Support David Moyes thread

Kag

He's no orator like Fergie was. With SAF, every word was loaded with meaning and delivered with specific intent. This was the finest of hundreds of examples:

Moyes manages to shoot himself in the foot with every single public pronouncement. Mourinho's exactly the same as SAF, and English isn't even his first language, ffs!
Fergie at his best. Moyes isn't a tenth of the man.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
We don't want Fergie back, we want someone that bears an inkling of a resemblance to him in ability and personality. We certainly don't have that at the present moment. Continuing to appease David Moyes won't change him either.

Drifter

American
And there lays the problem. Some expect Moyes to be a carbon copy of SAF.

Ubik

"Inking of a resemblance" doesn't equal carbon copy. It basically means we want someone that isn't shit.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So, how do we feel about Moyes supposed imminent sacking? It's a conflicting feeling for me. I want him to succeed but I feel like he's reach the point of no return.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
So, how do we feel about Moyes supposed imminent sacking? It's a conflicting feeling for me. I want him to succeed but I feel like he's reach the point of no return.
Pretty much what you said.

It's a shame, but he can't stay. If he's lost the dressing room and the fans there's no coming back.

Member 60376

Really, look at this season.
I will take a break from this thread, best that way

Sorry that you are disappointed, I am not exactly full of glee either because the reaction to this news shows exactly how desperate we are, but time will tell if this was the right decision (assuming it does happen actually)

Crashoutcassius

He did dither over transfers a bit too much though. What that's done going forwards is that we've now lost ground to over domestic rivals, let alone the euro rivals. I get the feeling that now, even a big name new manager will struggle for a while to get us back on track.
if a 'bigger name' manager comes in and we're not doing well next season im simply not accepting our 8 months under moyes as a valid excuse. like what has he so irreparably changed?

A1X

Big teams employ big name players.
Big name players need big name managers to keep them in check.
Moyes was not a big name manager, so it is hardly a surprise he has struggled to deal with big name players.

Your alternatives are to (1) employ a big name manager who can deal with big name players, meaning you stay a big team or (2) to remove the big name players, meaning you are no longer a big team.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
if a 'bigger name' manager comes in and we're not doing well next season im simply not accepting our 8 months under moyes as a valid excuse. like what has he so irreparably changed?
He's brought in a couple of assistants who nobody will miss, but who have hardly made their mark on anything by the looks of it. He's bought two players, one of which is top class, the other of which is a useful squad player. He's promoted Adnan Januzaj to the first team and overseen his first, largely very good season.

He has seemingly fallen out with certain players who haven't taken to his methods.

Even if he's an utter idiot he can't possibly have caused us any lasting damage. So, I agree. His supposed dismantling of the club is bollocks. The new man will find himself faced with much the same scenario Moyes encountered. A need to replace certain players and possibly a need to ween the club as such - further - off Sir Alex Ferguson.

mu4c_20le

I don't think it's about the name at all, but the person. He doesn't have the temperament to lead a squad full of winners, who are used to winning and getting a bollocking by the boss when they aren't. All he does on the sidelines is hoping against all hope that whatever tactic or plan he had in his mind would play out on the pitch, and then bury his head in his hands when it inevitably does not.

Crashoutcassius

He's brought in a couple of assistants who nobody will miss, but who have hardly made their mark on anything by the looks of it. He's bought two players, one of which is top class, the other of which is a useful squad player. He's promoted Adnan Januzaj to the first team and overseen his first, largely very good season.

He has seemingly fallen out with certain players who haven't taken to his methods.

Even if he's an utter idiot he can't possibly have caused us any lasting damage. So, I agree. His supposed dismantling of the club is bollocks. The new man will find himself faced with much the same scenario Moyes encountered. A need to replace certain players and possibly a need to ween the club as such - further - off Sir Alex Ferguson.
agreed. wait until you see though, in 10 months time when van gaal has us 5th this logic will be falling on deaf ears and moyes will have made shinji kagawa forget how to be the worlds greatest playmaker

NessunDorma

I won't feel massively sorry for Moyes. I mean, my brother has four kids, and is currently out of work. That's what you call hardship (and of course, many others have it even worse than that).

But I do have a tinge of sympathy for him. His whole working life - the best part of 35 years - has been geared towards achieving footballing success. He didn't exactly scale the heights as a player, but as a manager he'd done well. Took Preston from the bottom of League One to the top end of the Championship. Transformed Everton from a team who usually finished in the bottom 6 or 7 into a team who usually finished in the top 6 or 7, despite not having the financial resources of some his rivals.

And then seemingly from nowhere, he's given the keys to the Ferrari, allowed to take a sip from the Holy Grail. The biggest job in British football by some distance, and one of the biggest anywhere in the world, is now his - the culmination of a man's hard work, dreams and ambitions. The possibilities seem endless.

Then almost as quickly, it's taken away again, and he's not only deemed to have failed, but widely seen to have failed. He was chewed up and spat out again in no uncertain terms.

He'll get another job in The Premiership, no problem. But you wonder how patient supporters of other clubs will be with him, how much of a chance they'll be prepared to give him, given that he is now so strongly associated with failure. And not just with failure, but with being seen as an incompetent laughing stock. The smallest set back, and some of them will be all over him like a rash.

