Kick-off
Sun, 24 August 2014 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 48 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

daniel9988

Oh dear god. This match feels like it is going to be a close one, against Sunderland :wenger:

Might as well not play any CM and just put one extra defender and attacking forward :lol:

deanobaggio

------------------De Gea-----------------

--------Jones---Smalling----Blackett---

Rafael------Fletcher------Cleverly-----Young

-------------------Mata-------------------------

-----------RVP------------Rooney---------------
    This is where we are going to get exposed . . . Cleverly will be hiding from Cattermole, he shouldn't be, but its more than likely going to happen

Fluctuation

I'm concerned that if we do lose this our confidence will hit the floor!
    However I'm hoping that the Swansea result was just a blip after a strong pre-season and we smash a few goals in today and kick on for the season!

Billy Jim

Can see Kagawa deep with Fletcher, he played there a fair few times in preseason didn't he?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    This is where we are going to get exposed . . . Cleverly will be hiding from Cattermole, he shouldn't be, but its more than likely going to happen

Easy there Jamie Redknapp.

tob

We don't have any news on which players that has travelled to Sunderland?

Jammydodger7

What about James Wilson? Am I the only one hoping he makes the bench and comes on for the last 15?
    I'd start him. I like to see youth. He's better than hernandez with the ball and he can bring others into play.
    I'm not 100% but I think he could be injured, he was injured last week and didn't play for the u21's against Liverpool on friday, maybe that has something to do with him playing today though.

Cristiano Jonaldo

Lawyer Here!
    I'm not 100% but I think he could be injured, he was injured last week and didn't play for the u21's against Liverpool on friday, maybe that has something to do with him playing today though.
    I heard he was training with the first team this week? I'd be surprised to see him not make the bench tbh.

scholesboot

I think he trained with the first team mate. I may be wrong though

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
    Come on, 1-0 OG or pen will do, then next week or after the international break we will start scoring for fun with Di Maria's created chances and assists!

scholesboot

Ah well in that case I'd expect him to get game time seen as he was left out on friday night
    I hope so. I think the only way the lad can improve now is to be thrown in against the premiership sides. He will improve his game playing alongside and against better players. Could be a big player for us. Could also turn out to be one of those that doesn't progress. Really excited for the lad though.

GGMU

Come on the boys, that's a must win.

Subs: Januzaj for Mata, Rafael for Valencia and Welbeck for van Persie

tob

I think van Gaal will go with this..

---------------de Gea
    ----Jones----Smalling---Blackett
    Valencia--Fletcher--Kagawa--Young
    ---------------Rooney
    ----------Januzaj--van Persie

or Robin starts on the bench with Mata coming in and Rooney moves up as a striker.

Not to sure about Valencia either though.
    Maybe he'll start like this..

---------------de Gea
    ----Jones----Smalling---Blackett
    Januzaj--Fletcher--Kagawa--Young
    ----------------Mata
    ---------Rooney--van Persie

Andre Kagawa

------------------Ed Woodward-----------------

--------Di Maria----Di Maria-----Di Maria

Di Maria------Di Maria-----Di Maria-----Di Maria

-----------The Space Which Is Being Watched------------------

-----------Di Maria------------Di Maria---------------

Blue always red

4-0 prediction. The midfield of Cleverley - Fletcher (6 league titles between them) will somehow dig in extra deep and pull through against Sunderland. Whether they will expend too much energy is another matter entirely.

So, with all this Di Maria talk going on, there is also the small matter of a league match today that some will probably have forgotten about.

In the first Premier League match of van Gaal's reign, United lost 2:1 at home to Swansea. Last season our away form was much better than our home form. Hopefully we can win, but the Sunderland fans are in bullish mood about this match, with all the fans I asked predicting a Sunderland win.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
    I can see a draw here, but if Van Persie is back then can hope he gets a win. Really need him to have a 2012/13-style season.

And speaking of Di Maria, last night it broke on Sky Sports that Manchester United were closing in on signing Real Madrid winger/midfielder Angel Di Maria for a British-record transfer fee. Today Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti held his press conference ahead of tomorrow's match against Córdoba, where he had the following to say:

"Di Maria has said goodbye. We thanked him for everything he has done for the club. Its not official but the matter is resolved.

"The decision (to leave) was Di Maria's. The club did all they could to keep him."

Seems only a matter of time now. We could hear something about it from the Manchester United end as early as today, or most likely on Monday/Tuesday.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
    Scout
    Lets have a good performance today and get the season heading in the right direction at last

GRon

That's injuries for you. Throw in Shaw, Herrera, Carrick, Evans and Rojo and it looks much better. Januzaj, too, who might well start.
    Even with the injured, the defence and midfield would find it hard to compete with the likes of Chelsea and City.

R'hllor

Great piece of video there about LvG on Sky,hope most have seen this,in some way it washed my fears regarding our future.

Brightonian

Even with the injured, the defence and midfield would find it hard to compete with the likes of Chelsea and City.
    Maybe. Hard to say until they actually all stay fit long enough to play together, though. You certainly wouldn't have made that comment (about all the players between Mata and de Gea being mediocre) about a team like this:

DDG
    Rafael Evans Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Carrick
    Januzaj Mata Rooney
    RVP​

Van Persie could be making his first appearance of the season for United today. His record isn't the best against Sunderland though - at least not while playing at United. He's played four matches against Sunderland in the league since his move to Old Trafford and has scored just once - almost two years ago on the 15th of December when he scored the opener as we beat Sunderland 3:1 at Old Trafford.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    This di Maria stuff really overshadowing this, obviously. Could be a huge boost to the players as well, and fans of course.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
    This di Maria stuff really overshadowing this, obviously. Could be a huge boost to the players as well, and fans of course.
    Indeed. I hope they'll show some real ambition because if ESPN is right we may see even more new faces, next week.

For some players it may be a last game to show something substantial on the pitch.

GRon

Could be a huge distraction as well. I remember the Rooney saga back in 2004 caused a significant dip in our performances.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
    Whats up with evans? Injured?

for all the doom and gloom about this game, im actually a little optimistic about us being away from home. We had the best away record last yeaar, we were a completely different side away from OT, theres some mental thing with us at OT at the moment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 459 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw