SuperCupNI 2023 (23-28 July)

Bertie Wooster

Photo taken last year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I bet even at 10 they had 5 o'clock shadows and a deep raspy Lou Rawls voice to boot.

Secondly are we sure they are even twins? The kid on the left looks like the love child of the lead singer from Fine Young Cannibals and the one on the right looks like Mbappe's.

What's the Cameroonian definition? Same mum but can be different years? (due to 'long' labour.)
:lol:

Two-thirds of twins are non-identical, so they're probably twins. But as for their actual age...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Sorry had that U16s schedule mixed up in the OP.

We’re facing the Japanese side Ichifuna 19:00 BST tonight.

Gungerz

1-0 at HT against Ichifuna, Fitzgerald with the goal again.

XI is: Murdock; Freedman, Armer, Mapengu, Kukoni; Devaney, Fitzgerald, Nkoto; Lacey, Abraha, Balogun

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for the updates.

Was hoping Fitzgerald would do well here given his U18's experience, but wasn't expecting him to score all our goals!

Do you have any idea how Shea Lacey has performed in the two games?

Gungerz

Thanks for the updates.

Was hoping Fitzgerald would do well here given his U18's experience, but wasn't expecting him to score all our goals!

Do you have any idea how Shea Lacey has performed in the two games?
Not sure about Lacey but Balogun appears to have impressed.

top1whoisman

Scout
Fermanagh who lost 0-5 to Ichifuna yesterday beat Dundalk 1-0.

Standings before final round of matches:

United 6
Ichifuna 3
Fermanagh 3
Dundalk 0

If we win the group we’ll go to the top bracket semis.

Beaucoup

Anything other than winning the entire tournament should be seen as a failure.

Bertie Wooster

Not sure about Lacey but Balogun appears to have impressed.

Sounds promising. I'd read a few short articles about him before, but yet to see him play. Hopefully we get to the final and I'll get a look at him then.

top1whoisman

Scout
Because you generally only need to beat one half decent team to win it
Brighton, Rangers & Tigres probably have decent teams. But like we saw in the first game, you never know what happens. For example a sending off in a final and losing because of that wouldn’t mean it’s a failure, in my opinion.

Gungerz

Sounds like Fitzgerald's second was quite the effort.

With Ichifuna pushing forward in search of an equaliser, Fitzgerald had the presence of mind to chip Kaina Takahashi from 45 yards with the goalkeeper off his line

KevinJoh

No result is failure in youth tournaments, as it is for development, and not for the results.

Gungerz

XI vs Co. Fermanagh: Byrne-Hughes; McCormack, Mills, Kukonki, Mantato; Bailey, Fitzgerald, Thwaites; Lacey, Abraha, Balogun

15:00 kick-off.

Bertie Wooster

That's good.

And a goal for Balogun I see, after he apparently impressed in the first 2 matches.

top1whoisman

Scout
Topped the group with the maximum 9 points. Londonderry won the group C and is the only other team so far to have reached the semis of the top bracket.

Semifinal tomorrow at 19:00 BST. Third place playoff on Friday at 16:00, final 18:00

Last edited:

Gungerz

If someone could just tell the camera man to zoom out so we could, you know, actually see the game properly..

PS18

If someone could just tell the camera man to zoom out so we could, you know, actually see the game properly..
Came in to say the same thing, it’s unwatchable. Tempted to request a refund already

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
MUTV’s cameraman standing on the ground is better quality coverage than this. Half the match is off the screen and the flailing of the camera sharply is headache inducing.

PS18

Annoying thing is the cameraperson definitely is able to zoom out (camera's not broken or anything) because they did briefly at a couple of points. Just bizarre.

Feels like a better performance than Monday, should have scored with one of the early chances, moved the ball better. Liverpool's goal was very against the run of play and was pretty much the only time they threatened. Think we might struggle a little for goals this season, not sure any of the forwards look like being particularly prolific.

PS18

Camera's so zoomed in it's taken him/her an age to realise when subs are being made :D

Final ball's been shocking, Biancheri especially. Really should be at least level.

top1whoisman

Scout
Antrim, Londonderry and Tigres join our U16s in the semis. No idea who we are facing.

