Supporters that dont want Mourinho: What will he have to do to win you over?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I fear that his first press conference will be like the one he gave on the day Chelsea won the title; instead of celebrating the achievement, he spent his time hitting out at coaches who went for 'easy' jobs (i.e. Guardiola at Bayern).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I fear that his first press conference will be like the one he gave on the day Chelsea won the title; instead of celebrating the achievement, he spent his time hitting out at coaches who went for 'easy' jobs (i.e. Guardiola at Bayern).
Nah I think he's smarter than that.

I think he'll play the destiny card. The job he always wanted. Talk about how big this club is and what it means to manage it ect ect.

RustyS

I'd be surprised if he doesn't take a dig at Arsenal/Wenger in his very first press conference.

"Manchester United is not one of those teams that can go 12 years without winning a title."

Or something like that. He loves to annoy Wenger

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'd be surprised if he doesn't take a dig at Arsenal/Wenger in his very first press conference.

"Manchester United is not one of those teams that can go 12 years without winning a title."

Yes. He does.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be honest, our football has gotten so dire the last few seasons, that anyone who raises us to title winners will at the end be celebrated and lauded.

But on a more personal and greedy level, I've always wanted us to hire a manager that A) gives young players chances and B) plays attacking football. So those are the two things I want from him that will make me warm to him, apart from the obvious stuff like PL, CL trophies etc.

amolbhatia50k

I hope not.

If anything, he can, at times, be too confrontational and I wouldn't be surprised if that was what made the Chelsea players down tools this season. Hopefully he learns from that and learns to balance things.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Yes. He does.
The obsessiveness with which he likes to 'annoy' Wenger is pretty annoying itself

To be honest, our football has gotten so dire the last few seasons, that anyone who raises us to title winners will at the end be celebrated and lauded.

But on a more personal and greedy level, I've always wanted us to hire a manager that A) gives young players chances and B) plays attacking football. So those are the two things I want from him that will make me warm to him, apart from the obvious stuff like PL, CL trophies etc.
I always prefer politicans that are A) subtle, modest and thoughtful in demeanor B) have huge competence, experience, and a talent for inclusiveness and compromise. So those are the two things I want from Donald Trump once he's taken over.

amolbhatia50k

I always prefer politicans that are A) subtle, modest and thoughtful in demeanor B) have huge competence, experience, and a talent for inclusiveness and compromise. So those are the two things I want from Donald Trump once he's taken over.
Point well made, but to be fair to Jose, and I'm one that says his teams are boring, Chelsea did play very nice football in the first half of 2014/15.

But at the end of the day, I think the club recovering is probably more important than those two points. I'd also love to see Pochettino in charge, but that's one I don't see happening sadly.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
be realistic -the last time mourinho faced a guardiola side he put every player behind the ball and tried to cheat his way to the win. It was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in football. We won't be handing out any thrashings to city, we will sit hyper negative on the edge of our box and try to dive and win a penalty, usually we'll lose 5-0, every now and then we'll get a one nil win.

we might thrash liverpool but van gaal has done that a few times too, they are appalling
I am realistic! The question put was what would it take to win me over not what I think will happen.

caid

Get hired tbh.
If hes hired ill get behind him, he might not get as much patience as others but ... yeah ...

I'd be impressed if he really gave the kids a chance and developed them into something special though.

Crashoutcassius

Get hired tbh.
If hes hired ill get behind him, he might not get as much patience as others but ... yeah ...
Yeah this. I didn't want van gaal but am 100% behind him. If we get mou ill be behind him, even fi it means defensive football and no youth. Will be like a more effective moyes probably, and I supported him.

Crashoutcassius

Last time Mourinho team faced Guardiola it was an entertaining 2-2 draw with both teams enjoying good spells of possession. Chelsea were down to 10 men for a large part of the game too.
good point - i guess that means his madrids teams performance was very credible

walkinhop

The obsessiveness with which he likes to 'annoy' Wenger is pretty annoying itself

Old post but i had to reply. The thread titles asks the question and the poster gave his opinion. Why would you mock him in such a pointless way? Terrible post.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
lets see i guess. If mou plays defensive versus city im correct, if we go at them you're correct. I like my side of that though
"We won't be handing out any thrashings to city, we will sit hyper negative on the edge of our box and try to dive and win a penalty, usually we'll lose 5-0, every now and then we'll get a one nil win."

