Surveillance Draft - R1- DavidG vs Joga Bonito

With players at peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Was thinking that too. Unless «decidedly conservative» is the new «creative» I don't quite see it.

Fine player, obviously, one of the best of his ilk. But said ilk hardly screams Mozart.
Aye, didn't expect that I'd have to stick up for his defensive side of the game (I.e against speedy players) whilst seeing the 'creative side' of his game being lauded :lol:.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That's understating Mostovoi. Significantly better than Arshavin, you would watch Celta Vigo games just to watch Mostovoi, while I'd never watch 90 minutes of football to see Arshavin.
To be fair you've probably never seen peak Arshavin apart from the few Euro games and a couple of games for Arsenal (including a poker at Anfield). He was magnificent at his peak, which was mostly for Zenit, and I kinda despise the guy, so it's not like you're hearing this from his fanboy

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Isn't Conte arrested for assault?

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
To be fair you've probably never seen peak Arshavin apart from the few Euro games and a couple of games for Arsenal (including a poker at Anfield). He was magnificent at his peak, which was mostly for Zenit, and I kinda despise the guy, so it's not like you're hearing this from his fanboy
Yeah, it's fair to say I heard the hype while at Zenit but largely watched him at Arsenal

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He was kind of like that daft wine commercial with Rooney. Arshavin, I mean. They say...and so forth. When we finally saw him properly he was basically over the hill (at, what, 27...something like that). Looked great, though, at first glance.

Odd player, odd sort of career. He was injured quite alot, though, wasn't he? Prior to breaking through (for the average fan), I mean.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Here's a taste of Xavi at his imperious and incisive best.

4 assists against Real in the El Classico. His first touch is an absolute delight to watch and the way he always creates space with them is uncanny.

Let's not forget his masterclass against Germany in the 08 Euros where he slipped a lovely slide rule assist for Torres, created a carbon copy of that exact same ball for Torres in the second half, very nearly had another assist with an intuitive ball for Iniesta who hit the bar, before creating another gilt edged chance for Torres. For all of Xavi's unrivalled ability to dominate and control proceedings, he was immense when it came to creating chances (and on the big stages too, as his assists for Messi and Pedro in CL finals will testify).

DavidG sports a cohesive and a functional midfield here, but I can't not see Xavi having a good game here, which heavily limits the service and threat that his offense will be able to pose here, whilst my offence (esp Nedved and Möller) will thrive with Xavi of all people being the lynchpin of the side.
Remake Draft R16 | Downcast vs Tuppet

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I appreciate the willingness of @DavidG to be innovative: risk taking and 'new players' like Mostovoi.

I've forgotten to analyze that Celta Vigo team with players like Karpin

@Joga Bonito has probably built the most impressive midfield so far.

harms

Staff
He was kind of like that daft wine commercial with Rooney. Arshavin, I mean. They say...and so forth. When we finally saw him properly he was basically over the hill (at, what, 27...something like that). Looked great, though, at first glance.

Odd player, odd sort of career. He was injured quite alot, though, wasn't he? Prior to breaking through (for the average fan), I mean.
The main problem was always mentality. After the Euros and his transfer to England he thought that he already achieved everything. Wenger didn't help though, limiting his role to a left winger, and injuries were also a factor... but still, mentality.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

If anything I'd remember him for those weird, and at times funny Q&A sections.

Shame he never quite got going after the Euros, closest thing to Kaka after the Brazilian's dip. Was quite the exciting player at his peak, but unfortunately we didn't really get to see a whole lot of that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We must have watched a different Deschamps ;). I found him boring and crab-like on the ball, but he was masterful at suffocating the opposition's creative players. He's an excellent foil for Xavi here.
Yeah, Creative is probably the wrong word here. I was on about ability to control the pace and tempo of a game. I rate his passing skills also as above average for a classic DM. If you look at the team as a 4-2-3-1 with Nedved-Moller-Seedorf ahead of the duo, it'll work...but as a straight 4-4-2 not very much so.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's a brilliant midfield, alright. With one of the greatest orchestrators in football history pulling the strings, having an almost ideal foil sitting behind him in the dirty work role (EAP's bizarre praise notwithstanding) - and a scary pair of wide midfielders on either side to complete it. And Möller as an AM/SS roaming about.

