Tactics 20/21: switching to 4-3-3

ThinkTank@Cafe

Inspired by Statman Dave.

VdB is going to be a first team player.

—————————————GK———————————-
AWB (S)———BPD (cover)————-BPD (stopper)————Shaw (A)
—————————-Pogba (DLP)———————-—
————-Bruno (b2b)———-vdB (b2b)
Winger—————Martial (CF)————-Rashford (IF)

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
It's a formation we should have been playing for quite sometime as our back four needs better protection from a sitting player and would allow a more fluid front 3 which would better suit Rashford, Greenwood and Martial all of whom are more forwards than wingers. The only thing really lacking squad wise is proper overlapping fullbacks but that's a training issue.

Crashoutcassius

This is fairly typical when a club signs any player and fans put them into the 'first 11' but I think in this case DVB is depth and Ole unlikely to stray from the system he has just had great success with

I remember back in the day people putting 'Varela' in their 'first 11' after we signed him, the logic being all players are signed to start as many games as possible

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Pogba is not a DLP. This is not FM or FIFA.

It will be Matic or Scott or Fred.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Do we really think Pogba can play as the deepest midfielder? I don’t see it myself. He was outstanding there for me in FM17 though so who knows :lol:
Nobody thought Martial will lead the line, hold the ball, and press like crazy. Pogba‘s problem is that he is good at everything. Deepest midfield player suits his skill set the best in my opinion. Especially ability to carry the ball and long passing. He is tall and strong and will be able effective against long balls. Can tackle, can hold the ball. He is actually an ideal DLP. He just need to embrace the role and stop trying to be everything.

Dante

Average bang
Let's just try 3 box to box midfielders and see what happens. :devil:
5-3-2 with Maguire, Shaw and AWB as CBs. We'd need to rely on Williams and Laird for width, though. If we bought a couple more wingbacks, it might work with a bit of coaching. Then three B2Bs in midfield, as you say, and Martial/Rashford up top.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Pogba is not a DLP. This is not FM or FIFA.

It will be Matic or Scott or Fred.
let‘s stop being arrogant by using cliche referrals to FM or FIFA. FM terminology is handy to explain tactics and deservedly widely used. constructive criticism is welcome.

What attributes MCT and Scott possess (Matic can be a DLP) that make them better than Pogba in that positions.

P.S. sick and tired of all these “smart“ posters

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

If Ole wanted to switch to a 433 he'd have done it by now. He clearly favours 2 midfielders in that deeper pivot position and then a #10 ahead of them.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
With the presence of Van De Beek and Burno, who are both natural goal scorers who like to be in the opposition box and Martial/Greenwood/Rashford who naturally like to start wide, it makes a lot of sense to play a diamond. Just wish there was a more attacking, consistent full back. However I think there are enough games to go around for Pogba/Bruno and Donny to play in the attacking midfield roles in front of Matic or Fred.

Pogba for instance might not even be fit enough to start the season with his coronavirus so a Fred - VdB - Bruno midfield seems like a good bet to start.

ThinkTank@Cafe

If Ole wanted to switch to a 433 he'd have done it by now. He clearly favours 2 midfielders in that deeper pivot position and then a #10 ahead of them.
My theory is he had no choice with the MCs and AMs he inherited. Also, Ole is a great tactician, he can use any formation depending on players at his disposal. He will opt for 4-3-3 because it’s simply the best formation for dominating teams.

ThinkTank@Cafe

This is fairly typical when a club signs any player and fans put them into the 'first 11' but I think in this case DVB is depth and Ole unlikely to stray from the system he has just had great success with

I remember back in the day people putting 'Varela' in their 'first 11' after we signed him, the logic being all players are signed to start as many games as possible
it became typical on this forum to Classify a poster into some strata of average stupid posters thus“ becoming“ a more knowledgeable poster, so to say connosseur. Said connoisseu, unfortunately, doesn’t add any substance to discussion, other than phantom association from the “history of the forum”.

EwanI Ted

Doesn't look at all realistic to me that midfield. That's putting a helluva lot on Pogba's shoulders. Even though the game continues to move away from tackling, you still at least need someone in the deep midfield spot with positional discipline who can read the game defensively, get interceptions and track runners coming from midfield. I really don't see Pogba fulfilling that role well.