I didn't say he was going to go and attack them. I just think what you wrote before is a complete overreaction as he employed those tactics to stop an attack consisting of the likes of Messi, Villa, Xavi and Iniesta. I doubt Man City are going to become one of the greatest club sides of all time in the next couple of seasons so I doubt we will need to resort to being hyper negative and hoping for penalties. Usually losing 5-0...no way

Mourinho against AC milan at Inter. It's not impossible for him to get more than 1-0 wins against title rivals while playing good football.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Old post but i had to reply. The thread titles asks the question and the poster gave his opinion. Why would you mock him in such a pointless way? Terrible post.
Right. Considering the thread topic my snarkiness was indeed a bit off. Point of the post was not to mock the poster's opinion however, but to make a point that the things he'd expect are never going to happen.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Win stuff. Give time and patience to one or two young players to bring them through to the first team.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace

Be reincarnated as a coach of high character, honest, respectful & skilled at producing entertaining football - basically the opposite of what he is, so very unlikely

SteveJ

Scout
One thing that would help would be if he stopped drawing attention to himself via touchline runs in 'celebration'. If he comes here, we'd have to accept that José's only true passion is for himself/his career; stuff like 'he gets us' is wishful thinking.

SirFergie

I would say to those who are so, so certain that he is the answer to our problems - be careful what you wish for. He may change. He may be what we're looking for. He may be the solution to Guardiola etc. but there is no guarantee he'll be any better than what we already have in LvG. There'll be no youth players getting chances, there will be defensive performances in matches he deems 'un-lose-able', no going for it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
At the end of the day all I give a shit about are results so I can take the piss out of my mates who support Arsenal again.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

Be reincarnated as a coach of high character, honest, respectful & skilled at producing entertaining football - basically the opposite of what he is, so very unlikely
So basically be SAF. Yeah, me too.

Jcrossley94

One thing that would help would be if he stopped drawing attention to himself via touchline runs in 'celebration'. If he comes here, we'd have to accept that José's only true passion is for himself/his career; stuff like 'he gets us' is wishful thinking.
You don't like the passion? That's one of the things I admire most about him, and one of the reasons I would have been happy if klopp had of come here. That passion resonates with fans and players I think.. Seem to remember fergie mentioning that he admired his passion after that run he made when he was managing Porto at OT... Although I can see where you're coming from R.E mourinho really only caring about himself.

SteveJ

Scout
You don't like the passion? That's one of the things I admire most about him, and one of the reasons I would have been happy if klopp had of come here. That passion resonates with fans and players I think.. Seem to remember fergie mentioning that he admired his passion after that run he made when he was managing Porto at OT... Although I can see where you're coming from R.E mourinho really only caring about himself.
Rather than just displaying passion, I believe he's often celebrating his own achievements while making sure that the fan/viewer/potential employer notices him. This isn't exactly a far-out theory, as even the language he uses suggests that he is a 'champion' rather than the club he's managing at the time.

Jcrossley94

Rather than just displaying passion, I believe he's often celebrating his own achievements while making sure that the fan/viewer/potential employer notices him. This isn't exactly a far-out theory, as even the language he uses suggests that he is a 'champion' rather than the club he's managing at the time.
Perhaps you're right, on the subject of celebrations though, we don't begrudge players for celebrating their goals, so I'm not sure it's fair to begrudge the manager for celebrating...

Although you may be right around the language he uses, plus he often manages to turn press conferences into one man Jose Q&A sessions, so maybe you've got a point.

I have to say though, I do admire his celebrations and his passion on the side, whether it's for personal achievements or not, it's surely better than sitting with a clipboard not even bothering to celebrate when we score..

SteveJ

Scout
Normally I'd agree but I think he's craven about it - a deliberate attempt to bond with clubs' fans when his only true loyalty is to himself. In fairness though, it's asking a lot for a manager to feel as strongly about a club as its supporters do.

Cal?

CR7 fan

The opposite of what he is also means winning feck all.

Feck that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Lets put things straight. Mourinho was my third option. My first option was Ancelotti followed by Pep Guardiola. That means I am not a Maureen fan boy.

Having said that, I think it would be very interesting to see how things will develop. Maureen had been defeated for the first time in his career (he lost the dressing room at Chelsea, a grave mistake for a manager to make). If he signs with us, he will be signing for the first proper club he ever managed since Porto. Those are two things that will have an impact on him.

I believe that we will see a more determinant and humble Maureen keen to squash any criticism thrown at him by those who danced on his grave at Chelsea. The man knows the EPL inside out, he can work under pressure and has a point to proof. I also believe that he's now fed up moving from one club to another and would consider retiring at United (or only move to relatively safe jobs as Pep loves to do)

Mainoldo

Lets put things straight. Mourinho was my third option. My first option was Ancelotti followed by Pep Guardiola. That means I am not a Maureen fan boy.

