Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't have faith at the top of the club, but I do have faith in people like Nicky Butt.

He's not going to let Angel walk without a fight, we clearly know how talented the boy is, but he is only a boy.

We were reluctant giving 6ft + Pogba a run in the team, so i'm not surprised we're being cautious with little 5'6 Gomes.

I would expect they'll give him the League trophy matches against the league 1 sides, see how he fares and go from there.

If he can survive the likes of Rotherham, Lincoln etc.. then he will be fine for mens football.

I suspect he will start the cup matches, Europa league games, then maybe a few appearences over the festive season.

edgar allan

I think Gomes getting consistent minutes on loan would have been the preferable outcome for this season. There's Mata, Sanchez and Lingard ahead of him vying for the no. 10 role. It's no exaggeration to predict that Gomes will struggle for minutes this season, even taking into consideration Solskjaer's propensity to fielding young players.

It obviously benefits him training with the first team, however, but he needs serious minutes on the field. He's now 19, and whilst that by no means makes him old, he is at an age where he's ready for more minutes at a higher level., regardless of any perceived physical shortcomings.
Mata , lingard and Sanchez have had their chsnce and are finished at top level.
Please, please give the youth a chance.
I couldn't stand another year watching their underperforming efforts.
Mata tries hard tbf.

Robert

I just hope we do right by this lad and give him the chances he deserves this season. If not then he’s definitely out the door next year I fear.

He’s clearly got rare ability and looks eager to show it. It’s also noticeable that the debate of his stature has quietened down a bit during pre season, he’s shown he can mix it with some top opposition at times.

I’m optimistic and hoping he can push these imposters like Lingard and Mata to the fringes. Come on Angel!

NWRed

Greenwood, Gomes and Chong all missing from the U23s game.
Greenwood didn't play Tuesday either.

There's a good chance of Greenwood starting against Chelsea and both Gomes and Chong being on the bench

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He’s clearly got rare ability and looks eager to show it. It’s also noticeable that the debate of his stature has quietened down a bit during pre season, he’s shown he can mix it with some top opposition at times.
Thats because the Caf has ascertained the fact that he is only 5ft 3in tall without boots. And he aint getting any taller.

End of discussion.

;)

POF

He hasn't a signed a new contract yet due to uncertainty surrounding his chances at first team level. He's 19 now and is a fantastic talent with outstanding ability on the ball and is deserving of a chance at first team level.

It will come down to Ole and the coaching staff to decide if he will play a part this season at first team level which will ultimately decide his future. If not, then i'm sure many clubs around Europe would more than Welcome him with open arms. Spain and Germany would be the two likely destinations imo.
If this is how he's thinking, I find that really surprising. Since he's come in, Ole has extolled the virtues of the academy. The first thing he did when he joined was build his attack around Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Pogba (3 academy players), marginalising more experienced players like Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata.

He regularly played McTominay and Pereira ahead of Fred because he seems to have great trust in the mentality of players coming through the academy.

Gomes (along with Chong, Greenwood and Garner) have been fast tracked into pre season tours and training with the first team even well before Ole arrived. All 4 should be in no doubt that the club's ideal scenario is for all of them to become first team players.

If Gomes doubts he's good enough to make it at United then maybe he should move on. But if he thinks he'll get more first team opportunities at another club of United's stature, he will be very disappointed.

sherrinford

If this is how he's thinking, I find that really surprising. Since he's come in, Ole has extolled the virtues of the academy. The first thing he did when he joined was build his attack around Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Pogba (3 academy players), marginalising more experienced players like Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata.

He regularly played McTominay and Pereira ahead of Fred because he seems to have great trust in the mentality of players coming through the academy.

Gomes (along with Chong, Greenwood and Garner) have been fast tracked into pre season tours and training with the first team even well before Ole arrived. All 4 should be in no doubt that the club's ideal scenario is for all of them to become first team players.

If Gomes doubts he's good enough to make it at United then maybe he should move on. But if he thinks he'll get more first team opportunities at another club of United's stature, he will be very disappointed.
It’s not surprising at all really. From the outside certainly, I would say it doesn’t seem that Solskjaer fancies him.

I don’t think he doubts his ability, and so what if he can’t find another club of United’s stature who will play him more? He can go to a ‘lesser’ team and get more opportunities - it’s all about proper game time.

POF

It’s not surprising at all really. From the outside certainly, I would say it doesn’t seem that Solskjaer fancies him.

I don’t think he doubts his ability, and so what if he can’t find another club of United’s stature who will play him more? He can go to a ‘lesser’ team and get more opportunities - it’s all about proper game time.
Gomes struggled with the step up to the u23s and it was only later last season that he started to impact games at that level. It would have been madness to play him in the first team more last season.

