Sunday Supplement (2018 and Beyond)

Shark

@NotShark
I actually feel "Rich man's Stoke" is a very fair assessment of our current style. In some games we do rise above it, sure, but generally speaking, that where we currently are. Sure some people would take offence in that. But if i'm honest i would love for MU to show more ambition, zest in attack even if that meant getting less points.
Since Mourinho came we have not lost at Anfield, but those dire 0-0's for me are more embarrassing than most of our losses there under SAF.
Are you actually serious?

Djemba-Djemba

I actually feel "Rich man's Stoke" is a very fair assessment of our current style. In some games we do rise above it, sure, but generally speaking, that where we currently are. Sure some people would take offence in that. But if i'm honest i would love for MU to show more ambition, zest in attack even if that meant getting less points.
Since Mourinho came we have not lost at Anfield, but those dire 0-0's for me are more embarrassing than most of our losses there under SAF.
We were regularly complete shit at Anfield under Fergie. So I don't know where you're getting that from. We tended to either play badly and lose or play badly and win.

Calling us a rich man's stoke is ludicrous.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Volume isn't great but this from the fat Duncan Castles is just :houllier::lol: stuff.

Nero

I thinks he's from Alderley Edge ( v much posher than Stockport ), but will often pass himself off as a Stockport County fan in order to gain some form of common man credibility. On one Sunday Supplement many years ago he said he supported both UTD & City, which gives you some idea of what a disingenuous poser he is.
BTW, I'm from Stockport, via Hattersley, so I've lived behind enemy lines for many years but there still are some pockets of resistance in the local area; it's like what they say about the rat population: "you're never five feet away from one" ( this is actually what the Romiley native Jason Manford said about UTD supporters living in Manchester.)
Nice to come across a fellow resistance member.

JohnnyKills

I think there's definitely a fear of United becoming No.1 again. If you supported any other club, it must have been rubbish watching Fergie hoover up those titles in the 90s and 00s. I'm sure the ABUs don't want to go back to that, hence why they've been so vitriolic during the Sanchez saga.

But some of the coverage recently, not just of the Sanchez situation, has been laughable. City have been propelled from dire mediocrity by the most outrageous good fortune, and their own version of Willy Wonka is a vile oil regime which laughs in the face of democracy and human rights, and completely rejects the LGBT community - which football is currently trying to so hard to promote. City have used that good fortune to inflate the transfer market and bully less fortunate teams for the last decade. It's all the bad aspects of modern football, crystallised into one club.

Instead of being criticised for it, they're lauded as some kind of paragon of virtue, the plucky underdog fighting the good fight. Meanwhile United, despite making their own money (however crass some of their commercial activities may be) and regularly promoting young players to the first team, are depicted as the evil overlord. It's absolutely absurd and, to be honest, it tells you a lot about the mentality of this country.

Well I say feck em. It might take a few years, but United will eventually get back at No.1 again, and all these sad dictatorship-apologists can stew in their own bitterness.

Eire Red United

I think there's definitely a fear of United becoming No.1 again. If you supported any other club, it must have been rubbish watching Fergie hoover up those titles in the 90s and 00s. I'm sure the ABUs don't want to go back to that, hence why they've been so vitriolic during the Sanchez saga.

But some of the coverage recently, not just of the Sanchez situation, has been laughable. City have been propelled from dire mediocrity by the most outrageous good fortune, and their own version of Willy Wonka is a vile oil regime which laughs in the face of democracy and human rights, and completely rejects the LGBT community - which football is currently trying to so hard to promote. City have used that good fortune to inflate the transfer market and bully less fortunate teams for the last decade. It's all the bad aspects of modern football, crystallised into one club.

Instead of being criticised for it, they're lauded as some kind of paragon of virtue, the plucky underdog fighting the good fight. Meanwhile United, despite making their own money (however crass some of their commercial activities may be) and regularly promoting young players to the first team, are depicted as the evil overlord. It's absolutely absurd and, to be honest, it tells you a lot about the mentality of this country.

Well I say feck em. It might take a few years, but United will eventually get back at No.1 again, and all these sad dictatorship-apologists can stew in their own bitterness.
Well said chap. Like someone said on here the other day, it’ll be a sad sad day if everyone else starts hating City and thinking it would be nice if United won a title.

Speedicut75

I enjoyed reading that. Sounds all a bit heretical in today's climate.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
One thing that almost everyone is overlooking when they're baffled as to why Sanchez would choose us over City given the difference in playing styles is couldn't Sanchez be the player that gives Mourinho the confidence to be more expansive?

