Tammy Abraham - Roma Striker

SirAF

Ageist
I don't know if he is better. At his age, Lukaku was killing it for Everton.

But Abraham seems somewhat more adapted to the modern game, he is quite good technically, he is very agile, and he has the stamina. He is definitely a good player for Tuchel's gegenpressing style.

Something off the field must have happened with Tuchel for him to be completely ignored and sidelined. Either that or the board decided to sacrifice him in order to give the asset Werner as much space and trust as possible.
Lukaku was probably better overall at that age, but Abraham is much better technically.

Classical Mechanic

If Tammy were to continue scoring at the rate he has so far in his career then he'd hit 238 goals at club level by the time he'd played the 531 games that Lukaku currently has. Lukaku for comparison has 259 goals at club level. It's worth noting that Abraham scored 51 of his 105 goals so far at Championship level. Lukaku got 41 in Belgium. I actually think Tammy is similar to Lukaku in that his technique completely abandons him sometimes and he looks ungainly a bit too often. I think the main difference is that Tammy puts a good defensive shift for his side and is more mobile.

That said, I think people are over the top with their criticisms of Lukaku. I don't think he's truly elite or world class but his scoring record at club and international level is excellent and he falls into the bracket just below. Part of his quality is that he's never injured. His appearance record is fantastic, he's played in nearly every league game when he's been a XI player since the start of his career! He's not a player that I enjoy watching but he's had an incredible career so far. His numbers by the end of his career will be up there.

As you can see in the FBref scouting reports Tammy defensive stats are in the elite bracket whilst Lukaku's are quite the opposite

https://fbref.com/en/players/f586779e/scout/365_euro/Tammy-Abraham-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/5eae500a/scout/365_euro/Romelu-Lukaku-Scouting-Report

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If Tammy were to continue scoring at the rate he has so far in his career then he'd hit 238 goals at club level by the time he'd played the 531 games that Lukaku currently has. Lukaku for comparison has 259 goals at club level. It's worth noting that Abraham scored 51 of his 105 goals so far at Championship level. Lukaku got 41 in Belgium. I actually think Tammy is similar to Lukaku in that his technique completely abandons him sometimes and he looks ungainly a bit too often. I think the main difference is that Tammy puts a good defensive shift for his side and is more mobile.

That said, I think people are over the top with their criticisms of Lukaku. I don't think he's truly elite or world class but his scoring record at club and international level is excellent and he falls into the bracket just below. Part of his quality is that he's never injured. His appearance record is fantastic, he's played in nearly every league game when he's been a XI player since the start of his career! He's not a player that I enjoy watching but he's had an incredible career so far. His numbers by the end of his career will be up there.

As you can see in the FBref scouting reports Tammy defensive stats are in the elite bracket whilst Lukaku's are quite the opposite

https://fbref.com/en/players/f586779e/scout/365_euro/Tammy-Abraham-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/5eae500a/scout/365_euro/Romelu-Lukaku-Scouting-Report
The criticism of Lukaku comes down to his lack of workrate and how highly he thinks of himself.

If he worked hard, accepted his limitations and made a difference where possible (ala Giroud) I doubt they'll be many if any complaints about him,

Problem is he feels he's exempt from working hard and has the ego of CR7, you can only get away with that if you deliver on a very big scale, and he simply doesn't.

Gavinb33

Why Chelsea sold him and then bought Lukaku for 97 million will never be not funny to me.

I was unsure as to why no PL teams were takers for what Chelsea sold him for he'd do a good job at almost any club, if i was Arsenal i would have have been all over that deal for instance.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was unsure as to why no PL teams were takers for what Chelsea sold him for he'd do a good job at almost any club, if i was Arsenal i would have have been all over that deal for instance.
£34 million with a buy-back clause is a lot during Covid.

Also, the level of clubs who would probably have been interested would be a lot less attractive to Tammy than a chance to move to Rome.

Siezard

Why Chelsea sold him and then bought Lukaku for 97 million will never be not funny to me.

At the start of last season, it was a bit different. Aubameyang was 1st choice, Lacazette also in good form. And martinelli needs to play more. And there's also Nketiah and Pepe. And Tammy will definitely cost more if he goes Arsenal or United.

