Sunday Times: Mbappe wants to leave PSG at the end of the season

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
A bit like pogbas situation unless Juve or PSG step up. I would take Haaland over Mbappe. We are pretty stacked on the wings and I think Haaland is something we don’t have. Mbappe is far better than anyone we have on the wings.... . I’d love both but I think we will probably get neither.
With Pogba his price would be more affordable (say around 50-60m), as he is entering last year of his contract too. While Haaland has a buy out clause of around 80m? Still quite large amount of money, but still easily affordable to some top teams (including us, City, PSG etc). But with Mbappe, bear in mind last time he went to PSG for around 180m, and he is still very young, I am not sure they would even entertain to let him for any much less, amid COVID market.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Who would people prefer, Halland or Mbappe?
Mbappe. He is clearly more talented and scored similar amount of goals (+assists), and he doesn't have a Raiola.
Its abit like choosing between Henry or Ruud in the beginning of their peak years.

If we buy Haaland, we will have the best striker in the world, for 3 years, then he will be off to Real.
If we buy Mbappe, we will give him no.7 Jersey, convinced him to stay longer as he idolise Ronaldo. Since he is French I am sure he knows who Cantona is too. He could be legend here.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mbappe as he suits the pacey, counter attacking style that Ole wants to play but with Martial being so horribly out of form it’s not working as it should.

A front three of Greenwood on the right, Mbappe through the middle and Rashford from the left with Fernandes and Pogba behind is most likely the best attacking force in world football although it’d mean signing a pure out and out defensive midfielder too.
If we have Mbappe I'd definitely play him on the right, he is equally as effective there as in middle..

Raredaredevil

Yeah, they only had to break the record for biggest financial losses in world football (a record they still own) as well as double-salary their players (above and below board) and a host of other extremely shady illegal accounting to get the title of "well-run club".

Covid has helped them as the empty seats are like home fans.
It's City. They can even blatantly get away with breaking FFP rules by overturning the biggest European governing body football organization's ban and play in their competition. Money talks. Whatever shady stuff they do behind the scene doesn't take away the fact they are a well run club from top to bottom with their footballing infrastructure and a competent board who has planned their club way before Pep's arrival.

gajender

It's City. They can even blatantly get away with breaking FFP rules by overturning the biggest European governing body football organization's ban and play in their competition. Money talks. Whatever shady stuff they do behind the scene doesn't take away the fact they are a well run club from top to bottom with their footballing infrastructure and a competent board who has planned their club way before Pep's arrival.
How many times this myth needs to be busted, they planned jack shit before for Pep's arrival otherwise they won't have to overhaul their complete squad just to make it work.

RUCK4444

How many times this myth needs to be busted, they planned jack shit before for Pep's arrival otherwise they won't have to overhaul their complete squad just to make it work.
They structured pretty much their entire back room staff and had them working there before he arrived didn’t they?

gajender

They structured pretty much their entire back room staff and had them working there before he arrived didn’t they?
And still ended up requiring to overhaul the complete playing personnel to make it work for Pep which I suppose was the most critical part of being prepared for Pep's arrival give him the best environment for succeeding at City which they failed to honest.

How many defenders has he gone through? If they don’t work, they just buy more. I’m not sure the argument that they replaced players can be used to say they weren’t preparing for him.

UpWithRivers

Both him and Neymar contracts up in 2022. That could fk them up. If they ever want to leave then the only way out of there is to run down their contracts cos I dont think anyone can stump up 200 mill these days. Maybe City. We should have a word with their agents. Get them both on a free next year and Haaland for 80. Sorted
Neymar---Haaland-----Mbappe. I think it could work.

Glorio

Both him and Neymar contracts up in 2022. That could fk them up. If they ever want to leave then the only way out of there is to run down their contracts cos I dont think anyone can stump up 200 mill these days. Maybe City. We should have a word with their agents. Get them both on a free next year and Haaland for 80. Sorted
Neymar?? Even in this hypothetical fantasy, please no

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I would love that we at least try to sign him. Unlike Haaland, Mbappe is type of player who can win you games on his own.

Having said that, no chance that we even will try. And i doubt that any club will. He is just too expensive for any club.

davidmichael

If we have Mbappe I'd definitely play him on the right, he is equally as effective there as in middle..
Greenwood and Mbappe could be interchanged between right and the middle if played together, only thought through the middle because of Martial looking so bad at the moment and I don’t think either Greenwood or Mbappe miss the chances or play so lazily as Martial has lately.

cyberman

I would love that we at least try to sign him. Unlike Haaland, Mbappe is type of player who can win you games on his own.

Having said that, no chance that we even will try. And i doubt that any club will. He is just too expensive for any club.
But Mbappe has been getting slightly worse every season. I was having a discussion elsewhere with PSG fans and they were sayibg he eas getting criticised for having his head elsewhere and has developed a bad habit of not making runs without the ball.
I think this oh my God its Mbappe line of thinking is 18 months out of date

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he's available, might as well go for him than Sancho.
I'd still prefer Haaland though if it's possible.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But Mbappe has been getting slightly worse every season. I was having a discussion elsewhere with PSG fans and they were sayibg he eas getting criticised for having his head elsewhere and has developed a bad habit of not making runs without the ball.
He just needs a new challenge i think.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
A lot of PSG fans are kinda ridiculous regarding Mbappé. Primarily because he's not a very likeable player, and also because he failed to deliver in a couple of CL games. Mbappé isn't getting worse, he's just at a point in his career when he needs to figure out what his real role on a pitch is. He'd like to be a complete player like Neymar but just doesn't have the abililty. Give him a coach that will tell him that he needs to be like a super Son (let hope Pochettino can), or play more like Henry and he'll be back to insane displays of talent.

