Take any one player at his peak from our past and put him in this team, who do you choose?

Well...

• Total voters

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The international break is upon us, and the catty back and forths are quite boring to read after a time, so here's a light-hearted topic.

Discussion that was had earlier today that I thought would be interesting to take to the caf given the diverse takes and approaches to problems we have on the forum. As the title says, you can pick anyone - their best version of - and slot them into this team, conceivably giving us a turbo boost away from our current woes. Who do you go for, and just how far do you think that player could take this team this campaign?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Ronaldo would probably win us game single handedly

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well, the two things I think we need most right now is a midfielder capable of controlling games and just generally dominating the oppositions midfield, and a wide player who can beat his man, create for others and be a goal threat himself. We obviously need a lot more, but those would be my priorities.

So, for me, it'd be out of Charlton, Scholes, Best or Ronaldo.

If I had to pick one, it'd probably be Charlton just because of how complete he was. Could control games, dribble, create, score, could hold his own defensively. Plus, he was a very versatile player. He could play in attack or as one of the midfielders in a two man midfield. Mainly because of how complete he was and his ambidexterity. I just love watching him play.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Anyone suggesting anything other than a central midfielder is wrong obviously.

tompo18

In my opinion first choice would need to be a central midfield player. (I agree Leftback99)

The player I have watched that I think would have the most influence would be Bryan Robson.

Charlton would have to be up at the top as would Best and Law, but it's too long ago and I haven't seen them in action so won't select them.

If we had a second player, I'd want a goal scorer and that would be Ruud.

Last edited:

Red Stone

I don't think I could bear seeing an old legend get Space Jammed by the toxic funk that currently permeates our club. Someone bland like Cleverley, maybe? Nothing of value would be lost.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Eric Cantona - if you don't perform he'd kick your face in

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Tbh, lots of United players from the past could repair things immensely, especially the dressing room. Peak Robson, Schmeichel, Larsson, Blanc, Zlatan, name one... United had them on every position.

Gut feeling, Beckham could have difficulties. Team's too static & chaotic at times, even for his pass aim.

Thom Merrilin

Peak Schweinsteiger was an incredible player that I always wanted at Utd so I'll go for him. I still have a jersey with his name on the back.

OleGunnar20

Keane without a shadow of a doubt. He'd hold this shower of shite to account, and I quite like the look of a Keane - Casemiro dynamic.

Blood Mage

2006-2009 Paul Scholes would probably have the most transformative effect on our current team. We badly need a midfielder like that.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
You can't go wrong with Rooney, Ronaldo or RvP as they'll brute force goals to overcome all weaknesses.

But I'd say to have a proper balance to the team, I'd take peak Keane or Carrick, both improving our midfield in their own way.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
Curveball, just because everyone will pick legends. Peak, uninjured RVP didn't last long, for either you or us. But peak, uninjured RVP would paper over an awful lot of cracks right now, again for either you or us.

Jev

Rooney, probably, for a combination of goal-scoring threat, creativity , attitude, versatility and all-pitch influence.

Disagree with those saying it would have to be a midfielder. A top-class attacking player is much more decisive and transformative than a top-class midfielder, which is why they're much more expensive. Plus, it's not like we're much better off up front than in midfield.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Peak Rooney, having him at his very best meant you were in with a chance in any game.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
There's only one Bobby Charlton, innit! He was as close as one could get to an immaculate overall package, and we do need the overall package at this moment in time — our version of someone like Di Stéfano, if you will. Would not single-handedly remedy all of our issues by any means, but you would get genuine love and care for the club (as well as universal likeability), someone who was uncontroversial (yes, this is something to consider these days!) and led by example while setting the highest of standards on and off the pitch, wonderful as a passer or dribbler who relentlessly strove to drive the team forward and hop-skipped past befuddled defenders, footballing IQ and tactical nous that were off the charts, excellent short, medium or long range shooting, a fair bit of control on proceedings as well as the effortless, instinctive creation of loads and loads of chances for others, talismanic goalscoring, unflagging industry and discipline (very atypical for someone so outrageously talented) and positional variability and knack for overcoming adversity, and so on and so forth. Scholes or Robson are terrific alternatives and better in certain categories, Cantona or Law produced more immediate transformative effects, Best or Cristiano boast higher match-deciding peaks at their absolute prime, but it's hard to look past Charlton — his total qualities as a footballer defy belief, and he could be a singular point of reference for the entire collective in a way that would not replicated by others.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
My first instinct was Keane, but I've always thought that his leadership style only really works in a team where the players are capable of reaching his huge expectations. Put a top team around him and he'd lift them to greatness through shear force of will and demand for perfection. But in a team that quite frankly isn't good enough, I'd expect a short-term improvement but ultimately I could see the entire thing self-destructing and ending even worse than it has been.

Part of me wants to still choose Keane and watch him burn it down though. Plus, even ignoring the mentality and leadership, Keane as a player is arguably what we need right now more than anything. Somebody who can deal with the defensive need while also being great on the ball, controlling the team around and just driving us forward.

Cantona, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, Rio and Vidic all also in the reckoning, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I can't comment on any of the earlier players.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
My first instinct was Keane, but I've always thought that his leadership style only really works in a team where the players are capable of reaching his huge expectations. Put a top team around him and he'd lift them to greatness through shear force of will and demand for perfection. But in a team that quite frankly isn't good enough, I'd expect a short-term improvement but ultimately I could see the entire thing self-destructing and ending even worse than it has been.

Part of me wants to still choose Keane and watch him burn it down though. Plus, even ignoring the mentality and leadership, Keane as a player is arguably what we need right now more than anything. Somebody who can deal with the defensive need while also being great on the ball, controlling the team around and just driving us forward.

Cantona, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, Rio and Vidic all also in the reckoning, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I can't comment on any of the earlier players.
Don't forget that Keane was arguably better for his country than his club, he was that good, so he worked tremendously well with far inferior players as he proved in the green shirt.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Don't forget that Keane was arguably better for his country than his club, he was that good, so he worked tremendously well with far inferior players as he proved in the green shirt.
I think that fits in with the short-term improvement though, and also knowing that he's with a team that will always be the underdogs. Long-term when games are coming week-in week-out is a different matter, especially when the expectations are that we should be competing for titles. I'd expect that ultimately he'd grow so frustrated and angry at the issues around him that he'd explode, and that our players aren't mentally strong enough to take it the right way so their heads would drop even further.

Sgreddevil

Ronaldo if you can only pick one. Need someone who can still brings you goals and win singlehandedly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This squad is begging for a prime Keane. He'd set the tone on and off the pitch. I'd like to see Sancho and Rashy walking on the pitch with Keano around.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ronaldo if you can only pick one. Need someone who can still brings you goals and win singlehandedly.
I am afraid that the time when players like Rooney and Park would cut their career short to compensate for Ronaldo's lack of workrate are over. Players are too smart then that. Football is a team effort these days and while Ronaldo was a magnificent player he would have struggled in this new world. Don't take me wrong, he would still a fantastic player but the level of toxicity would be high and the last thing we need is more toxicity and resentment.