Tammy Abraham - Roma Striker

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's in sizzling form this guy. So good.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Never understood why he went to Roma with so little competition for his signing.

Pintu

It took him a few months to start scoring regularly in the league, but since 2022 he's been doing it again and again. 15 goals in the league and a total of 23 goals now.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Chelsea have a €80m buy-back clause if I'm not wrong valid from summer 2023..

Considering he's english and one of their youth product then I definitely can see Chelsea triggering the clause if he starts scoring also in big european matches and for England NT..

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What I never understood is how Tuchel kept him in the closet.
His pressing and passing numbers were awful. Last year in the PL he was 18th percentile in passes completed and 23rd percentile in passes attempted. He's a pure penalty box player; it's somewhat ironic that Tuchel identified that this wasn't the ideal archetype of striker for his system only for the club to go buy Lukaku (who to be fair is better on transitions than Abraham).

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
His pressing and passing numbers were awful. Last year in the PL he was 18th percentile in passes completed and 23rd percentile in passes attempted. He's a pure penalty box player; it's somewhat ironic that Tuchel identified that this wasn't the ideal archetype of striker for his system only for the club to go buy Lukaku (who to be fair is better on transitions than Abraham).
I didn't watch him much for Chelsea.

I have watched his every game at Roma. He has been anything but a penalty box player.

He's so eager to press opponents even after 70 minutes. His passion is infectious.

He wins long balls from the keeper and lays it down. Shows deep for the ball when needed. Also makes runs down the channel like Watkins does for Villa. Tammy looks pretty fast.

Jose has worked his magic on yet another striker. Tuchel's system looks way better without a striker anyways. Probably should just stick with Havertz there. Lukaku's been so underwhelming.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I have watched his every game at Roma. He has been anything but a penalty box player.

He's so eager to press opponents even after 70 minutes. His passion is infectious.

He wins long balls from the keeper and lays it down. Shows deep for the ball when needed.

Jose has worked his magic on another striker. Tuchel's system looks way better without a striker anyways. Probably should just stick with Havertz there. Lukaku's been so underwhelming.
Yep, it's win win all round.

As much flack as Mou gets for the way he manages wing/flair players he always seems to get it right with his striker.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

He wins long balls from the keeper and lays it down. Shows deep for the ball when needed. Also makes runs down the channel like Watkins does for Villa. Tammy looks pretty fast.

Jose has worked his magic on yet another striker. Tuchel's system looks way better without a striker anyways. Probably should just stick with Havertz there. Lukaku's been so underwhelming.
Oh I don't disagree with you - Tammy has been brilliant for Roma and has improved his game massively. Full credit to him and Jose (and the club) for showing faith. I was just responding to the post questioning why Tuchel didn't use him more. Don't think it's unfair to say that during his time at Chelsea, he was generally asked to come short and/or contribute more to our buildup play, and oftentimes was found wanting.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Oh I don't disagree with you - Tammy has been brilliant for Roma and has improved his game massively. Full credit to him and Jose (and the club) for showing faith. I was just responding to the post questioning why Tuchel didn't use him more. Don't think it's unfair to say that during his time at Chelsea, he was generally asked to come short and/or contribute more to our buildup play, and oftentimes was found wanting.
That’s the problem with any young, promising player at top clubs, though: high ceiling without a solid floor is not good enough (see also Bentancur and Kulusevski, now doing well at Spurs without the pressure to get trophies).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That’s the problem with any young, promising player at top clubs, though: high ceiling without a solid floor is not good enough (see also Bentancur and Kulusevski, now doing well at Spurs without the pressure to get trophies).
Agreed. Think Tammy going suited all parties; certainly he was unlikely to improve from Chelsea's bench. Very glad to see he's kicked on.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. Think Tammy going suited all parties; certainly he was unlikely to improve from Chelsea's bench. Very glad to see he's kicked on.
I hope we don't fall into the trap of getting him back for getting him back sakes.

If his attributes suit what we need when the time comes sure, but if Tuchel is still with us it would literally be another Lukaku situation.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I hope we don't fall into the trap of getting him back for getting him back sakes.

If his attributes suit what we need when the time comes sure, but if Tuchel is still with us it would literally be another Lukaku situation.
Agreed. Personally I want Lukaku and Werner gone this summer - happy to go into next year with Havertz and Broja as our strikers. Would want Dembele in on a free if possible - he brings elite creation from wide and goalscoring threat, and Tuchel is the man who unleashed him. Feel pretty vindicated at this point that we need more creation from wide as opposed to a striker - Havertz can absolutely take that role on and excel.

el3mel

You can say whatever you want about Mourinho but the reality is he knows how to improve his strikers and get the best out of them.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Tammy in the PL for us was essentially useless in the buildup and anywhere outside the box. Goes to Italy and blossoms. Lukaku was dominant in Italy and then comes here and has the very same issues Tammy had.

Really just goes to show the levels between the two leagues when such technically limited strikers can look so out of place in a top PL team but can rip it up in Serie A. And it’s not as though it’s a Chelsea issue because Havertz slots in seamlessly up top and makes us much more dangerous. It’s just a style clash I think. Like the other top teams in England, we look much better without a traditional #9.

Pintu

Tammy in the PL for us was essentially useless in the buildup and anywhere outside the box. Goes to Italy and blossoms. Lukaku was dominant in Italy and then comes here and has the very same issues Tammy had.

Really just goes to show the levels between the two leagues when such technically limited strikers can look so out of place in a top PL team but can rip it up in Serie A.
Of course it’s not the exact same level, but that doesn’t explain anything.

This sounds like some quite lazy punditry. Lukaku scored more than a 100 goals in England before going to Italy.

Tammy was scoring a fair share under Lampard before disappearing when Tuchel came.

And of course we could use your twisted analysis with other players who looked poor in other leagues and are shining in England to paint the opposite image.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I wanted Arsenal to take a chance on him in the summer there, unfortunately a move was only looking likely if we moved on either Aubameyang or Lacazette, & we failed to do so at the time.

I can see why Arteta wanted him, he fits well with how Arteta would want his striker to play.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Have to say, I always thought he was bang average at Chelsea and didn't understand why Roma paid so much for him, but Mou certainly knows his onions when it comes to strikers and created an environment where he's thriving. Can only be a good thing for England, so good on the lad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Of course it’s not the exact same level, but that doesn’t explain anything.

This sounds like some quite lazy punditry. Lukaku scored more than a 100 goals in England before going to Italy.

Tammy was scoring a fair share under Lampard before disappearing when Tuchel came.

And of course we could use your twisted analysis with other players who looked poor in other leagues and are shining in England to paint the opposite image.
On the contrary, most pundits would just look at the top line and be like "they score goals, what's the problem?".

Poacher types will get you to a certain point but at the very top of the game these days you need a lot more.

Pintu

On the contrary, most pundits would just look at the top line and be like "they score goals, what's the problem?".

Poacher types will get you to a certain point but at the very top of the game these days you need a lot more.
The analysis still has to be more thorough and relating to the concerned player’s own characteristics than just saying “he can’t score in England” “he struggles with the pace”.

Otherwise it’s no better punditry than this guy thinking Barella-Veratti are likely to get destroyed by a Rice-Phillips midfield, just because they play in the better league.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
I think he is thriving because of Mourinho's counter-attacking style. Most strikers will fare better in such a system than against packed defenses when playing for a more dominant team where the striker needs to be more skillful. That said, Tuchel should probably have given him more chances given how shit Werner has been. It remains a mystery to me how Werner was making the team ahead of him.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

But that was always true. Obviously the more well rounded you are, the better chance you'll be successful at a top club. If you are limited in some way though, finishing and movement are definitely the worst attributes to be limited in. Look at Inzaghi for example, very useful player for a top club but rarely consistently first choice because, although he was a master goalscorer, he didn't contribute much else. Certainly doesn't help those sorts of players when playing them as lone striker though I don't think. It's partly just that they often need a strike partner and most top clubs don't want to pick 2 strikers at the moment.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's not far off the top scorer summit and could easily get there on current trajectory. Currently joint third, 6 goals away from the top 2.

He's two goals away from scoring more goals in the debut season than any other player in Roma's history.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
He's not far off the top scorer summit and could easily get there on current trajectory. Currently joint third, 6 goals away from the top 2.

He's two goals away from scoring more goals in the debut season than any other player in Roma's history.
Maybe you can swap him for Lukaku.

Pintu

He will certainly achieve that, but this kind of statistics is really poor though. Batistuta scored 20 league goals (in 28 games) in his debut season. It was an 18 teams league. And his goals helped them win the league. Back when it was the best league in the world.

Classical Mechanic

The analysis still has to be more thorough and relating to the concerned player’s own characteristics than just saying “he can’t score in England” “he struggles with the pace”.

Otherwise it’s no better punditry than this guy thinking Barella-Veratti are likely to get destroyed by a Rice-Phillips midfield, just because they play in the better league.

He posted that at half time in the final. Italy were not in the game in the first half. Mancini made tactical adjustments which included bringing Barella off in the 54th minute and putting Insigne as the false 9. England lost control of the game in the second half and sat too deep looking to play on the counter.

That said, Goldbridge tweets like that to rile people up. He trades on that kind of stuff.

It's very unlikely that he'll bridge that gap in remaining games. If you look at non-penalty goal Vlasovic has 16 Immoble has 15 and Abraham 13. Maybe if he was on penalties full time for Roma he'd have a shot at the golden boot.

Pintu

He posted that at half time in the final. Italy were not in the game in the first half. Mancini made tactical adjustments which included bringing Barella off in the 54th minute and putting Insigne as the false 9. England lost control of the game in the second half and sat too deep looking to play on the counter.

That said, Goldbridge tweets like that to rile people up. He trades on that kind of stuff.
"Italy not in the final in that first half" is an English media myth. England only existed in the first 10 mn, Italy dominated that first half (65% possession and 6-1 in shots) but wasn't dangerous enough. The most determining substitution was introducing Berardi for Immobile, it helped make Italy more unpredictable.

Barella was replaced by Cristante, another Serie A player, definitely not on the levels of the mighty Leeds and West Ham midfielders.

Abraham is the PK taker now for Roma. While Vlahovic is not for Juventus.

Classical Mechanic

"Italy not in the final in that first half" is an English media myth. England only existed in the first 10 mn, Italy dominated that first half (65% possession and 6-1 in shots) but wasn't dangerous enough. The most determining substitution was introducing Berardi for Immobile, it helped make Italy more unpredictable.

Barella was replaced by Cristante, another Serie A player, definitely not on the levels of the mighty Leeds and West Ham midfielders.

Abraham is the PK taker now for Roma. While Vlahovic is not for Juventus.
It wasn't a media 'myth' in my opinion. In fact it's not something that I've heard mentioned by many people here. At half time my own thought was that it had been too easy. The half time shot map below shows the extent of Italy's 'dominance' a small number of low xG shots with most of them being from very far out.

Of course you can argue that England didn't offer much offensively in containing Italy but they did create and score the best chance of the half.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He will certainly achieve that, but this kind of statistics is really poor though. Batistuta scored 20 league goals (in 28 games) in his debut season. It was an 18 teams league. And his goals helped them win the league. Back when it was the best league in the world.
Yeah I'm certainly not trying to claim he's among the best in Roma's history or even compare him to a legend like Batigol. Just highlight how well he's doing. He'll go into Roma's record books and that's a pretty special achievement.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Arguably Batistuta was playing with better player than Abrahams, so in which case scoring, or at least chances created for him would have been of a high quality also?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yeah I'm certainly not trying to claim he's among the best in Roma's history or even compare him to a legend like Batigol. Just highlight how well he's doing. He'll go into Roma's record books and that's a pretty special achievement.
Nobody really cares about Roma, right? It’s about Abraham’s progress (yes, there is indeed) and his suitability to play for a must-win team: not as a first option, maybe… yet a useful, rotational, tactical player to have…….. more rounded than Lukaku and still improving, at this stage of his career.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nobody really cares about Roma, right? It’s about Abraham’s progress (yes, there is indeed) and his suitability to play for a must-win team: not as a first option, maybe… yet a useful, rotational, tactical player to have…….. more rounded than Lukaku and still improving, at this stage of his career.
Yeah most people here, myself included, are more interested in Abraham's progress than Roma's performances in general. I think, just like Guehi to Palace and Tomori to Milan, it was a win-win situation, it was certainly the best thing for their career to step away from Chelsea and forge a career of their own. I don't think Tammy is a particularly great fit for Tuchel's Chelsea but he did look good under Lampard. I know people will keep questioning Chelsea's wisdom in letting him go, the more he succeeds in Serie A, but I'm just proud to see an academy player we produced flourish, whether it's at Chelsea or elsehwere.

Nedved

Really just goes to show the levels between the two leagues when such technically limited strikers can look so out of place in a top PL team but can rip it up in Serie A. And it’s not as though it’s a Chelsea issue because Havertz slots in seamlessly up top and makes us much more dangerous. It’s just a style clash I think. Like the other top teams in England, we look much better without a traditional #9.
Lazy analysis. Lukaku was a beast at both Everton and Inter, Salah didn't work out at Chelsea but is now a much better player than he was in Serie A, and Kulusevski looks twice the player for Tottenham than he did for Juventus. How do you explain this?