Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
A real shame he isn't featuring. Granted he's unproven but when was the last time Mata came on and changed a game? Worth having him on the bench at least.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'll get this started..........ffs not even on the bench, he's leaving for Barca or PSG.
Although I’m not happy with him not being in the squad do you really think he’d get more of a chance at those teams? He’s going to get game time here and when he proves he’s a better option than Mata and Lingard he’ll take their place.

AJ10

Although I’m not happy with him not being in the squad do you really think he’d get more of a chance at those teams? He’s going to get game time here and when he proves he’s a better option than Mata and Lingard he’ll take their place.
Of course not but its the usual response here when he didn't start in pre season. He'll get his chance and I think he'll come good.

lsd

The Oracle
Will be gone next season. No way he is going to stick around if he can't even make the bench and Ole doesn't rate him

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yet Chong won u23s player of the season.
Voted for idiots who don't watch the games. Wow, such a certifiable fact. By the sounds of it, one of those was you.

I didn't follow it that closely either but my recollection is that Gomes started the first game, got subbed off and was then dropped from the first 11 for the rest of the tournament.
He was returning from a long injury and struggling for fitness, especially in the Indian heat.

You basically have no clue what you're talking about so why bother writing all these lengthy posts about youth matches you clearly didn't even watch?

R'hllor

To bad he is not included, he might not be included often due his contract thing, so they could do a Pogba approach and not promoting him. Imagine if we give him minutes and he impresses a lot, his hand would get stronger and stronger each passing day, God knows those corporate clowns wouldnt like that. Its just a theory, who knows whats really going on.

podurban2

He'll get his chance, season is long.
If he’s going to develop he shouldn’t wait until the end of the season for a couple of odd appearances. He deserves a shot ahead of Mata or Lingard based on pre-season alone. Sooner rather than later.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Will be gone next season. No way he is going to stick around if he can't even make the bench and Ole doesn't rate him
Maybe wait a tad longer than the first game of the season before you shit the bed eh?

Crashoutcassius

Disappointed he isn't on the bench but also not sure who you drop off the bench for him. Need a cb and full back and cm and gk. Need James and Greenwood. I guess it was him or Mata... game 1 of season it is prob the right decision

pascell

1st game of the season, he'll get plenty of starts this season I'm sure of it. If he doesn't sign then he doesn't sign, the club will do everything they can to keep him, that's a given.

Matson

Some of you guys need to calm. Its literally the first game of the season against Chelsea. Gomes will get his chances this season but this isn't the game for it. He will most likely play in the cups and hopefully against some lesser teams.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Some of you guys need to calm. Its literally the first game of the season against Chelsea. Gomes will get his chances this season but this isn't the game for it. He will most likely play in the cups and hopefully against some lesser teams.
The issue is that he deserves more. He’s shown just as much if not a lot more than Mata and Lingard in preseason. Football isn’t a reputation game. Mata isn’t anything special anymore he’s just blocking a hugely promising talent.

adamwest

He’ll play. Too much negativity surrounding him. He’ll be signing a new contract this season IMO

luke511

If we think about how he changed the game when he came off the bench in the last friendly, it's a big oversight not to have him on the bench at least for this game. He's much better than Mata.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A real shame he isn't featuring. Granted he's unproven but when was the last time Mata came on and changed a game? Worth having him on the bench at least.
Last season against Chelsea in our home draw.

Mata just gets ripped left and right here for any conceivable reason

izec

It is the first game, but there are no guarantees he will appear on the team sheet in a few weeks or months. the same guys saying it is only the first game are the same guys that said it is only May in the transfer window. Ole will always choose Mata, Pereira and Lingard over Gomes, until the end of the season when it is too late and the lad signs for a CL club mid season. Ole just doesnt need him/rate him as high. Pity, because the guy is a proper talent slipping under our grasps.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The way I see it, he makes the bench if one of Mata or Lingard is injured (or both)

Fred may be picked ahead of him though, or Chong

R'hllor

Regardless of Gomes situation, is all this, its just a may, first game of the season, first game of EL, he is just X years old whole life in front of him, a default setting in some people or

podurban2

It is the first game, but there are no guarantees he will appear on the team sheet in a few weeks or months. the same guys saying it is only the first game are the same guys that said it is only May in the transfer window. Ole will always choose Mata, Pereira and Lingard over Gomes, until the end of the season when it is too late and the lad signs for a CL club mid season. Ole just doesnt need him/rate him as high. Pity, because the guy is a proper talent slipping under our grasps.
So true. There will always be a reason to not include him for some people, then he is gone and it's 'oh well it's his decision not the club's. We did everything we could.'

It's a pity if he doesn't get a chance within the first few weeks. It's so obvious he is already better than Mata, who I don't know why he is taking up a spot on the bench.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I will insist why I wanted Mata gone. Fred is also not on the bench and I suspect he will be ahead of Gomes. I any case, lets see how it pans out.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Can someone help me out with the statistics here.

Based on team selections available to us so far this season, am I right in concluding at this rate Angel Gomes will play 0 minutes of football this year?

Appalling management from Ole.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I will insist why I wanted Mata gone. Fred is also not on the bench and I suspect he will be ahead of Gomes. I any case, lets see how it pans out.
Gomes competition is utter cack, he'll get his chance sooner rather than later unless Ole is on some serious stuff. He'll see soon enough.

podurban2

Based on team selections available to us so far this season, am I right in concluding at this rate Angel Gomes will play 0 minutes of football this year?

When do you think he should get his chance? As in a proper chance, not subbed on in the 82nd minute.

mav_9me

Fair to say Mata and Fred are ahead of Gomes at this time. It's only the first game so doesn't mean much but he has to get gametime in league cup/ Europa and bench time in the league.

AJ10

:lol:

Icemav

God forbid an 18 year old have some patience and the club select senior players. I really rate him bit we need to be reasonable. Hope to see him feature in around 20 games this season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
When do you think he should get his chance? As in a proper chance, not subbed on in the 82nd minute.
On the bench v Palace. Starts in some Europa League games. Hopefully against some league one club in the domestic cups. Around Christmas maybe a cheeky little start in a home game against relegation fodder.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Starting every cup game would be a good start. If he does well then on the bench for the league with subs and maybe a start depending on fixtures.

This game means nothing. The problem will be if he isnt starting Europa League games.

jem

Honestly, what is the point if you're going to be so preemptively pessimistic? I'll admit I have my doubts about this team, but you seem to have written off Ole and co already.

R'hllor

Alot of smartasses, guess they are needed to balance our biggest problem.

jem

The issue is that he deserves more. He’s shown just as much if not a lot more than Mata and Lingard in preseason. Football isn’t a reputation game. Mata isn’t anything special anymore he’s just blocking a hugely promising talent.
I would say making any kind of conclusions based on a preseason is a dangerous game to play. He looked good from what I saw, but again, preseason. Ole gets to see him in training every day and given that Ole likely wants what's best for the team, I imagine he has good reason for taking a patient approach.

jem

So true. There will always be a reason to not include him for some people, then he is gone and it's 'oh well it's his decision not the club's. We did everything we could.'

It's a pity if he doesn't get a chance within the first few weeks. It's so obvious he is already better than Mata, who I don't know why he is taking up a spot on the bench.
Really? Based on a few moments in preseason? I'm sure if I trawled through posts from this time two years ago, I would find similar posts about Pereira. Turns out he wasn't as good as we all hoped. Of course, I hope Gomes is all that, but to say that he is already better than Mata based on a very limited sample size, is extremely speculative, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.