The same can be said of United before they buy CR7. Why not buy Tammy since you are going to sell Martial? Cavani is old.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Josh 76

Some of the transfers that Chelsea have been involved in lately have been laughable.

Selling Tammy and bringing Lukaku was a joke. Not to mention the players they have loaned out. Replacing Gilmour with Ñíguez was mind boggling.

Siezard

Also, the level of clubs who would probably have been interested would be a lot less attractive to Tammy than a chance to move to Rome.
Chelsea was robbed of a few mil. They can probably sell at 35 or 37 mil at that time instead of 34 mil. The buyback clause, though look good, is hard to achieve. I would much rather add in clauses. Add 5 mil if he scores 15 goals per season. Add another 5 mil if he scores 40 goals in the next 3 years for Roma. Add 5 mil if he represents England 25 times while playing for Roma (Something like the Martial clause)

The buy-back clause is 68 mil. Most players at that age can elevate their price and sell for 40-50+ mil which is what Roma may do soon.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Some of the transfers that Chelsea have been involved in lately have been laughable.

Selling Tammy and bringing Lukaku was a joke. Not to mention the players they have loaned out. Replacing Gilmour with Ñíguez was mind boggling.
Heavy dose of hindsight here.

duffer

Scout
Chelsea was robbed of a few mil. They can probably sell at 35 or 37 mil at that time instead of 34 mil. The buyback clause, though look good, is hard to achieve. I would much rather add in clauses. Add 5 mil if he scores 15 goals per season. Add another 5 mil if he scores 40 goals in the next 3 years for Roma. Add 5 mil if he represents England 25 times while playing for Roma (Something like the Martial clause)

The buy-back clause is 68 mil. Most players at that age can elevate their price and sell for 40-50+ mil which is what Roma may do soon.
you think we were robbed at 34 mil because could've got 35? You realise that sounds a bit silly, right? You could say that about literally every transfer ever. "Inter Milan were robbed because they could've got 98.5 instead of 97.5 million".

Gavinb33

PL teams still spent a lot of money sometimes on not that much at all so to stretch it a little further for Tammy Abraham to take away the clause could have been doable maybe.

As for the poster who said United could have been in for him maybe, we have Cristiano and Cavani and no real hope of getting Mbappe or Haaland I think so you have to look at the options available for the future and a lot of the elite forward options are aging or are few and far between with an ever increasing number of clubs in for them so you would have to consider all options if you are looking to bring in a forward.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Siezard

you think we were robbed at 34 mil because could've got 35? You realise that sounds a bit silly, right? You could say that about literally every transfer ever. "Inter Milan were robbed because they could've got 98.5 instead of 97.5 million".
Well, 'robbed' is the wrong word. Sorry English is not my native language.

But Chelsea's negotiating team was certainly bad (Kepa 72 mil, Lukaku 97.5 mil pounds). Similar to that of Man utd's negotiating team.

duffer

Scout
Well, perhaps robbed is the wrong word.

Chelsea's negotiating team was certainly bad (Kepa 72 mil, Lukaku 97.5 mil pounds). Similar to that of Man utd's negotiating team.
Hindsight is 20/20 and every team has bad signings. We also got Kante for 32 million and Azpilicueta for 6 million!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Two wrongs don't make the right. Lukaku may have been a bonkers transfer but Tammy doesn't fit Tuchel's type of system either.

We should done what Klopp did in similar situations and took the short term hit while waiting for the right one.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Two more goals tonight. That's 12 goals in the last 12 games now.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Tammy and Lukaku are about the same level but with different skill sets.

However, Tammy actually works off the ball and doesn't have a inflated idea of what is level actually is and is the younger player.

Chelsea selling Tammy with a buyback wasn't the wrong move as he was struggling to cement his place as a starting CF in the PL. However, buying Lukaku for £97m thinking he had improved in Italy, after all the evidence that he couldn't be a top CF in the PL has to be one of the most ridiculous transfers outside of Barcelona ever seen. Kepa is probably the only other one that comes close.

Stgun

Which striker didn't flourish under Mourinho throughout his career from club to club ? I can't name anyone.