For those of us who wish him well, it seems a shame that his shot at the Big Time could end up costing him his reputation.

Last edited:

NessunDorma

....tumbleweeds....
One thing I will say, is that certain United fans haven't exactly covered themselves in glory this season either.

And have in fact lived up to the stereotype of the spoilt glory hunter who wants big shiny trophies, and wants them now. Not so much at the actual ground, but the various forums are absolutely swarming with them.

Baxter

One thing I will say, is that certain United fans haven't exactly covered themselves in glory this season either.

And have in fact lived up to the stereotype of the spoilt glory hunter who wants big shiny trophies, and wants them now. Not so much at the actual ground, but the various forums are absolutely swarming them with them.
What do you expect? All football fans are the same. United are no different to anyone else, and I think that idea was being peddled by the club more than anything else.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

And have in fact lived up to the stereotype of the spoilt glory hunter who wants big shiny trophies, and wants them now. Not so much at the actual ground, but the various forums are absolutely swarming with them.
I hear you. I've been watching United since the mids 70s so remember relegation and all that lark. Yeah, we all got spoiled recently but to see last years champions play the way they did this year is kind of shocking tbh. And how galling it also was to see all sorts of records being broken, for all the wrong reasons. The man's been a disaster in charge of us, and that's putting it mildly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Most of the supporters on this forum kept patience with Moyes long past what would have been the point of no return at any other clubs. The vast, vast majority of the fans or posters here can't really be criticised for their behaviour, Moyes just burned through most people's rational level of patience.

Those who still believe Moyes can turn it around are really remarkable, I can only think they are genuine idealists to be able to continue at this stage.

I wonder though, will anyone who is still backing Moyes actually be disappointed if Moyes leaves? Also, after all the talk about how sticking by our manager is part of the DNA or the club, would ye think sacking Moyes damages us and that tradition?

Ainu

For those of us who wish him well, it seems a shame that his shot at the Big Time could end up costing him his reputation.
Surely that's as good as everyone, outside of a select few maybe? I don't think anyone blames him on a personal level. He was out of his depth all season, but the biggest mistake about David Moyes at Man United was his appointment, and in that he's blameless. The club and Sir Alex in particular made a monumental error in judgement and appointed someone for all the wrong reasons. Fergie wanted to do a friend a favour instead of taking a professional approach and it ended up destroying Moyes' reputation and setting back the club significantly.

For all the talk of avoiding a repeat of past mistakes, it couldn't have been closer to that post-Busby fiasco if they tried. Everyone, the board, Sir Alex and Sir Bobby, the players and Moyes and his entire coaching staff come out of this looking completely incompetent. A massive failure across the entire board.

Ainu

I'd agree with you Ainu if the posts weren't littered with stupid petty insults.

Not you BTW, and to be fair I half see your point.
I think when he's sacked eventually (which seems almost a certainty at this point) a lot of those people will have calmed down and wish him well. Emotions are still running high and most desperately want him out because they feel it is for the good of the club, and that leads to overreactions. At least I hope that's the case.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I think when he's sacked eventually (which seems almost a certainty at this point) a lot of those people will have calmed down and wish him well. Emotions are still running high and most desperately want him out because they feel it is for the good of the club, and that leads to overreactions. At least I hope that's the case.
The number of times he's been called a cnut on here, for having the sheer audacity to take the United job and not be good enough.
I doubt I'd get away with calling Ferdinand a cnut more than once or twice on here.

Tomalonge

I hope so too, some people have gone way overboard.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Genuinely think he tried his best, even if he made the wrong decisions. He definitely doesn't deserve hatred.

Ubik

Genuinely think he tried his best, even if he made the wrong decisions. He definitely doesn't deserve hatred.
Absolutely not. Good bloke by all accounts.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I won't feel massively sorry for Moyes. I mean, my brother has four kids, and is currently out of work. That's what you call hardship (and of course, many others have it even worse than that).

But I do have a tinge of sympathy for him. His whole working life - the best part of 35 years - has been geared towards achieving footballing success. He didn't exactly scale the heights as a player, but as a manager he'd done well. Took Preston from the bottom of League One to the top end of the Championship. Transformed Everton from a team who usually finished in the bottom 6 or 7 into a team who usually finished in the top 6 or 7, despite not having the financial resources of some his rivals.

And then seemingly from nowhere, he's given the keys to the Ferrari, allowed to take a sip from the Holy Grail. The biggest job in British football by some distance, and one of the biggest anywhere in the world, is now his - the culmination of a man's hard work, dreams and ambitions. The possibilities seem endless.

Then almost as quickly, it's taken away again, and he's not only deemed to have failed, but widely seen to have failed. He was chewed up and spat out again in no uncertain terms.

He'll get another job in The Premiership, no problem. But you wonder how patient supporters of other clubs will be with him, how much of a chance they'll be prepared to give him, given that he is now so strongly associated with failure. And not just with failure, but with being seen as an incompetent laughing stock. The smallest set back, and some of them will be all over him like a rash.

True, but we didn't spike him, we didn't set him to fail, he set himself to fail. It's not like United sabotages him to fail, we have been very supportive, patience, and helpful all the time, but there's just got to be a limit.

He doesn't shows the humbleness to learn from others, he chooses to alienate successful team and blame them instead, kinda hard to feel sorry for that kind of guy.