We don't play a negative brand of football we're just limited by the attacking players we have, Lukaku isn't an Aguero, Mata isn't a Silva/De Bruyne/Ozil, Martial/Rashford are still young and thus inconsistent so aren't at the same level as a Sanchez/Hazard/Salah. It's little wonder in the big games that Jose has up till now gone with a defensive approach when going to the likes of Anfield, if we go there next season with Pogba, Lukaku, Martial And Sanchez and still park the bus then by all means get the pitch forks out

Silver

Well said. Spot on. The hypocrisy around the coverage of the two clubs has become ridiculous. I don't mind the ABU stuff - it actually reminds me of the SAF years so I know we're becoming more of a threat. But the revisionist bullshit being peddled by Holt in this segment is ridiculous on another level. He claims United fans deserve better yet goes on praise city for losing to Liverpool and castigating us for the draw. I'm a United fan. I'll take a draw at Anfield over a loss any day. We had many similar games under SAF that won us titles. There's absolutely no rational objectivity in Holt's argument.

Same goes for his claim that we're not attractive to players anymore... We got lukaku over Chelsea. We got Matic from Chelsea. Pogba etc etc. Ridiculous. But anyway let the ABU narrative grow. It just means we're regaining that threatening aura again.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
One of these twonks recently wrote and published an entire article about Russian WC media facilities not being to his' & colleagues' satisfaction. Apart from the entitlement, why would any reader/fan be interested or care?

haram

The fecking fool thinks we are 12 points behind because we played a defensive game at Liverpool.

We were supposed to blow the game open so Liverpool’s 3/4 man midfield could run riot against our 2? If Klopp wanted the game to open up why did he not take out a CM during the game? Because he didn’t mind a draw either.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The fecking fool thinks we are 12 points behind because we played a defensive game at Liverpool.
Is it any wonder that some Cafites have adopted this kind of mindset in recent months?:

"We might have beaten Chelsea 47-0 but we shouldn't laugh as we're still one place beneath them."

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Original stuff. Fat Duncan Castles because he's defending United.
Not sure why the non-United fans are getting such a hump particularly over some criticism of smug faced journalists.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I agree with their assertion that Silva might have started believing his own hype. I think he did a decent job at Hull under some tough circumstances. For somebody who hasn't managed in the Premier League for a full season, he was a little over hyped.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You sir are a poet.
Your last paragraph is incredible.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
You should go support the rich mans Espanyol

CA1

A mate went to school with Oliver Holt. He did used to go and watch Stockport but he was also a Liverpool supporter.

That Neil Ashton is a weird bloke. His dislike of Mourinho is very strong. He must have wound him up at some point.

Most of these journalists are chancers. The worst out there is Miguel Delaney who is absolutely bluffing a career out for himself. And there's something to be slightly admired about that :lol:. It's like he's doing a documentary and will turn around and say "look, that's all you have to do to become a top sports journalist"

He literally makes up transfer stories, just re-hashes stories based on reliable exclusives from others and he manages to get his mug on programmes like this and BBC earlier today.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
A mate went to school with Oliver Holt. He did used to go and watch Stockport but he was also a Liverpool supporter.

That Neil Ashton is a weird bloke. His dislike of Mourinho is very strong. He must have wound him up at some point.

Most of these journalists are chancers. The worst out there is Miguel Delaney who is absolutely bluffing a career out for himself. And there's something to be slightly admired about that :lol:. It's like he's doing a documentary and will turn around and say "look, that's all you have to do to become a top sports journalist"

He literally makes up transfer stories, just re-hashes stories based on reliable exclusives from others and he manages to get his mug on programmes like this and BBC earlier today.
He also cant speak when he is on tv

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Ashton and Mourinho may have had a row when Mourinho was at Chelsea. His article about Sanchez on Friday was shithouse.

Ananke

Listening to Holt was tough...Custis defends United very well (seems odd to me, usually he's on the other side?). I guess Holt's points about United summed up are:

1. United play boring football
2. United don't show ambition...
3. United don't show ambition in the 'biggest games'.
4. United don't show ambition in their playing style.

Whilst Custis was saying we're 2nd in the League, we've took on City to buy Sanchez, and we've had many games this season where we've scored 4 goals. How is that lack of ambition? Our playing style might not be continuously aggressive and exciting but we aren't where we are through sheer luck. Mourinho has us play smart, he plays the season not the game.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Listening to Holt was tough...Custis defends United very well (seems odd to me, usually he's on the other side?). I guess Holt's points about United summed up are:

1. United play boring football
2. United don't show ambition...
3. United don't show ambition in the 'biggest games'.
4. United don't show ambition in their playing style.