Hard to beat. Upper half clearly more impressive than lower, though.

I have a fondness for David's team, if one can put it like that. But I don't like the zona mista blueprint - it seems a bit forced to me. Play those boys in an unorthodox formation, something like an Italian job - great. But don't insist to that extent on the blueprint thing. This ain't a remake draft.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
but as a straight 4-4-2 not very much so.
Precisely, it isn't a 'straight'/conventional 4-4-2 where I'd need a more expansive passer. It's more fluid with Seedorf and Nedved cutting in, exchanging positions, Möller/RVP roaming and dropping deep occasionally etc. It isn't a compartmentalized and an orthodox 4-4-2 with the wingers working the flanks and the two forwards being more goal oriented and direct in their movement and play. Deschamps as a disciplined tidy short passer capable of keeping the ball rolling and rarely losing it is ideal for me, I don't need a Pirlo or an Albertini (speaking of whom, how wasn't he picked in this draft?) there alongside Xavi.

diarm

Interesting match up this. Other than Ronaldo, it's a much more tactical battle than a pacey game for individual flair.

I think Jogas side will use the ball much better and control large portions of the game. Also, even though I appreciate what DavidG is trying to do, I'm not at all convinced by that defence.

The big question is whether or not controlling the match, owning the ball for large periods and having a really cohesive system with a simply beautiful midfield, will be enough to beat the 2 or 3 inevitable pieces of brilliance their front two create.

The idea of Bergkamp and Ronaldo together is literally that delicious that it's making what should be an easy decision very difficult. I'm waiting to see if there are any injuries.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, Creative is probably the wrong word here. I was on about ability to control the pace and tempo of a game. I rate his passing skills also as above average for a classic DM. If you look at the team as a 4-2-3-1 with Nedved-Moller-Seedorf ahead of the duo, it'll work...but as a straight 4-4-2 not very much so.
I don't want to put words in Joga's mouth regarding his tactics, but it seems to me like an Atletico-esque 4-4-2, with that industrious line of Nedved/Deschamps/Xavi/Seedorf defending as a block and Moller, to a less effective extent, mirroring Griezmann's defensive function of pressing ahead of them. The 4-4-2 better captures Xavi's style of shuttling up and down the pitch too, rather than mostly holding in a 4-2-3-1. I don't really see any benefit at all in tweaking the setup to a 4-2-3-1 tbh.

Deleted member 101472

Changed it up, not sure if allowed but no answer in the PM's

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
the midfield battle is very one sided imo in Jogas favour - it is arguably in the top two midfield's in the draft purely because it has to be taken as a quartet due to the role that Nedved and Seedorf enjoy here.

It is such a world class quartet - love how they complement each other here and for me.. Both Neved and Seedorf would not be limited in this set up.

Lucio and Carvalho for me is a top class modern day center back pairing which is CL win worthy and both are highly respected by me.. Always rated Ricky highly and Lucio for me is a big beast who when in the mood is a colossus .. Sort of guy who can match Ronaldo for physicality.

Grosso I don't rate too highly but he's not up against a top winger here and I don't know anything about Bennarivo so would appreciate some more info there.

Moller good player as is Van Persie but both pale in significance compared to Davids duo and Joga would probably admit it's the weakest part of his side and probably one of the weaker pairings in the draft. Godin would be able to handle them but would Escobar is the question.

I think on paper it looks an easy win for Joga but in reality it would be closer purely because of the Ronaldo factor.. He really can make even an average side look dangerous because he's not reliant on service like a Messi.

Deleted member 101472

the midfield battle is very one sided imo in Jogas favour - it is arguably in the top two midfield's in the draft purely because it has to be taken as a quartet due to the role that Nedved and Seedorf enjoy here.

It is such a world class quartet - love how they complement each other here and for me.. Both Neved and Seedorf would not be limited in this set up.

Lucio and Carvalho for me is a top class modern day center back pairing which is CL win worthy and both are highly respected by me.. Always rated Ricky highly and Lucio for me is a big beast who when in the mood is a colossus .. Sort of guy who can match Ronaldo for physicality.