Having said that, I think it would be very interesting to see how things will develop. Maureen had been defeated for the first time in his career (he lost the dressing room at Chelsea, a grave mistake for a manager to make). If he signs with us, he will be signing for the first proper club he ever managed since Porto. Those are two things that will have an impact on him.

I believe that we will see a more determinant and humble Maureen keen to squash any criticism thrown at him by those who danced on his grave at Chelsea. The man knows the EPL inside out, he can work under pressure and has a point to proof. I also believe that he's now fed up moving from one club to another and would consider retiring at United (or only move to relatively safe jobs as Pep loves to do)
I don't actually want him to retire here. Those days are over and never will probably be done here in our lifetime. What we want is the same man he has always been but with the faith this is his club that he controls. He's a man that lives for that... If he has it he can do wonders.

No one telling him how to play, who to buy and who to promote.

Brightonian

To win me over he'd have to alter his approach to almost every aspect of management, breaking a number of habits of a lifetime:

- The natural tendency towards pragmatic, defensive set-ups, which he might shake off when his team are playing well and against inferior opposition but to which he always reverts, often unnecessarily, when he's facing off against a big league rival or European opponent.
- His failure to promote youngsters, encourage the academy or sign young, promising players over proven talents.
- His spiky, arrogant, defensive attitude with the media, and his disrespectful treatment of other managers and teams.
- His refusal to take responsibility for defeats and problems, preferring to blame the referee, the opposition, the schedule, his medical team and even his own players before ever admitting fault.
- His tendency to win trophies with a team at the expense of leaving them worse off when he inevitably departs two or three years later.
- His knack of turning working, healthy dressing rooms into a mess of blame and infighting.

Crashoutcassius

"We won't be handing out any thrashings to city, we will sit hyper negative on the edge of our box and try to dive and win a penalty, usually we'll lose 5-0, every now and then we'll get a one nil win."

I didn't say he was going to go and attack them. I just think what you wrote before is a complete overreaction as he employed those tactics to stop an attack consisting of the likes of Messi, Villa, Xavi and Iniesta. I doubt Man City are going to become one of the greatest club sides of all time in the next couple of seasons so I doubt we will need to resort to being hyper negative and hoping for penalties. Usually losing 5-0...no way

Mourinho against AC milan at Inter. It's not impossible for him to get more than 1-0 wins against title rivals while playing good football.
we will find out i guess, if we thrash city ill be happy im wrong

JohnnyKills

Get hired tbh.

I'd be impressed if he really gave the kids a chance and developed them into something special though.
In most lines of work you can put KPIs into the contracts of new hires, committing them to certain targets.

Can we give Mourinho a KPI in terms of young players? Maybe it could be stipulated that every single squad should contain an academy product?

Maybe I'm talking rubbish here but it seems a decent idea in my head.

caid

In most lines of work you can put KPIs into the contracts of new hires, committing them to certain targets.

Can we give Mourinho a KPI in terms of young players? Maybe it could be stipulated that every single squad should contain an academy product?

Maybe I'm talking rubbish here but it seems a decent idea in my head.
I wouldn't want to tie his hands and force him to keep a youth player in the squad.
Its the kind of thing he needs to buy into himself, you cant force him to trust or make use of youth players. It just wouldn't work imo

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
"If we keep with Ryan and Louis van Gaal, we're going to have a great squad of youngsters. They will not have to go out and spend £60m on these internationals and European players as we've already got them here on our doorstep."

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been tipped to replace Van Gaal in the summer, but Gaynord thinks the club's youngsters will progress better under the current management.

"We have a bunch of talented players who can produce and get into the national side and go and win the World Cup," added Gaynord.

"I'm certainly in the Van Gaal and Ryan Giggs camp. Jose Mourinho is not an academy manager, he has not nurtured players like Sir Alex Ferguson and like how Van Gaal and Ryan Giggs are doing now. For me I want to see home-grown talent."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35673617

Mark Gaynord- Rashford's first coach

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
"If we keep with Ryan and Louis van Gaal, we're going to have a great squad of youngsters. They will not have to go out and spend £60m on these internationals and European players as we've already got them here on our doorstep."

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been tipped to replace Van Gaal in the summer, but Gaynord thinks the club's youngsters will progress better under the current management.

"We have a bunch of talented players who can produce and get into the national side and go and win the World Cup," added Gaynord.

"I'm certainly in the Van Gaal and Ryan Giggs camp. Jose Mourinho is not an academy manager, he has not nurtured players like Sir Alex Ferguson and like how Van Gaal and Ryan Giggs are doing now. For me I want to see home-grown talent."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35673617

Mark Gaynord- Rashford's first coach
One win against Midgetland and people think the academy is going to win us titles now. Not to mention that Vangle has spent £60m on two players already

Last edited: