RW is easily the most urgent area.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Has to be Sancho. 120 million i think it will take.

Joao Felix not in the poll. He could slot in on the RW.

Andersons Dietician

if Dembele or Sancho are impossible then surely the next one down has to be Chiesa, every time I see him he is causing havoc scoring goals or assisting, looks like a brilliant player but I know Fiorentina said that if they were to sell him there would likely be riots so I’d imagine he’d cost a lot to get out of there.

Seems very direct and best of all composure in the final 3rd.

manunited1919

What about giving more opportunity to Chong or some of our other reserves?
We might end up buying someone like Douglas Costa to be a place-holder for Chong, until he develops.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We should only go for Douglas Costa only if we can't get Sancho this summer after moving heaven and earth and we shouldn't pay anything more than 60 mil. Would love if we could just swap Sanchez for him directly

Rozski

I don't think our attack is as bad as the Caf makes out. Even without a new winger, I think we're okay.

But Fulham are getting relegated, so a punt on Sessegnon wouldn't be the worst gamble. His ceiling is very high.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe more if a prospect than we had in mind for the position but considering they will be getting relegated I’m sure he would be relatively cheap for the potential reward. And could possibly be LB cover or offer a very attacking option from that position in games we expect to dominate.

Kapardin

For some reason, there doesn't seem to be a stand-up RW in the market that you can look to and say, "Yeah, he would be mint for us". Of course, I'm no professional scout, but spotting WC players in other positions, available or not, seems much easier.

Quiet interested in who we get actually. Totally in the dark about this.

AkaAkuma

For some reason, there doesn't seem to be a stand-up RW in the market that you can look to and say, "Yeah, he would be mint for us". Of course, I'm no professional scout, but spotting WC players in other positions, available or not, seems much easier.

Quiet interested in who we get actually. Totally in the dark about this.
Agreed, a lot of the players in the poll are left wingers who can do a job on the right.

People talk up Chiesa, but his highlights appear to be mostly from the left, with him dropping a level on the right.

For me the Douglas Costa links seem the most realistic.

davidmichael

As much as I love Mata I’d let him go this summer which frees up £150K a week in wages and sign Sancho so going forward our right sided options would be Sancho, Lingard and Chong and meaning our right side is sorted attack wise for the next decade.

ArjenIsM3

Has to be Sancho. 120 million i think it will take.

Joao Felix not in the poll. He could slot in on the RW.
He's obviously not a RW. He always plays through the middle and is pretty slow. Would be a similar story to Mata's. Buying a great number ten only to shunt him out to the wing and watch him fail.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lille coach going around whoring Pepe recently, linking him with red jersey club that has got ageing wingers...from the sound of it, it's ought to be Bayern.
He isn't whoring him around, Bayern reportedly contacted Lille the same week and it was one of the main news. And he was answering a question about Pépé whether Pépé should target an intermediary club. By the way Lille play in red.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We have to sign a top winger this summer, we can't go into 6th season in a row without a proper right winger.

Right back as well, we've basically been operating with little or no attack from our right side for years now until Ole came.
Just imagine, if we have a left and a right side to attack constantly! We really have to buy a class RW this summer

Fosu-Mens

Sancho will stay for another season, unless we pay more than Dembele cost, something we should not do.

If we are continuing to play the way we do, with the RW going inside and act similar as a playmaker there are two good and relatively cheap options:
Sanabria: Usually plays as a CAM, but can play on the right and left, left footed, 8 goals and 9 assists this year in La Liga. Clause £16m.
Suso: Plays on the right, good set piece taker (no more corners from Young and Shaw), can stay wide and go centrally. Clause £33m.

Both players can be sold for the same price or more if they are not given stupid wages, and would be an improvement on the current RWs and can step in for Pogba if needed. Personally i would sign both and sell Lukaku and Sanchez. And they would still be useful next year if we sign Sancho.

Fracture90

He isn't whoring him around, Bayern reportedly contacted Lille the same week and it was one of the main news. And he was answering a question about Pépé whether Pépé should target an intermediary club. By the way Lille play in red.
Let me rephrase then, he was pimping him around :lol:

Of course I'm aware they play in red but he pretty much hinted that he's overgrown his current club.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Since there's some Eredivisie shouts in the poll, I'd add Calvin Stengs. I think he'smore talented than Bergwijn, Neres and Lozano. He had a terrible injury at the start of what should've been his break out season. Now he's back and just oozes class. It might be the hair that reminds me of Leroy Sane, but his way of dribbling is similar as well.