We'll see how much game time he gets this season but he needs to earn it like everyone else. The signs are there that if he does, he will get his opportunity. The challenge for Gomes is that he's a play making number 10 and it's such a pivotal position, it's rare to have such a young player in that role at a big club.

Maybe he doesn't have the patience or faith in his own ability to earn his first team spot at United and he'll move to a lower level in England or to a mid table German team.

If that happens, it would be a real shame. As a local kid who has been in the academy since he was really young, he has more chance of making it at an elite club at United than anywhere else.

He would be a really good option as an impact player this season. Against a packed defence late in games he could make a real impact either from the left or as a number 10. With Martial looking likely to play a lot more up front this season, Gomes could get quite a few opportunities on the left.

LuckyScout78

I think this boy can play as a box to box nr.8. Beside his best position is a free cam, a free nr.10.

He is really with the ball and its hard to take ball from. Even he is a small guy.

Ole shall use him as a nr.8 in training. To see how exactly well he is doing as a nr.8. Before using him in matches.

Raven

Gomes struggled with the step up to the u23s and it was only later last season that he started to impact games at that level. It would have been madness to play him in the first team more last season.

We'll see how much game time he gets this season but he needs to earn it like everyone else. The signs are there that if he does, he will get his opportunity. The challenge for Gomes is that he's a play making number 10 and it's such a pivotal position, it's rare to have such a young player in that role at a big club.

Maybe he doesn't have the patience or faith in his own ability to earn his first team spot at United and he'll move to a lower level in England or to a mid table German team.

If that happens, it would be a real shame. As a local kid who has been in the academy since he was really young, he has more chance of making it at an elite club at United than anywhere else.

He would be a really good option as an impact player this season. Against a packed defence late in games he could make a real impact either from the left or as a number 10. With Martial looking likely to play a lot more up front this season, Gomes could get quite a few opportunities on the left.
You're severely understating this fella's ability. Did you watch preseason by any chance?

Red_toad

You're severely understating this fella's ability. Did you watch preseason by any chance?
What do preseason games have to do with anything! My nan could look good against Perth Glory, that crap Leeds team

We’ve basically seen glimpses of potential with the first team. Lad needs to step up and force his way into the team. He has a lot to prove, certain fans want opportunities gifted to him, for me he’s got to earn them. He’s got a lot of potential for sure.

POF

Yes, every game except the one in Norway. I don't underestimate his ability at all. The comment I originally responded to suggested he was holding off on a new contract so he could leave if he doesn't get enough first team football.

I just don't think he's ready to be a regular starter in the first team yet and if he leaves because of it he'll do more harm to himself than United.

He's a fantastic talent but there is a massive step up from pre season and u23s (2nd division) football to the EPL. He struggled with the step up from u18s to u23s but has certainly made major improvements in the last 6 months.

Most will scoff at the suggestion but the EPL will be a challenge for him physically. He's got to be eased into it until he learns to deal with the extra athleticism. I think he would do really well coming off the bench when the opposition starts to tire and could be an excellent impact player. That should be enough for him this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

He was our best player the entire season, not just at the end of it. He actually started taking the step up about April of last year, after that he’s basically been indisputably our best U23 player, everything we did went through him under Sbragia.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Yes, every game except the one in Norway. I don't underestimate his ability at all. The comment I originally responded to suggested he was holding off on a new contract so he could leave if he doesn't get enough first team football.

I just don't think he's ready to be a regular starter in the first team yet and if he leaves because of it he'll do more harm to himself than United.

He's a fantastic talent but there is a massive step up from pre season and u23s (2nd division) football to the EPL. He struggled with the step up from u18s to u23s but has certainly made major improvements in the last 6 months.

Most will scoff at the suggestion but the EPL will be a challenge for him physically. He's got to be eased into it until he learns to deal with the extra athleticism. I think he would do really well coming off the bench when the opposition starts to tire and could be an excellent impact player. That should be enough for him this season.
There is a massive gap between a regular starter and having more game times. How many game did Pobga start before he left?

In Rainbows

this is just wrong

He was great from the start of last season. It's only in 2017/2018 that he was like that and that was the season where he was plagued with injuries.

Raven

He's earned his chance to be involved early season because he was one of our best players on the tour. The other side of it is that he'll be looking at Sancho and thinking he could do the exact same.

Gomes isn't just some good young talent, he's exceptional.

POF

He was our best player the entire season, not just at the end of it. He actually started taking the step up about April of last year, after that he’s basically been indisputably our best U23 player, everything we did went through him under Sbragia.
Yet Chong won u23s player of the season.

He's earned his chance to be involved early season because he was one of our best players on the tour. The other side of it is that he'll be looking at Sancho and thinking he could do the exact same.

Gomes isn't just some good young talent, he's exceptional.
He will get opportunities under Ole. That's my whole point. If he continues to impress in training, he will get chances. It's up to him to earn his opportunities and take them (in competitive games) when they come.

