T20 Circus Auction Draft

Norris

Crappy would have countered ofcourse but anant was the only one with no player on the board at the time so he would have won the bid. Gayle and Kohli in different teams leaves the draft wide open. Ananth pretty much handed the trophy to Crappy before the SF by messing it up there.
Yup. Well now atleast every team that faces Crappy, knows what "Weakness" to use against Gayle-Kolhi-AbD :p. So who knows... I can never get a decent read on the voters anyways.

Edit: Also, after the flak you got for your bowlers, you would have gotten mailnga too. :p
Not that Bravo was bad. I thought he was average before, but after seeing his death over bowling and his decent batting this WC, a very good addition.

Varun

Staff
Yup. Well now atleast every team that faces Crappy, knows what "Weakness" to use against Gayle-Kolhi-AbD :p. So who knows... I can never get a decent read on the voters anyways.
There's only so much you can push the illogical "RCB, pfft" :lol:

Varun

Staff
Wouldn't call it cancelling if we end this, it's Crappy deservedly winning the draft. I don't mind moving to the next draft either, I enjoy the drafting anyways :p

MJJ

Anant dropped a bollock. He was on Kohli and when Crappy upped it by 2mil, instead of staying on Kohli, he decided to up our bid on Malinga instead leaving the path clean for crappy. My Narine bid was already sealed leaving me with just 29mil and Skizzo didn't have the funds so it was upto him to prevent it.
Serves you right for voting against my side, now suffer! mwahahaha.

Norris

There's only so much you can push the illogical "RCB, pfft" :lol:
You could possibly exrtapolate it to saying there isn't enough team chemistry, big ego's in Crappy's team. Stuff like that. ;)

I reckon if you, Anant and Skizzo all decide to sit together and work out how to beat him, it's a possiblity.

ooh, that gave me another idea. Why not do a Crappy vs Anant/Varun/Skizzo best XI. Let's see if you 3 can put your heads together to get a team that can beat his. Would be a good game I reckon.

Varun

Staff
Serves you right for voting against my side, now suffer! mwahahaha.
Yes :(
You could possibly exrtapolate it to saying there isn't enough team chemistry, big ego's in Crappy's team. Stuff like that. ;)

I reckon if you, Anant and Skizzo all decide to sit together and work out how to beat him, it's a possiblity.

ooh, that gave me another idea. Why not do a Crappy vs Anant/Varun/Skizzo best XI. Let's see if you 3 can put your heads together to get a team that can beat his. Would be a good game I reckon.
Or just move on to bigger fun, ie the drafting for the test drsft :angel:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People voted for @MJJ crap team because of Kohli and Gayle. Other teams don't really have a chance.

Norris

Yes :(

Or just move on to bigger fun, ie the drafting for the test drsft :angel:
Tbh, the Test draft has been the only proper draft so far. So many hidden talents revealed, great write-ups, discussions. It had everything. I don't expect the same this time around, but it will be nice to have it again, with a few added twists.

KM

it was a decent side. Would have won if I included broad.
I voted for you, but Crappy has created a monster.

Still think @Samid team was the best overall, I dunno how he got eliminated.

Norris

Yep. Ross Taylor, Hussey and Shoaib (despite his haters) I like. Dunno which perera it was, but I felt your bowling was short. Would have been better to have included Broad instead.

Norris

Team @crappycraperson
  1. Martin Guptil Chris Gayle
  2. Hashim Amla
  3. Gautam Gambhir Kohls
  4. AB Devillers
  5. Anjikya Rahane
  6. Glenn Maxwell
  7. Shakib Al Hasan
  8. Greame Swann
  9. Morne Morkel
  10. Shoaib Akhtar
  11. Mohammed Amir

Varun

Staff
Tbh, the Test draft has been the only proper draft so far. So many hidden talents revealed, great write-ups, discussions. It had everything. I don't expect the same this time around, but it will be nice to have it again, with a few added twists.
Test drafts will always be the most fun. Lots of players not everyone knows about, great balance required between batsman and bowlers to win a test instead of just stockpiling batsmen, etc.
Yeah, you didn't need those extra batsmen in the end with both Gayle and Kohli in the side.

Norris

Test drafts will always be the most fun. Lots of players not everyone knows about, great balance required between batsman and bowlers to win a test instead of just stockpiling batsmen, etc.
Yeah. But the surprise element goes now though. Guys like Gupte, Hammond, McCabe won't be an easy pick any more. So the drafting will be a lot harder. Only good thing is I spent so much time on cricinfo during that draft, that I know almost every players test stats. No need to spend that much time for the next one :p

Norris

Not a great side but too many match winners which is enough to win T20s.
Yeah. Probably won't mention the weaknesses I felt after looking at it, but it depends on how well teams can argue against them and possibly nullify the threats.

Varun

Staff
Yeah. But the surprise element goes now though. Guys like Gupte, Hammond, McCabe won't be an easy pick any more. So the drafting will be a lot harder. Only good thing is I spent so much time on cricinfo during that draft, that I know almost every players test stats. No need to spend that much time for the next one :p
@Aldo will still pluck some out of his ass, just see :lol:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not a great side but too many match winners which is enough to win T20s.
Non sense. RCB has been a bust because their bowling line is crap. My bowling line up has Amir, Akhtar, Morkel, Swann and Shakib. With Maxwell and Gayle also capable of bowling.

I can replace Rahane with Akmal there and it would be fine.

