5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I don't think the raw tools are there but he seems to have some good instincts for a wide player, I'd guess a solid Eredivisie career but not a special one.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Far from ready, and can’t really see him ever being ready for United. Would be better to focus on Gomes and Greenwood for now and let this guy go on loan, maybe somewhere in Europe.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think the raw tools are there but he seems to have some good instincts for a wide player, I'd guess a solid Eredivisie career but not a special one.
Far from ready, and can’t really see him ever being ready for United. Would be better to focus on Gomes and Greenwood for now and let this guy go on loan, maybe somewhere in Europe.
Writing him off already? He had options to go on loan I was told on here, some tasty options too. Wanted to stay - already a good sign. Has done well in some cameos. Against both Leicester and PSG. Looked very good at youth level. And is also coming into a side that is disjointed with no match sharpness. Give the kid some time to come good.

Devil may care

He's one of those players that never looks in full control of his limbs when he's running, energetic but ineffective.

Winmove

Let's be honest , he is lesser player than Gabriel Obertan.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Difficult night for him, did very little right. Luckily for him we've a game against Rochdale soon which will probably give him a chance to redeem himself.

Many of us said he seems like he'd benefit from a loan a lot more than Greenwood or even Gomes, I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in January.

jackal&hyde

I'll put that performance down to nerves. As difficult as it might have felt for him, i'm sure it did him well to see first hand the pressure at playing at Old Traford and next game he'll be a lot less nervous.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tough game for him. To be honest I've not seen a specially talented player in him but on the weekend he did offer us something different and made an impact. Let's see how it goes for him.

LoneStar

Had an awful game. I didn't see one standout attribute.

Could someone who follows the youth team tell me what his strengths are supposed to be?

Name Changed

weso26
I won't write him off but I don't see what he brings and never have. Maybe he was nervous. Obviously he can play better. Solskjaer has name dropped him a few times so he must see something and he knows far more than the rest of us.

Kostov

He is better than what he showed tonight, but it was very disappointing performance. I just hope he learns from this and does not go hiding. Next time he gets a chance he must play better.

Mike Smalling

I don't want to be too harsh on the younger players, but that was really bad. There seems to be a pretty big gulf in talent and potential between Chong and Greenwood/Gomes.

Even in the few cameos he has had, he seems to be misplacing simple passes and generally makes a lot of mistakes. As others have said, he should probably be loaned out.

Snow Pharaoh

I know it's early days for Chong, but I don't buy the argument that he is a young player and probably the nerves got the better of him. Either you got it or you don't - at least if you want to be a Manchester United first team player. Comparing his performance to for example the performance yesterday from Arsenal's Saka, makes me really doubtful for Chongs United future.

But of course, I hope he proves me wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

It was a disappointing performance by all accounts.
If we get the likes of Sancho in, that would effectively be the end on this lad.

Alabaster Codify7

Of the kids, Chong was the poorest. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, let him play another 50-60mins against Rochdale next.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought he did "ok" on the left, but when they switched to the right at HT he just can't do it. He looks lost playing as an inside forward.

settembrini

He had a poor game but anyone writing him off is ridiculous.

There's a reason he won the u23 POTY last season and the u18 POTY the season before. Same reason why he has been fast tracked into the first team squad with Gomes, Greenwood and Garner. He's a very talented player with big potential.

Mickson

There's a reason he won the u23 POTY last season and the u18 POTY the season before. Same reason why he has been fast tracked into the first team squad with Gomes, Greenwood and Garner. He's a very talented player with big potential.
To be honest, it was the public who voted for him and they, with all respect, do not have a clue who was the best U18 or U23-player. It's generally pretty accurate but Gomes was better. With that said, Chong is still raw in a way particularly Gomes isn't. He should've been loaned out to Feyenoord or something.

jackal&hyde

To be honest, it was the public who voted for him and they, with all respect, do not have a clue who was the best U18 or U23-player. It's generally pretty accurate but Gomes was better. With that said, Chong is still raw in a way particularly Gomes isn't. He should've been loaned out to Feyenoord or something.
Did you fallow the u18 and u23 the last two years? If so, how would you asses Chong as a player? To me he looked so nervous that i couldn't tell anything about his potential qualities.

settembrini

Yes I know it was the public that voted for him. Same as the first team player of the year award. That's doesn't make his achievement less meaningful and neither does you thinking a different player should have won.

I agree that he is less first team ready than Gomes but I am happy we have him in the squad this year. He will get decent playing time in the Europa League and Carabao Cup.

OverratedOpinion

I never like to say this and I have felt the need to say this regarding Chong on multiple occasions but I just don't see anything that suggests he has the required level of talent to make it here. I would love to be proven wrong but I am quite confident in this one, very average even when I have watched him at youth level.

opopop

Well he had a good career but clearly he's never going to make it now. Can already see he's in decline.

Any 15 years old in the youth teams that can take his place?

Craig Ward

I thought overall he was poor. Sloppy passes, weak on the ball and just made little to no impact on a whole.