With the presence of Van De Beek and Burno, who are both natural goal scorers who like to be in the opposition box and Martial/Greenwood/Rashford who naturally like to start wide, it makes a lot of sense to play a diamond. Just wish there was a more attacking, consistent full back. However I think there are enough games to go around for Pogba/Bruno and Donny to play in the attacking midfield roles in front of Matic or Fred.

Pogba for instance might not even be fit enough to start the season with his coronavirus so a Fred - VdB - Bruno midfield seems like a good bet to start.
I'm always very suspicious of the midfield diamond. Fans tend to love it when talking about formations, but in the real world its not very well used. If it really was as useful as us fans seem to think, I feel like it would be a lot more common.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Doesn't look at all realistic to me that midfield. That's putting a helluva lot on Pogba's shoulders. Even though the game continues to move away from tackling, you still at least need someone in the deep midfield spot with positional discipline who can read the game defensively, get interceptions and track runners coming from midfield. I really don't see Pogba fulfilling that role well.

I'm always very suspicious of the midfield diamond. Fans tend to love it when talking about formations, but in the real world its not very well used. If it really was as useful as us fans seem to think, I feel like it would be a lot more common.
Doubts over Pogba positional play are legitimate but it’s trainable at any age unlike height, strength, passing, technique, etc. Martial is an example of such a transformation. Also, Pogba is already playing deeper than he used to, so the transformation is already under way.

Crashoutcassius

it became typical on this forum to Classify a poster into some strata of average stupid posters thus“ becoming“ a more knowledgeable poster, so to say connosseur. Said connoisseu, unfortunately, doesn’t add any substance to discussion, other than phantom association from the “history of the forum”.
if you dont agree fair enough, just saying what I have seen. a signing doesn't have to mean a shift to shoehorn them into a consistent 11, they can simply be part of a squad that plays 60 games. that the fact that ole said exactly this whenever he has spoken about the window gives me more conviction that we will play as we have played and rotate

bond19821982

let‘s stop being arrogant by using cliche referrals to FM or FIFA. FM terminology is handy to explain tactics and deservedly widely used. constructive criticism is welcome.

What attributes MCT and Scott possess (Matic can be a DLP) that make them better than Pogba in that positions.

P.S. sick and tired of all these “smart“ posters
Infact, I should be saying that - using players as you like and saying this will work , works only in FIFA or FM.

Scott and McT are both the same . He is being nurtured to take over from Matic . Fred has already played there.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Infact, I should be saying that - using players as you like and saying this will work , works only in FIFA or FM.

Scott and McT are both the same . He is being nurtured to take over from Matic . Fred has already played there.
I’m not saying it will work. I’m looking forward to watching how the team tactics will evolve next season and want to discuss the formation with other posters.

Superunknown

5-3-2 with Maguire, Shaw and AWB as CBs. We'd need to rely on Williams and Laird for width, though. If we bought a couple more wingbacks, it might work with a bit of coaching. Then three B2Bs in midfield, as you say, and Martial/Rashford up top.
The 5-3-2 would be an interesting experiment, just to see what happens. Unfortunately, I think you'd need a great set of full backs to be doing that, who would be able to bomb up and down the pitch and be just as great/useful in attack and defence. The two best full backs that we have are in the CB position in that formation, so it would need a little moving around. Not sure AWB would do well in that system as a full back, but as a CB three, he could potentially see his calling there. I'd quite like to see him in that position.

The other issue with that formation is that one of Martial, Rashford or Greenwood would miss out, probably Greenwood. It's been exciting see the three of the them together, so I'd like to continue that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nobody thought Martial will lead the line, hold the ball, and press like crazy. Pogba‘s problem is that he is good at everything. Deepest midfield player suits his skill set the best in my opinion. Especially ability to carry the ball and long passing. He is tall and strong and will be able effective against long balls. Can tackle, can hold the ball. He is actually an ideal DLP. He just need to embrace the role and stop trying to be everything.
Pogba has poor defensive positioning, he isn’t very good at tracking the runs and he takes risks at the rate of a creative player (which he is).