Grosso I don't rate too highly but he's not up against a top winger here and I don't know anything about Bennarivo so would appreciate some more info there.

Moller good player as is Van Persie but both pale in significance compared to Davids duo and Joga would probably admit it's the weakest part of his side and probably one of the weaker pairings in the draft. Godin would be able to handle them but would Escobar is the question.

I think on paper it looks an easy win for Joga but in reality it would be closer purely because of the Ronaldo factor.. He really can make even an average side look dangerous because he's not reliant on service like a Messi.
On paper an easy win? Have to disagree, Albelda and conte are no pushovers, mostovoi and Salihamidzic offer enough going both ways and and Xavi and deschamps aren't the quickest, especially dealing with nimble footed players like mostovoi.

Deleted member 101472

NO INJURIES BUT 3 SUBS COMING ON TO TRY AND TURN THIS AROUND

Escobar....well, the least said the better.

Salihamidzic has gone chasing the kitman down the tunnel for realising his name was spelt wrong AGAIN and Mostovoi was summoned to an urgent meeting in the kremlin. The best defender of all time in terms of not having to train, ever, ledley King steps in for the stricken colombian (RIP) and Veron deputises for Mostovoi, with Mario Jardel FINALLY getting the stage his prodigious goalscoring talents deserve.

@Raees @Mani @Thisistheone @harms @Edgar Allan Pillow @VivaJanuzaj @Šjor Bepo @Aldo @Fergus' son @Theon @Isotope @Skizzo @Annahnomoss @predator @2mufc0 @Tuppet @Downcast

@green_smiley @prath92 @cold-zebra @sajeev

feel free to change your mind if you think the changes can claw the game back.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Im just catching up and a bit confused at the last formation change. I thought I was caught up to the match and all set to vote for DavidG with that 442 but now I see this new formation and not sure if injuries happened?

SirScholes

Feels so wrong voting against ronaldo but a midfield 3 with Veron in it would get ruined

Deleted member 101472

Im just catching up and a bit confused at the last formation change. I thought I was caught up to the match and all set to vote for DavidG with that 442 but now I see this new formation and not sure if injuries happened?
No injuries I just wanted to get all the players their appearance bonus

Deleted member 101472

Not really he offers zero protection so you'd be left with 2 midfielders leaving nedved seedorf and xavi oodles of room, in my opinion.
On the ball he is class
"Zero"... so he's just going to stand there is he? I didn't start him because he doesnt get any love at all on this forum and i can handle criticism of him but thinking he'd be completely ineffectively defensively in a midfield 3 is scandalous, particularly when its his peak lazio days we are considering.

harms

Staff
"Zero"... so he's just going to stand there is he? I didn't start him because he doesnt get any love at all on this forum and i can handle criticism of him but thinking he'd be completely ineffectively defensively in a midfield 3 is scandalous, particularly when its his peak lazio days we are considering.
He is actually rated quite high in our little draft community. And he is your best midfielder anyway.

antohan

We must have watched a different Deschamps ;). I found him boring and crab-like on the ball, but he was masterful at suffocating the opposition's creative players. He's an excellent foil for Xavi here.

Great job by both managers here so far.
He could bring the game to a standstill. Incredibly boring, and effective.

antohan

Precisely, it isn't a 'straight'/conventional 4-4-2 where I'd need a more expansive passer. It's more fluid with Seedorf and Nedved cutting in, exchanging positions, Möller/RVP roaming and dropping deep occasionally etc. It isn't a compartmentalized and an orthodox 4-4-2 with the wingers working the flanks and the two forwards being more goal oriented and direct in their movement and play. Deschamps as a disciplined tidy short passer capable of keeping the ball rolling and rarely losing it is ideal for me, I don't need a Pirlo or an Albertini (speaking of whom, how wasn't he picked in this draft?) there alongside Xavi.
I talked about Albertini with @The Stain but he had forgotten that mini-stint at Barca, which ruled him out.

harms

Staff
you are a United fan right?
Yes, like most of us here. His stint with us wasn't great but we all know his real level (and he showed it at times even for United)