Siezard

Tammy is a very good player. If you just scout him and observe his game play and NOT just watch highlights, you will know he's a very good player.

But he's still one or two tiers below world class so he still need to up his game further.

Pintu

Tammy was doing alright for Lampard in his first season. 15 PL goals. I might be wrong but apart from Costa, I don't think any other player has scored 15 non-penalty PL goals for Chelsea in the last 10 years.

Which striker didn't flourish under Mourinho throughout his career from club to club ? I can't name anyone.
Crespo and Sheva certainly didn't.

Drogba probably had his best years after Mourinho, but there is no denying he was good for him. Eto'o didn't score as much for Mourinho but he had a great season with him.

Higuain flourished after leaving Madrid and Mourinho. Benzema definitely benefited from the replacement of Mourinho by Ancelotti. And you can also say that both Higuain and Benzema suffered from being opposed to each other. Not necessarily Mourinho's fault.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's incredible seeing English players around the world and doing well.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I'm a bit surprised at how good his all round game has been.

I always thought of him as more of a poacher but he's so keen to participate in the buildup and link play.

He's also pretty quick for his size. His heading is pretty average though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm a bit surprised at how good his all round game has been.

I always thought of him as more of a poacher but he's so keen to participate in the buildup and link play.

He's also pretty quick for his size. His heading is pretty average though.
He tried to add that to his game at Chelsea. You could see him, under Lampard, trying to come deep, hold off defenders, lay it off etc but it was all a bit haphazard, so he tended to lose the ball a lot. Chelsea had the idea that we could challenge City and Liverpool with this squad, if we had a prolific striker. So in walks Werner, and then Lukaku. If the club had decided to bide their time and just build the squad over a couple of years, maybe Tammy's story at Chelsea could have gone differently. I personally do not think he'll be a truly elite striker but he could easily have been a very serviceable player in the title winning team if we stuck by his development/potential.

WButlerMU

When we talk about Tammy Abraham's level, you have to understand that playing in Serie A is much easier than in the EPL. There are slower defenders, the pressure is not so intense, you have more time and space to make the right decision in the episode of the game. What he does on the pitch in Italy is unlikely to be so easy for him in England.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Scored his 20th goal this season in a crucial game in the top 4 race.

16 goals in his last 21 games.

I'm so pleased that's it's going so well for him. Started out scoring 6 in his first 23, now scored 16 in his last 21.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

What does Lukaku have that he doesn't?
Competition for a starting spot in his national team is one. If Abraham had no competition for England he’d have loads of goals at international level too.

If Tammy scores 5 more open play goals in Serie A I think he matches Lukaku’s highest total of 16. Abraham isn’t always on pens for Roma. If Tammy can score 10 more goals this season he’ll have 30 in all comps which would be a career best.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
What does Lukaku have that he doesn't?
Lukaku is stronger, faster and a better finisher I guess.

Roma have actually created a bucketload of chances for Tammy. He's under his xG if I'm not wrong.

Tammy has had great development this season though and is improving every month. Jose is getting the best out of him like he does with his strikers.

Scored his 20th goal this season in a crucial game in the top 4 race.

16 goals in his last 21 games.

I'm so pleased that's it's going so well for him. Started out scoring 6 in his first 23, now scored 16 in his last 21.

Arguably the best player in the league based on current form. Atleast, he's right up there. Great attitude.

Can be an option for United in the future.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's great to see young English players being bought from clubs all over the world and doing well for them.

Pintu

Arguably the best player in the league based on current form. Atleast, he's right up there. Great attitude.

Can be an option for United in the future.
You haven’t been watching De Ligt and/or Barella.

Vernon Philander

Mourinho needs credit for this. I dont recall any other manager / team wanting Tammy, and what a great pick he's turning out to be.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
So so happy for him. Love to seem them doing good abroad. Like Jose said to Southgate. He is building him a beast of a striker.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He seems to really love it there too. Hope he continues to do well.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal were very interested. Abraham chose Roma over them.
No he didnt, he was stalling on a Roma move because he wanted Arsenal to come in for him but they didnt. Abraham is an Arsenal fan.