So, basically, you take away pretty much every of his strong points aside from his glorious long passing, force him to focus on his physical presence (he is a natural athlete, but he isn’t known for bullying the opposition with his size) and put him in a position where all of his weaknesses (he doesn’t have many, but he has some) are painfully exposed. Nice!

bond19821982

Didn't Liverpool try that before Fabinho ? It could work if you have good one on one defenders.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If you’re going to play all three together, it’s either a diamond (which would probably be the best option for everyone of them) or a 5-3-2, but we don’t have a reliable center back (yet?) to pull that one off.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't think Solskjaer will move away from his preferred 4-2-3-1. VdB also appears to have spent a lot of the season playing in a 2 (rarely at 10).

I wouldn't rule us out lining up with Pogba slightly deeper of a 2 with VdB.

Robbie Boy

Don't disagree. I'm just saying about our options there.

We need a new strong DM who is quite good on the ball. If Scott is that guy, I am all for it.
We should really have brought in an upgrade for Matic and kept him as a squad option. McT and Fred play best as B2B midfielders and neither look competent in a deeper role. I fear that Ole wants to shoehorn McT into that role but it doesn't look natural to him whatsoever.

Deery

Dreary
Doesn’t Bruno play on the right for Portugal in a free roaming position we could always play 4-3-3 like that.

DeGea
Wan Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Shaw

Matic Pogba

De Beek

Fernandes Martial Rashford​

ThinkTank@Cafe

Pogba has poor defensive positioning, he isn’t very good at tracking the runs and he takes risks at the rate of a creative player (which he is).

So, basically, you take away pretty much every of his strong points aside from his glorious long passing, force him to focus on his physical presence (he is a natural athlete, but he isn’t known for bullying the opposition with his size) and put him in a position where all of his weaknesses (he doesn’t have many, but he has some) are painfully exposed. Nice!
My theory relies on his abilities (attributes) which you don’t deny and on the simple assumption that a players traits (which you listed as weaknesses) can be changed. Martial, Alaba, Ox, Giggs, CR7, there is an endless list of players who changed their traits (and often positions) to be more productive for the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With van de beek being pure box to box and Bruno probably better all round as that half 8/half 10 type of midfielder, think we'd need Pogba to learn to be able to play the deeper midfield role like Thiago has for Bayern. Not easy, and until now I haven't seen it with Pogba that he can be a disciplined deep lying playmaker while having the 2 energetic players in front of him. There will be games we do this, but more often will be some other system IMO or just one sitting out. Long term I think Pogba will just leave next summer and we'll sign a deep lying playmaker more suited to providing creativity behind VdB and Bruno.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Liverpool destroyed us under Rodgers when Moyes was the manager with that system, playing Sterling at the top of the diamond. Ancelotti's Milan sides in the mid 00s played it consistently but they had the perfect players for it. Its not used as frequently now but I think most fluid systems tend to have a wide player drift in and effectively create an overload in midfield.

::sonny::

Henderson

AWB Smalling Maguire Shaw

Pogba

B.Fernandes VDB

Greenwood Rashford

Martial​

ThinkTank@Cafe

Doesn’t Bruno play on the right for Portugal in a free roaming position we could always play 4-3-3 like that.

DeGea
Wan Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Shaw

Matic Pogba

De Beek

Fernandes Martial Rashford​
For that we need a pair of extremely gifted (in terms of technique and vision) players as wing backs

Devil81

Wonder if we could play the following,

4-1-3-2

With Matic sat deep and Pogba and Van Der Beek to the left and right of Fernandes who is in a slightly more advanced ten role.

Then rotate Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Igahlo up top.

Chief123

If Pogba is to be our defensive midfielder then we are in for a shit season.

He’s pretty bad defending when in a double pivot, never mind on his own.

IAmAWinner

Matic is a must, unless we buy an even better defensive midfielder.

Deery

Dreary
For that we need a pair of extremely gifted (in terms of technique and vision) players as wing backs
Portugal haven’t got the most attacking fullbacks and it works for them, we would need Martial to put up big numbers though as they have Ronnie up front..

wolvored

Pogba dwells too long on the ball and has had it taken off him quite a few times last season. He cant be the dm.