Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

I understand the point you are trying to make here, but against most teams is there really a need for that sort of player? What I am trying to say is, against the more difficult opponents that approach is perfectly reasonable, but against the lesser teams, which are the majority, I just don't see the need as much. Since you and I want us to be a dominant team, that imposes their style on the opposition and doesn't sit back like we currently do, wouldn't it be enough to play Herrera as the more restrained sitting midfielder instead of Matic? Early on I had question marks over NDombele's ability defensively, but I think he is more than good enough there and he still has room to improve.

Deep dive, how did you come up with those players? Is Tonali the one, who plays in Serie B? You don't actually watch the second division there, do you? Maier is the one from Berlin, isn't he? I've mentioned Santiago Caseres, Rodrigo's replacement in another thread, maybe that's someone you want to check out. He's showing some early promise and could present good value.
It's about the balance for me, I want us to be able to impose ourselves on the opposition and be so much more with the ball than we are, but whether Herrera is hunting as a #8 or sitting in a CVasemiro role as a DM, I still feel the 3rd piece needs to be a proper playmaker and I don't think that's Ndombele.

Invictus told me about both players so I watched some videos on them, he was the first person to mention Dalot to me as well funnily enough. Both are in the mold that would suit the role we need and might be good options if we are priced out of Neves as de Jong seems more likely to go Barca.

bucky

Damn bible length post
:lol: I usually don't these. Next time I do a tl:dr part.

It's about the balance for me, I want us to be able to impose ourselves on the opposition and be so much more with the ball than we are, but whether Herrera is hunting as a #8 or sitting in a CVasemiro role as a DM, I still feel the 3rd piece needs to be a proper playmaker and I don't think that's Ndombele.

Invictus told me about both players so I watched some videos on them, he was the first person to mention Dalot to me as well funnily enough. Both are in the mold that would suit the role we need and might be good options if we are priced out of Neves as de Jong seems more likely to go Barca.
I think there are already signs that he's going to be that player, but let's see, I guess.

Looking at Arne Maier's stats he could help by the looks of it or be that player. I was meaning to watch a bit more of Berlin, since Dardai is doing a good job there and they have a few interesting prospects. Then again, you'd have to wonder, if we aren't giving Andreas Pereira more chances to be that player, how would these riskier signings fare.

Devil may care

I think there are already signs that he's going to be that player, but let's see, I guess.

Looking at Arne Maier's stats he could help by the looks of it or be that player. I was meaning to watch a bit more of Berlin, since Dardai is doing a good job there and they have a few interesting prospects. Then again, you'd have to wonder, if we aren't giving Andreas Pereira more chances to be that player, how would these riskier signings fare.
Fair enough, I think he has a killer pass in his boots but I dpn't see him as that metronome passer to control the tempo, I see him as a more dynamic, all action CM. For instance if the worst comes to the worst and Mourinho sees Pogba off, then a double pivot of Neves and Ndombele would be my ideal pairing in Mourinho's preferred 4-2-3-1.

Oh make no mistake mate, all of these players in that age brackett are not happening if Mourinho is still stinking the place out next season, we'll still be fielding Matic every week with doses of Fellaini on a regular basis. I was suggesting players for what I hope will be a new, more progressive manager, unfortunately for Andreas I think the new manager will be too late for him, he'll leave in January IMO.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I still feel the 3rd piece needs to be a proper playmaker and I don't think that's Ndombele.
I dunno, one thing I rate about NDombele is his ability to pick forward passes. I mean he's got 22 Key Passes this Season and Pogba is our highest on 18. He passes the ball a lot too, 834 passes, our highest is Matic on 856, Pogba on 810. He is already that player imo. I've been banging on about this lad for over a season now and whenever I watch him play (probably seen him 10 times over the duration of the year) he's always impressed me with his high tempo play and how quick and skillful he is on the ball. I still think it'd be a bad fit for us because i'm not convinced he'd play well alongside Pogba unless we changed our DM to someone like Herrera. Pogba is always going to be a bit of a passenger in defensive play and we need two players in midfield who will try and win the ball back. Ndombele is one, Matic really isn't.

Devil may care

I dunno, one thing I rate about NDombele is his ability to pick forward passes. I mean he's got 22 Key Passes this Season and Pogba is our highest on 18. He passes the ball a lot too, 834 passes, our highest is Matic on 856, Pogba on 810. He is already that player imo. I've been banging on about this lad for over a season now and whenever I watch him play (probably seen him 10 times over the duration of the year) he's always impressed me with his high tempo play and how quick and skillful he is on the ball. I still think it'd be a bad fit for us because i'm not convinced he'd play well alongside Pogba unless we changed our DM to someone like Herrera. Pogba is always going to be a bit of a passenger in defensive play and we need two players in midfield who will try and win the ball back. Ndombele is one, Matic really isn't.
Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a very good player, the two teams I watch the most outside of the PL are Dortmund and Lyon, so I've seen him a lot, he has a good pass in him no doubt and I love how hew drives with the ball, but to me a playmaker is a different type of player, Pogba has the killer pass in him already, he can open up a defense, but the playmaker moves the pieces, he circulates the ball and opens the game up for the Pogba type of CM to make the killer pass, similar to how Zidane or Iniesta were more about the assist of the assist, or like how Carrick and Scholes fed the ball from deep to the players in the final 3rd, I think we miss the controller more so than the creator and I see Ndombele and Pogba more as the guy the ball is fed to than the orchestrator of play, Pogba needs a Pirlo with him.

Trophy Room

He's a good player but he'll be another 60 million waste. He's not what we need and he won't improve us. Players like him need a manager who will develop them,mourinho won't. I also don't think he has as much potential as everyone is claiming. His current skill set while decent is limited imo. I really don't think he's too different from Fred.(Here comes the abuse :lol:)

Eric's Seagull

He's a good player but he'll be another 60 million waste. He's not what we need and he won't improve us. Players like him need a manager who will develop them,mourinho won't. I also don't think he has as much potential as everyone is claiming. His current skill set while decent is limited imo. I really don't think he's too different from Fred.(Here comes the abuse :lol:)
When Jose goes do you think we should sign him and bring in a manager who is willing to develop him?

Deleted member 101472

Reporter “Mr N’dombele, would you be interested in joining Manchester United”

N’dombele-

Whah do we really expect a coveted player to say these days beyond how much are we going to pay them?

Trophy Room

When Jose goes do you think we should sign him and bring in a manager who is willing to develop him?
'When' Jose goes? He's not going anywhere, anytime soon mate imo. If the question is genuine and not tongue-in-cheek then its still a no from me. I just feel that we lack a real brain/leader in the middle, an elite level player or someone with elite potential. I don't know which player this is but I know its not him. :wenger:

bucky

Fair enough, I think he has a killer pass in his boots but I dpn't see him as that metronome passer to control the tempo, I see him as a more dynamic, all action CM. For instance if the worst comes to the worst and Mourinho sees Pogba off, then a double pivot of Neves and Ndombele would be my ideal pairing in Mourinho's preferred 4-2-3-1.

Oh make no mistake mate, all of these players in that age brackett are not happening if Mourinho is still stinking the place out next season, we'll still be fielding Matic every week with doses of Fellaini on a regular basis. I was suggesting players for what I hope will be a new, more progressive manager, unfortunately for Andreas I think the new manager will be too late for him, he'll leave in January IMO.
Fair points, mate. I still hope that Andreas will be around for the new manager.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a very good player, the two teams I watch the most outside of the PL are Dortmund and Lyon, so I've seen him a lot, he has a good pass in him no doubt and I love how hew drives with the ball, but to me a playmaker is a different type of player, Pogba has the killer pass in him already, he can open up a defense, but the playmaker moves the pieces, he circulates the ball and opens the game up for the Pogba type of CM to make the killer pass, similar to how Zidane or Iniesta were more about the assist of the assist, or like how Carrick and Scholes fed the ball from deep to the players in the final 3rd, I think we miss the controller more so than the creator and I see Ndombele and Pogba more as the guy the ball is fed to than the orchestrator of play, Pogba needs a Pirlo with him.
The metric xGBuildup, I was referencing in an earlier post, was specifically created to quantify what you are describing. Like I said earlier, NDombele's figure going by that metric was similar to Pjanic's and Lucas Torreira's last season. This season, his figure is similar to Ruben Neves' and Modric's so far. Players that are, I would imagine, exactly the sort of player you'd want.

