Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
AZ Alkmaar 0:0 Man Utd

kundalini

Poor performance on a difficult surface. Still hoped for a lot better.

At this stage, every game is useful experience.

If ever there was a time to attempt to breakthrough at United as a no 10, it is right now with Lingard and Mata struggling to find form. It will be far more difficult if a glamour signing arrives in the summer.

Early days for Angel. Look to get 10+ starts this season, around 1000 mins, in the 1st team, the vast majority in Europa League and domestic Cup competitions, then build from there.

Last edited:

mewnew11

He plays with shit players around him not his fault. Mata only passes sideways. It must be frustrating for the kids playing with the experienced idiots we have .

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What difficult surface? How can all amateurs adjust to any surface you put them in within 20 mins but these professional footballers can't adjust to a surface that has no humps or bumps, rather it's only more bouncy?

Had England run out of astro pitches for the team to train on? This is a bullshit excuse

kidbob

Needs midfielders who have the vision, bravery and quality to play him passes in between the lines. Will always be a guy who struggles without that unless you are a team who camps in the other team's half ala Pep's style.

Raven

He was alright, touch was a bit loose at times though. Really want to see him with the first team.

GamerKurisu

I can't blame any of the youngsters tbh, he didn't do much wrong but didn't do much either, Keane and Neville are right, youngsters back then had good experience around them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stadjer

Didnt see much of him. Not exactly taking the opportunities to impress when he does get to play but he isnt worse than Mata/Lingard/Pereira i think.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Still waiting to see how he's going to make a real impact in our team. He looks like your typical youngster, some decent flashes but generally quite poor... Particularly today.

He's the kind of youngster that you want to bleed into a good team... Oh wait, that's every sodding youngster.

Alabaster Codify7

In and out of the game, didn't do much. Hard to judge him to be honest but gun to head, he isn't striking me as a game-changer from what I have seen I'm sorry. Kind of like a young version of the current Juan Mata - neat, tidy, nice enough passer but no real presence or threat to him. Gomes at least has youth on his side, I'd like to see him playing as a #10 behind more prolific forwards.

LJJT

He’s got potential but obviously not the saviour everyone’s been suggesting in August/early September. Needs time, fans won’t allow time.

Ace of Spades

Felt a bit sorry for him. Kept getting moved around, and when getting into good pockets of space our players, usually Matic and Mata would ignore him. He is not a wide player, he will never be consistent there with his lack of physicality and pace.

He was not good today, but I would rather watch Gomes play than past it cowards like Mata or Matic in the team. At least it gives young players like this vital experience and helps them adjust to pro football, and will help in the long run.

Treble

Doubt he is good enough at this point to start at championship teams, at good ones anyway. Same with Greenwood.

Red_toad

He plays with shit players around him not his fault. Mata only passes sideways. It must be frustrating for the kids playing with the experienced idiots we have .
So he’s absolved for his own performances now?
I keep seeing posters stating they’re better than the regular starters, so isn’t it up to them to rove that? Or do we need an entire team built around them? Get a chance and show you’re worthy for me, all day long.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Like most of our youngsters. Lightweight, can run around a bit, but way off being anywhere near ready for the first team.

Cliche Guevara

He was not good today, but I would rather watch Gomes play than past it cowards like Mata or Matic in the team. At least it gives young players like this vital experience and helps them adjust to pro football, and will help in the long run.
This is the big issue for me. There is no guarantee it will be beneficial in the long run and often after a small number of games it becomes clear that young players are nowhere near ready to contribute sufficiently.

I don’t think comparing young players to poor players is necessarily in anyone’s interests.

Asger

Still waiting to see how he's going to make a real impact in our team. He looks like your typical youngster, some decent flashes but generally quite poor... Particularly today.

He's the kind of youngster that you want to bleed into a good team... Oh wait, that's every sodding youngster.
I think he needs to play in his position, It makes you sad when Mata and Lingard are getting his 10's playing time. Plus, all our midfielder wants to take 200 touches before pass the ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he needs to play in his position, It makes you sad when Mata and Lingard are getting his 10's playing time. Plus, all our midfielder wants to take 200 touches before pass the ball.
We might as well give him minutes as it will be no worse, but I don't think he'll be great at 10... Ultimately our movement up front/ lack of attacking play would make it hard for anyone to be an effective 10 in our side.

the chameleon

I think these kids aren't being nurtured properly by Ole. His handling of the youngsters has been. What is he expecting? Another Busby Babes or Class of 92? All of the teams that produced a solid batches of youngsters had some credible people as seniors. Where are the influential and strong characters that were there to protect him. Beckham Scholes Giggs had Bruce, Cantona, Pallister and more. Ronaldo had Neville, Giggs and Keane. They need these mentor figures. These guys have Pogba, Lingard and Mata. None of them leaders. This makes a huge difference.

I don't know what happened but there needed to be a strong midfield and Lukaku replacement signed. It would have eased the pressure off these kids. Now all they have is a thread that's shooting holes in their game.