Qatar would rather burn PSG's stadium to the ground than sell Mbappé to City.

Last edited:

DanClancy

With Barca's problems I reckon Neymar is going to stay at PSG. One more contract there, then he might finish his career there or go back to Brazil for a year or two.

Even Mbappe is no longer a certainty to leave like he was 12 months ago. I think it's pretty much even chances of his next contract being at PSG or Real, with a slight chance of City.
Don't see Mbappe at City, leaving PSG for City would be a strange move.

Walters_19_MuFc

I've always thought Mbappe is better on the wing. Loved him on the right in the world cup. Absolutely frightening.

With his latest comments, I'd be throwing a lot of money at PSG if I was Ole. We'd be killing two birds with one stone, as he can play on the right and up top.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think he will challenge PSG reaching the last year of his contract. Nor do I think that any club will challenge PSG by putting them in that situation, so he either renew or leave this summer.
I also thought that he would renew with some kind of commitment to let him leave in the future, but if he wants to go he has to do it now.
From what I have read the starting price is 150 million. I imagine that Madrid's offer will consist of money, not wanted players and perhaps some sacrifice.
Expect us to offer Vinicius+€70/80M if it can be done

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Expect us to offer Vinicius+€70/80M if it can be done
I would give Vini one more year. I am too fond of him. I shouldn't but he has tried hard and I need to see him with another coach to finish convincing me,
although as you say it has been rumored that they wanted Vini, but do they really want him? And Casemiro or Varane?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What on earth are you valuing Vinicius at???

That suggestion would be mocked in a way only the French can mock
Leonardo is their director and he's a huuuuge fan of Vini. Thinks he's the next neymar. With anyone else yeah, no way they'd value him that much

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I would give Vini one more year. I am too fond of him. I shouldn't but he has tried hard and I need to see him with another coach to finish convincing me,
although as you say it has been rumored that they wanted Vini, but do they really want him? And Casemiro or Varane?
Leonardo really wants him yeah. And sorry but if he's the way we get Mbappé, he has to go.

Casemiro+Vini might do it but i don't we can afford that. They don't need Varane. Though they might want him anyways

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Leonardo really wants him yeah. And sorry but if he's the way we get Mbappé, he has to go.

Casemiro+Vini might do it but i don't we can afford that. They don't need Varane. Though they might want him anyways
Of course it will have to be in that way, although I feel sorry for him.
But ... why is he such a fan?.
The new Neymar seems excessive.
Does he see something that we do not see? It all seems too easy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of course it will have to be in that way, although I feel sorry for him.
But ... why is he such a fan?.
The new Neymar seems excessive.
Does he see something that we do not see? It all seems too easy.
I have no idea, but they're both Brazilians and Leonardo knows more about him than we do

NoPace

A lot of PSG fans are kinda ridiculous regarding Mbappé. Primarily because he's not a very likeable player, and also because he failed to deliver in a couple of CL games. Mbappé isn't getting worse, he's just at a point in his career when he needs to figure out what his real role on a pitch is. He'd like to be a complete player like Neymar but just doesn't have the abililty. Give him a coach that will tell him that he needs to be like a super Son (let hope Pochettino can), or play more like Henry and he'll be back to insane displays of talent.
So you figure his ideal role is the Cristiano role from the left, with a 9 moving deeper and wider to give him space and a playmaker on the right? I guess if that's Madrid it's Benzema/Hazard as a 9 then a new false 9 replacing them in a couple years (Maybe Rodrigo?) and presumably Odegaard on the right or Odegaard as a 10 and Asensio on the right?

Barcelona seem like maybe the better fit, with Messi as a the 9 and one of Griezmann or Dembele coming in off the right with Mbappe scoring goals as a left-sided wing forward type.

K Stand Knut

Leonardo is their director and he's a huuuuge fan of Vini. Thinks he's the next neymar. With anyone else yeah, no way they'd value him that much
Sorry mate.

I don’t care how big a fan Leonardo is. There is no way on this earth they are accepting £70-80m plus Vinicius for Mbappe.

Mbappe will be valued at close to what PSG paid for Neymar, which means Vinicius being valued at about £120m, which quite frankly is rubbish.

RUCK4444

Sorry mate.

I don’t care how big a fan Leonardo is. There is no way on this earth they are accepting £70-80m plus Vinicius for Mbappe.

Mbappe will be valued at close to what PSG paid for Neymar, which means Vinicius being valued at about £120m, which quite frankly is rubbish.
Isnt Vinicius a bit shite? I dunno never saw the hype with him to be honest.

Still young obviously.

K Stand Knut

Isnt Vinicius a bit shite? I dunno never saw the hype with him to be honest.

Still young obviously.
Well, he’s hardly set the world alight.

shite might be a bit harsh but he’s not fulfilling what most people seemed to think he would and to believe that PSG would sell Mbappe in a swap for him plus £70m is laughable.

RUCK4444

Well, he’s hardly set the world alight.

shite might be a bit harsh but he’s not fulfilling what most people seemed to think he would and to believe that PSG would sell Mbappe in a swap for him plus £70m is laughable.
Yeah I was a tad harsh there. I just remember there being a lot of hype around him as the next big thing from Brazil and from the outside looking in he looks barely Martial level? And I'm not even a massive Martial fan.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yeah I was a tad harsh there. I just remember there being a lot of hype around him as the next big thing from Brazil and from the outside looking in he looks barely Martial level? And I'm not even a massive Martial fan.
He's 20 though. Playing like Martial at 20 is reasonably promising. As it was when Martial was doing it. Playing like it at 25 is less so and why not many people rate Martial that highly.