Eric's Seagull

'When' Jose goes? He's not going anywhere, anytime soon mate imo. If the question is genuine and not tongue-in-cheek then its still a no from me. I just feel that we lack a real brain/leader in the middle, an elite level player or someone with elite potential. I don't know which player this is but I know its not him. :wenger:
It was a genuine question, think I should have worded it better. I asked it as I think Jose will be gone by end of season.

Fair justified comment on why you don't want him mate.

Devil may care

Fair points, mate. I still hope that Andreas will be around for the new manager.
I hope so too, but I don't see us getting shot of Mourinho until it's mathematicallyimpossible to make top 4 and I just feel Andreas will want out in the winter window as his career is stalling.

The metric xGBuildup, I was referencing in an earlier post, was specifically created to quantify what you are describing. Like I said earlier, NDombele's figure going by that metric was similar to Pjanic's and Lucas Torreira's last season. This season, his figure is similar to Ruben Neves' and Modric's so far. Players that are, I would imagine, exactly the sort of player you'd want.

Interesting and surprising stats, to the eye that isn't the player I see, but obviously he's providing that aspect of play for Lyon if he matches up with someone like Pjanic, I just can't see him, Pogba and Herrera working but who knows.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@bucky don't you think that he is a little bit like Arthur, I'm surprised that no one else noticed it.

bucky

I hope so too, but I don't see us getting shot of Mourinho until it's mathematicallyimpossible to make top 4 and I just feel Andreas will want out in the winter window as his career is stalling.

Interesting and surprising stats, to the eye that isn't the player I see, but obviously he's providing that aspect of play for Lyon if he matches up with someone like Pjanic, I just can't see him, Pogba and Herrera working but who knows.
I've got nothing more to add other than hopefully we won't let him leave until we have a new manager, which will hopefully happen sooner than later.

Do you think he needs to average more passes per game, improve his passing range and impose himself more in terms of when to slow the game down and when to pick up the tempo with his passing?

@bucky don't you think that he is a little bit like Arthur, I'm surprised that no one else noticed it.
To be perfectly honest, I didn't think of him. I can see it and it's not the worst player to be compared to. I think Arthur is going to excellent for Barcelona, which is probably a very obvious prediction to make.

Eric's Seagull

What do you think?
I like him and would have him in the team, I had wanted him for a while.

I think he could play next to Pogba on the right of midfield. I feel that he has the potential to go very far. Although since breaking into the French squad I expect his value to rise even higher with a supposed fee of "Pogba money" quoted by Lyon chairmen might put us off for a 21 year old.

RooneyLegend

Pogba money for a midfielder with a limited passing range and dodgy defensive ability?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
“He’s thoughtful and intelligent,” Genesio said last season. “With the ball, to make the best use of it, he takes in information before anyone else to make the right choice.

“Without the ball, he brings balance to the team. When Nabil Fekir is out of position, he’s there, providing balance, alongside our defensive midfielder Lucas Tousart.

“He's interesting because he’s one of those players capable of solving tactical problems with his game intelligence.”

Philippe Lemaire, a former scout at Guingamp, who allowed the player to slip through their grasp, put it rather more succinctly.

“He stinks of football,” he told Le Progres. “He is strong and precise. He feels the game. He is capable of creating lightning, to give rhythm to the game, to counterattack but also to press and regain possession.”

https://www.goal.com/en-ae/amp/news...-sensation-compared/mmtz24lr3k8u183w1zpngviv6

Mcking

So I've done the most obvious/lazy thing and looked on Youtube for a compilation of this chap.
My conclusion,and this will now be my closed judgement of the player from now on til he and us cease to live on this earth, is that he's energetic,direct,physical,somewhat skillful and yet never really seems to have full control of the ball.
Sounds like Fred.

Devil may care

I've got nothing more to add other than hopefully we won't let him leave until we have a new manager, which will hopefully happen sooner than later.

Do you think he needs to average more passes per game, improve his passing range and impose himself more in terms of when to slow the game down and when to pick up the tempo with his passing?
The tempo aspect certainly, he plays it forward a lot when I see him which isn't always a bad thing but at times a playmaker needs patience, he nees to see 3 passes ahead so to speak, basically making a couple of simple passes to move the pieces around before trying the more ambitous, cutting pass.

bucky

The tempo aspect certainly, he plays it forward a lot when I see him which isn't always a bad thing but at times a playmaker needs patience, he nees to see 3 passes ahead so to speak, basically making a couple of simple passes to move the pieces around before trying the more ambitous, cutting pass.
I think when Lyon played against Villarreal in the EL last season, I had similar issues with several players in that game and NDombele was one of them. He was forcing the issue far too much. But again I feel like I already see improvement in that regard this season and I think the patience can come with age.

Devil may care

I think when Lyon played against Villarreal in the EL last season, I had similar issues with several players in that game and NDombele was one of them. He was forcing the issue far too much. But again I feel like I already see improvement in that regard this season and I think the patience can come with age.
This is the reason I also don't see Pogba as a playmaker the way some do, I think he's a player capable of magic in the final third, but he lacks the patience in his game to dictate it. Ndombele could well progress in this department though as he's a few years younger. He'd still be my 4th choice unless Pogba goes, then he'd be one of the two CM's I'd hope we bring in.

Loublaze

ATLien
Been a fan of him since the beginning of last season. I think he's an incredible talent.

We are probably looking at who we can bring in should Pogba leave. Ndombele and Neves would add the best part of Pogba's attributes without the flaws.
Yes, until they turn up for United and turn to shite like every player Mourinho has signed

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Never seen him in action, is he like dembele of spurs?
He plays the same type of roles and have the same qualities, he is similar to players like Saul or Arthur(the way he looked with Gremio), midfield dynamos with good technique and vision.

Bestietom

Ndombele and Pelegrini would be 2 that I would love to see in our Midfield.

Last edited:

Bestietom

I really hope this is true also. I wanted him since I first heard about him over a year ago. He would be my number 1 signing for midfield.

Lyon chairman reportedly said "We could imagine that, if we were sellers, we could reach the level of transfer of Paul Pogba".

Which I think he is worth but hope the club think he is value for money.
I would like to see him and Pelegrini in our Midfield. 2 hard working class players.

Bestietom

France Football are saying we're are the club trying hardest to sign him. I sincerely hope this is true, would be a huge upgrade in midfield.
Just hope this is true. But we need to do the deal in January and get in before others.

Eric's Seagull

Ndombele and Pelegrini would be 2 that I would love to see in our Midfield.
Heard a bit about Pelegrini but not seen him play before.
Just watched a YouTube video, and although not the best thing to watch base him on he looked good.

Neat, skillful, not afraid to get stuck in when needed, decent passing, good crosser, wonderful long passes to feet and excellent at the killer through balls catching the defense off guard many times and can score the occasional very good goal.

From what I've seen so far looks a decent prospect. I will have to start watching him regular. Thanks

bucky

This is the reason I also don't see Pogba as a playmaker the way some do, I think he's a player capable of magic in the final third, but he lacks the patience in his game to dictate it. Ndombele could well progress in this department though as he's a few years younger. He'd still be my 4th choice unless Pogba goes, then he'd be one of the two CM's I'd hope we bring in.
Neves and de Jong, I'd assume, who else?

Mcking

The last two Lyon games I've watched, he's not being in the starting XI. Anyone know why?

bucky

Not even on the bench against Montpellier. Not sure if he's injured though.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

The last two Lyon games I've watched, he's not being in the starting XI. Anyone know why?
Not even on the bench against Montpellier. Not sure if he's injured though.
He has had some fitness issues in the past few weeks, he wasn't starting against Shaktar because of it, he was brought back during a CUP GAME but went out with a knock so he's being rested again.

bucky

He has had some fitness issues in the past few weeks, he wasn't starting against Shaktar because of it, he was brought back during a CUP GAME but went out with a knock so he's being rested again.
Ah thanks for clearing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.