I think with a good tactical coach and a few seniors, we would see a different side to some of these boys.

caid

This is the big issue for me. There is no guarantee it will be beneficial in the long run and often after a small number of games it becomes clear that young players are nowhere near ready to contribute sufficiently.

I don’t think comparing young players to poor players is necessarily in anyone’s interests.
Trusting in youth should have been trusting in Martial, Rashford, McTominay, Shaw and AWB and getting in experienced players to play with them and cover for them when they're form and confidence was low. I can see Gomes and Greenwood contributing as the season wears on, mainly because were a mid table team so the bar isn't that high for them. They would have benefited more from playing a season in a league closer to their level though imo. A season in the Netherlands or Portugal could have been perfect for them.
They're too close to our first team atm. Rashford, James and Martial aren't they kind of guys capable of giving some guidance either. James being first choice is risky too, its paid off fairly well so far but you'd have to be pretty optimistic to expect him to retain this form and energy for too long.
It was a blatantly terrible plan to leave our squad in its current state.

UncleBob

We might as well give him minutes as it will be no worse, but I don't think he'll be great at 10... Ultimately our movement up front/ lack of attacking play would make it hard for anyone to be an effective 10 in our side.
His Europa League performance argues otherwise.

Mr PG

Now we know why they haven’t been getting minutes. None of the kids are good enough....period.

ManchesterYoda

Now we know why they haven’t been getting minutes. None of the kids are good enough....period.
That's what I was thinking watching the game against Alkmaar. I want to know whether they've gone backwards due to not playing as much and being part of the first team squad where the coaching is garbage or have they always been over-hyped? Does it mean Garner is even worse? Garner didn't even get a start in the pre-season friendlies.

Adcuth

I don't think the way our team is set up, tactics that are trained on or in game instructions will help any of our young lads. The fecking senior players don't look like they have a clue never mind the kids. It basically looks like they mostly have to make up the game plan as the game goes on, and unless you have Ronaldo or Messi then allowing players to do their own thing will always end up with shite performances.

UncleBob

That's what I was thinking watching the game against Alkmaar. I want to know whether they've gone backwards due to not playing as much and being part of the first team squad where the coaching is garbage or have they always been over-hyped? Does it mean Garner is even worse? Garner didn't even get a start in the pre-season friendlies.
:lol:

Devil may care

Had a couple of decent moments but struggled overall, I think the front 3 were all confused by the constant switching of positions.

caid

He just came back from injury.
Both he and Greenwood look very good to me, for 18 year olds. We just aren't in a great position to take advantage of the strengths of players like them
Them coming into an older, more settled, successful team could just offer something a bit unexpected. You'd expect them to work their ass off to try and prove they belong on the same pitch as Cantona or Keane. Maybe chase some lost causes and try make things happen because they probably wouldn't play next week anyway so running themselves into the ground wasn't a big issue.
The circumstances these guys are coming into are drastically different.

Matst1

:lol:

These are the comments that crack me up the most. A talented young kid getting much needed minutes has one poor game and is written off along with the rest. I mean, it's just pathetic.

In Rainbows

So he’s absolved for his own performances now?
I keep seeing posters stating they’re better than the regular starters, so isn’t it up to them to rove that? Or do we need an entire team built around them? Get a chance and show you’re worthy for me, all day long.
He isn't any worse than the senior players. For all this talk of him being poor, it's important to contextualize why he was poor. He was poor because he didn't assert himself. It had nothing to do with him being outmuscled, having crap technique, passing like crap, etc... he was a bystander.

This has been a constant negative throughout his time as a youth player. No, not constant as in every game or almost every game. Just that when he does have a bad performance it's due to this trait to be passive. This is why I think he'll make a great midfielder in the vein of Modric, Scholes, etc... not quality because that's impossible to know, but type of midfielder.

Let him develop. Let him get used to the pace of the men's game and the pressure that comes with the size of crowd watching his performances.

King Andow

19 years old, never got a run of professional games, coming back from injury, playing out of position with a midfield of Fred and Matic behind him, still there's people complaining :lol:. In the 2 games he started, he showed more than Mata, Pereira and Lingard all season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
19 years old, never got a run of professional games, coming back from injury, playing out of position with a midfield of Fred and Matic behind him, still there's people complaining :lol:. In the 2 games he started, he showed more than Mata, Pereira and Lingard all season.
Yet there's people putting him up on their lineup as if they're the young beckham.

It's funny reading back on people telling us to sell the deadwoods and play youngsters, as if they cant be any worse

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s got potential but obviously not the saviour everyone’s been suggesting in August/early September. Needs time, fans won’t allow time.
He was never the saviour. No one player is the saviour let alone a youth product.

In Rainbows

Yet there's people putting him up on their lineup as if they're the young beckham.

It's funny reading back on people telling us to sell the deadwoods and play youngsters, as if they cant be any worse
He wasn't though. Thing is, those older players won't improve where as there is a greater chance he improves. Sorry if that fact bothers you.

R'hllor

Dont think they can.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Like our manager completely out of depth. Not sure if it is down to our players abilities or the coaching but our attacking play is a disgrace and seems to get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.