What I will say is, he is young. He doesn't deserve the bashing he's having on here saying he'll never make it etc. The over reacting is a bit harsh. Lets calm it down.

He had a better 1st half than 2nd and was rightly subbed.

I personally think he looks the type of player who needs to be involved to get the best out of him - like the play going through him. As we know, it was a frustrating night breaking Astana down. We simply didn't get him in the game enough, likewise Greenwood and Gomes. Our build up play to the attackers was frankly, not good enough. The longer this went on, longer between touches he just drifted out of the game. Whereas Greenwood stayed alert, Chong got sloppy.

He looked so poor on the right hand side too, which is a worry for his game time as all of: James/Rashford/Martial are better options off the left side.

He needs game time, hopefully he gets better the more he gets

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I never like to say this and I have felt the need to say this regarding Chong on multiple occasions but I just don't see anything that suggests he has the required level of talent to make it here. I would love to be proven wrong but I am quite confident in this one, very average even when I have watched him at youth level.
I feel the same. Really hate to give my opinion on this because it's negative but i said the same after pre season. He's incredibly raw. What works for him at youth level doesn't and will not at senior level. He's not rapid enough to compete with the athletes he will face and that takes away 80% of his edge that he has at youth level.

He'll get more opportunities and it may turn out that he's just incredibly nervous right now and it's debilitating to him.

Reiver

Disappointed with him last night. He seemed really reluctant just to take players on which I thought his game was all about. It's one match though and I'm certainly not going to write him off.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he's pretty shite tbh. Watched him a few times now and I still don't know what he excels at.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why do you think the people that voted haven't watched a single u23 game? That seems like a pretty weird thing to believe.
Because to vote for the first team you had to vote for the u23s. Why do you think that the majority of fans watch the u23s? That is a weird assumption because they obviously and statistically don't.

There are even countless posts on here of people saying who they voted for and following up with saying they never watched a game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yup. It's the nature of Chong's game that he's going to be inconsistent for a while, especially in the early stages of his career. He may never put it together, but he definitely does have potential, it's just on his off days it'll be days like yesterday where literally nothing comes off. He'll learn from it and get better. Its obvious he is a lot more raw than Gomes and Greenwood, but that doesn't mean he has no potential.

joedirt87

Keep playing him in cup games. He will get better with more experience or he will be just as rubbish and we will know he's not at this level. Hell he may have to play at the weekend if James isn't fit.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Give him games in Europa league and he will improve. He didn't do much last night, but hes a young lad who needs games.

Think Ole should have played them all in their best positions though from the start. Greenwood Striker, Rashford left and Chong on the right. Rashford isn't a striker

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Chong's display last night was the weakest of the academy lads, but Ole and the coaching team obviously see the ability there to give him the opportunity to play, for some players it can take a number of senior games before they start to show that ability, and for some, they will never be able to replicate their youth form on the big stage. Chong, as will the other lads, including Garner and possibly Ramazani (if he keeps up his current form) will get plenty of games between now and the end of season to show improvement, and to see if they can handle big boys football. You can never write off young players.

IAmAWinner

Obviously will never make it here. Another youngster that was weirdly hyped by United fans.

settembrini

Because to vote for the first team you had to vote for the u23s. Why do you think that the majority of fans watch the u23s? That is a weird assumption because they obviously and statistically don't.

There are even countless posts on here of people saying who they voted for and following up with saying they never watched a game.
I would assume that the majority of people who voted in these awards are hardcore fans who also watch the u23s and u18s. I watch the youth teams and voted in the awards and the only other people I know who voted for them also watches the youth teams.

As for the 'countless posts on here' I did a bit of looking around and I found all of one post from someone saying they might have voted for Chong without having watched the games for the 2018 awards. But they weren't sure who they picked as it was just a random name to them. Which you would expect to be the case if they didn't watch the games.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/man...e-two-tonys-smile.438356/page-2#post-22479159

I did see post after post after post by you insisting that Chong shouldn't have won either award and only did because of idiot fans who didn't watch games. Here are 3, there were quite a few more.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/tahith-chong-2018-19-performances.440091/page-31#post-24121307

https://www.redcafe.net/matches/man...diff-city.283/discussion?page=9#post-24131648

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/angel-gomes-2019-20-performances.448814/page-32#post-24547819

It looks to me like you are very upset that Chong won awards that you wanted other players to win and as such have created, and are attempting to spread, a narrative that he didn't deserve his success. If I am mistaken then please link me to all these people you claim are on here which support your argument because one guy saying he might have done it are hardly the 'countless posts' you claim.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I would assume that the majority of people who voted in these awards are hardcore fans who also watch the u23s and u18s. I watch the youth teams and voted in the awards and the only other people I know who voted for them also watches the youth teams.
Then you are incredibly deluded as is the rest of your post. I don't need to spread a narrative as every other knowledgeable poster agrees that he doesn't deserve the awards or that the majority of fans watch academy games which you've for some reason plucked out of your ass.

The voting is spread all over the internet, about 1% of which would follow the academy at best. United has millions of fans who use the internet and are capable of voting in an online poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.