Tahith Chong

RC89

Anybody seen this kid enough to hazard a guess as to how good he can be and what sort of player he is?

izec

Going from various comments and his youtube videos, he seems like a star in the making. Also with his hair, a potential marketing target.

Mojo_pin

Anybody seen this kid enough to hazard a guess as to how good he can be and what sort of player he is?
I haven't seen him, save a few youtube videos, but for what it's worth....an international scout on twitter (his tweets are protected) advises that Chong's play reminds him of George Best.

RedRover

I haven't seen him, save a few youtube videos, but for what it's worth....an international scout on twitter (his tweets are protected) advises that Chong's play reminds him of George Best.
He must be old if he ever watched George Best.

RedRover

What, like 55-65, must stink of piss that old fecker
A half decent George Best was playing about 45 years ago in an age before Any proper TV coverage. It's fair to assume he's either a decent age. Or just taking rubbish.

gulli_G

Looked nowhere near 1/4 George Best last match, was that his debut?

gulli_G

If a 16 year old is 1/4 of the talent a 27 year old George Best had for his last game with us I'd take that mate
Point was on that performance he was nowhere near 1/4, hence I asked if that was his debut, could have been him just settling in.

We need an rvn

Point was on that performance he was nowhere near 1/4, hence I asked if that was his debut, could have been him just settling in.
I kinda own what you meant, but you've got to understand you're comparing George best vs a 16 year old with new team mates, new league and language and he's in the youth league. Apples and pears. Let's wait to compare pears and pears for a few years ;)

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
In terms of playing style i dont see the similarities with Best tbh...

jb8521

Only similarity with Best is the way he keeps the ball close to himself and under control when dribbling at pace

Rossa

Very. He's a leftie too.
I would prefer if he was reminiscent of Giggs - I think he was much more exciting to watch than Bale; think he was faster too, and much more agile as well as being a better dribbler. But that is a whole different debate. I do prefer the agile, quick dribblers though who can get to the byline and whip in crosses. The inverted wingers are almost a little tedious these days...

Leonard17

I would prefer if he was reminiscent of Giggs - I think he was much more exciting to watch than Bale; think he was faster too, and much more agile as well as being a better dribbler. But that is a whole different debate. I do prefer the agile, quick dribblers though who can get to the byline and whip in crosses. The inverted wingers are almost a little tedious these days...
Giggs, Bale, Best.. This is beyond ridiculous now. I know people are excited about him, but it's going too far. The kid is just 16, in his first coupla weeks at the club and he has these expectations/comparisons already. It's no wonder Butt said the club doesn't like to boast about our players and their potential, they let other clubs (City) do that. Think people should let him play and see how he develops, so much can happen.

Scholsey2004

Giggs was more graceful. Bale's far more effective though.

Scholsey2004

Giggs, Bale, Best.. This is beyond ridiculous now. I know people are excited about him, but it's going too far. The kid is just 16, in his first coupla weeks at the club and he has these expectations/comparisons already. It's no wonder Butt said the club doesn't like to boast about our players and their potential, they let other clubs (City) do that. Think people should let him play and see how he develops, so much can happen.
Theyre comparing playing styles, not ability. Its just a descriptive method of telling someone what type of player they are, not a serious assessment.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Giggs, Bale, Best.. This is beyond ridiculous now.
Dont think people are comparing talents, just playing style and there is nothing wrong in that.....but its interesting to see all this names and how everybody sees something different, to me he isnt similar to neither of three based on this game against Liverpool and the little i saw in that tournament highlights video.

Leonard17

Theyre comparing playing styles, not ability. Its just a descriptive method of telling someone what type of player they are, not a serious assessment.
That "comparison" or "assessment" more often than not leads to a tag. "He's the next this or that". That's what I mean and with United fans, those tags are thrown about loosely.

Scholsey2004

That "comparison" or "assessment" more often than not leads to a tag. "He's the next this or that". That's what I mean and with United fans, those tags are thrown about loosely.
Yeah, Powell's the new lampard rather than powell's like lampard, i know. That happens anyway though. You cant legislate for over-inflated expections.

In Rainbows

He reminds me of the way Adnan dribbles with the ball. Very elegant on the ball.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He has played four games in the Otten Cup and started both Academy games this season so far.

Given what I have seen live he has excellent close control, likes to run at people and is always looking for the ball. He looks to have really good balance, very confident and can make a pass too.

I don't see any resemblance to Best or Giggs who were light years ahead of most of their contemporaries so there is no comparison to make.

He looks to be a player and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop. It's early days so you never know...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He has played four games in the Otten Cup and started both Academy games this season so far.

Given what I have seen live he has excellent close control, likes to run at people and is always looking for the ball. He looks to have really good balance, very confident and can make a pass too.

I don't see any resemblance to Best or Giggs who were light years ahead of most of their contemporaries so there is no comparison to make.

He looks to be a player and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop. It's early days so you never know...
Good to hear. There was certainly quite a battle for him anyway over the past 12 months and all the big clubs seemed to be keen.

Early days of course, but possibly the Dutch set-up could be on the verge of a desperately needed injection of quality in the coming years. Dutch football has lost its way of late, but with players like Chong and a number of Ajax kids like Famillia and others, better days may be ahead. Even TFM is not much older than them at 18.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Can anyone provide an update as to how this kid is getting on?
From what I’ve seen, really well. Seems big and strong for his age, a good dribbler who has an eye for a pass. 1 goal and 5 assists so far in 7 matches. The whole attack of U18 seems a talented bunch; Chong, Boonen, Gomes, Burkart, Buffonge...

jb8521

Can anyone provide an update as to how this kid is getting on?
He had a bit of a slow start in the first few games but has been excellent in the past few games, I saw him playing a few times for Holland and Feyenoord and he always seemed a bit moody and didn't influence the game as much as he could but his work rate seems to have gone up a huge amount since he joined us. His dribbling and balance are pretty exceptional and he's very good at getting away from tackles and making a yard of space to put in crosses. He's been called up to the Netherlands u19s for the Euro qualifiers which start tomorrow even though he's still only 16 so they obviously rate him highly as well. His assist for the 2nd goal at the weekend was brilliant

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Please keep it up and don't become Depay. I'd love for this guy to debut hair videos instead of Pogba