Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

This is poor form from United.

He is a talented lad who has been thrust forward in his development because this fraud of a club are peddling the narrative of ‘young & British”.

I don’t know how he’ll eventually turn out but if there are not other players under 23 that could have come in this summer to reinforce this attack I’m amazed.

He’s not ready for the 1st team & when he does come in his experienced counterpart is a 21yo winger, come striker.
He's Dutch.

Zlatattack

This is poor form from United.

He is a talented lad who has been thrust forward in his development because this fraud of a club are peddling the narrative of ‘young & British”.

I don’t know how he’ll eventually turn out but if there are not other players under 23 that could have come in this summer to reinforce this attack I’m amazed.

He’s not ready for the 1st team & when he does come in his experienced counterpart is a 21yo winger, come striker.
He's Dutch.

Raven

Needs to fill out before he becomes good enough, he's very skinny and weak.

SteveW

Headless chicken. Really struggling to see the hype.
His overhyping has been bizarre from day one. Remember all the whinging on here when Jose didn't play him against Juve? The usual clueless shite from people who don't watch the reserves regularly.

Kopral Jono

Usually you see glimpses of outstanding ability in youth, but they can't perform at that level consistently. I genuinely don't see anything potentially great in him - he's not that good of a dribbler, he's not even that fast etc.

Maybe he shows something different in training though and, of course, perhaps he'll magically step up a few levels in a year as every player has a different curve of development. But I doubt it.
Yeah, when Januzaj first burst into the scene he looked an excellent dribbler with an eye for a pass but without the sheer pace needed to become a proper winger. But you always got the sense that you could work something out with Januzaj.

I don't follow the youth team/reserves granted, but I just don't get that with Chong from what I've seen so far of him.

Zlatattack

I think because we're so bare bones this season we'll probably see more of him, but I think he'd benefit from going out on loan next season and getting regular games. He looks very good amongst the kids and lost amongst the men.

There's a player in there somewhere, but he needs regular game time to develop - he's not good enough to get that here, atm.

AFC NimbleThumb

He's Dutch.
When did I say he wasn’t?

I was calling out the narrative of “young & British” as the reason we didn’t find a suitable attacking talent of any nationality instead of throwing in a player who’s not ready to play.

Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I want him to succeed as much as anyone, because, you know - that hair!... but I have genuinely thought all of his first team appearances so far have been pretty bad...

I want to give him a chance though, because that hair is just so damn wonderful, isn’t it?

Last edited:

Zlatattack

I was calling out the narrative of “young & British” as the reason we didn’t find a suitable attacking talent of any nationality instead of throwing in a player who’s not ready to play.

If you re-read your post, it can be insinuated that you consider him British. I can't read what you didn't right. I agree with your general point though.

Dve

Needs to fill out before he becomes good enough, he's very skinny and weak.
Yes, he can work on that, and his decision making as well. I´m more worried about his close control and balance, to be honest. I don´t think he´ll be at United in 3 years time.

Raven

Yes, he can work on that, and his decision making as well. I´m more worried about his close control and balance, to be honest. I don´t think he´ll be at United in 3 years time.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, clearly the least ready of the 3.

AFC NimbleThumb

If you re-read your post, it can be insinuated that you consider him English. I can't read what you didn't right. I agree with your general point though.
We’re not on the forum to discuss insinuation.

You chose to read quite a few sentences & knit-pick to point out a fact that has been obvious since the guy first signed, pointing out Chong’s nationality strikes me like saying United played in red tonight.

I’ve re-read & get your point though. Honestly he can be Dutch, Zambian or English - the boy isn’t ready & the club are hiding behind a narrative that doesn’t hold water. The world of football is full of ‘young’ players with a desire to improve that are currently better than Chong & for whatever reason we didn’t attempt to sign them which is unforgivable imo.

SteveW

Your point was unclear hence a couple of people needing to correct you. I'd suggest wording things better in future instead of being snarky.

AFC NimbleThumb

Your point was unclear hence a couple of people needing to correct you. I'd suggest wording things better in future instead of being snarky.
You’ve just called me snarky after pointing out the guy is Dutch but hey-ho, I’d suggest not stating the bleeding obvious.

We’re going away from the topic at hand here, thanks for the advice & have a great evening.

AJ10

Has a lot of development left before he can be a squad player imo.

SteveW

You’ve just called me snarky after pointing out the guy is Dutch but hey-ho, I’d suggest not stating the bleeding obvious.

We’re going away from the topic at hand here, thanks for the advice & have a great evening.
Because you are being snarky. What does me pointing out that he's Dutch have to do with that?

izec

Dont know how he won that trophy last year for best young player, he looks way behind Gomes and Greenwood.