He certainly is a top class talent but he's proved nothing yet. Phil Foden is far more proven. He has dominated under age tournaments where Gomes couldn't get in the team, yet his game time at City pretty much consists of 15 minute cameos when his team are 3-0 up.

I would be absolutely delighted if Gomes plays his way into the side this season and dominates EPL games from the number 10 position.

If it doesn't happen this season, he'll get many more chances if he stays at the club. He just needs to be patient.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

This is a sensible post and right on the money. Gomes needs to be eased in. He’s an exceptional talent but it’ll take time for him to adjust to the PL. what we are seeing here is the typical youth talent cycle we always see. Desperate, knee jerk fans clamour for young players ascension to starting xi, setting expectations unreasonably high. The first time he falters, the same fans will absolutely slate him. We’ve seen this movie countless times. Thank you for your reasonable post in the face of so many shooting you down.

I think Angel can make it here and be a big player for us, but I am also tempering my expectations; because it’s hardly a sure thing. It never is with young players. Greenwood, for example, looks as good as anybody I’ve ever seen come though our academy; but there’s no guarantee he’ll kick on. Just a reasonable hope and expectation.

POF

This is a sensible post and right on the money. Gomes needs to be eased in. He’s an exceptional talent but it’ll take time for him to adjust to the PL. what we are seeing here is the typical youth talent cycle we always see. Desperate, knee jerk fans clamour for young players ascension to starting xi, setting expectations unreasonably high. The first time he falters, the same fans will absolutely slate him. We’ve seen this movie countless times. Thank you for your reasonable post in the face of so many shooting you down.

I think Angel can make it here and be a big player for us, but I am also tempering my expectations; because it’s hardly a sure thing. It never is with young players. Greenwood, for example, looks as good as anybody I’ve ever seen come though our academy; but there’s no guarantee he’ll kick on. Just a reasonable hope and expectation.
Thank you. I completely agree. Both Greenwood and Gomes are fantastic talents. I really hope both can make a major step up this season. The midfield is crying out for creativity so there is a huge opportunity for Gomes.

What frustrates me about this is the insinuation that if Gomes isn't starting every week by the end of the season he should leave for more playing time. The development of young players isn't always linear and taking the players out of the firing line at the right time is every bit as important as giving them game time.

It is also really important for the culture Ole is trying to build that players earn their spot in the team on merit. Just because Gomes is a top class talent, he shouldn't be in the side if he's out of form. Standards have to be set that if your form drops, there will be others ready to take your spot. That's what Fergie's success was built on.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Thank you. I completely agree. Both Greenwood and Gomes are fantastic talents. I really hope both can make a major step up this season. The midfield is crying out for creativity so there is a huge opportunity for Gomes.

What frustrates me about this is the insinuation that if Gomes isn't starting every week by the end of the season he should leave for more playing time. The development of young players isn't always linear and taking the players out of the firing line at the right time is every bit as important as giving them game time.

It is also really important for the culture Ole is trying to build that players earn their spot in the team on merit. Just because Gomes is a top class talent, he shouldn't be in the side if he's out of form. Standards have to be set that if your form drops, there will be others ready to take your spot. That's what Fergie's success was built on.
Exactly right. It’s Pogba syndrome though isn’t it? People willing to throw the kitchen sink at Gomes through guaranteed playing time, lest he leave at the end of the season. Which is just daft. Gomes will almost certainly gets lots of minutes, and he should be happy with that. The future is very bright for him here. I am sure he’ll stay.

Joseunited

I have a sneaky feeling he'll start today.He played 90 minutes against Rotherham on Tuesday so he can handle the physical side of things.I think he's ready to for the premier league.

POF

Exactly right. It’s Pogba syndrome though isn’t it? People willing to throw the kitchen sink at Gomes through guaranteed playing time, lest he leave at the end of the season. Which is just daft. Gomes will almost certainly gets lots of minutes, and he should be happy with that. The future is very bright for him here. I am sure he’ll stay.
The club has fast tracked all 4 of these kids through to the first team squad. That should be enough of an indication that they are highly valued and very much part of the club's long term plans.

Gomes seems a sensible lad with his feet on the ground so hopefully he will sign a new long term contract and commit his future. With the modern player and entourages that seem to surround them though, you never can tell.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Time will tell whether he expects to be a first team starter. I would expect (hope) that he just wants more involvement in the first team. Not necessarily as a starter.

Also, I think the biggest risk, in terms of clubs showing an interest and turning his head, will come from abroad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He certainly is a top class talent but he's proved nothing yet. Phil Foden is far more proven. He has dominated under age tournaments where Gomes couldn't get in the team
Wasn't Gomes the captain of that team, and it was only the fact that he was just coming back from injury that meant he was mostly coming off the bench? I was only half-following it so I could be wrong. Unless you are talking about another tournament.