Whilst Custis was saying we're 2nd in the League, we've took on City to buy Sanchez, and we've had many games this season where we've scored 4 goals. How is that lack of ambition? Our playing style might not be continuously aggressive and exciting but we aren't where we are through sheer luck. Mourinho has us play smart, he plays the season not the game.
How can you have 'ambition' in the biggest games or playing style?

If anything, our playing style is suited to European competition so that shows ambition to win the CL.

Chelsea have a classical manager as well; and are actually less attacking than us; yet no one gave a monkeys last season when they were winning the league.

These media people are not worth listening to; they are on a constant WUM.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just to touch on Ollie’s point about the game at Anfield, do any of you wish you’d had more of a go at us that day? Spurs showed the following week just how easy it can be to exploit the space we leave between defence and midfield, and we were in a poor run of form at that time.

Maybe the lack of midfield options meant that Mourinho was limited with what he could do, but I think that sort of game would’ve been perfect for Lingard/Rashford on the counter. I think both came on as subs?

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Just to touch on Ollie’s point about the game at Anfield, do any of you wish you’d had more of a go at us that day? Spurs showed the following week just how easy it can be to exploit the space we leave between defence and midfield, and we were in a poor run of form at that time.

Maybe the lack of midfield options meant that Mourinho was limited with what he could do, but I think that sort of game would’ve been perfect for Lingard/Rashford on the counter. I think both came on as subs?
People are quick to have a go at United but that game Liverpool were just as defensive, they didn't play their usual pressing style thus were just as culpable as United for a terrible game.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
People are quick to have a go at United but that game Liverpool were just as defensive, they didn't play their usual pressing style thus were just as culpable as United for a terrible game.
I don’t think we were defensive but I think Klopp was hesitant with making an attacking change, maybe because our form was so questionable and a defeat would’ve been more damaging psychologically?

United didn’t look like they were winning that game whilst we had a man advantage in midfield.

Weren’t you level on points with City going into that game?

Djemba-Djemba

I don’t think we were defensive but I think Klopp was hesitant with making an attacking change, maybe because our form was so questionable and a defeat would’ve been more damaging psychologically?

United didn’t look like they were winning that game whilst we had a man advantage in midfield.

Weren’t you level on points with City going into that game?
I have no problem with going to Anfield and playing defensively and making sure that we at least get a point. I just thought we also played really poorly on the day, our passing was appalling. Mkhitaryan was terrible, we were missing Pogba and so there was no creativity.

Us not winning the league this season won't hinge on us getting a 0-0 at Anfield.

I think in the reverse fixture at Old Trafford you'll see a much more attacking Utd.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have no problem with going to Anfield and playing defensively and making sure that we at least get a point. I just thought we also played really poorly on the day, our passing was appalling. Mkhitaryan was terrible, we were missing Pogba and so there was no creativity.

Us not winning the league this season won't hinge on us getting a 0-0 at Anfield.

I think in the reverse fixture at Old Trafford you'll see a much more attacking Utd.
Surely if we are so bad that 0-0 against us is why Liverpool won't win the league either.

AR87

This. Sometimes players don't execute the manager's instructions properly. Look at how attacked on the counter and pressed high at times against Arsenal. That's how you play "defensively" but still carry a significant goal threat.

Mourinho is a pragmatist. He's never going to go to Anfield or the Etihad or Stamford Bridge and throw caution completely to the wind, but the idea he wants us to just sit in our own half, lose possession with pointless or terrible passes and provide no service for Lukaku is absurd.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Well said and hits the nail on the head.

ericking

Neil Custis is very much a Mourinho and a Mancini fanboy. I doubt he has any particular allegiance to Utd or City.

He is prone to being deliberately antagonistic, like most of the Sunday Supplement guests. I think it is easy to dismiss a lot of the antagonistic ones because their bias is so overt. Some like Ashton, are a bit more subtle on the show (although not in their writing).

Reactions: SteveJ

JohnnyKills

I think most of us would have preferred a more attacking display from United. But it looks a good result after the City game, doesn't it?

Hopefully with Sanchez we'll change our approach in big games. If City are going to win practically every game, it means draws away from home against the top teams aren't good results any more.

JohnnyKills

I can assure that 90% of them are chancers mate. Completely talking out of their arse, and don't have any contacts.

Di Marzio has shown our rabble up for the clueless charlatans they are.

Foxbatt

We went to Chelsea and attacked and lost. If Jose had played like we did at Liverpool we would have got a point. Without Pogba we would have lost at Liverpool if we had attacked more. Sure, the players were dire too but the tactics were good. We had a few chances to score too.
Why is that Liverpool there for taking when we were without Pogba while this Liverpool that started the match against City is not there for the taking when they did not even have Countinhio in the side against City?