Cant show any youtube stuff from my workphone, but Calvin Stengs, google it.

edit: Found a computer, what do you know.

this is him in a nutshell.

Not the most impressive compilation ever made I admit.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Let me rephrase then, he was pimping him around :lol:

Of course I'm aware they play in red but he pretty much hinted that he's overgrown his current club.
That's not a hint it's a fact, Pépé could have left this summer for a CL club but declined. He didn't and doesn't need to pimp him around.

Fracture90

That's not a hint it's a fact, Pépé could have left this summer for a CL club but declined. He didn't and doesn't need to pimp him around.
His club coach saying to the press he has pretty much overgrown his current club and that he should be heading to the CL club next (despite the fact that by the look of it Lille will be in the CL next season) cannot be interpreted as him pimping Pepe around? All that amid heavy having interest from top clubs all throughout the Europe…

JPRouve

Scout
His club coach saying to the press he has pretty much overgrown his current club and that he should be heading to the CL club next (despite the fact that by the look of it Lille will be in the CL next season) cannot be interpreted as him pimping Pepe around? All that amid heavy having interest from top clubs all throughout the Europe…
No, he was asked whether Pépé needed to join an intermediary club before joining top clubs and he answered that question. If he was talking about it without being asked then you could say that he is pimpimg him around.

Fracture90

No, he was asked whether Pépé needed to join an intermediary club before joining top clubs and he answered that question. If he was talking about it without being asked then you could say that he is pimpimg him around.
Man you're such a funkiller, knight in shiny armor is such a tedious role to play. Let people have fun and interpret the way they want for fun.

JPRouve

Scout
Man you're such a funkiller, knight in shiny armor is such a tedious role to play. Let people have fun and interpret the way they want for fun.
Knight in shiny armor.:lol:

Fracture90

Knight in shiny armor.:lol:
Well irrelevant of the question he was asked, he stated that his player must be going to a CL side. That means a select few can afford to buy him that play in the CL, so yes he was pimping him around. Basically, "make us an offer we can't refuse you filthy rich few".Mistake was maybe in not adding "elite clientele" whoring/pimping :D

JPRouve

Scout
Well irrelevant of the question he was asked, he stated that his player must be going to a CL side. That means a select few can afford to buy him that play in the CL, so yes he was pimping him around. Basically, "make us an offer we can't refuse you filthy rich few".Mistake was maybe in not adding "elite clientele" whoring/pimping :D
He was asked a two part question, the journalist started by saying that Pépé was unlikely to stay this summer and then asked whether Pépé had the ability to improve and play for the best teams, Galtier answered with the CL part and the idea that Pépé was good enough to make the jump and had the correct attitude, the second part of the question was about where he would fit, which league.

From that you can draw the conclusion that you want.

Womp

idiot
Honestly don't think we will sign one. If we do, Pepe or Sancho would be my options.

RasTiaGba

Remember Mkhitaryan was a top player at Dortmund and he flopped here

Signing Sancho this summer when he is still raw means he might need to be loaned back to Germany for a season.

He could easily do a Januzaj if we 'throw him in' to the big games or he might do an Mbappe

Fracture90

He was asked a two part question, the journalist started by saying that Pépé was unlikely to stay this summer and then asked whether Pépé had the ability to improve and play for the best teams, Galtier answered with the CL part and the idea that Pépé was good enough to make the jump and had the correct attitude, the second part of the question was about where he would fit, which league.

From that you can draw the conclusion that you want.
Isn't that the exact reason why we're having this discussion buddy?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Before Wednesday I would have voted for Zaha (never should have been sold in the first place), but seeing as he played on the left wing against us I have changed my mind. Sancho is the obvious choice, mind you, if we are thinking of someone young then I wouldn't mind seeing Chong given a proper chance as signing someone like Sancho could stunt his development...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Before Wednesday I would have voted for Zaha (never should have been sold in the first place), but seeing as he played on the left wing against us I have changed my mind. Sancho is the obvious choice, mind you, if we are thinking of someone young then I wouldn't mind seeing Chong given a proper chance as signing someone like Sancho could stunt his development...
Agree with this - we might well have a Sancho already on the books. The club will be able to make that decision. Failing that he is raw but I agree with earlier posts that Hudson-Odoi looks like a potential star too