I think the thing that is worrying people is that Ole might be overly fixated on his size, so Gomes will only be limited to small bits and pieces even if he deserves the game time by out-performing the others. Obviously he'll get some chances, but Ole has stressed on his size a couple of times now and he had some of the lowest minutes on the tour despite being better than many (all?) of the players he'll be competing with. I don't think many people are expecting him to be a starter all season, but he also shouldn't be just the kid who gets to play every now and then.

Obviously if he gets chances and doesn't perform, so be it.

Mr PG

We have excellent youth players but none are physically ready. Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner.... all excellent technically all 1 yr away from being regular starters physically at least.

Cantona in disguise

Gomes and Greenwood are ready for the step up this season. They need blooding in this year but I feel gomes will cope as he finds his feets with more minutes. Greenwood is ready for more minutes also.

I think ole needs to be brave and take some risks and this will pay off. If he starts with mata and lingard either or every game he will be gone by Christmas in my opinion.

I've got a good feeling ole will use the young lads and it will pay off. Greenwood will score goals at any level once he finds his feet an absolutely brilliant kid.

I'm most excited about seeing more of gomes I think he will be that creative link we are missing. Hes not going to play every game but he should be playing against the mid table to lower sides ( not that any game is easy in the prem).

POF

Wasn't Gomes the captain of that team, and it was only the fact that he was just coming back from injury that meant he was mostly coming off the bench? I was only half-following it so I could be wrong. Unless you are talking about another tournament.

I think the thing that is worrying people is that Ole might be overly fixated on his size, so Gomes will only be limited to small bits and pieces even if he deserves the game time by out-performing the others. Obviously he'll get some chances, but Ole has stressed on his size a couple of times now and he had some of the lowest minutes on the tour despite being better than many (all?) of the players he'll be competing with. I don't think many people are expecting him to be a starter all season, but he also shouldn't be just the kid who gets to play every now and then.

I didn't follow it that closely either but my recollection is that Gomes started the first game, got subbed off and was then dropped from the first 11 for the rest of the tournament.

Maybe Ole is fixated on his size but maybe he should be. The EPL is as physical and fast paced now as it ever has been. Juan Mata has played in the league for years and struggles massively with the physicality.

Lingard broke through later than others of his age group because he was so small. Fergie was very selective in the games Paul Scholes played. Nicky Butt was often preferred to him as he was more physically developed.

I have no doubt that Gomes can adapt and his size won't be a problem, but I do have doubts that he can do that at 18, in particular in a central role. He is really tiny and not lightning fast. It would be no surprise if it took him longer than others in his peer group to make the step up to senior football.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maybe Ole is fixated on his size but maybe he should be. The EPL is as physical and fast paced now as it ever has been. Juan Mata has played in the league for years and struggles massively with the physicality

Lingard broke through later than others of his age group because he was so small. Fergie was very selective in the games Paul Scholes played. Nicky Butt was often preferred to him as he was more physically developed.
I would say the league is more focused on mobility, agility and fitness than it ever has been, but less focus on strength. Especially in midfield. That seems to suit Gomes quite well. He's not the fastest, but he's faster and more agile than Mata and probably Scholes ever were. Not sure about fitness, as it's hard to judge that until he plays a full 90 minutes in the starting team quite often.

Lingard is perhaps the one exception, but he relies almost entirely on his physical attributes so it makes sense he wouldn't really break through until those were reaching their peak.

Bestietom

This guy could be our Modric. He will win us games this season from the bench. Just hope we sign him up quickly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We have excellent youth players but none are physically ready. Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner.... all excellent technically all 1 yr away from being regular starters physically at least.
Not being regular starters isn't a problem. If a couple of them play a squad role this year and most importantly, develop as footballers, it'll be a terrific result for us.

Classical Mechanic

I didn't follow it that closely either but my recollection is that Gomes started the first game, got subbed off and was then dropped from the first 11 for the rest of the tournament.

Maybe Ole is fixated on his size but maybe he should be. The EPL is as physical and fast paced now as it ever has been. Juan Mata has played in the league for years and struggles massively with the physicality.

I have no doubt that Gomes can adapt and his size won't be a problem, but I do have doubts that he can do that at 18, in particular in a central role. He is really tiny and not lightning fast. It would be no surprise if it took him longer than others in his peer group to make the step up to senior football.
He was injured for the U17s Euros so that was the first time the team started functioning without him. He was carrying an injury into the World Cup and was a sub in the first two games. He started the last group game and started the round of 16 game against Japan. He was poor in that game which was the worst of the tournament for England and they needed pens to get through. He was back to a bench role for the semi and the final. He had been the captain of the group for a few years and whenever he came on they gave him the armband.

AJ10

I'll get this started..........ffs not even on the bench, he's leaving for Barca or PSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.