Film Superman (2025)

MiceOnMeth

I'm surprised there's still a market for such a boring hero such as superman after getting a decade of cool heroes like Iron Man, captain America and Deadpool.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm surprised there's still a market for such a boring hero such as superman after getting a decade of cool heroes like Iron Man, captain America and Deadpool.
It's not about there being a market or interest. Look at all the terrible Fantastic 4 movies. These movies are made so that the studios making them can keep the rights for the IP.

slyadams

Superman films have all been shit. Superman Returns had such a great teaser, and the only film I really looked forward to, but the film ended up being completely different to what the teaser suggested.

I remember this and was pumped by it, that unused Brando dialog is gold. The whole piece isn’t a trailer, is a love poem to Superman.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m more surprised that’s there’s apparently still a market for yet another film from a guy who’s already played Superman as much as Christopher Reeve had, and a director whose made almost uniformly terrible films, than there is for a fresh take from a guy whose made 4 pretty decent superhero films and is at least provenly competent at writing character and structure…

like, this promo image looks quite shit IMO (why does his costume look so baggy? Why does he look entirely disinterested by what’s going on outside his window?) but I’d much rather watch a new James Gunn Superman movie than whatever weird dark empty slow motion cutscene bullshit either Zach Snyder or a disinterested 40 something Henry Cavill could produce at this point. Also most of those films were commercial disappointments, so why on earth would they make another one??

Modern comic geekdom is an entitled brood of masochistic weirdos. You’ve got more than enough of that shit than you would’ve at any other point in time. Shut up. An ailing film industry does not have to keep making them for you!

Anyway, I don’t care about this film. But we should definitely start bullying geeks again, is my point

MiceOnMeth

It's not about there being a market or interest. Look at all the terrible Fantastic 4 movies. These movies are made so that the studios making them can keep the rights for the IP.
I just thought superman would be really fecking uncool to people younger than 30 by now. Even as a kid I thought he was lame compared to batman, the hulk and Spiderman

Parma Dewol

Superman films have all been shit. Superman Returns had such a great teaser, and the only film I really looked forward to, but the film ended up being completely different to what the teaser suggested.

That really was a great trailer, especially for fans of Superman The Movie. Teases the magic of the original perfectly. Shame the movie turned out so badly.

Mockney

I just thought superman would be really fecking uncool to people younger than 30 by now. Even as a kid I thought he was lame compared to batman, the hulk and Spiderman
I mean he definitely is… but at least some of that is because most of us have grown up with Batman films made by people like Burton, Nolan and Reeves… whereas Superman was given to Zack Snyder and a sex criminal.

People over 40 swear down he was great when the guy who made Lethal Weapon did it…. I can’t really tell cos it looks naff now, but anything can be good in principle. Alan Moore and Grant Morrison have apparently written great Superman comics… because they’re great writers. So I reckon the guy that made a D-list comic property a blockbuster franchise is worth giving a shot over whatever the feck we’ve been doing for the last 15 years, anyway

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
There's literally 1 terrible fantastic 4 film, the latest, and Disney have the rights back for F4.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I’m more surprised that’s there’s apparently still a market for yet another film from a guy who’s already played Superman as much as Christopher Reeve had, and a director whose made almost uniformly terrible films, than there is for a fresh take from a guy whose made 4 pretty decent superhero films and is at least provenly competent at writing character and structure…

like, this promo image looks quite shit IMO (why does his costume look so baggy? Why does he look entirely disinterested by what’s going on outside his window?) but I’d much rather watch a new James Gunn Superman movie than whatever weird dark empty slow motion cutscene bullshit either Zach Snyder or a disinterested 40 something Henry Cavill could produce at this point. Also most of those films were commercial disappointments, so why on earth would they make another one??

Modern comic geekdom is an entitled brood of masochistic weirdos. You’ve got more than enough of that shit than you would’ve at any other point in time. Shut up. An ailing film industry does not have to keep making them for you!