Anyway draw time.

crappycraperson

Scout
And yeah.. I thought I would have to bid 50m+ to get Kohli. Was shocked that no one upped his price. it was clear that I was going to spend big to get one of Kohli or Gayle but no one thought about it. I bid on Gayle, just to stop Varun getting him.. opening of BM and him would have been crazy as well

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sorry guys for not going all out for Kohli, The problem was I needed to replace Tanvir at any cost

Varun

Staff
Non sense. RCB has been a bust because their bowling line is crap. My bowling line up has Amir, Akhtar, Morkel, Swann and Shakib. With Maxwell and Gayle also capable of bowling.

I can replace Rahane with Akmal there and it would be fine.

Anyway draw time.
No arguments about their bowling line up being shit. I think ABD is overrated in T20s so him + 1 was still beatable. Both + him is just too much. Your booking line up is good now obviously and better than what RCB has ever had but it's still beatable.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sorry guys for not going all out for Kohli, The problem was I needed to replace Tanvir at any cost
Why did you pay 30+ for that shit? I only nominated him for the banter, seeing him go for that price made me chuckle.

Varun

Staff
And yeah.. I thought I would have to bid 50m+ to get Kohli. Was shocked that no one upped his price. it was clear that I was going to spend big to get one of Kohli or Gayle but no one thought about it. I bid on Gayle, just to stop Varun getting him.. opening of BM and him would have been crazy as well
Me and Skizzo didn't have a choice. Both had other bids on and thus couldn't challenge. It was left for anant to ensure you didn't get Kohli and seeing as he had no players on the board, he'd have won. He decided to go for Malinga unfortunately.
Needed to think long term there man, the bigger picture if you like. You going for Malinga there left Kohli for Crappy as neither me nor Skizzo could challenge

crappycraperson

Scout
Me and Skizzo didn't have a choice. Both had other bids on and thus couldn't challenge. It was left for anant to ensure you didn't get Kohli and seeing as he had no players on the board, he'd have won. He decided to go for Malinga unfortunately.

Needed to think long term there man, the bigger picture if you like. You going for Malinga there left Kohli for Crappy as neither me nor Skizzo could challenge
It was a failure of strategy all around. I had the most funds, 2 best T20 players were available. It was clear that all of you had to force me to pay 50m+ to get one. In football auction drafts, in reinforcement rounds, likes of Ronaldo and Messi have always gone for the full amount in reinforcement rounds.

Worst case was that one of you would have gotten Kohli for 50m if I had decided to pass.

Varun

Staff
It was a failure of strategy all around. I had the most funds, 2 best T20 players were available. It was clear that all of you had to force me to pay 50m+ to get one. In football auction drafts, in reinforcement rounds, likes of Ronaldo and Messi have always gone for the full amount in reinforcement rounds.

Worst case was that one of you would have gotten Kohli for 50m if I had decided to pass.
Yeah, agreed. Everyone seemed to rely on the other to get the job done. Skizzo went for 2 players early. I secured Narine first and then went for Gayle expecting anant to not back out of the Virat bid meaning you'd get only 1 of them with me or him getting the other. Once you put Gayle out of my reach, it was down to him and he messed it up.

Shouldn't have gone for Narine before the Gayle and Kohli bids were decided. Messed that up.

Teams after Auction#2

crappycraperson

Scout
Final teams after Auction #2

Crappy - Maxwell (25m), ABD (80m), Umar Akmal(17m), Swann (12m), Rahane (18m), Hashim Amla 14m , Martin Guptil - 26m, Mohammad Amir - 26m , Gautam Gambhir - 16, Morne Morkel(14m),akhtar(14m) Shakib (12m), Kohli (30m), Gayle (29m); 17m

Skizzo - Joe Root (44m), Dhoni (64m), Afridi (32m), Brett Lee (22m), Hussey(40m), Irfan Pathan (15m), Imran Tahir (12m), Dwayne Smith (13m), Dirk Nannes (14m), Corey Anderson (14m); Ryan tenDoeschate (10m), Jacob Oram (10m), Michael Lumb (10m), Watson (25m), Badree (25m); 0m

Varun - David Miller (28m), McCullum (75m), Sangakkara (32m), Vettori (26m), Pietersen (42m), Symonds (25m), Mitch Johnson (12m), Bond(12m), Bracken (12m), Riaz (10m), Graeme Smith (12m), Harbhajan Singh (10m), Narine (25m), Bravo (20m) ; 9m

Anant - R. Sharma (30m), R. Ashwin (31m), Steven Smith (30m), Sohail Tanvir(33m), Tilakkaratne Dilshan(28m), Ravindra Jadeja (30m), Williamson (15m), Mitchell Starc (33m), Shaun Marsh (19m), Albie Morkel (14m), Buttler (22m), Wright (14m), Malinga (31m), Yuvraj(20m) ; 0m

Norris

Shouldn't have gone for Narine before the Gayle and Kohli bids were decided. Messed that up.
I actually think, with the exception of Crappy, everyone messed it up. According to the rules, Crappy had given ample time before the nominations to the auction board closed. I was genuinely surprised with you going for Narine and Skizzo going for Watson/Badree so early. Could have just nommed those players without putting a bid in and then battled it out for Kohls/Gayle.

Varun

Staff
I actually think, with the exception of Crappy, everyone messed it up. According to the rules, Crappy had given ample time before the nominations to the auction board closed. I was genuinely surprised with you going for Narine and Skizzo going for Watson/Badree so early. Could have just nommed those players without putting a bid in and then battled it out for Kohls/Gayle.
Yep, as I said, everyone knew he would go for both but tended to leave it for someone else to take care of. By the time Crappy acted, 2 of us had put ourselves out of the race and anant made the wrong call.

KM

Has T20 drafted ended? I haven't been able to follow properly. We can run a test one though. Quite a few had shown interest already.
No let it finish. Let's instead discuss how we want to proceed.