AFC NimbleThumb

Because you are being snarky. What does me pointing out that he's Dutch have to do with that?
Again, we are moving away from the topic of the thread.

You’ve read my post in a way it wasn’t intended, it’s a forum so this happens & we move on.

I agree the response to your rebuttal was snarky, I think your response was ignorant but I’m moving on.

Chong is Dutch & I think the ‘young & british’ narrative the club has used stopped us from buying a player more ready than he currently is. Which is bad for player & club.

Happy to debate my point but I can’t help if I hurt your feelings responding to you.

SteveW

Again, we are moving away from the topic of the thread.

You’ve read my post in a way it wasn’t intended, it’s a forum so this happens & we move on.

I agree the response to your rebuttal was snarky, I think your response was ignorant but I’m moving on.

Chong is Dutch & I think the ‘young & british’ narrative the club has used stopped us from buying a player more ready than he currently is. Which is bad for player & club.

Happy to debate my point but I can’t help if I hurt your feelings responding to you.
That's how your playing this? My response was ignorant and my feelings are hurt?? You sound like a teenager.

Let's leave it there.

AFC NimbleThumb

That's how your playing this? My response was ignorant and my feelings are hurt?? You sound like a teenager.

Let's leave it there.
Nothing like someone ignoring your request to leave it posts ago then trying it posts later.

You’re following me from thread to thread getting emotional.

Mods, is there a restraining order function?

Again. Stick to the thread topic please.

Redtings

Dont know how he won that trophy last year for best young player, he looks way behind Gomes and Greenwood.
Agreed, thought he was dreadful. Would like to see him on loan to see what he can do away from United.

But if I’m being brutally honest, I don’t think he’s that great...hope I’m wrong.

SteveW

Nothing like someone ignoring your request to leave it posts ago then trying it posts later.

You’re following me from thread to thread getting emotional.

Mods, is there a restraining order function?

Again. Stick to the thread topic please.
Responding to you in 2 threads isn't following you. Emotional?

Jesus, just put me on ignore. Anything is better than this rubbish.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not his best unfortunately. He’s definitely better than that but you have to take your chances when you get them.

Seems like he suffers with nerves/pressure

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Does he tear it up in the reserves? Ole and McKenna seem to think there’s something there but for the life of me I can’t see it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Posted 19mins ago.

Let's leave it there.
Posted 8mins ago.
Responding to you in 2 threads isn't following you. Emotional?

Jesus, just put me on ignore. Anything is better than this rubbish.
Posted 2mins ago.

:nono:

0le

The minutes he is getting will be invaluable for his development.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Same reason he won the u18s one. They are voted by people who have watched a grand total of 0 games. In particular as he actually had a bit of a poor season last year by his own standards. He benefits from the foreign hype of the general public. His name is all in the papers when we sign them at 16 so people recognize the name and vote for them. You can see it now with people constantly trying to claim Traore or Puigmal are fantastic while at the same time not even knowing who Dylan Levitt was who is far better.

I'm disappointed Chong didn't go on loan. There are limited opportunities to give out to the young lads and he simply just doesn't deserve any of those minutes over Mason and Angel. He's still a good player but he would have benefited from playing regularly in the Netherlands for the year. He also seriously needs to get used to his body. For the past year his limbs have been completely uncontrollable. He seems to struggle to just stand up these days.

SteveW

Same reason he won the u18s one. They are voted by people who have watched a grand total of 0 games. In particular as he actually had a bit of a poor season last year by his own standards. He benefits from the foreign hype of the general public. His name is all in the papers when we sign them at 16 so people recognize the name and vote for them. You can see it now with people constantly trying to claim Traore or Puigmal are fantastic while at the same time not even knowing who Dylan Levitt was who is far better.

I'm disappointed Chong didn't go on loan. There are limited opportunities to give out to the young lads and he simply just doesn't deserve any of those minutes over Mason and Angel. He's still a good player but he would have benefited from playing regularly in the Netherlands for the year. He also seriously needs to get used to his body. For the past year his limbs have been completely uncontrollable. He seems to struggle to just stand up these days.
Agree with ever word of that.

Alexit

Does he tear it up in the reserves? Ole and McKenna seem to think there’s something there but for the life of me I can’t see it.
Same :rolleyes:, after this I will have to temper my excitement whenever I hear someone from the reserves who's "ready". Loan the lad and let him develop some more.

kundalini

Disappointing performance. A few too many poor touches and seemed to lose confidence in the 2nd half. Tried a couple of ambitious passes that didn't come off. Lost almost all his physical duels.

Having said that, I still want him to start Europa League and domestic Cup games.

Status
Not open for further replies.