Anyway, I don’t care about this film. But we should definitely start bullying geeks again, is my point
I also like the idea of the kids having been screaming out for a Captain America film, you know, the guy who acts like Superman but with extra jingoism.

Mockney

I also like the idea of the kids having been screaming out for a Captain America film, you know, the guy who acts like Superman but with extra jingoism.
Even The Hulk - who was admittedly definitely more popular than Captain America, but also already had two drastically different movies made inside 5 years that absolutely no one liked or cared about, but yeah, do more of them! It’s what the people are crying out for.

Mockney

Hes getting old
Also all the films were bad!!! I feel like I’m going insane in here! They were all bad, and all but one of them were commercial disappointments. On what dick ship planet would they keep making more of them??

I know they brought Clooney back as Batman, but everyone knows that was a joke right?

Jericholyte2

his promo image looks quite shit IMO (why does his costume look so baggy? Why does he look entirely disinterested by what’s going on outside his window?)
I don’t read it as him being disinterested, I read it as him, battered and bruised (the suit is clearly distressed) but answering the call again, knowing he’s the only one who can do anything about…whatever that is.

What’s more Superman’ than that?

Ubik

I don’t read it as him being disinterested, I read it as him, battered and bruised (the suit is clearly distressed) but answering the call again, knowing he’s the only one who can do anything about…whatever that is.

What’s more Superman’ than that?
It's an odd choice as a first-look, as it's supposed to be moving on from the Snyder/Cavill version who for the most part looked like he didn't enjoy helping people (as well as the dingy colour-palette and a very "Hollywood-designed" look to the suit, so all boxes checked here). It's even got a big sky-laser-looking-thing like Man of Steel. He looks like he's getting ready to go diving.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Isn't this loosely based on Grant Morrison's and Frank Quitely All Star -Superman ?

Ubik

Isn't this loosely based on Grant Morrison's and Frank Quitely All Star -Superman ?
Gunn said it's an influence on the tone along with For All Seasons, which again makes me confused about that image.

evil_geko

First Cavill photo in the costume looked terrible as well, it will look great in the film.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
MoS was a serviceable enough movie with some utterly daft choices within. I expect this one will be the same. it's impossible to make a movie about Superman in the 'real world' setting they want all their movies to be in and not have it be the most ridiculous thing you've seen.

Andy_Cole

Even The Hulk - who was admittedly definitely more popular than Captain America, but also already had two drastically different movies made inside 5 years that absolutely no one liked or cared about, but yeah, do more of them! It’s what the people are crying out for.
I think the monster verse franchise (Kong vs Godzilla) showed us how they could have done a Hulk movie.

decorativeed

First Cavill photo in the costume looked terrible as well, it will look great in the film.
To be fair, I thought that looked shit in the film. As did Brandon Routh's. I don't get the insistence on muting the colours so much. He's not Batman, he doesn't need a darkened, gritty looking suit with loads of weird lines and padding and armour and stuff.

Other than the obvious painted on muscle textures, the suit in Superman and Lois is the best modern take on it.

Last edited:

Ubik

To be fair, that looked shit in the film. As did Brandon Routh's. I don't get the insistence on muting the colours so much. He's not Batman, he doesn't need a darkened, gritty looking suit with loads of weird lines and padding and armour and stuff.

Other than the obvious painted on muscle textures, the suit in Superman and Lois is the best modern take on it.
Saw someone describe Cavill's as looking like one of those plastic action figures where the arms just move up and down, which is pretty bang on. You can hear him squeaking just looking at a picture.

I think the problem is you get a load of "creatives" in a room with a Hollywood budget and it becomes like Homer designing the car.

decorativeed

Saw someone describe Cavill's as looking like one of those plastic action figures where the arms just move up and down, which is pretty bang on. You can hear him squeaking just looking at a picture.

I think the problem is you get a load of "creatives" in a room with a Hollywood budget and it becomes like Homer designing the car.
I think you're probably right. As a designer myself, there are projects I've worked on where just having another two people (non-designers) giving multiple rounds of feedback for amends, I've ended up with a terrible final product I don't want anyone to know I had any involvement in!