PS18

Took some doing to lose that. So many chances, so many opportunities to create more chances, just zero composure in the final third. Liverpool offered nothing, were gifted a goal and then timewasted like it was a Champions League final. Throw in the camerawork and I'll be surprised if there's a more frustrating football-watching experience all season.

Obviously it's pre-season, but been very underwhelmed by some of the more established members of this squad over the two games so far - Berry, McAllister and Williams especially. There seem to be some folks on twitter quite excited about Missin but can't say I'm seeing that in the little he's played for the 18s to this point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Took some doing to lose that. So many chances, so many opportunities to create more chances, just zero composure in the final third. Liverpool offered nothing, were gifted a goal and then timewasted like it was a Champions League final. Throw in the camerawork and I'll be surprised if there's a more frustrating football-watching experience all season.

Obviously it's pre-season, but been very underwhelmed by some of the more established members of this squad over the two games so far - Berry, McAllister and Williams especially. There seem to be some folks on twitter quite excited about Missin but can't say I'm seeing that in the little he's played for the 18s to this point.
How is Jack Moorhouse doing? From what I remember from watching him last season, his ball carrying/dribbling for a central midfielder was at a very high level for his age, whilst comfortably passing with either foot.

I think he represents Ireland at youth national level.

top1whoisman

Scout
The U16s will face Londonderry in the semis today. Antrim vs Tigres the other semi.

DekuAstaMeliodasRJK10

Topped the group with the maximum 9 points. Londonderry won the group C and is the only other team so far to have reached the semis of the top bracket.

Semifinal tomorrow at 19:00 BST. Third place playoff on Friday at 16:00, final 18:00
Will the final be on BBC IPlayer like last year?

DekuAstaMeliodasRJK10

"Shea Lacey the standout player at the Supercup NI so far.. the favourite for player of the tournament!

The young England international is causing opposition teams nightmare’s and it’s only 2 days in "

Quote from theacademywatch on Instagram

top1whoisman

Scout
Starting XI:

Byrne-Hughes

Freeman
Armer
Kukonki
Mantato

Fitzgerald
Thwaites
Lacey
Bailey
Mapengu
Siem

Subs: Murdock, Mills, Devaney, Nkoto, Balogun, McCormack, Barbosa

Gungerz

Starting XI:

Byrne-Hughes

Freeman
Armer
Kukonki
Mantato

Fitzgerald
Thwaites
Lacey
Bailey
Mapengu
Siem

Siem was initally listed as starting by the teamsheet but it looks like Nkoto is actually playing instead of him. Possible injury in the warm-up maybe.

Bertie Wooster

Starting XI:

Byrne-Hughes

Freeman
Armer
Kukonki
Mantato

Fitzgerald
Thwaites
Lacey
Bailey
Mapengu
Siem
Siem was initally listed as starting by the teamsheet but it looks like Nkoto is actually playing instead of him. Possible injury in the warm-up maybe.
Who would be the striker in that team, then, without Siem Abraha?

I'm not too sure about the Nkoto twins, though I think at least one is a CM? Is the Nkoto in this squad a striker, so it's like for like, or would one of the other attacking options like Bailey or Mapengu switch there to replace Abraha?

EDIT: Just seen the update about Lacey's opening goal. Good start. :)

Gungerz

Who would be the striker in that team, then, without Siem Abraha?

I'm not too sure about the Nkoto twins, though I think at least one is a CM? Is the Nkoto in this squad a striker, so it's like for like, or would one of the other attacking options like Bailey or Mapengu switch there to replace Abraha?

EDIT: Just seen the update about Lacey's opening goal. Good start. :)
I'm guessing someone will play as a sort of false 9 because Balogun is the only other striker but he's on the bench. Mapengu is a defender so it's definitely not going to be him.

Bertie Wooster

I'm guessing someone will play as a sort of false 9 because Balogun is the only other striker but he's on the bench. Mapengu is a defender so it's definitely not going to be him.
Yeah, I thought Balogun would have been the only other attacking option.

I wasn't sure about Mapengu's position. I've seen defender listed in some places, and left midfielder listed in others. As he seemed to be listed amongst the attack minded players in the line up, I was thinking maybe he was playing further forward.